PDA

View Full Version : pan pastels for street views

Enid Goyers
02-21-2015, 02:34 PM
Hi,
Can pan pastels be used for street scenes? I'd like to share any kind of experience if available.
Thanks for any comment.
enid

*Deirdre*
02-21-2015, 04:14 PM
I'm moving this to Pastel Talk but I'll leave a redirect, just in case!

My answer, is yes, you can...and I did with this one...http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2015/33616-street.jpg
for Johannes Vloothuis Cityscape Essentials class. It is mostly Panpastels, few stick and some pencils

Blayne
02-22-2015, 06:47 PM
Deirdre, that's such a lovely street scene!

robertsloan2
02-23-2015, 04:11 PM
Best example I can think of. The class recordings are still available at North Light too, you can get a lot of useful techniques for Pan Pastels in them.

One trick he uses to get hard edges is laying a piece of paper where you want a straight hard edge and masking it, then moving aside. Not even tape. Sometimes in cityscapes you want a very hard edge and getting those with Pans is tricky. The other way to get hard edges is the small sponges, like the wedge sponge, where the edge can be laid down and the stroke pulled away from it. The rounded sponge can give curves that way too.

Any subject can be painted well in Pans. They handle like paint. Opaque or semi-opaque paint. Layering them takes pressing down and not pulling hard because you can smear what's under it or mix, but a "pat" stroke well loaded (three swipes on the pan and one pat on the painting) will put color over color pretty well. It takes a bit of practice because they don't exactly handle like paint either. Best surface I found is the smooth fine coated ones like PastelMat or Colourfix Suede.

JPQ
03-08-2015, 05:28 PM
Very nice work. Makes me think again little more getting of them..