PDA

View Full Version : Alone in the Dark

DEO3
01-02-2015, 10:56 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2015/1149660-aitd05.gif

14x11 on Scratchboard

Deciding to come out of my shell a little and join the local art center has been one of the best decisions Iíve made recently. The art show schedule keeps me motivated, the varied themes of each show has me exploring whole new avenues of subject and style, and as a naturally competitive person, the competition from the other artists in each show keeps me pushing my boundaries.

I really struggled with this one. How does one create a foggy scene using a medium that's traditionally black and white? In addition, I decided to attempt some new shading and texture techniques - in particular the stippling which makes up the sidewalk and road. For the sky, I spent more than a month trying to come up with a way to get the effect I wanted with only scratching, but ultimately I had to admit defeat. I sanded off all my work and bought myself an airbrush for Christmas - only to have to spend another month learning how to use the thing!

I'm glad I did though, as it will allow me to push my boundaries even further in the future.

I had originally envisioned it coloring the whole piece with yellow/orange light, the kind of light that street lamps often are, but sadly (gladly?) time's up! It needs to be submitted tomorrow morning for a show.

Harry Seymour
01-03-2015, 09:21 AM
Love this work. You've captured the mood of a foggy night and with great scratching skill.

XQB
01-03-2015, 12:17 PM
Absolute Bravo! Looking forward to seeing much, much more. You'll push us all to step up our games.

Diane Cutter
01-03-2015, 01:19 PM
A nice mood piece, well scratched... I like how you dealt with the light halos creating that foggy sense.

Diane

SandeVBL
01-03-2015, 06:40 PM
I love the drama and mood in this. It looks 'done' and really doesn't need color. Good luck in the show with it! Looking forward to seeing more.

lhclarkart
01-03-2015, 09:09 PM
This is wonderful I love the variety in your work. The air brushed lights are very effective.

maryinasia
01-03-2015, 09:39 PM
beautiful!

JennyD
01-07-2015, 11:37 AM
I showed some friends this piece of work and no one could believe it was scratchboard. Your hours of patient work has paid off big time. It is a wonderful example of scratchboard and patience. Congratulations

M.Mason
01-08-2015, 08:31 AM
This is stunning!! I love the mood you've created and all the textures. Well done!

goatmilksoapgoddess
01-09-2015, 10:01 PM
This is one of the most amazing scratchboards I have ever seen. The halos around the lights, the way everything smoothly fades away in the sky...What can I say? Bravo :clap: Good luck with the show.

ggart4u
01-10-2015, 10:33 AM
Every time I see it, I love it more.

DEO3
01-11-2015, 02:26 PM
Thanks everyone!

I wasn't able to attend the show due to my son coming down with a fever that day, but I've been told I won second place! It's the first time I've won an award since working up the courage to to submit my work to art shows this past summer - definitely a confidence booster!

goatmilksoapgoddess
01-11-2015, 02:34 PM
Keep submitting that one to shows, and you're going to rack up a wall-full of awards! :lol: Congrats!