Got it! :)

llawrence
01-19-2015, 10:04 PM
Looking forward to some color swatches!

Bradicus
01-20-2015, 12:42 AM
Got it! :)
Whats going on here?!

Where did you obtain those tubes of paint?

Crack one of those babies open and post a swatch already...

Brad

Gigalot
01-20-2015, 10:40 AM
Paint consistency is a creamy and long, but holds brush stroke form. No oil-pigment separation there.
The paints are not mine.
I will give these to WC expert for expertise to make comparison with other, highly reputed, great yellows! :D

Barbareola
01-20-2015, 02:14 PM
Pardon my confusion.... But why is that such a great deal?

yellow_oxide
01-20-2015, 02:41 PM

Strontium yellow, PY32, is very rare these days. I think that may be the only maker of it now. Back in ye olde 1830s it was one of three "lemon yellows" along with PY31 barium yellow and PY36 zinc yellow. Now I think two brands make PY31, one makes PY32, and none make PY36.

Gigalot
01-20-2015, 02:59 PM
Said to be rare, but I used it much. Good paint to have in yellow pigments collection, it can fill the empty space between Michael Harding Lemon Yellow and Lead-Tin Yellow :)
Actually, Cadmiums are more expensive paints.

Barbareola
01-21-2015, 02:10 PM
Ah, I see. Thanks for answering my question.

I find it interesting to note how - in most media that I follow like oils, acrylics and watercolors - many paints by different manufacturers are compared: whites, earth colours, blues... But for some reason, there are few discussions about yellow. I find it interesting, because among all the different hues, the yellows give me the most problems.

Gigalot
01-21-2015, 04:21 PM
http://www.koh-i-noor.cz/en/shop/artist-s-oil-colour-40ml-strontium-yellow-202?rc=32
Another Strontium Yellow manufacturer. Thei Strontium I had never try. But, probably, the pigment source is the same. The same pigment in use by two different paint manufacturers. Because I have their VanDyke, and it is very similar to Master Class natural VanDyke.

Brian Firth
01-22-2015, 01:53 AM
Fantastic Alex! Can't wait to get my hands on PY32 and compare it to the various historic chromate yellows (lead, barium, zinc) I have. I'll be sure to post my comparisons. :)

Also, didn't you say that you thought the Koh-i-Noor paints were made by Nevskaya Palitra? So, they may just be the same PY32?

As a side note, I have read that Russian paints were historically made with sunflower oil. I understand that most of the Master Class paints are now made with linseed oil, but are the lighter colors and white ground in sunflower oil? Or have they switched to safflower oil like most other manufacturers?

Gigalot
01-22-2015, 05:43 AM
Some of k-i-n colours are labeled "Developed in cooperation with "Nevskaya Palitra" St. Petersburg. These colours seems to be equal to Master Class.

I have their Cadmium Red Light PR108, Cobalt Blue Deep PB28, VanDyke Brown PBr7 (but it is actually Nbr) , Indian Yellow (PY42,PY83) Dark Brown (Tr.Oxide, PBr6). These paints have this label on tube. K-i-N "Master Class" line of colours.

I also have their Cobalt Blue light (PB28,PW6); Titanium White PW6; Zinc WHite (PW4,PW6); Dark Alizarin (PR177,PR48:2); Cadmium Yellow Deep HUE (PY74,PO43). These are not a "Master Class" line, the smell is really different, slightly "coniferous balsamic" odor, while "Master Class" paints have "linseed oil" odor or "odorless odor" :D .

Gigalot
01-22-2015, 07:02 AM
As a side note, I have read that Russian paints were historically made with sunflower oil. I understand that most of the Master Class paints are now made with linseed oil, but are the lighter colors and white ground in sunflower oil? Or have they switched to safflower oil like most other manufacturers?
Cadmium Reds and Ultramarine Rose have linseed oil binder. Their Zinc White I have and Strontium Yellow have enigmatic odor, quite different from Chinese safflower or "Prague" paints safflower oil smell. They have "rancid-caramel" odor, while "Master Class" white and Strontium have "Fresh margarine or cheap white chocolate" odor. Strontium has the most "enigmatic strontium" smell :confused: :eek:
But, I can say, St.Petersburg oil paints never have real "sunflower oil" smell. I did a lot of experiments to treat this oil. Treated sunflower oil has "rancid", while heated version has cooking "potato chips" odor. It can't form strong paint film, similar to Russian paint.
I found patent, dated 1949 year, how to make linseed oil replacement.
Actually, vegetable oil is "3-glyceride" substance They used treated sunflower oil to make "4-glyceride" sunflower oil modification. It has lighter color as well, but dries like linseed and forms stronger paint film.
Not sure, what they really use now in their lighter colours :D Probably mix of regular 3 and special 4 (!) oils :confused:

karenlee
01-22-2015, 03:46 PM
It appears Strontium Yellow is not available in the USA. Chartpak, Koh-I-Noor distributor in US, does not carry it.

Gigalot
01-22-2015, 04:57 PM
It appears Strontium Yellow is not available in the USA. Chartpak, Koh-I-Noor distributor in US, does not carry it.
I guess, they produce their colours in a small quantities because they are not sure about commercial success of their paints. A lot of any reputable brands paints are on shelves everywhere! :lol:
I know only one place here, where I can get these paints. It is small art shop, but it has Koh-i-Noor advertising emblem on the wall. I have about 15 tubes of their paints, and don't have their Strontium Yellow. But their Cobalts and Cadmium Red Light are,,,yeah, cheers! :D

jyaan
05-29-2015, 09:23 AM
Is there somewhere I can order this? I live in north-eastern USA.

Gigalot
05-29-2015, 10:52 AM
I can check this paint in our local shop. If available, I can sent it to US through our Georgian post service as a small package. First time this package arrived to NY after 4 days, but after that, Brian got it after 25 days! :D
Last time, I gave $13 to send 220 grams (exact weight of 2 Strontium Yellow tubes) to North America. With a couple of tubes it will be totally ~ $30 or even less, because US $ groves and became more expensive.

Bastet469
05-29-2015, 07:15 PM
Is that Russian words on the tube? I see you are Georgian. Do you have your own language in addition to Russian?

Gigalot
05-30-2015, 03:43 AM
Is that Russian words on the tube? I see you are Georgian. Do you have your own language in addition to Russian?
The native language here is Georgian. From the Caucasian group of languages. Here is one of the oldest region of human history. Prehistoric Homo Georgicus lived here 1,7 millions years ago. :D
But, unfortunately, we don't have our own paint manufacturers here. All artists' paints are imported from other countries. Strontium Yellow comes from Nevskaya Palitra, St. Petersburg. Yes, there is Russian words on the tube.

jyaan
05-30-2015, 11:37 AM
Does Strontium Yellow dry well? Or is it a slow drier? My tube of Lemon Yellow (Michael Harding, PY31) dries somewhat slowly, and I would guess that most other chrome-based yellows are slow drying, too.

I found this online shop: http://www.colorhobby.com/estore_categ.php?Oper=WareDetails&SKU=PMK207.
However, Strontium Yellow is out of stock right now and I don't know when (or if) they'll get more.

I can check this paint in our local shop. If available, I can sent it to US through our Georgian post service as a small package. First time this package arrived to NY after 4 days, but after that, Brian got it after 25 days! :D
Last time, I gave $13 to send 220 grams (exact weight of 2 Strontium Yellow tubes) to North America. With a couple of tubes it will be totally ~ $30 or even less, because US $ groves and became more expensive.
I would have been interested in Volchonskoite and Ultramarine Rose, too. But, the shop I mentioned above claims Master-Class Oils contain dammar and mastic resins. I wish paint makers would not add these kinds of things! If I wanted to, I can always add them, but not remove. Unfortunately it seems this brand is not a good match for me. :(

Gigalot
05-30-2015, 01:33 PM
Does Strontium Yellow dry well? Or is it a slow drier? My tube of Lemon Yellow (Michael Harding, PY31) dries somewhat slowly, and I would guess that most other chrome-based yellows are slow drying, too.

I found this online shop: http://www.colorhobby.com/estore_categ.php?Oper=WareDetails&SKU=PMK207.
However, Strontium Yellow is out of stock right now and I don't know when (or if) they'll get more.

I would have been interested in Volchonskoite and Ultramarine Rose, too. But, the shop I mentioned above claims Master-Class Oils contain dammar and mastic resins. I wish paint makers would not add these kinds of things! If I wanted to, I can always add them, but not remove. Unfortunately it seems this brand is not a good match for me. :(

Strontium Yellow dries relatively slowly. It can stay wet on palette during several days, then starts to dry quickly and, finally, forms a perfect dried film. You can ask Brian, he did many comparison tests with chromate colors.
Volkonskoite is not available here about a year or so. Ultramarine Rose is no problem to get.
Master Class paint can contains resin additive and wax additive at stabilize concentration and not in all paints. The concentration of resin can vary from 0% to 0,6%. Wax can be added about 0,3% - 1% to stabilize pigment paste and paint flow. But the newest paint formulation can be different from old receipts. Master Class don't have any turpentine smell, if any resin is added there, it must be oil soluble. Personaly, I guess, resin is no longer added into their paints, probably, something like modern stearate took it's place as a pigment paste stabilizer.

I bought their Sonnet Zinc White paint tube and it is fastest drying white I had ever seen, it dries on palette over night.

jyaan
05-30-2015, 06:10 PM
OK, it is not so bad as I thought. Perhaps I have a tendency to become negative. :lol: I don't mind small amounts of wax or modern resin, although I feel the old natural resins have outstayed their welcome.

Gigalot
05-31-2015, 03:57 AM
Synthetic resin is PH neutral. It can do nothing, when used in a small quantities.
Natural resin is acidic, it react with pigment particle surface and change rheology of paint. But it must be diluted into turpentine or spike before using, Therefore, paint which has natural resin into it must have an essence oil odor.
Mussini paint has it, Master Class - not. I am almost sure, that they changed paint formulation since 1970 years, and probably, two or three times. I have a tube of Strontium Yellow manufactured in 1996 y. It is a bit more stiff, and dries quickly. Odor is also different from modern version. New color is more creamy. :)

Bastet469
05-31-2015, 04:48 AM
Here is one of the oldest region of human history. Prehistoric Homo Georgicus lived here 1,7 millions years ago. :D

Wow that's cool!

Gigalot
05-31-2015, 05:20 AM
Wow that's cool!

Our archaeologists tried to dug ground near ruins of medieval fortress looking for medieval artifacts and skulls of our brave medieval guys. :)
But they found a very strange skull instead. They were shocked, when it was dated as 1,7 millions years old! :D
The National Geographic published a photography and a reconstruction of Homo Georgicus face.

Brian Firth
06-03-2015, 04:55 PM
Is there somewhere I can order this? I live in north-eastern USA.

Rus Art in Canada carries Master Class oils and you can order from them. The do not have the full line, so you would have to have them order the Strontium yellow for you, but I contacted them and they said that they could do it easily.

http://artmaterials.ca

In my opinion the Strontium Yellow does not contain any resins. Like Alex mentioned, not solvent odor can be detected. It is pretty slow drying as it is bound in the traditional high quality Russian sunflower oil.

Gigalot
06-04-2015, 06:48 AM
In my opinion the Strontium Yellow does not contain any resins. Like Alex mentioned, not solvent odor can be detected. It is pretty slow drying as it is bound in the traditional high quality Russian sunflower oil.
I also asked a girl, she said it has sunflower odor :D

Did you try to test PR187 , Brian? Their "Alizarin Red" is, and Williamsburg Carls Crimson is also PR187. How can it looks?

Brian Firth
06-04-2015, 01:30 PM
I also asked a girl, she said it has sunflower odor :D

Did you try to test PR187 , Brian? Their "Alizarin Red" is, and Williamsburg Carls Crimson is also PR187. How can it looks?

When in doubt ask your better half! ;)

No, I haven't tested any PR187, and I don't have any paints with that pigment. From what I can find it appears to be a Naphthol AS pigment, similar to PR188, and should have excellent lightfastness.

sidbledsoe
06-04-2015, 02:04 PM
I don't have any paints with that pigment.
:clap: I have waited so long time to see this comment!

Brian Firth
06-04-2015, 03:39 PM
:clap: I have waited so long time to see this comment!

Don't tempt me Sid! :lol:

jyaan
06-05-2015, 06:38 PM
Rus Art in Canada carries Master Class oils and you can order from them. The do not have the full line, so you would have to have them order the Strontium yellow for you, but I contacted them and they said that they could do it easily.

http://artmaterials.ca

Too bad it dries slowly. Fortunately, it tends not to be a problem with PY31 because I rarely ever use it alone. It's great for brightening warm colors like Yellow Ochre or creating vivid greens with Prussian Blue.

I've also been experimenting with Lead-Tin Yellow Lemon (Harding) and Nickel Yellow (Blockx and Williamsburg). They dry much faster and the darker masstones can be helpful. They're less green, though.

The price at RusArt doesn't seem too good. I think Strontium Yellow is series 2, so that will be $14.25 CAD ($11.45 USD). Probably going to get two tubes, so that's already $22.90 USD before shipping. :( Probably best to ask Gigalot to help, unless the shipping from RusArt is cheap.

Gigalot
06-06-2015, 04:40 AM
The price at RusArt doesn't seem too good. I think Strontium Yellow is series 2, so that will be $14.25 CAD ($11.45 USD). Probably going to get two tubes, so that's already $22.90 USD before shipping. :( Probably best to ask Gigalot to help, unless the shipping from RusArt is cheap.
I can send you a couple of Strontium Yellow at $25 USD if you like. Or, I forgot, you wanted to have one tube of Ultramarine Rose with one Strontium Yellow?

jyaan
06-07-2015, 02:26 PM
Two strontium yellow. I recently got a tube of Ultramarine Pink from Williamsburg. :)

Gigalot
10-23-2015, 12:55 PM
New tubes of Strontium Yellow arrived in our Art Shop. I bought one. Design of tube is a little changed, but paint smell is the same :)

opainter
10-23-2015, 09:40 PM
Just make sure that it doesn't emit light (and radioactive particles) when you turn out the light! :lol:

Gigalot
10-24-2015, 03:23 AM
Just make sure that it doesn't emit light (and radioactive particles) when you turn out the light! :lol:

I will check it! Vasari said their paints also can emit light:
"Artists' Oil Colors
Expect paint that glows from across the room, fiery, gemlike color emitting its own light, to set your work apart from all the others, each and every time.

All milled with the finest alkali refined Linseed Oil in limited quantities for a naturally drying durable paint film. 800-932-9375"

Just strange, why they don't list my Strontium in their color chart! :confused: :)
Stephen Salek must blend some pure strontium for us!