PDA

View Full Version : The Goalpost February 2015

*Deirdre*
02-01-2015, 12:59 AM
Welcome the the Goal Post. Goal setting is a very good tool to help people get organized. If you write or post your thoughts, you are more committed and have a better chance of reaching those goals.

Your goals can be short term or long term. They can be daily, weekly, monthly or annual goals. Goals are personal, so everybody's goals will be different. They are your goals, so you can do what ever you want.

Come join the regular gang and get encouragement to help you reach your goals. We have a very friendly group and we are always looking for new people to join us.

Mij
02-01-2015, 04:59 AM
Hi Deidre, and thanks for getting us started.
I got nothing done artwise last month as SWMBO took whatever time I had to spare. I did take a flugel horn and a French horn to the shop in Bexhill and I hope they can be sold there. I also need to take my bows into the archery shop in Battle and trade them in for a new model compound bow that will be easier on my shouilder. The physiotherapist has said that my shoulder appears ok now.
This month I really should finish the pastel box and load my pastels into it. Perhaps I'll just make that the goal this month and cross fingers that I can do it.:crossfingers: I hope the weather warms up a little, we had the first flurry of snow yesterday - but it didn't stick.

I do have another taxi job of SWMBO down to Ringmer this month. If we get the timing right I can make it there and back in one day.:thumbsup:
I also have another JFD watercolour w/shop on Saturday 14th of the month.

Jim

Mij
02-01-2015, 07:19 AM
In my previous post that should have been RINGWOOD not Ringmer as the latter is only a few miles south of me :(.
Jim

robertsloan2
02-01-2015, 10:00 AM
Thanks, Deirdre! I should have posted it yesterday when I first saw the Spotlight, I plead "brainless on account of cold + chronic fatigue." End of the day isn't always a time I'm real functional. Purring and grateful you always step up if I miss it. This really helps so much.

Jim, wow sounds like you have a big goal for this month! You've been planning and working on that pastel box for so long, I hope you can do it! Fingers crossed for you. I can't wait to see your photos of progress and the finished box brimming with beautiful pastels. Plus any art you do along the way counts as extras. Yay for your watercolour warkshop!

My goals for February, The Short Month...

1. Manage not to tap my savings. I put $50 into savings to have a somewhat larger supply budget later on. I bought Johannes Vloothuis's ebook Landscape Painting Essentials, which is wonderful even if I can't put it on my Kindle. Then I need to buy some top loaders and soft sleeves for ATCs for the Animals ATC exchange plus pay for lots of overseas postage. I'm estimating $25 for sending out all of them. Going to send my home care worker to the post office when they're all done to have them do the weighing and stamping, just address all the envelopes and give him the money. They'll all weigh the same but that's a lot of different countries to calculate and put the right stamps on - better to do it all at once.

2. Get prepared for the Animals ATC Exchange as mentioned above. Start on the cards. Maybe do all the cards too but that'd be a plus - having everything in hand to send them including cash for the postage is an actual goal. One that'll make doing all the art a lot easier. Some may be in pastel pencils and wind up in Pastel Studio.

3. Finish my 3 in 5 Challenge on Facebook. This is actually sort of an artists' chain letter where you post three of your paintings every day and tag someone else. I took it the hard way to mean "do three sketches every day for five days instead of one" so if my paintings start looking Small and Simple for the next three days, that's why - I"m trying to do more than one in a day! Then again as usual, two inch long gesture sketches of my cat count. Yesterday's were all on the same page in my big cheap sketchbook.

4. Continue Daily Art. With a slight push toward extras by days that I sketch more than once. It seems a bit silly to have gotten to this point and have so many days that I did only one sketch, when I might have gotten in several cat gestures. Extras whenever I get in more than one.

5. At least one Spotlight painting of course! I love this month's references and somehow the Color Spotlights always seem to result in spectacular paintings!

Judibelle
02-01-2015, 04:30 PM
jim...Good Luck with getting the pastel box finished this month! I know it's been a long hard journey, but maybe Feb. is THE month to get it done!
Rob...I'm always in awe of you and what you get done in a month...Feb is no exception...rooting for you to complete it all.

I've done a couple of sketches, getting ready to do the Spotlight. I did finish the landscape from last month, but only at the last minute, and didn't try to post it.
I'm still having trouble cropping and sending. I miss my old Photosmart program. It's the only one that worked for me...

Anyway, this month I WILL finish a Spotlight and try to upload it.
I WILL do some sketching...from Life and otherwise...
I WILL, I WILL, I WILL!

Dougwas
02-01-2015, 07:07 PM
Robert- Thanks for hosting! Good luck with your goals. I looks like you are trying to keep busy and paint or draw every day possible, and you can't ask for anything more. Daily art helps you get going and is always a great goal. I hope your health improves, Robert, and you get back to your normal.

Jim- Oh yes, finish the box and fill it up! :thumbsup: Have fun at the wc workshop and I hope you find some time for yourself and your art.

I forgot that you asked me about the W & N colors for the Watercolor Tutor classes. They are Burnt Sienna, Raw Sienna, Winsor Blue, Winsor Yellow, French Ultramarine Blue and Permanent Rose. Well into the course in chapter 5 two more colors are added; Perylene Maroon and Perylene Green. The paper used is Arches 140lb CP. Some colors can be replace with M. Graham and Da Vinci watercolors. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this, Jim.

Judi- Will, will, will!!!:clap: You can do it!:thumbsup:

My goals for this month are the same as last month:

1) Work on the watercolor course for three hours a day, five days a week.

2) Paint or draw with a different medium once a week.

Maybe I will get dusty for the first time in a year!:eek:

Now I am off to watch the Super bowl! Go Seahawks!

Doug

robertsloan2
02-02-2015, 12:00 AM
Judibelle, PURR! There is a website I found on the Leslie Saeta challenge that you might find useful, it's PicMonkey (http://www.picmonkey.com/) and fairly easy to use. I found my way through it to create a collage of my 30 in 30 challenge but it had all kinds of other stuff you could do to or with a photo and then save it again. Hope that helps. Yay for your doing last month's Spotlight, can you post it in Studio anyway so I can see it? I can't wait. Late is always better than never and it sounds good. You will will will sketch and paint! Purring loudly at you and Ari sheds Cat Hairs of Inspiration in a great fluffy puffy cloud with these broad snowflake-like chunks of undercoat.

Great goals, Doug! You must be getting really good at watercolor now. I like the W&N palette from your course, Permanent Rose is the one red I would choose if I were limiting reds. My favorite triad came from the WN site - Permanent Rose, Lemon Yellow and French Ultramarine. But of course I get into having way too many watercolors, see the Scumble.

Purr on switching mediums once a week while you master watercolor, looking forward to your pastels again! They are fast and bold, surely they can come back into your life without killing your watercolor time?

Is it okay to keep using your Spotlight photos after the month they're up? Seems like those crab apples in ice would actually fit this month's Spotlight too really well. Or maybe they're cranberries or something. Whatever those little hard red iced over things are. I didn't get to that one and would have liked to.

Well, much thanks for all encouragement but today came the crash after two days of intense "three a day" efforts. I'll finish it up just posting what I do and choosing 3 related pieces to post. Today's was the three paintings I put into the Openhouse exhibition, they look good together and that meant something to me. People kept asking if they'd sold, they thought my home carer was the buyer! I think that's something intriguing about it - for all that other pieces got noticed by the curator, a lot of people who saw them were saying "those will sell." Bodes well for a future of "paint like the daily painters."

I am beginning to like a 6" square sanded paper format, though I might want to start cutting it with some space around it for matting and clipping. I hate working right to the edge and taking two of them out of a 9" x 12" piece means no border space. Maybe if I do one 6" square and one 5" x 7" piece out of a 9" x 12" piece it'll work. I cut ATC pieces out of the Uart 400 sheet too so maybe a couple of people in Animals trade will get pastel on sanded paper cards. Pastel pencils and hard pastels work fine for animals that size, even Rembrandts do.

robertsloan2
02-02-2015, 02:26 AM
Was there some kind of game today? No tv, don't follow sports, hope y'all had fun if you're into that.

Thought today was without daily sketching either but I managed a digital skyscape from memory and posted it in my Art Journal. More than that figured out how to get those off my Kindle into my computer to post them, which may make Sketchbook Mobile more fun!

Mettaphorica
02-02-2015, 03:46 AM
Wow, Rob, you are ambitious! I am not that prolific, so I take my hat off to you, esp. with a disability

Judi, maybe schedule the time to sketch into your calendar so you can't miss it?

Doug, enjoy the game, and enjoy the art goals even more!

Me: This month is going to be weird for me. I had stated in January that I wanted to do 2 paintings a month for the year (I seem to be a slow painter, maybe it's just inexperience). This month I'm cutting myself some slack if I don't get it done for two reasons: Feb only has 28 days, and, I'm getting married on that day, so I've got last minute wedding preps and running around and a lot of driving to do! I guess art can take a back seat for a month in order to gain a husband :).

But for Feb, I have already underway a pastel painting - I cheated and started late January, plus a new CP painting.

My other goal is I have found out about an art show coming up in April. I have never entered an art show, but the last one I went to in November last year (a local one), I felt that I was up to standard compared with the other artworks. This show is also a local show- albeit a different group running it - but I'm feeling like I could enter, so my other goal is to have 4 paintings ready by 29th March, which means prepping in Feb/March, so I have a two month goal, allowing for February's other activities I might have to cram in early March! Think I can do it, though.

that's it, thanks Rob!
cheers
Donna

robertsloan2
02-02-2015, 11:12 AM
Donna, that sounds so wonderful! Please, start a thread about the show once you have your paintings done and put them in. I'd love to see what you do for it. That's a wonderful feeling, to realize your work is up to par with a local show you're familiar with.

Four serious paintings in two months is doable and ambitious, congratulations! And getting married in one of those months! Wow. Doubly impressed and congratulations. I hope your husband loves your art and gets as supportive as some of the WC husbands do. For all the stress of the actual wedding, I hope you're joyously happy and madly in love. Maybe paint him for one of your pieces for the show.

Judi, make it easy! Good idea to schedule in your sketching time, also put the materials close at hand and do anything else to make it easier. Cool setup objects somewhere they won't be disturbed. Try the Scavenger Hunt thread in Artwork from Life, it seems to be the main activity in Artwork from Life and can be very motivational.

Mij
02-02-2015, 06:48 PM
Hello Robert, that is good on the savings. It will expand the art kitty fund. There was no obvious 'click on to buy' on JV's E book so I had to pass it up. I did send an email asking where the similar was for his online session but he responded with the page I got lostwith so again no use. I hope it was useful to you. Well done on the planning for the ATC, and yes they do get expensive to post these days.
Nice set of goals......

Hi Judi, and thanks for the encouragement WRT the pastel box. Perhaps I will - will - will - finish it this month :). I will be watching for your spotlight or perhaps just the sketches? I know what you mean about old proggies that fit like an old boot so comfortable. I remember telling my students to not start a piece of course work with a new bit of software!

Hi Doug, thanks for the WC, I had forgotten about them. It all sounds familiar bar the last two. JFD does a lot of soaking of the paper and if not, then a lot of spattering of paint or masking fluid.
Those goals sound fine Doug. Do you put them on any site yet or do you feel not ready for that yet?

Hello Donna. Wow that sounds adventurous. Getting married and aiming for two paintings. I know which goal I'd let slide if I had too :angel:. Congratulations to you and your partner. I hope all goes well for you both.
Ok on the art show in April. Yes pull out all the stops and get the paintings done for April, even if you have to do them in February :D. Isn't Robert quite the romantic! :lol:

Perhaps I should pull out all the stops here and get this box finished. It's hanging around like a millstone isn't it. Ok that is what I'll try to do - and take some pictures of the process. I'll need to fire up some enthusiasm to keep me warm as I have no heating in the garage :lol:.
jim

robertsloan2
02-03-2015, 01:22 AM
Yay, Jim! Do it! Even if it's cold in there. Can you bring in a space heater?

Three pages of fruit sketches today, I'm back to 3 in 5. I guess missing one day on it to health wasn't too bad and I still managed Daily Art thanks to the Kindle. Two of today's are pastel and the other's charcoal.

Tomorrow's happy task will be sorting pastels! I got a gift of some Terry Ludwig boxes and so my huge stack of small Terry Ludwig boxes will all collapse into one 90 color box and Sennelier half sticks into the other, pieces of Mount Visions into a 30 color one... at last, able to sort the mixture by textures! Then I can use the Dakota for all medium soft ones and not get unexpected impasto when I'm doing the first layer over the underpainting.

And go ahead and try for three more sketches since it's the last day of 3 in 5 and I really almost did it. Today's was good. The cold is breaking up though it's still a little stuffy, I'm no longer causing a paper snowdrift.

Ari is purring and happy. I'm tired and happy. Purr.

Judibelle
02-03-2015, 04:17 PM
Hi Donna...Congratulations on your upcoming marriage....and your Art Show!
A lot going on for you.....

Rob...glad you got your 3 pages done today....hope your cold evaporates quickly...

I actually did a few pencil sketches. (Rob, thanks for the tip on the scavenger Hunt....I looked at the choices and may do a few...)
And this morning I did the Cardinal! Haven't posted it yet....still have to look at it one more time before I decide to post it... (I also checked picmonkey, but decided to stick with Picasa...finally actually read directions, so maybe it will work for me...)

getdusty
02-03-2015, 07:53 PM
Congrats on the wedding and art show, Donna! That will take up all of your time.
Jim, can't wait to see the finished box.
Robert, good job on the art work in spite of uncooperative health issues.
Yay on the sketches, Judi.
Doug, I hope you're enjoying the watercolor. Yesterday's class was canceled due to the snow. Some year I'll get back to it.
You guys know what my goals are...they are the same every single month...paint!

robertsloan2
02-04-2015, 01:40 AM
Judi, please do post your Cardinal! I'd love to see it and nothing there has to be perfect, it's just cool to see everyone's take on the same references. It also could be better than you think. This happens a lot.

Yay, finished the 3 in 5 challenge today and chose one of my pastelist friends as the last artist tagged. Did three pieces in watercolour markers and then a digital sketch. The digi is posted in the Scumble in a long post about drawing digitally on tablets. I tried one more time to get the easy to use app to download to my computer and it worked! So now I can use that one, but it's very limited especially in colors and especially in certain textures.

Still, it's cool that I'm learning to use the digital medium as well. I think that's my last step of Really Not Up To Cleaning Up And Putting Things Away Afterward art medium. Just poke the Kindle and doodle something and save and g'bye, it's done.

robertsloan2
02-06-2015, 04:44 AM
No art on Thursday, really sick, the cold got nastier with sudden fever and chills. Pretty intense stuff. Ugh. Feeling horrible, not even online most of the day, lots of aches. Ugh. I want to get over this but it seems like every time it lightens up either I catch a different one or it gets worse.

Mij
02-06-2015, 02:22 PM
Robert said:-
No art on Thursday, really sick, the cold got nastier with sudden fever and chills. Pretty intense stuff. Ugh. Feeling horrible, not even online most of the day, lots of aches. Ugh. I want to get over this but it seems like every time it lightens up either I catch a different one or it gets worse.

Sorry to hear that Robert. A cold makes you feel bad anytime, it is worse when it curtails your leisure activities, I hope it clears up soon.

I think we would all like to see your sketches and your Cardinal Judi, so do give us the clickable link if not on this page.

Hi There Peg. Ok on the PAINT every month it's only fools like me that promise to brave the cold,cold garage :clear:.
I hope you can make up the classes missed because of the snow.

I have had to spend time doing the odd jobs around the house and finding them tedious. Once upon a time they were a challenge to fathom and understand not any more. I sourced and found a replacement programmer for our heating system some 10/12 years ago and made the mods necessary because it was a substitute. It has gone again. This time I'm looking for a heating engineer .
I just went to the bins outside this morning it was very very cold! :( Too cold to continue the box.

Jim

Judibelle
02-06-2015, 03:01 PM
Rob...Sorry you are not feeling well...hope it isn't long-lasting!
I got bone-chilled last night, and just could not get warm. Still feeling it today....rather achy, but nothing specific...

Jim...the cardinal is in the Spotlight....I actually did it! I'm working on the tomatoes now, but the sketches are just pencil doodles.
Sympathy on the tedious jobs! I know what you mean!

getdusty
02-06-2015, 08:15 PM
Rob, hope you feel better.
Jim, it is so cold here, below zero. My new furnace is not working correctly. Guys were here yesterday and ended up having to order a part. It's pretty cool inside my house...59 this morning, so I'm running an electric space heater and hoping the part comes in quickly. Missed pastels on Wed. and also a class today aas I waited for a call from the furnace repair guys (no call) I'd call a heating engineer, too.

Mij
02-06-2015, 08:57 PM
Jim...the cardinal is in the Spotlight....I actually did it! I'm working on the tomatoes now, but the sketches are just pencil doodles.
Sympathy on the tedious jobs! I know what you mean! You mean that Mrs Cardinal is in the spotlight :thumbsup: I see that you did the female variety :D Very good indeed.

Ok Peg, I'm sweltering as the heating doesn't follow it's program and is either on or off, and I'd rather swelter than shiver :lol:. Left an email for a heating engineer but no word from him at all. Have to try another avenue tomorrow.
jim

blr2449
02-06-2015, 09:19 PM

Rob, I hope this bug hurries along out of there. I haven't been sick so far this winter, then it's not over yet either. Please take care.

Last year I caught whooping cough. Don't want that again. I've been working though the book, Amazing Crayon Drawing by Lee Hamond. Right now, I'm doing shading of basic shapes.

robertsloan2
02-07-2015, 05:52 PM
Jim, I feel for you stuck with all those tedious chores. Sorry to hear it's to cold to get out and work on your pastel box. It was coming along so great last time you worked on it but weather gets to be such a frustration. Ouch about your heating engineer too.

Yikes Peg, the heating engineer thing sounds like a nightmare. Something to make me glad I'm a renter.

Still got the nasty cold. It's been a bit over a week now and for me they usually go for a couple of weeks at least. What's the most frustrating thing about it is that this is the third time this year. I feel like I've had more sick days than not with these colds. It's getting me down. The only creative thing I've done is pile up used tissues into weird abstract sculpture around or in trash bin. Or is that an Installation? Just title it Rob's Winter and spray it with shellac. Actually would be too cruel putting that into a modern art museum. I'd have to fake it or something unlike the lady who stayed in bed for a month and presented the unmade bed as an installation.

robertsloan2
02-08-2015, 10:09 PM
Today the stupid fever and nausea went down, though I'm still coughing and sniffling and feel lousy it's a lot better. So first I did a small painting in Terry Ludwigs and then I did something I've been wanting to do for days ever since the boxes arrived. I got all of my Terry Ludwigs sorted into one 90 color Terry Ludwigs box. It is beautiful. I can use them all at once now. I have a good range. A complete if slightly skewed range, could use a few more blues and greens, but I have enough of them that it is complete! And a few useful browns off to the side where most of the 14 Best Loved Basics went in. Those greens were muted and one of them wasn't even a green, it was a Neutral, so that side is muted colors. The pinks didn't fit in with Sunset but I can still more or less find all the colors at a glance.

Most of what's new here isn't the pastels, it's the box! At last!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2015/70184-Terry_Ludwigs_002.jpg

There's only two empty spaces in the box. Guess I need to start a new box if I order some more - or move the two extra V100 sticks out if I do. Either way this is utterly beautiful. I can use them now. Yay!

It was messy and cleanup was hard given how tired the cold's got me but was so worth it. I'll be painting with them lots more often! Next ones to get this treatment are my Sennelier half sticks, on another day.

robertsloan2
02-11-2015, 04:45 AM
No art yesterday but a really good bout of Spring Cleaning. I have gotten rid of the cardboard Blick boxes I stored paper and boards in, consolidated all of them into the nice ribbon tie portfolio that I bought on sale last Blick order.

I need to go back into that again and start cutting a lot of the big sheets in half or quartering them so they're more usable. Then keep only mat boards and a few very large sheets in there. It's bulging too much right now but smaller pieces of sanded and coated papers actually get used fast. Then replaced when I'm down to the last piece of that color. I should not have tried to store them without cutting them to size. Live and learn!

So that's today's Artish for Tuesday the 10th. Wednesday the 11th is my clinic visit and I hope to sketch while I'm out. Otherwise photo references and get the medical appointment done. Monday of course I put in the whole day painting Colourful Cherries and have the satisfaction of a spectacular little painting, my current Best Ever. I think it just beat out Colourful Lemons though that's a matter of personal taste too.

Next chore is cutting big sheets to usable sizes and storing them in plastic boxes that will keep them safe. I even have space for them if I do that, it's a trip. But that solves the problem permanently and from now on when I order full sheets of good paper, I need to cut to size, mark what it is lightly in pencil and store safely instead of keeping the big cardboard boxes around.

Judibelle
02-13-2015, 12:50 PM
Rob..those TLs are absolutely yummy....all cleaned up! Yay!

Where's Jim.....hope everything is ok. He usually isn't missing for this long...
Well, I actually did get 2 Spotlights done so far...the ('female') cardinal and the tomatoes. I still may try a third one, we'll see.
I might try a landscape to round out the month...

Today is my hubby and my 50th wedding anniversary. each year we get out the wedding album and re-live old memories. Hope he's feeling up to it today, it's been a rough time medically for him lately.

Mij
02-13-2015, 02:13 PM
Where's Jim.....hope everything is ok. He usually isn't missing for this long... I'm here. I think I have Robert's cold. The heating went off and the house and I chilled down last night and the first I realized it was when I started sneezing.

Today is my hubby and my 50th wedding anniversary. each year we get out the wedding album and re-live old memories. Hope he's feeling up to it today, it's been a rough time medically for him lately. Oh congrats both - that is such an achievement for both of you. Very well done :clap::thumbsup:. I hope you can enjoy the trip down memory lane.
(I am enjoying my usual remedy for a cold - lots of hot toddies until time for bed - that may be earlier than usual)
I just realized that I need to stretch some watercolour paper for tomorrow's workshop with JFD at Findon.
Jim

getdusty
02-13-2015, 08:43 PM
Hope you feel better, Jim.
Anniversary congrats to you, Judi, and "Mr. Judi"!

robertsloan2
02-13-2015, 09:21 PM
Judi, congratulations on your 50th anniversary! Sounds so cool! You're so lucky, both of you. Loved both of your Spotlights so hope you will get in another one.

Jim, sorry to hear you caught my cold. Yay for the hot toddies. Ow for stretching watercolor paper, there's why I usually do it in journals. I like it better with the sizing still on it.

No art yesterday, too wiped out from going out on Wednesday and cleaning up on Tuesday. But I have uncovered a huge stash of really good pastel papers. Today I cut one of them and have two 6" square pieces of white Colourfix Suede to play with. So I'll be doing colourist stuff again. Might do the tomatoes or the pink rose and turn it to red. Got the rose reference out and ready. Just haven't been up to it today.

Mij
02-15-2015, 05:22 PM
Thanks for thinking about me whilst I was quiet(ly supping away a cold).
I did manage a watercolour of a windmill. I'll put it here as I don't consider it worthy of the wc gallery :clear:
Jim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2015/69634-windmill2.jpg

PS I didn't finish it. The river was dark - almost black and the trees, windmill and boat all had reflections.

Judibelle
02-15-2015, 06:01 PM
Jim...WOW That's super! And watercolor! Wow...that windmill looks like it could jump right off the page. So well done! So glad you showed it here....

Rob..hope you are feeling better by now. I've been working on 'studies' of my own photos of fruits...did some tomatoes again, along with avacados and an apple....They don't look bad from a distance...but I haven't tried to scan them yet....

robertsloan2
02-15-2015, 07:30 PM
Jim, wow, that is beautiful! I couldn't do a watercolor scene that well, go ahead and post it. I know the watercolor gallery's a bit intimidating and moves a bit fast with how popular it is, but yours is right up there with the good ones. Might have saved yourself overworking it, it looks great as is!

Purr thanks Judi! Can't wait to see your still life.

Took in Johannes Lecture this morning but still feeling all drug out, not sure if I'll paint or draw today. Just really tired.

Mij
02-16-2015, 03:52 PM
Thanks Judi and Robert for the kind words about my windmill. I have been attempting to buy staples to fit the electric gun online but I seem to falter at the last moment - after it's taken ages to type in all my info. So I'll get some locally. I don't know why the gummed tape failed me - it has managed it in the past.

This month is halfway through and no goals here yet - and a taxi job in the offing next week.
jim

robertsloan2
02-16-2015, 04:11 PM
That sounds so frustrating, Jim. I hape you can get your staples. Good luck on it and hope you can get in some sketching during the taxi job.

getdusty
02-16-2015, 07:21 PM
very cool windmill, Jim.

robertsloan2
02-17-2015, 02:20 AM
At last, today I finally painted. In watercolor markers, but still something. It's up in Watermedia and in Landscapes and my art journals 2015 sketches thread, a landscape from imagination. just playing with tree shapes and shorelines and perspective.

Mij
02-17-2015, 03:28 PM
very cool windmill, Jim. Thanks Peg, have been getting plyboard to make up a couple or three drawing boards today. Two are 1/4 imperial and the third is 1/2 imperial.
Jim

Mij
02-17-2015, 03:35 PM
At last, today I finally painted. In watercolor markers, but still something. It's up in Watermedia and in Landscapes and my art journals 2015 sketches thread, a landscape from imagination. just playing with tree shapes and shorelines and perspective. I saw it in landscapes Robert. Like the others I thought it was the front cover of a drawing pad or similar :thumbsup:.
The staples I got locally fitted the arrow staple gun and managed to get a staple remover and had some drawing boards cut out of ply.
jim

Judibelle
02-17-2015, 03:55 PM
Yeah, me too, Rob....really nice loose piece...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2015/103700-1-Scan0009.jpg

Rob..here is the little study I did with the fruit. It was on smooth paper to which i had applied an acrylic base. Not sure I like the result, but it was an experiment...

Mij
02-18-2015, 04:38 AM
We learn something from each piece we do Judi, especially studies, so well done. I love tomatoes as well. I pop them like others do sweets.
jim

Judibelle
02-18-2015, 06:58 PM
thanks, Jim....yes, a learning experience. I actually did another with 2 tomatoes and an apple. If I keep practicing, they may turn out ok.
The Spotlight features a beautiful rose, which I've been trying to portray. Been practicing, but I just don't have the 'hang' of it... they just don't look like roses...

robertsloan2
02-20-2015, 02:51 AM
Purr thanks Jim! Wow. I liked it but once in a while something floors me - I always, always loved the art on covers of drawing pads. That's got me flying!

Judi, those are very cool! I like your study. I'm also glad you're working on doing the rose. Suggestion, try working it out monochrome first, do a good charcoal sketch for values. And maybe grid it to get the drawing. There is this knack to drawing roses and I didn't get it for the longest time, they are difficult and weird. It doesn't help that one of the rose references the petals are folded and very triangular, the other they're very rounded. Either way there's a structure that gets tricky. Once you get it, you'll have a lot less trouble.

Measuring carefully and simplifying only by combining petals or reducing the number of them helps. I tend to simplify the ones coiled right in the center because it won't lose its identity if I do that - but pay attention to any that are large enough to go a different direction and be obvious. That and if there's two almost the same size laying on each other, simplify by treating it as one. It'll still read like a rose.

Doing a few preliminary sketches helps a lot when something has difficult anatomy. It can be in anything, charcoal, pen, whatever. If you have trouble with a subject that's when to do all the preliminary stuff.

I washed right over it but on my WIP one, I did a complete drawing with every petal I was including in the painting. That the lines are mostly gone doesn't matter because that let me get the proportions right and see or decide which ones were mostly in shadow.

I didn't work on it today though. Back is still acting up from last week's throwing my back on Tuesday and then going out on Wednesday instead of resting my back. I pay for it when I overdo it. But I will finish this rose, hope to feel better tomorrow. Mostly slept today.

Judibelle
02-20-2015, 10:10 AM
Thanks, Rob, for the encouragement....I am still practicing...and am 'copying' your image in the Spotlight to get the 'feel' of it. hope you don't mind...
it's very helpful to see your progress.

robertsloan2
02-20-2015, 03:49 PM
Glad I could help! It's one of the reason I keep doing these WIP threads. Frustrating when I don't get the "good hour" I can paint in though.

Dougwas
02-21-2015, 09:25 PM
Hi gang. I thought I should let you all know I haven't forgotten about you, but we had a family medical emergency and I probably won't be back painting for the rest of the month. We will be away from home for at least another week so I will catch up with you all next month.

Take care and keep painting!

Doug

blr2449
02-22-2015, 12:06 AM
Take care, Doug. Looking forward to your return

Mij
02-22-2015, 05:44 AM
Hi gang. I thought I should let you all know I haven't forgotten about you, but we had a family medical emergency and I probably won't be back painting for the rest of the month. We will be away from home for at least another week so I will catch up with you all next month.
Hi Doug. Sorry to hear that and I hope you all cope ok.

Take care and keep painting!
Well other things get in the way but we keep on trying. It's good to hear from you.
jim

robertsloan2
02-22-2015, 01:53 PM
Good luck, Doug! You'll be missed. Hope everything goes all right.

Yesterday was terrible. I wasn't even online, my back and joints went out so bad the whole day was mostly Bed Rest. No painting, no writing, nothing. Today might be better, I hope.

Judibelle
02-22-2015, 06:07 PM
So sorry to hear, Doug! Hope everything will be ok soon.

And Rob..sorry you are still not feeling well...hope it passes soon.

I am still practicing apples and roses. Have about given up on the roses, but the apples are not too bad... will post soon..

blr2449
02-22-2015, 07:34 PM
Rob, you've certainly had one heck of a winter. I hope your aches and pains disappear quickly and you start feeling better. :)

getdusty
02-22-2015, 07:41 PM
Doug, hope all turns out well.
Robert, feel better.

robertsloan2
02-23-2015, 07:46 PM
Purr thank you both. Yeah, Barbara, this has been the worst winter for getting sick that I've had in a long, long time. It's just one thing after another. I'm okay for a few days and wham catch something else, though this time it was mostly overexertion I got a sore throat and stuff. I'm beginning to suspect allergies are part of it because the hotel no longer lends out a vacuum cleaner to my home care workers. So the place has not been vacuumed for about three months. This is bad.

They do sweep, but the dust seems to not leave the room as much if it's swept than dusted and the effect is cumulative. Grr. Can't afford to get a vacuum cleaner and no idea where I'd keep it if I did. But tomorrow my Tuesday home care guy is maybe going to bring his own, which if that worked out I'd at least get a vacuum once a week. Might make a big difference.

Yesterday I managed a swift cat sketch something like sumi-e in monochrome black watercolour marker. Like how it came out even if Ari's face looks a bit long due to angle of his head when I sketched him. Rear end was from memory because he walked away grumpy that I sketched instead of petting him.

Today I finished the Red Rose and I hate Pastelmat with very soft pastels. I can use it, but I don't like it as well as sanded paper. It wasn't much better than smooth paper for that. Couldn't layer as much as I wanted.

Norma46
02-24-2015, 10:45 AM
Missed seeing you in wc the past several days, Rob. Glad you are feeling better. I finally dusted off my pastel boxes. I have posted responses to the February "red" challenge. I did the male cardinal and the bowl of cherries. I will appreciate any C&C that I receive. Finally broke the ice and will be trying to get back into the swing of daily artwork.
N

robertsloan2
02-26-2015, 01:39 AM
Yay Norma! Congratulations on your red paintings. Going up to the Spotlight to see them.

Yesterday did a little Ari sketch in watercolor marker, today a tree with a little black cat crawling it. Two more for 30 cats in 30 days. I'm getting back to it. At least somewhat. Though I need some days with lots of little cats to really catch up.

Mij
02-28-2015, 06:10 AM
Well done to all that achieved some goals this month :thumbsup:. The spotlight is nine pages long so lots of good activity and lots of red.
Today is the last day of February and my twin boys birthday, they will be 41 today :D. All I did artwise this month was the windmill scene with JFD.
I have another with him a week today.
The trip to Ringwood had to be postponed. I'll have to note the date and put it in the diary.

I'll put my goals for March up tomorrow.
I think I have the flue that SWMBO seems to be sffering from.
Jim

*Deirdre*
02-28-2015, 08:57 AM
Hope you soon feel better Jim! I've also got a Birthday today...my son's!
I've been really busy this month preparing to move home, to be nearer to my daughters...so my goal is to get there!

Judibelle
02-28-2015, 11:01 AM
Congratulations to the parents And the sons....

Hope you are not getting the flu, Jim...it is so debilitating! Your windmill scene was a success!

Deidre...Good luck in your move...hope things go smoothly!
Norma...you did well!
Rob...Hope you can shed the illness and get to enjoy March...

I actually did pretty well this month...did 3 spotlights and a couple from my own photos. Feels really good....