PDA

View Full Version : Informal settlement

Glyon
02-22-2015, 05:13 AM
This is a dwelling from an informal settlement- 42x30 cm acrylic on canvas board. C&cs welcome. George

Jon
02-22-2015, 02:34 PM
The wires and posts help move the eye around the work. A pleasant little scene and I like the addition of the clothes on the line.

AnnieA
02-22-2015, 02:35 PM
The first thing I notice about this painting is that it makes me feel curious about the backstory: What is an "informal settlement;" ...who is that guy in the white robe and why is he wearing it? ...what is the building made of and is it a permanent building or temporary? ...what is the building's use (the laundry line makes it seem like a dwelling, but then the sign above the door suggests maybe not)? ...what does the sign above the door say? I think making someone curious is a really good thing and your painting does it very well.

On an aesthetic level, I like the color choices you made here. The orangey-red of the foreground works very well with the blue in the mountains.

Dcam
02-22-2015, 04:14 PM
This reminds me of some "settlements" in Arizona inhabited by Native Americans. I like the direct approach you use. Enjoyed this.
Derek

AnnieA
02-22-2015, 05:33 PM
Hey, Glyon! I didn't notice at first that you're new here. Welcome to WC and to our new forum too! :wave:

bhavani.krishnan
02-23-2015, 08:08 PM
Nice work. I really like the building and fore ground.

baptist
02-24-2015, 04:38 AM
Interesting work Glyon . I think the man is important in this painting. Therefore, I would have put him in an important position. The main site is the "golden section" By the way if you frame this work you can't see the figure no more.........................jan :)

Glyon
02-24-2015, 03:10 PM
Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. Much appreciated. George