PDA

View Full Version : Ordering pastels online

MonicaB
10-05-2003, 10:01 AM
Has anyone ever seen any problems with breakage when you order pastels (individually or in sets) online? Just curious. Thanks.

meowmeow
10-05-2003, 10:14 AM
I've ordered lots of pastels online and never had any problems. Of course, that is no guarantee that it nevers happens, but they pack them well.

Sandy

IndigoRed
10-05-2003, 02:28 PM
As long as you buy from well known online shops like Dickblick, Jerrysartarama, Aswexpress, Misterart, etc, you wont have a problem. I only buy my pastels and other supplies online. I buy from ebay every once in a while, but you are taking a chance there, Ive bought 2 sets of rembrandts from a seller, and the seller mailed them in an envelope of all things! it was a horrible mess, still usable but he should have taken more care.

So you take chances with ebay, but all the other shops i mentioned i have bought from with A++ shipping :D

Not to mention that a couple of them give you free shipping when you make a large order ;), and that can come in handy.

jackiesimmonds
10-05-2003, 02:35 PM
I have been on these boards for a long time now, and remember quite a few posts where people complained that even tho they were well packed, their SENNELIER pastels arrived in bits.

I would steer clear of these. Unison are very "solid" pastels and not likely to break; so are Rembrandts.

If they arrive badly packed, and broken as a result, you should fight to have them replaced.

J

MonicaB
10-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Great advice. Thanks! :D

cjkelly
10-06-2003, 12:33 AM
I buy all my pastels on-line (singly and sets) and have never had a problem.

quite a few posts where people complained that even tho they were well packed, their SENNELIER pastels arrived in bits.

I ordered a set of Sennelier half sticks once, which arrived quite safely - maybe their smaller size helped, but I only used that supplier once because it took him 2 months to send them :mad:

I have now found a great supplier, who is prompt, cheap, and packs really well :)

Good luck

IndigoRed
10-06-2003, 04:19 AM
Can ya share who that supplier is for us artists looking for "prompt, cheap and packs well"? lol ;)

soap
10-06-2003, 04:41 AM
I've only every had Schmincke's break, but they are so gorgeous, I don't mind, as long as they don't arrive in a thousand little pieces. Rembrandts are always fine.

Craig Houghton
10-06-2003, 06:39 AM
Here's an example of how well rembrandts hold up to rough shipping.

A while back I ordered a rembrandt 30 portrait and a 30 general from ebay. I only paid 20 each with free shipping, so I was pleased. However, the seller sent them from Canada IN A PLASTIC GARBAGE BAG :D

But, they didn't break. I couldn't believe it though. He just bound them up in a glad bag and sent them on their way. They held up perfectly.

Here's a pic I had taken:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2003/21273-delme.JPG

:)

Craig

IndigoRed
10-06-2003, 11:26 AM
OH THE HORROR!!! :eek:

Glad they arrived in tact tho. :clap:

MonicaB
10-06-2003, 09:30 PM
Wow! Thanks to everyone for sharing. :D

CarlyHardy
10-06-2003, 11:21 PM
I've ordered from Jackson's Art in England without any problems. They package well....prices are good too, especially on the Unisons.
carly

Artistammy
10-07-2003, 05:21 PM
I've ordered 3 different sets of Sennelier & they arrived just fine (as well as some Grumbacher & Rembrandt). I can't remember who I ordered from. They may have been different internet sites but they were all packed well. I've found much better prices online even with shipping. Also, no one here sells some brands.