PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Need to erase color!!

Kathryn Wilson
10-05-2003, 02:57 PM
I am sure that I can find the help I need here - so just anyone please jump in and give me some advice. I am working on a huge painting and have placed the wrong tonal color in a small block of the painting - est. 1 x 1. I need to get it back to the black background color of the Art Spectrum paper I am using.

Has anyone used an eraser, water, tissue - ??? I tried brushing it out but it's not back to black yet.

Thanks for any help you can give me -

Mo.
10-05-2003, 03:10 PM
Kyle... try picking up the excess with a putty rubber, don't use an eraser as the bits will cling the surface, what should work well too is a damp chamois leather, don't use tissue or cloth as again the fibres will stick to the surface.... or try both, the putty rubber first, then the chamois.

Good luck it should work!

Mo.:)

E-J
10-05-2003, 03:11 PM
Kat, what kind of brush did you use? I was using an old acrylic brush to remove pastel from my La Carte sanded pastel board but Jackie suggested something more stiff-bristled like a toothbrush might help, and it seemed to work. Sorry, I don't know enough about AS paper to offer you a more imaginative suggestion!

Dark_Shades
10-05-2003, 03:17 PM
... just for you Kyle.... lol, I have some black Art Spectrum and put some pinkish lilac on it... rubbed it off with a pencil rubber.... tried again and used a chamois leather..... both got it off fine..... may leave a slight lighter dust on it... but you could just put some black pastel back over it.... shouldnt be any bother

IndigoRed
10-05-2003, 03:27 PM
I agree with MO. cant beat a kneaded eraser ;) . But i am wondering, what type of painting you are doing? If you cant get the support color to come back i dont know if using a black pastel would be a good idea, IMO, black in any medium is a mess to control, and gets in everything, same as white, so if you lay down black, and have to put another color on top no matter what it is its gonna turn out muddy, try to get most of the wrong color off as possible then use the right color lightly at first, and work it into the paper then use layers. Does that make sense? LOL

I had the same problem a while back trying to use black paper, the big problem i had was when trying to get rid of the wrong color i ended up smooshen the tooth of the paper and my pastels ended up "slicking".

Isnt there a company that sells "sand" in a jar? the stuff you can make your own grounds with? use some of that to "grit" out the wrong color? hmmmm might have to try it myself.

:rolleyes: ;)

Kathryn Wilson
10-05-2003, 04:17 PM
I knew I could count on you guys - will give it a try - just didn't want to mess something up before I asked. It really is the correct color, but the wrong tonal value, so if I can get most of the color off it might work. It is a very small part of the painting, but smack dab in the middle of it!!

Cross your fingers for me, this ones looking' hot!

:D