PDA

View Full Version : Clip Frames for Plein Air Event

creativevintage
02-05-2015, 02:03 PM
I am doing some research on framing pastels at plein air events...I have been chosen to be one of the artists participating in a plein air event in Jacksonville, FL in April, A Brush with Nature. I have never done this before and I don't seem to be able to find any rules regarding framing for the event. Would it be appropriate to use those clip-style frames if I mat my work?

It seems that I have heard that most people who buy art at these events re-frame so it doesn't make sense to invest in high quality frames, but the pieces do need to be framed....any suggestions?

Blayne
02-05-2015, 02:50 PM
I don't know anything about clip frames--I'll have to check those out. A friend who does lots of plein air events uses plein air style frames and does not mat her paintings. They look very nice. Jerry's Artorama has an excellent price if you buy the plein air frame in sets of 10 of the same size, and currently has 20 percent off with free shipping over $99,I think.

westcoast_Mike
02-05-2015, 03:09 PM
Skip mating. It will take too much time and be a PITA on location. Go with a “plein air” frame. Make sure the rabbet is at least 5/8”. You can get away with ˝”, but it’s tight. Get your glass cut to size ahead of time and mount your work using Econospace spacers. Artright.com is a good source for these. For most frames, you will want the 1/8” spacers. You can mount the spacers on the glass in advance to save time. You will then just need to trim your work to size, and mount with a pointing tool. I like to work on mounted stock. It saves the need of dealing with a backing piece later on. If you use flex points, these can be inserted in advance as well using an existing mounted piece of work to set the right location. Good luck and have fun. It’s blast participating in these.

creativevintage
02-05-2015, 04:53 PM
Mike, thanks for the suggestions!

Norma46
02-13-2015, 03:05 PM
I checked out clip frames on Blick and in the description of the product the sites suggests that they are not suitablefor soft or oil pastels or oil paintings.