PDA

View Full Version : How to present your work to a gallery/to the public?

Bethany_Fields
01-15-2015, 10:29 AM
I was invited by two galleries to come and talk to them about hanging my work. I am a super newbie at the "business" side of the art world and don't know what I need to do to prepare. I've read that it's nice to have a portfolio. Do you print your work? Have it printed and have it in a binder? Does an iPad suffice or is that frowned upon? I don't even have business cards! ha.

And on a related note. I have a well-known photography business in my area. I shoot mostly families, newborn babies, graduating seniors, and children and have my website handle at my name: bethanyfields.com. I also have a blog that is mostly random - It's hard finding a time to post! My question is do I purchase a new domain for my art? i.e. bethanyfieldsart.com - I think this looks like "Bethany Field Sart" :roll eyes: Do I make a landing page at my current site and have a selection of either "Photography" and "Art" to where the visitors can click on them to take them to the correct pages? I don't know what I want to do and feel like I need to make something happen in the next few months. I'm familiar with web-design, urls, and registering domains so this isn't daunting to me.

I would love some sage wisdom! Thank you everyone and sorry for all the questions. :D

Davkin
01-15-2015, 10:43 AM
I recommend you ask this question in the general business forum as well, I'm sure you'll get quite a few answers there.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=32

Bethany_Fields
01-15-2015, 10:54 AM
Oh thanks David! I'll head over there. I didn't even know there was a forum like that here on WC! :)

robertsloan2
01-15-2015, 11:17 AM
Actually the landing page thing sounded good.

Also the way I approached galleries happened by accident but may still actually work, though dated. I went to gallery openings when I lived in New Orleans because they were cool parties with free wine and cheese. It was awesome. I'd meet other artists and talk about art, lots of fun, make new friends, some of them were the hosts... and as they saw me a few times at different ones and liked me they were the ones that asked to see my art so I came back with actual small pieces I thought were my best. Then they suggested things like "We do a lot of architectrals, can you do three small architecturals?" In retrospect I should not have tried for the Oil Paint Price Advantage but priced up my pastel architecturals, they were tons better. They didn't sell but did get into a gallery.