PDA

View Full Version : Creamy skin tones help!

evoena
01-02-2015, 11:05 PM
Hello, basically I am doing a portrait in oils and trying to imitate the soft/pale skin tones of this kris knight painting:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2015/1966228-photo_3_copy.jpg
however they end up super desaturated and kinda ghoulish, like this:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2015/1966228-photo_2.JPG
im using a palette of perm. rose, titanium white, and cad. yellow for the skin tones mostly. granted, my layers are super duper thin. How do i get the softness of kris knight's skin tones without it looking desaturated? im having a little trouble mixing the colors! any help would be super appreciated!

(also im super new here so forgive me if i post in the wrong category of the forum)

Bradicus
01-03-2015, 01:07 AM
Hi Evoena!
For your skin, I will just suggest what I would do to get this colour.
There are many ways to do it of coarse.

So you have a red and yellow(and white of coarse), and you need to grey in down with a blue or green. Otherwise your result is just a washed out colour with white.

Add a bit of cerulean or viridian or ultramarine blue to your red-yellow mix to grey down so it is not so 'pink'. Go easy on the yellow and blue in adding.

The portrait also has alittle blue in the face. Which you can get by greying down a blue with your yellow and red!

I will add I use cerulean/green shade just for greying skin tones as it is a weak tinter and it is easy to adjust when adding to a mix.

What brands are you using for your oil paint?

Hope I helped a bit,
Brad

Journeyman
01-03-2015, 05:13 AM
You need a blue in there, itís very subtle but if you look carefully you will see the blue tones. Look for them first on the chine below the lips then along the jaw-line. Once you can see them they are all over the place.

:wave: Dave.

evoena
01-03-2015, 06:31 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the help! i think the problem is a lot of the skin tones were just painted with a white/yellow base, definitely not enough blue in the mix. as for brand, i paint with artist spectrum oils!

Mythrill
01-03-2015, 10:54 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the help! i think the problem is a lot of the skin tones were just painted with a white/yellow base, definitely not enough blue in the mix. as for brand, i paint with artist spectrum oils!

Evoena, you don't need to fix the skin right now. You can just paint a white and red underlayer and then glaze with a transparent yellow (for example, Transparent Yellow Oxide, PY 42). It will simplify things a bit for you.

WFMartin
01-07-2015, 09:04 PM
Well, in my opinion, I don't believe that your colors are any bit more "ghoulish" and "desaturated" than those comprising the image you are attempting to emulate.;) Neither is a very "convincing" skin color.

Journeyman
01-08-2015, 05:43 AM
The clue is in the laurel leaves Bill, the painting evoena is trying to emulate is Classical Mannerism. Something well worth learning if you want to learn to paint rather than copying.

:wave: Dave

Patrick1
01-08-2015, 10:08 AM
In the reference/inspiration pic, the skin tones are generally very pale (lots of white) without much value variation - which is what gives the soft creamy look.

The hues he used are very much (unusually much!) toward the pink or 'rose' side of the rose/yellow balance - even for classical mannerism. If this coloration is what you want to emulate - and it seems you do - then rose, yellow and white (plus some blue to grey down...as other suggested) should be conducive to that.

However, IMO the skin colors in the reference are quite ghoulish even for this style. Using a light red or a saturated earth color rather than rose as the main mixing red (or simply using less rose in the mixes) will give a warmer, more lifelike color cast...even in the shadow areas.

WFMartin
01-10-2015, 12:10 AM
The clue is in the laurel leaves Bill, the painting evoena is trying to emulate is Classical Mannerism. Something well worth learning if you want to learn to paint rather than copying.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Oh brother!

Journeyman
01-10-2015, 03:00 PM
Oh brother!
Are you thinking of the Gothic which was close to the cloistered community of brothers and also became Mannered by 1500.