PDA

View Full Version : Glassine bags or rolls?

Bethany_Fields
01-13-2015, 12:05 PM
I am looking at purchasing some new glassine and was wondering if you all find the rolls or the bags more cost effective? My works up to now are fairly small and I think bags might suit me better. What do you use to protect your work?

water girl
01-13-2015, 12:52 PM
I keep my unframed works taped to coroplast (stiff, lightweight plastic used for political signs). I use the coroplast as a drawing support for each painting. I have a roll of glassine. I cut a sheet to fit the board and tape it at the top. That way, I can stack unframed pieces safely.

westcoast_Mike
01-13-2015, 03:33 PM
I use these

http://www.clearbags.com/bags/clear-bags/pc

Barbara WC
01-13-2015, 04:00 PM
I use Canson glassine, buy it by the roll, and just cut to size as needed. I go through a lot of glassine, so a roll is the most economical for me.

Where have you found glassine bags? One thing I would make sure is that they are acid free- the Canson glassine roll is acid free, but I know glassine is made for other purposes besides art, and envelopes may or may not be acid free.

robertsloan2
01-13-2015, 04:57 PM
The roll would rock. I've been making do with a pad of tracing paper but a roll of glassine would be great. I may have to get one this year, it's on my list. I used to get big sheets of it 30" x 40" from Blick.

The tracing paper pad had the advantage of not needing cutting though.

Sometimes if I mean to display or sell it, I will cut foam core backing and a mat, then shrink wrap the art. It stores really well in that state and is like those display packages where you get mat, back board and clear bag all the same size. I've considered getting some of those to save the labor if I start selling again and need to do a lot of shipping, if the matting starts to cut too much into my painting time it might be worth the expense.

Devonlass
01-13-2015, 07:23 PM
I have a roll and find that to be very convenient....just cut off as much as I need. Not sure how much is in a roll, but it's a lot!! I've never seen glassine bags anywhere, I didn't know you could get them.

Bethany_Fields
01-13-2015, 11:35 PM
Maybe I'll do the roll... I'd rather spend less though and get more pastels! :) I found the glassine bags on Amazon but you're right, I didn't think about them not being acid free. I like the tracing paper idea! My paintings are mostly little and that might work great! Thanks everyone! :)

Stacy Nuin
01-16-2015, 06:09 PM
Just bought a roll of glassine. I used to buy them in sheets but went with the rolls when I started doing more paintings. I can cut them to all sorts of sizes so that having that flexibility is a plus over glassine bags.

Although, if I have a certain size I work a lot with, ready to go glassine bags would be convenient for that.

I'd buy both if I didn't have to budget, else I rather buy the rolls for all my needs.