PDA

View Full Version : Journey of the 23 yo Rookie

Nuunc
02-19-2015, 06:47 PM
I have had a love growing for art since I turned 23, unfortunately I was letting my age get in the way of enjoying it. Now turning 24 and changing so much personally, I realized I need to stop worrying of other artists and them starting at younger ages.

After seeing MindCandyMan's work and seeing that he learned later in life and it inspired me to stop crying over those who started as kids.

I couldn't figure out how to rename my old thread of when I was 23, so here's an update. I started shading and taking in still life

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2015/1775952-helmet.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2015/1775952-hand1.jpg

DrDebby
02-19-2015, 06:55 PM
You can start art at any age. :)

These are delightful sketches.

Nuunc
02-19-2015, 07:19 PM
Thanks! I'm going to try to get practice in every day, or at LEAST once a week. I know I can start at any age but I had very low confidence a year ago. It's amazing how much we can change. I have had a new job the last 6 months that has completely reshaped me. Now I'm all about, well now.

Even if I'm late, and even if I never actually make it as a career, there are just far too many ideas and things I need to get from my mind to paper.

Joan T
02-19-2015, 09:06 PM
Great job on the hand and the helmet. Your shading is really good.

Like any skill drawing takes practice. Even if you can only sketch for a few minutes a day you will see improvement in your drawings...so keep at it.

vhere
02-20-2015, 11:51 AM
Never too late :)

Nuunc
02-20-2015, 10:17 PM
Thanks Joan!

That's kind of what happened to me this time. I only really got enough time to draw just this(worked 11 hours), but it's better than nothing!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2015/1775952-hand2.jpg

eyepaint
02-21-2015, 12:34 AM
Good job, keep at it :)

DrDebby
02-21-2015, 02:54 PM
The great thing about drawing hands is you are carrying the model with you. :lol: Great job.

Joan T
02-22-2015, 06:38 PM
I agree with Debby. Hands are a great subject because you have them with you. Great sketch!

Nuunc
02-22-2015, 11:06 PM
So here's a late upload, I've been working 10-12 hour days and barely had energy to get to the bed.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2015/1775952-feb_20.jpg

Nuunc
02-22-2015, 11:07 PM
Yes, I totally agree, Debby! Hands seem to come a little naturally to me. I tried a little bit of drawing eyes and OH GOD, I AM DREADING IT. Feet also look so very intimidating.

I will admit that my thumb is not that long, so I am definitely off on anatomy.

Also I have a question, when you sketch something and start to shade in. How can you change the shades? If I try to sketch there and it'll leave the mark even with my blending pencil going over the area. (I'll show this issue when I upload the eye practice. Though I'm terribly tired today to finish the rest of the empty parts of the paper)

DrDebby
02-23-2015, 04:15 PM
Great practice. When shading, start with very light layers and build up the shading a bit at a time. Do push the darks, but sneak up on them so you have the gradual shadow from light to dark. Also using different grades of graphite can help.

Nuunc
02-23-2015, 05:13 PM
Thanks Debby, I've drawn a few eyes today and am just taking a tiny break. I'll try that when I go back. It seems in the book that they got a better dark shadows (Like the pupils) while mine seem to still have white spots in them no matter the strength or blending.

Would that have to do with the type of paper (It's pretty cheap sketch paper since, well I'm focusing on practice)

Joan T
02-23-2015, 05:30 PM
Good job on the hands and the nose in various positions!!! It is hard to find time to sketch when you work long hours. I used to fear sketching body parts until one year over in the Artwork from Life Forum we picked some body part to focus on for a month at a time. We did hands, feet, eyes, noses, ears. It made me much more comfortable sketching them now.

Nuunc
02-23-2015, 07:41 PM
Thanks! The nose at an upward position was ridiculously hard to draw.

I have been spending about 20-40 minutes on each eye and well.... I think I would go crazy drawing just one part for a whole month. I would definitely want to eventually draw that much worth of time of each body part, but I was going to stick to rotating them. I'll be uploading tomorrow once I finish this big sheet and fill it with eyes.

Someone said I should focus less on detail and shading and more on gesture drawings, should I do that instead of continue doing it the way I am?

vhere
02-24-2015, 03:32 AM
Both :)

Nuunc
02-24-2015, 08:11 PM
Here are the top eyes I got the last 3 days, tomorrow and I'll start practicing side view:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2015/1775952-feb_23.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2015/1775952-feb_22.jpg

Nuunc
02-25-2015, 01:52 PM
Alright Vhere, I am doing both :P

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2015/1775952-feb_24.jpg

I was gesture drawing at first by just trying to copy and was told to use shapes. Which is helping, though I need to read or watch a tutorial since I'm not sure where the bones/shapes should end. I do notice many proportional issues I need to work on though the shapes are helping me a lot with the torso, head, and feet.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2015/1775952-feb_25.jpg

The ones to the bottom are the latest ones. You can see the two dancing at the right side, where I first tried just drawing it as a whole versus when I started using shapes.

DrDebby
02-25-2015, 02:00 PM
Great practice going on here. You are doing marvelous.

eyepaint
02-25-2015, 02:18 PM
Great practice going on here. You are doing marvelous.
Ditto!

Nuunc
02-26-2015, 10:43 PM
Thank you Debby and EyePaint! The more I practice the more fun I have.

Some more gesture drawing practice, it's pretty addicting!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2015/1775952-feb26.jpg

Many of these were nudes, 10 minute sketches except those with clothes shown.

DrDebby
02-27-2015, 01:53 PM
Great gestures. I'll see about adding a "butt" icon to the thread since you are showing nudes.

Nuunc
02-27-2015, 10:27 PM
Woops, sorry!

Thanks eyepaint for adding that, I for some reason cannot edit my old posts- so if you could add a butt icon to the first gesture drawing as well? (Since all the way to the right contains one nude)

Nuunc
03-08-2015, 09:01 PM
I'll be updating tomorrow, I've been busy with work and was trying my hand at texturing for someone. I'm currently drawing something from a game I like though I'll get back to fundamentals and foundation practice after.

Nuunc
03-12-2015, 12:26 AM
Sorry I haven't been posting! Got so caught up with corporate visiting work, though I started sketching little digital things. Here's a random sketch but besides this and I'm making a cleaner line art to another sketch (That's LOZ related. I'll be doing the foundations to art again while doing that fanart that I was enjoying)

Here's a random sketch to warm back into things since corporate has left the premises! \o/ Hair color is different because I was trying to decide which one looked better. XD

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Mar-2015/1775952-march12.jpg

DrDebby
03-12-2015, 01:51 PM
Cute.

Joan T
03-17-2015, 09:32 PM
Great gesture sketches...love the poses. The last sketch is adorable!

Nuunc
03-30-2015, 11:18 PM
Sorry for the delay, it was a busy busy month. And my birthday! Which my friends decided to celebrate nearly the entire week XD I will be uploading again tomorrow!

eyepaint
03-31-2015, 12:26 AM
I'll be watching for it :)

Nuunc
03-31-2015, 10:34 PM
Alright here is me warming back up into things, I will start back to fundamentals tomorrow.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2015/1775952-butts.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2015/1775952-buttsss.jpg

DrDebby
04-01-2015, 01:20 PM
Good practice.

Joan T
05-23-2015, 05:26 PM
Nice work on these!

Davkin
07-13-2015, 04:16 PM
I selected "40's" even though I did draw some in my youth but I never really worked at it that hard or stuck with it so I don't count it.

vhere
03-02-2016, 02:14 PM
I selected birth because I was always happy with paper and crayons or paint and one of my earliest memories is going down the road to the post box to post a drawing to my father. I was 18 months old and he was in Gibraltar sorting out accomodation for my mother and I to join him.

It's a clear memory because of the commotion of mother and grandmother chasing after me when they realised I'd gone from the garden, worried sick I'd get lost! I always did a 'drawing' at the end of my mother's letters to him and was amazed at the fuss they were making!

I studied art at school, went to art college and did my foundation year but then dropped out at the end of that year, married had family and didn't start painting again until the kids grew and I had time. Then after a while, I went back to finish my degree as they did their exams and started uni, juggling family, part time work and degree ... schizo, hard work but brilliant! So never too late if you put the work in.

Deborah Susan Hill
03-02-2016, 04:36 PM
Yes, I totally agree, Debby! Hands seem to come a little naturally to me. I tried a little bit of drawing eyes and OH GOD, I AM DREADING IT. Feet also look so very intimidating.

I will admit that my thumb is not that long, so I am definitely off on anatomy.

Also I have a question, when you sketch something and start to shade in. How can you change the shades? If I try to sketch there and it'll leave the mark even with my blending pencil going over the area. (I'll show this issue when I upload the eye practice. Though I'm terribly tired today to finish the rest of the empty parts of the paper)

Hi there Rookie! We all started somewhere at some age or another! The main thing is to just go for it! The more you draw, the better you will get at it! Don't let any part of anatomy intimidate you. Feet aren't all that hard to do once you break things down into the basic shapes that compose them. The same goes for hands and eyes as well as other body parts if you look at the ends of fingers and toes, they are essentially rounded or oval. fingers are stair stepped cylinders. if you look at the hands from the side you will note that where the joints are, they look somewhat like a bump on a ski hill or a slight stair step but rounded instead of squared off with a slight dip after each joint as you move down the hand toward the fingertips. You should be able to find decent diagrams of the human skeleton and the various joints and tendons right here on the internet with a simple google search and doing studies of the underlying bones and tendons will give your hands a more fluid and graceful look as you will be able to understand better what you are drawing. So far, so good though, and as I said, we all started somewhere! The main thing is not to compare your work to that of someone who has been at it for their entire lifespan because it is an unfair comparison. Certainly look at works by master painters. People like Leonardo Davinci and Raphael and Michelangelo. They all studied anatomy and likely did dissections to figure out how things were put together. Thankfully, you needn't go to that extreme as the groundwork has already been done for you and there are anatomy books and charts readily available right here on the internet. Go for it. The better you understand the morphology of your subject, the more lifelike and believable it will be! As always, Deb Hill

robertsloan2
12-24-2016, 02:25 PM
I can remember being a toddler drawing a tyrannosaur. I was thoroughly frustrated with it because I didn't manage to make it dimensional or realistic, but my father was very proud. I'd drawn the teeth from the other side of the jaw between the teeth alongside the jaw, but didn't know how to round the head. Thinking back, it wasn't as bad as I thought, but I couldn't articulate that I needed shading and wanted proportion with the animal's body.

A few years later around age nine or ten, I was drawing fossil teeth from life from models my dad the paleontologist gave me. When I got the pencil accurate, I got to use his Rapidograph pens to ink it and gently erase the pencil shading. I illustrated one of his scientific papers on a little Cretaceous insectivore with a jaw, a tooth, and a life reconstruction. "Just make it look something like a gerbil or a kangaroo mouse," Dad said. I'd done well drawing my pet rat, so managed the proportions well. For that, he gave me my own Rapidograph technical pen.

I wish I still had it, back then they were black and heavy like old classic fountain pens, with a color tip showing the point size.

That gave me a lifelong interest in drawing, nature drawing and life sketching. I'm only now getting to where I'm sometimes satisfied with my work, especially cats.

eyepaint
12-30-2016, 02:55 PM
I enjoy your story of your art, Robert. Imagine to remember such detail!

Nuunc
05-09-2017, 08:57 PM
I can remember being a toddler drawing a tyrannosaur. I was thoroughly frustrated with it because I didn't manage to make it dimensional or realistic, but my father was very proud. I'd drawn the teeth from the other side of the jaw between the teeth alongside the jaw, but didn't know how to round the head. Thinking back, it wasn't as bad as I thought, but I couldn't articulate that I needed shading and wanted proportion with the animal's body.

A few years later around age nine or ten, I was drawing fossil teeth from life from models my dad the paleontologist gave me. When I got the pencil accurate, I got to use his Rapidograph pens to ink it and gently erase the pencil shading. I illustrated one of his scientific papers on a little Cretaceous insectivore with a jaw, a tooth, and a life reconstruction. "Just make it look something like a gerbil or a kangaroo mouse," Dad said. I'd done well drawing my pet rat, so managed the proportions well. For that, he gave me my own Rapidograph technical pen.

I wish I still had it, back then they were black and heavy like old classic fountain pens, with a color tip showing the point size.

That gave me a lifelong interest in drawing, nature drawing and life sketching. I'm only now getting to where I'm sometimes satisfied with my work, especially cats.

I'm happy to know there are such supportive parents out there. Your dad sounds amazing and I hope you appreciate the interest and passionate for drawing he grew inside of you. I'm now 26 since I have made this thread and sadly had stopped drawing. Though for good reasons, was working 70 hrs, buying a house, etc. I just got back into it. I find that I love drawing but with how my dad used to tear my drawings up and say they suck, it's hard to get out of the habit of comparing my art and hearing his voice echo for me to quit. I think it's helped now that I have my own home and am miles away from him. I find the far less stress is bringing back that passion.

It's hard not to go, "If only I had kept drawing when I was a kid." I'm terrible at that regret, but I'm learning to push past it. And I know there are a lot of people who have drawn far more than I have and I for once actually feel like I'm a little more progressed than they are. So it's teaching me that sometimes, even if you only draw 10 things until 26 years old and there's also the maturity and experience in looking at life that helps than a 14 year old that's drawn day in and day out.

Nuunc
05-09-2017, 09:01 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2017/1775952-Bugbear.jpg

I haven't been practices like I wish I had been. I can't believe it's been 3 years since this thread. Time flew. But I'm learning to stop regretting that I haven't been drawing all my life or even the last 3 years. Buying a house took it's toll. I just started getting into it again. Though I've been playing with fantasy drawings instead of the typical practicing eyes, hands, etc.

eyepaint
05-10-2017, 09:58 AM
Well done! You have figured out the fountain of youth to remain 23 for 3 years :) Congrats on the house!

Nuunc
05-14-2017, 08:39 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2017/1775952-Ghoul.jpg

And haha Eyepaint! I suppose I have, live forever young via topic name :P

Nuunc
05-14-2017, 08:40 PM
I know I should be practicing more realism still and am setting up the art room to dedicate that and practicing more in general for. But I've just been in the mood for strange creatures so here these are XD

Joan T
06-05-2017, 01:49 PM
Keep up the good work! These are nice.

I have been doing some kind of art/drawing since I was little. My dad build us a big table down in the basement. He worked in a print shop so there was always a lot of paper for drawing. My sisters, my brother, and I would spend hours down there. The girls of course spent time making our own paper dolls and fashions to go with them. It helped to have parents that encouraged our drawing...or just wanted us down in the basement where they didn't have to hear us. lol

Munin Raven
08-12-2017, 01:13 PM
Nice imaginative sketches. I hope you keep pushing that internal button. I'm very fond of the troll/long eared bat (?) hybrid.