PDA

View Full Version : limited edition drypoints

theanimallover
02-14-2015, 11:15 AM
I have a few questions about limited edition drypoints.
Firstly, Each one comes out differently as I leave a lot of ink on the plate, can they still be called limited editions of they look different?
Secondly, how do you then reproduce the design as greeting cards? What I mean is do you print a separate one like a proof for the cards? Or keep one unsigned and in numbered until you have made the cards?
Thanks in advance.

karenlee
02-15-2015, 09:49 AM
I think it would be difficult to make a uniform edition in drypoint, as the burr will be compressed by each impression. Would you be satisfied with choosing the best impression and reproducing it for cards?

LynnM
02-15-2015, 12:37 PM
It depends on how you want to sell the cards. The actual drypoint prints can be sold for more than a reproduction of one of them, but you can sell more of the reproductions. If they are gifts, I prefer to use the drypoints themselves, but you may only get 20 or so before the image is degraded, or at least much different from the initial prints. That's OK, that is the nature of drypoint. I have one plate I don't print any more, it has lost the soft burr, and although some might like it, it does not have the 'drypoint' quality of the initial prints.

And of course there is the whole discussion of 'reproductions' of hand pulled prints. For cards, I think it is OK to use the reproductions.

theanimallover
02-15-2015, 12:40 PM
Thanks karenlee, I did consider just picking one to copy for cards and selling the rest just as they are, signed but unlimited.

theanimallover
02-15-2015, 12:48 PM
Hi Lynn I only do about 5-10 prints as I use plexiglass. doesn't last too long.
So when you make your 20 do you sell as limited editions?
Thanks.

BeLing
02-17-2015, 01:15 PM
If you are leaving a lot of ink on the plate, I might be inclined to call the prints "monoprints" in which case each one could be called an original.

nanakki
03-02-2015, 06:12 AM
You can call it a "variable edition" to cover your bases. That's the nature of drypoint. I do drypoint, but my greeting cards are just a reproduction - I would find it too tedious to hand pull an edition for something as disposable as greeting cards :)