PDA

View Full Version : What is Urban Art?

Artyczar
02-20-2015, 02:40 PM
I would like to understand what urban art is vs. landscape art. Is it just cityscapes? I hope someone can shed some light on this for me on what else it entails.

Thanks! :wave:

Jon
02-20-2015, 02:48 PM
As the header notes: Urban art is a style of art that relates to cities and city life often done by artists who live in or have a passion for city life.

For me it includes the exterior and interiors of buildings, the streets, and the people who populate the city.

claude j greengrass
02-20-2015, 02:52 PM
IMOSHO, a landscape set in an urban environment as apposed to a rural one is urban art. It doesn't have to be a cityscape though I tend to think of cityscapes when I think about urban art. I would consider graffiti on a wall or subway train urban art.

It's a big room (urban art) with a large scope for many interpretations.

coolside
02-20-2015, 06:39 PM
When I saw this forum name I thought 'oh, graffiti.' So I looked it up on the ever-reliable :) Wikipedia: Urban_art (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_art) "The notion of 'Urban Art' developed from street art which is primarily concerned with graffiti culture. Urban art represents a broader cross section of artists that as well as covering traditional street artists working in formal gallery spaces also covers artists using more traditional media but with a subject matter that deals with contemporary urban culture and political issues."

opainter
02-20-2015, 10:01 PM
It would appear from the name of the forum - Urban Art/Cityscapes - that the subjects here would include both "urban art" in the sense of, as well as descended from, "street art" (also known as "graffiti") and in the sense of the more traditional cityscape.

Ps. The distinction between street art and cityscape is probably pretty fluid nowadays. Because of its association with property defacement, graffiti is still pretty controversial as an art form. But the same could probably have been said for abstract art when it was nouveau.

Dcam
02-20-2015, 10:06 PM
concrete, steel, telephone poles, transportation, crowds, streets, yes: graffiti and the like, big buildings, bridges, viaducts, very cool!

mountains, lakes, trees and meadows.......maybe not :lol:

coolside
02-21-2015, 10:37 AM
concrete, steel, telephone poles, transportation, crowds, streets, ...I'm just thinking there is more to Urban Art than just a landscape with the trees replaced by buildings and rivers by railroads.
There is a whole category of current & postmodern landscape painting that basically sees the great outdoors as something alien, ugly, and completely unrelated to the lives of the vast majority of people. I would think of those as Urban Art (the exact opposite of popular romantic, people-less plein air landscapes), while at the same time the also popular genre of dreamy street-scapes would fit more - and are usually found with - other landscapes, and don't seem to be Urban Art at all.
From the wikipedia definition -"Urban Art...a subject matter that deals with contemporary urban culture and political issues."

Dcam
02-21-2015, 12:32 PM
I included graffiti in my comment.

Also: this is going to be a fun forum. I think we may tend to get too
"Urbanically" Correct ?

:) Derek

ColinS
02-21-2015, 02:32 PM
IMOSHO, a landscape set in an urban environment as apposed to a rural one is urban art. It doesn't have to be a cityscape though I tend to think of cityscapes when I think about urban art. I would consider graffiti on a wall or subway train urban art.

It's a big room (urban art) with a large scope for many interpretations.

Yes, big room, lots of scope to explore the 'urban art' scene.

AnnieA
02-21-2015, 11:11 PM
It's interesting that the wikipedia definition seems a little contradictory. The very first part, that Jon quoted, seems to be talking about landscapes with the city and people in the city as their subject matter.

Urban art (from Latin urbanus, itself from urbs (“city”)) is a style of art that relates to cities and city life often done by artists who live in or have a passion for city life.

Then the second sentence seems to go in a different direction, saying,
In that way urban art combines street art and graffiti and is often used to summarize all visual art forms arising in urban areas, being inspired by urban architecture or thematizing urban live (sic) style.

My first thought is why, if the term "street art: already existed, would "urban art" be defined as pretty much the same thing (if I'm reading it right), but I like the idea that there is a huge amount of room for interpretation - it should make things interesting and exciting here.

Cerastes
02-23-2015, 08:56 PM
To me cityscapes are landscapes in an outdoor setting where the structures of humans dominate that landscape. Urban art can be anything within a human-dominated setting, but aren't necessarily landscapes.

Cerastes
02-23-2015, 09:04 PM
Also so happy there is finally a forum on this subject!!!