PDA

View Full Version : Hans Holbein the Younger - Erasmus

IronPawn
01-10-2015, 02:21 PM
Another project running... I have no idea on how Holbein the Younger painted... Just like this image. It was quite fast when it comes both to drying and actual work. Coming close to final stages and will not complicate it, just enjoying some painting!:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jan-2015/1893483-Hans_Holbein_the_Younger_Erasmus_1st_color.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jan-2015/1893483-Hans_Holbein_the_Younger_Erasmus_2nd_color.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jan-2015/1893483-Hans_Holbein_the_Younger_Erasmus_3rd_color.jpg

Dana Design
01-13-2015, 01:45 PM
A most difficult work! But it's looking very good. Well done.

IronPawn
01-14-2015, 05:14 AM
A most difficult work! But it's looking very good. Well done.

Thank you Dana!

ianos dan
01-15-2015, 06:37 PM
Wonderful painting!
Still have doubts about his imprimatura color ,l didn't find some studies about his technique ,but your painting looks great ,simply great !
l suppose that Hans Holbein was painting ,somehow ,in the style of Durer ,Holbein being superior to Durer ,in his portraiture ,because Durer's version was not so good received ,as Holbein's .
l still believe he was using the white panel ,a fixed drawing ,and than local colors,thinner and lighter in the first stages.
Your technique is more like Gentileshi ,or Carracci ,with the red earth imprimatura,but still a great result.
The second photo ,is my favorite ,it has more volume than the last one,because in the last photo ,it seems that you have lost some volumes ,that were perfectly rendered in the intermediate stage ,like the visible bones of the faces ,and some wrinkles .
Very good copy !

IronPawn
01-15-2015, 06:49 PM
Wonderful painting!
Still have doubts about his imprimatura color ,l didn't find some studies about his technique ,but your painting looks great ,simply great !
l suppose that Hans Holbein was painting ,somehow ,in the style of Durer ,Holbein being superior to Durer ,in his portraiture ,because Durer's version was not so good received ,as Holbein's .
l still believe he was using the white panel ,a fixed drawing ,and than local colors,thinner and lighter in the first stages.
Your technique is more like Gentileshi ,or Carracci ,with the red earth imprimatura,but still a great result.
The second photo ,is my favorite ,it has more volume than the last one,because in the last photo ,it seems that you have lost some volumes ,that were perfectly rendered in the intermediate stage ,like the visible bones of the faces ,and some wrinkles .
Very good copy !

Thank you! Very kind of you. Yes, I presume that in the beginning they used tempera (oil in my case) and it would have 'lighter' feel from the start. I agree with you on 3rd picture but it was intentional from my part to go heavier. I will build up same or similar structure as in 2nd, but this time in color, with subsequent layers. It will take at least few more sittings to finish it :) Thanks again and stop by!

IronPawn
01-17-2015, 10:14 AM
More color and more painting. At this point, it is going quite fast, not more then 45 minutes for this sitting. Maybe 1 or 2 more sittings and that would be it, but before any decision is made, let me see how it looks like in a day or two.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2015/1893483-Hans_Holbein_the_Younger_Erasmus_4th_color.jpg

AllisonR
01-27-2015, 11:09 AM
Wow, great progress. I think it was wise to use that red imprimatura, adds warmth throughout. I think the last photo is maybe too yellow-greenish?

IronPawn
01-28-2015, 06:38 PM
Wow, great progress. I think it was wise to use that red imprimatura, adds warmth throughout. I think the last photo is maybe too yellow-greenish?

Hi Allison, thank you! In fact, it is more yellow in photo then in real life... I don't edit the photo although I should - to bring it closer to real color. Camera is making me crazy, that's why I like to paint :) Still, probably another 1 or 2 layers with some fresh eyes... Thanks again!

Papercut
01-29-2015, 12:48 AM
Holbein is tough. His work is so spot on and really magical in person. Reach out and touch someone magical.

IronPawn
01-31-2015, 05:33 AM
Holbein is tough. His work is so spot on and really magical in person. Reach out and touch someone magical.

I totally agree Papercut!

IronPawn
02-01-2015, 10:44 AM
Pretty much done with this one... Of course, I can nitpick forever but basic premises were there. At this point, I can only regret not using tempera but that's whole another issue. Used only 4 colors for this project: white, yellow, red and black.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Feb-2015/1893483-Hans_Holbein_the_Younger_Erasmus_5th_color.jpg

oCDs01-711
02-03-2015, 08:05 PM
I really, really, like it. So warm and rich. Love the idea of using only 4 colors. And now I'm wondering "which" yellow, "which red...............great job!

Shirley:wave:

IronPawn
02-04-2015, 09:14 AM
I really, really, like it. So warm and rich. Love the idea of using only 4 colors. And now I'm wondering "which" yellow, "which red...............great job!

Shirley:wave:

Hello Shirley, thanks a bunch, really appreciate it! As for pigments: titanium white, yellow ochre, vermillion red and ivory black. You can get really nice spectrum from them. Thanks again!