PDA

View Full Version : Suitability of clipframes for large work

Zarathustra
10-05-2003, 05:27 AM
I bought some A1 sized (59.4cm by 84cm) sheets of canson paper and mount board yesterday, and due to limited storage space, I have no real means to protect and keep them safe.
Clipframes are an economical possiblity I was considering, but has anybody had experience in using them for larger pieces of artwork? I'm wondering if the perspex might sag in the middle and touch the pastel work, or if the slight thickness of the mount board would prevent the clips from fastening?
Any suggestions or ideas appreciated!! Thank you in advance.

jackiesimmonds
10-05-2003, 05:55 AM
I recently bought some huge clipframes with GLASS, for some posters I wanted to frame. That would stop the problem of perspex either sagging, or attracting pastel dust and particles, WHICH IT DOES, SOMETHING ROTTEN..

I think you could have put a mountboard mount inside the clips, they are springy - just depends on the thickness of the small part of the clip. You may need to buy a very small cheap one, to try this out.

J

Zarathustra
10-05-2003, 06:24 AM
Hi Jackie,
Thanks for the reply, hope all's well in your part of England?

I didn't know you could buy these clipframes with glass... Do you happen to know of an online supplier?

jackiesimmonds
10-05-2003, 02:42 PM
No, I don't, I am afraid. I bought mine from a local Arts and Crafts store called Hobbycraft. I think B&Q or Homebase had some too! Not sure I would buy such a thing on-line - the one I bought was HUGE. But you could do a search.....

If all you want to do is STORE and protect your work safely, why not buy two large pieces of hardboard the same size, and a pile of bulldog clips to clip around it all. Or just two extra pieces of mount board! Or two large sheets of Fome Core.

Then, when you are ready to frame your pieces, you can consider proper frames. Call Richard Blakeley on 01924 479179 for his catalogue - he does very inexpensive frames, with glass, and all the bits and bobs for hanging, and will ship to you from Yorkshire.
J
and thanks, all's well-ish here. Hope u r the same. Or better.

E-J
10-05-2003, 03:42 PM
Z, I think you'd definitely need to mount the work to keep the pastel away from the surface of the perspex / glass but I would be wary of sticking anything into a Clipframe that could be too thick or too heavy for the clips and cause them to spring off. This can easily happen, especially with a very large frame, causing the glass to slide out, making them quite dangerous. If it's only for storage and you don't intend to hang them, then it might be ok.

Zarathustra
10-05-2003, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the replies Jackie and E-J.

Would you believe the Homebase website is currently "under construction"! Perhaps I'll give Blakeley a call, and try using mountboard for protection purposes in the mean time.

E-J, do you think mount board would be too thick? It's probably 3 or 4mm in thickness, but I know clipframes aren't usually the best of quality... The thought of the glass falling out is not a good one!!

E-J
10-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Z, the clips would probably fasten ok but I wouldn't trust them to stay secure if you are tempted to use them to hang your pics, nor if you're likely to undo and refasten them repeatedly in order to replace the picture with another.

I'm finding storage is a real problem even with A2 size, which is the largest pastel paper I own. Can't wait to find out what you've got planned for your A1!! :)

Zarathustra
10-05-2003, 07:00 PM
If it was in there, it would remain in there... To be honest, I'm not sure what I have planned yet, but it will probably be portraiture. My pastel colours are mainly chosen around skin tones.