PDA

View Full Version : Sketching tip

rodinnc
06-09-2000, 10:43 AM
In response to the request for more activity on this message board I decided to pass along a tip when sketching in the field.
I take an old 4"x6" photo and use it to draw an outline box on my sketch pad. Then I draw my scene in that box. A 4x6 box is approximately the same aspect ratio of a half sheet (15"x22") watercolor paper, i.e. 1/4 the length and width. Therefore when I plan the composition of my sketch within this box it will approximately fit on my half sheet paper.
For those who use watercolor blocks the same 4x6 size is approximately the same aspect ratio of 8"x12" blocks.
A4x6 box does not relate to a 1/4 sheet of paper, but a 5x7 photo is close.
I'm sure those experienced painters out there can just eyeball their sketches, but for a beginner like me I was always redrawing my field sketch to arrange the composition to fit my paper.
Hope this can be of some help.

Rod L.

oleCC
06-09-2000, 05:03 PM
Good tip RodL...here is another one that works...
Take a cut out mat (preferably the size of the painting you intend to do) and use it to focus the scene as you sketch. It helps to block out side scenes that may be distracting too. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif Carol