PDA

View Full Version : question on airbrushing

JennyD
01-07-2015, 11:48 AM
Due to my husband's health issues, I have been unable to be as pro active in my work as I would like, but I so scratch whenever I can. However I have a question about airbrushing.

I know this has been raised before, but I wonder if there are any articles or tutorials available, by any of the scratchers here that use an airbrush, that would give help to a complete novice on this matter and one who only has an inexpensive airbrush.

It may just be a question of 'googling' or practicing and familiarising myself with the equipment, but any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance and a belated, happy new year to all the amazing artists here.

Crias
01-07-2015, 01:17 PM
You can find a lot of videos on YouTube, including I think one of Rodman doing one on clayboard.

JennyD
01-07-2015, 01:20 PM
Many thanks Cathy. I will have a look, especially at Rodman's one.

Rodman
01-16-2015, 10:48 PM
Jenny. I probably wouldn't be the one to lean on, as the safety factors but my thinking is, there's not that much ambient ink. Not the way, I do it away. I've never used any kind of air handler even on projects throwing around a lot more color than MOST people would ever come close to using on a scratchboard/Clayboard project. But please do check with an authority on the matter. Too many paint fumes might explain some of my work.

As for the cheapo airbrush. Again. MOST airbrush, as applied to scratchboard is very basic. I'm convinced about any Dual Action Airbrush will do what MOST scratchers need. And that holds almost as true for Clayboard. If a scratchboRd is 90% black and you airbrush at it for more than 10 min....... You might have started over.

JennyD
01-17-2015, 04:08 PM
Thanks Rodman. I must have a serious go at using the airbrush. I would love to learn to use an one properly. I know the most incredible man called Dru Blair, from USA. He has got to be one of the world's greatest airbrush artists. He does military planes, but also people, well anything really. Photo hyper-realism has nothing on him. When I hear people saying well if its that photo realistic, you might as well have the photo, I want to scream, because when you know and understand how it has been done, then it becomes phenomenal.

ggart4u
01-17-2015, 07:01 PM
One thing I've noticed about airbrushing on clayboard (or cleared scratchboard) by Ampersand... the spray tends to sit on top of the board for a second before soaking in. You can accidentally blast it back off or create a pattern. :eek:
I have accidentally gotten it too wet but was able to dab it with a paper towel and go back at it. I really am falling in love with the airbrush - my tankless compressor - not so much. :o May invest in a better compressor.