PDA

View Full Version : New Year Painting Challenge

Elainepsq
01-04-2015, 02:52 PM
Hi all, it's the start of a new year, and I just got an idea for a great personal challenge and one we could try here on in the Digital Forum.
My New Year started out nicely, with a trip to the Oregon coast. I drove down on business, and then stopped at a couple of spots along the beach, as it was a beautiful day.
I got to thinking this morning, that it would be a good challenge for myself that ererytime I'm reviewing and processing photos from a day like that, I should pick out one to paint from, whether digitally or in watercolor.

So here is my New Years Challenge to you, I'd like you to look back over photos of places you visited last year. It doesn't matter whether it was an exotic vacation, or a trip out in your backyard- find one photo that calls you to work on - for whatever reason and then do some sort of digital art with it. Whether it is a painting, drawing, a digital manipulation of the photo, whatever.
Post both the photo and the digital piece for us, and give us a little idea of what software and techniques you used and what inspired you about the photo.

Here's mine from New Year's day. I did in layers on Artrage. I started with a watercolor sky and water, and then painted the rocks, the reflections and the sand in the foreground with oils. I've been to that beach before, but I never remember the tide being so low, so that you could walk out to those rocks. There were tide pools around the rocks, and little green anemone clinging to the rocks under the water line.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2015/42008-Arcadia_Beach_OR.jpeg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2015/42008-DSC_0229sm.jpeg

b'anna
01-27-2015, 05:04 PM
Elaine, this is great! I love the colors you have in the rocks. That's something you would have seen when you were there but won't see well in a photo.
I also love the idea but the thread will get lost down here. I almost missed it..
I'll have to see what I can come up with.
Barb

LavenderFrost
01-28-2015, 11:49 AM
I think I saw this before in a rush and then forgot all about it! That is very nice Elaine, great colours.

For me this is a year for new things creatively, but also for getting to those projects that have been in my head for a long time. I haven't done much digitally lately but another resolution is to work with TwistedBrush again so I will try to join in sometime soon.

maria_khurram
02-05-2015, 10:35 AM
A great challenge. And Elaine, very nice painting.:thumbsup:

LavenderFrost
02-18-2015, 11:39 AM
Finally got something done. Last year we went to the zoo in Winnipeg Manitoba, and were excited to see the new polar bear habitat. There is a restaurant right beside it with large windows along one wall that look out to where one of the bears likes to hang out. So we got to watch him playing out there while we had some lunch. His name is Storm.

14x11 at 300 ppi, TwistedBrush

Please critique!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2015/104871-PolarBear800x629.jpg

Elainepsq
02-20-2015, 12:35 AM
Great Job Michele, love all the textures. The fur, the rocks, the grasses in the foreground, fabulous!

LavenderFrost
02-20-2015, 11:14 AM
Thank you Elaine. I found a good brush for the distant foliage but the foreground, and the fur, were all done the hard way. lol