PDA

View Full Version : Winter Cardinal (WIP scratchboard)

SWells99
12-29-2014, 04:37 PM
This is a first attempt at scratchboard in 40 years...did two scratchboards prior in high school so it has been a while!

Need help with what tools to use...would like to try something to texturize the snow on the branches and a background. I have an exacto knife and a scratch tool. What can I use to color it as I would like to try this too?

This is only the cheap scratchboard on cardboard. I have the heavy ones but wanted to use this as a practice piece so as not to ruin a good board. Sorry I am new to this medium and really haven't done much artwork in YEARS.

I am not thin skinned so have at it please...I need an education...lol.

Thank you in advance,
Sue W

Here is the piece:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Dec-2014/1966107-CardinalScratchboard.jpg

Andrewcody
12-29-2014, 07:11 PM
Lovely
I have not used scratch board
I am sure others here with experience will assist
Regards
Andrew

SWells99
12-29-2014, 10:01 PM
Thank you Andrew...I would hope someone here can give a critique.

Sue W

M.L. Schaefer
01-01-2015, 09:51 PM
An excellent little practice piece....my question is, where are the little fellow's feet? The little face is already gorgeous!

But, please click on the red triangle and ask the Moderators to move this to the Scratchboard Art Forum. The artists there are very nice, very helpful, and can gently critique your work, AND tell you about tools. Some of the artists use a HUGE amount of special tools, and their art is drop dead gorgeous! They also describe the coloring process.

:crossfingers: Margarete

Dana Design
01-03-2015, 03:22 PM
The little cardinal is keeping its feeties warm under its feathers and I love it. Especially like your treatment of the snow on the branches. It's very well done for your first go at it.

I will copy this to the Scratchboard forum!

SandeVBL
01-03-2015, 06:46 PM
The cardinal looks fine. I haven't worked on cardboard in scratchboard (I use Ampersand scratchboard which is a masonite panel with white clay and a layer of ink) but if you can use a brush and diluted black ink over the snow then use your knife to make some new highlights it would look more realistic. That is one way to get better tonal values.
Keep up the good work and you'll be an addict like the rest of us in no time :)

Snow Dance
01-03-2015, 09:57 PM
Hi Sue, welcome to the dark side. Best advice I can give you is to get some small Ampersand boards. The smaller ones come 3 to a packet, and aren't pricey at all, Dick Blick is a good, reliable source. This switch alone will take your work to a new level. I've never done snow, but would guess that a fiber glass brush brush might be a good tool to try for it, Micro-Mark is a good on-line source for those, I use the small one.

If you look at the stickies at the top of the page there are lots of threads just crammed with invaluable information, the folks in this group are very generous with help.

Once again, welcome, and beware, scratching is very addictive!

Becky

Harry Seymour
01-05-2015, 07:00 PM
Very nice first attempt.