PDA

View Full Version : Sable Brushes Banned in US!

kylesurges
01-12-2015, 12:04 PM
Apparently the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service now has a ban on importing kolinsky sable, I think this includes red sable too. If you go to the Blick website it says -

"Due to regulatory issues regarding the importation of Kolinsky hair, we are temporarily out of stock on many of our more popular brush styles. Be assured that we are working with our vendors and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to remedy this situation as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience."

Has this been going on for a while and I just haven't noticed?

I'm bummed, all I use are sable brushes. I really hope they get this sorted out soon. I'm in the market for new brushes.

Bradicus
01-12-2015, 12:26 PM
Since last june I think.
They can sell existing stock.

Brad

J Miller
01-12-2015, 12:40 PM
It's been a while and I don't know exactly when it started. It's only on Kolinsky and it's not a ban. From my understanding, Fish & Wildlife changed the import requirements on kolinsky hair and the importers now need new paperwork to prove origin or something. Slowly but surely, they are complying with Fish & Wildlife's requirements. For example, the W&N series 7 was pretty much out a couple months ago but now only size 1 is out with a 1/14 back order date:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/winsor-and-newton-series-7-kolinsky-sable-pointed-round/

kylesurges
01-12-2015, 12:53 PM
It's been a while and I don't know exactly when it started. It's only on Kolinsky and it's not a ban. From my understanding, Fish & Wildlife changed the import requirements on kolinsky hair and the importers now need new paperwork to prove origin or something. Slowly but surely, they are complying with Fish & Wildlife's requirements. For example, the W&N series 7 was pretty much out a couple months ago but now only size 1 is out with a 1/14 back order date:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/winsor-and-newton-series-7-kolinsky-sable-pointed-round/

Thanks for info. Its been awhile since I purchased any brushes so I'm a bit out of the loop. I'm glad to see the series 7 is back in stock. I guess I'll have to wait for the Blick Masterstroke stock to be replenished.

karenlee
01-12-2015, 03:19 PM
Yes it's been going on for a while--I had to wait a couple months for my last order of WN Series 7's to be filled.