PDA

View Full Version : Making Titanium White Less Opaque in Oils

Bradicus
02-05-2015, 12:11 AM
I was curious what clear fillers,etc are availible to add to TW to make more transparent.
The target is semi transparent, but semi opaque is acceptable.

Gamblin flake white replacement is ok, but its consistancy is odd.
But that is my goal, to make TW a bit more well rounded.

As has been stated many times, TW can be caulky: epecially in portraiture.
I personally like TW just fine except it takes some much extra work to incorperate into delicate work.

I am avoiding lead white for the time being for family safety reasons.

Any info would be appreciated.
Cheers, Brad

For ref:I use m.graham, grum soft form, and a very little bit of gamblin flake white replacement. The first two have some zinc added by the manufacture.

Patrick1
02-05-2015, 04:44 AM
Maybe adding fumed silica/oil mix? Never tried that stuff yet but it looks like it makes an awesome colorless, oil medium/paste.

Or use Zinc White instead of T. White? I've tried Zinc White (only in Amsterdam Student Grade acrylics) and found it to be far too weak and transparent to use as an opaque white, but nice as a delicate blending white or blending medium.

Gigalot
02-05-2015, 05:44 AM
I do silly, but effective thing. I just bought student grade Zinc White, it dries extremely fast and it is quite weak to make a varied in opacity mixing with Titanium White.
I also have Wuxi Titanium White, as it is much less opaque paint. A lot of Kaolin added there makes relatively low tinting strength.

You can try to mix Permalba White, which is extremely good white, with something like Calcium Carbonate mediums, Transparent mediums, Daler Rowney Georgian Zinc White e.t.c

yellow_oxide
02-05-2015, 09:07 AM
Barite (PW22) (http://www.artiscreation.com/white.html#PW22) can be added as a filler to oil paints. Rubev has a "white" paint (http://www.naturalpigments.com/barite-oil-paint.html) that's made entirely from that pigment. Mixing that paint into any titanium white will weaken its tinting strength, and I assume it'll be more transparent.

Brian Firth
02-05-2015, 05:56 PM
I would say Aluminium Hydroxide PW24 would be the best additive to add transparency while maintaining the body of your paint. Daniel Smith sells a "transparent blender" and Art Spectrum sell it as "clear" oil paint. Also Grumbacher has a product called gel transparentizer which I believe is PW24. These would all work along with chalk, fumed silica or barium sulfate like recommended above.

Bradicus
02-05-2015, 10:09 PM
Thank you very much for the leads: all of you.

I have to say I am Trying to stay away from to much zinc in the white.

Havent heard of several of the mentioned options, so will check them out.

Your responses are appreciated,
Brad

Bradicus
02-14-2015, 01:56 AM
So I cruised around Natural Pigments and found two very interesting products.
Walnut oil gel and Oleoresgel.
Anyone used? Both have fumed silica.
Look prefect for what I want: going to order one of each. Comes in a 50ml tube.

Write up from site below.
Walnut Oil Gel is a thixotropic painting medium made with walnut oil and pyrogenic silica. Walnut Oil Gel is a clear pale amber gel that adds transparency and thixotropic body to oil, resin-oil or alkyd paint. Add directly to your paint to give it transparency without thinning its consistency. Add pigments or extenders to thicken it for creating impasto effects that do not sink in.

Walnut Oil Gel does not contain driers or solvents, so it is safe to use in oil painting without worry of cracking. When mixed with oil colors, Walnut Oil Gel will increase the drying time.
Oleoresgel is a thixotropic gel painting medium made with bodied linseed oil, alkyd resin, odorless mineral spirits and pyrogenic (fumed) silica. Oleoresgel is a clear pale amber gel that adds transparency and thixotropic body to oil, resin-oil or alkyd paint. Add directly to your paint to give it transparency without thinning its consistency. Add pigments or extenders to thicken it for creating impasto effects that do not sink in.

Oleoresgel does not contain driers, so it is safe to use in oil painting without worry of cracking. When mixed with colors, Oleoresgel does not increase the drying time, but rather shortens the setting and drying time.

Gigalot
02-14-2015, 02:40 AM
So I cruised around Natural Pigments and found two very interesting products.
Walnut oil gel and Oleoresgel.
Anyone used? Both have fumed silica.
Look prefect for what I want: going to order one of each. Comes in a 50ml tube.

Write up from site below.
Walnut Oil Gel is a thixotropic painting medium made with walnut oil and pyrogenic silica. Walnut Oil Gel is a clear pale amber gel that adds transparency and thixotropic body to oil, resin-oil or alkyd paint. Add directly to your paint to give it transparency without thinning its consistency. Add pigments or extenders to thicken it for creating impasto effects that do not sink in.

Walnut Oil Gel does not contain driers or solvents, so it is safe to use in oil painting without worry of cracking. When mixed with oil colors, Walnut Oil Gel will increase the drying time.
Oleoresgel is a thixotropic gel painting medium made with bodied linseed oil, alkyd resin, odorless mineral spirits and pyrogenic (fumed) silica. Oleoresgel is a clear pale amber gel that adds transparency and thixotropic body to oil, resin-oil or alkyd paint. Add directly to your paint to give it transparency without thinning its consistency. Add pigments or extenders to thicken it for creating impasto effects that do not sink in.

Oleoresgel does not contain driers, so it is safe to use in oil painting without worry of cracking. When mixed with colors, Oleoresgel does not increase the drying time, but rather shortens the setting and drying time.

Epoxide oil gel:
Epoxide Oil Gel is a thixotropic painting medium made with dicyclopentadiene copolymer linseed oil and pyrogenic silica.
http://www.naturalpigments.com/epoxide-oil-gel.html

Crystal1
02-14-2015, 11:32 AM
I am mixing a painting gel with titanium white to make it less chalky for portraits. Also, I just bought some of Holbein's Ceramic White, which is supposed to be between Titanium White and Zinc white in color. Ceramic White is also supposed to between Titanium White and Zinc White in opaqueness, although I haven't had a chance to use it yet. Happy painting.

Bradicus
02-14-2015, 01:23 PM
Alex,
Do you think There is anything better about Exoxide Oil gel over Wanut gel or Oleoresgel?
I ask because Exoxide Gel is stated to be tacky, and so not to be mixed over 30%. It didnt really seem to suit as well. I want my paint to flow.

Crystal,
Thanks for the info on Holbien. What paint gel are you using?

Cheers,
Brad

Epoxide Oil Gel is a thixotropic painting medium made with dicyclopentadiene copolymer linseed oil and pyrogenic silica. Epoxide Oil Gel is a translucent yellow gel that adds transparency and thixotropic body to oil, resin-oil or alkyd paint. Add directly to your paint to give it transparency without thinning its consistency. Add pigments or extenders to thicken it for creating impasto effects that do not sink in.

Epoxide Oil Gel does not contain driers or solvents, so it is safe to use in oil painting without worry of cracking. When mixed with oil colors, Epoxide Oil Gel will decrease the drying time. *Epoxide Oil Gel is tacky, so we do not recommend adding more than 20 to 30% to your paint.

Gigalot
02-14-2015, 03:32 PM
Alex,
Do you think There is anything better about Exoxide Oil gel over Wanut gel or Oleoresgel?
I ask because Exoxide Gel is stated to be tacky, and so not to be mixed over 30%. It didnt really seem to suit as well. I want my paint to flow.

Hi, Brad! I am just curious, why you need more than 30% of it to add to a paint?
Anyway, it contains fumed silica and modified linseed oil. Both are perfect to improve paint film flexibility and durability.

Bradicus
02-14-2015, 04:17 PM
Hi, Brad! I am just curious, why you need more than 30% of it to add to a paint?...
Well, ahhhh, thats a good question!

I am out to make TZ more transparent for portraiture, but adding 30% clear gel would be alot.

I'll get one of the Epoxide Oil Gel too, and report back.
Brad

Crystal1
02-15-2015, 04:27 PM
Bradicus, I use Cobra WMO for the most part, so I am using Cobra Painting Paste with them. Most of my paints are Cobra, so I'm anxious to see how the Holbein Duo Ceramic White will mix with them. I should no more in this next week, while working on a portrait. Good Luck with yours.