PDA

View Full Version : Question about acrylic gel medium ...

Jay-bird77
02-10-2015, 04:07 PM
I'm newbie to pastels and absolutely loving it as well!! I've been using Strathmore 140lb.c.p. watercolor paper...That's it! I know,I know. I Like the medium so much that it was all I had to work with. I did buy a Strathmore pastel paper 400 series but that paper was more like colors drawing paper! Only a textured surface so I've heard that I'll be able to achieve a greater range of effects in my work. Anyways...
If I apply a few thin coats of Golden's acrylic gel medium with pumice to a piece of 140 lb. C.p. watercolor paper would it buckle or should I paint a primer on the reverse or just buy a sheet of 300lb watercolor paper?
I'd appreciate any and all suggestions I'm so excited to paint on this sanded surface thanks everyone!!

Blayne
02-10-2015, 06:28 PM
The medium with pumice sounds perfect. Perhaps try it on a scrap piece first. You can dry it with a hair dryer to see results quickly.

RickinNM
02-10-2015, 06:33 PM
I have tried that. I used liquitex clear gel med or clear gesso with marble dust or with fine pumice. I liked pumice better . Foam brushes makes a nice even layer . But the brush strokes look kinda nice in some paintings. I had 90 & 140 lbs . the art spectrum colorfix is on 90 lbs wc paper I do like that stuff. They sell just the coating also . Used it also same result as below.

10"x12" ish below in size didn't warp above they did. Thats a on average not hard data point. But warping is fixable . Didnt try 300lbs paper . When coated it seemed even the rough finish was similar to the cp or hp.

Grandma use to water color a lot she tried taping and still some warped she steam ironed some and others she used this trick.

You can take the warped sheet wet the back with a mister lay on a flat surface with a cloth put a board on top stack books bricks rocks any thing for weight. just make sure it cant stick to the table or board. Wait 24 hrs if not right repeat . I have some larger wc paper to try a larger size like 20x24 haven't tried larger sizes 12x16 is the largest i have tried

It works well. Never tried the iron .

This worked well for me but my energy and time is precious I would buy rather than make right now its a health thing.

Forgot to mention NEVER use a good brush for this it will ruin good brushes.

Equus Art
02-10-2015, 07:58 PM
I have used the Golden gel medium on foam core boards and have loved the results. I know folks have said that the foam core can warp but I haven't found it to do so. The largest size I have used is about 11 x 14. I have also tinted the medium with liquid acrylic paints and really do love the effect. I use a foam brush, as Rick suggested, and you can get either very smooth results for an even finish or you can go crazy applying it in different directions for more texture. It also drys pretty fast as well.

Cat

robertsloan2
02-11-2015, 06:52 AM
One thing I have noticed about warping and primers is that leaving a generous area around the primed area seriously reduces it. Other than that, either priming the back or dampening it and flattening under weights will work if warping happens.

I'm used to working smaller than 9" x 12" so it's not usually a problem. But even then it sometimes happens, much less likely when I leave a border. It also makes it pretty easy to see that border by the texture change after I paint on it. Leaving the masking tape on till the art's done means your pastel painting will have nice sharp edges afterward and look very clean.