PDA

View Full Version : Joan's 2015 Sketches

Pages : [1] 2

Joan T
01-01-2015, 06:17 PM
Happy New Year everyone!!! I can't believe we are in 2015 already. Where did this year go?

I am starting fresh with a new thread for 2015.

Today I went out east looking for a spot to paint and the colors on the side of the road caught my eye. I had read a post this morning on FB by a woman who paints loosely holding her brush at the very end rather than near the ferrule and I thought I would try that. Here is how my painting came out. This is in one of my 5.5 x 8.5 sketchbooks.

Joan T
01-01-2015, 06:19 PM
Last year on New Year's Day my friend and I went to the food court at the Tanger Outlet Center in Riverhead to sketch people. Susan wasn't around to join me today, but I stopped there because I was close by (and needed to shop :clear: ). These were done with a Tombow marker and then I used a water brush to make the ink bleed.

Blooming
01-02-2015, 10:20 AM
Nice start to the new year! I like the looseness of your painting that way.

DrDebby
01-02-2015, 02:42 PM
Wonderful start to the new year. How did you like painting from the very end of the brush?

Joan T
01-02-2015, 06:14 PM
Thanks Blooming!

Debbie, thanks. It felt a bit strange because I am used to so much control. It was interesting to try it out. I've heard that advice a few times.

Joan T
01-02-2015, 06:21 PM
Today's plein air sketch done from my car. Done in watercolors and ink.

pezk
01-02-2015, 06:43 PM
Really cool Joan. I love that field and the colors in it.
You find the best spots.

eyepaint
01-03-2015, 01:15 AM
Happy Happy New Year! Wonderful people sketches.

Glynda B.
01-03-2015, 05:49 AM
Joan, I love the bakery painting. You were a brave soul to sit in your car to paint that and have the scent of the baking inundating you. I'm glad you did, though. Your paintings are wonderful.

DrDebby
01-03-2015, 02:10 PM
Delightful painting of the bakery. I'm with Glynda, to sit there and paint while smelling baked goods is a true testament to your dedication.

Scattykat
01-04-2015, 05:04 AM
...what a super idea, new year - new thread...
love the sketches me dear, the boutique bakery is fab, love it :)

Joan T
01-04-2015, 08:44 PM
Thanks Pat, EP, Glynda, Debby and Kat! Worse than the bakery smell is going to the food court at the mall to sketch and smelling the cinnabuns. lol

Yesterday was a big day of sketching with the NYC Urban Sketchers. We went to the Brooklyn Museum which among other things had an exhibit on killer heels. There were all kinds of high heels from the present and going back to the Ottoman Empire. It definitely made me appreciate the comfy shoes on my feet. lol

Joan T
01-04-2015, 08:47 PM
At our lunch break the urban sketchers usually sketch each other or people nearby. I sketched Jim and then it was off to another part of the museum where I found a huge statue of Robert Fulton...he stretched onto part of a second page he was so big. lol

Joan T
01-04-2015, 08:50 PM
Our custom at the end of the day is to retreat to a local bar to share our sketches, try out each other's new/interesting materials, and sketch some more. Most of the places we go to are usually "dives" but we went to a trendy place yesterday and the lighting was so dim I couldn't see what I was sketching. lol I left these two sketches as they were done there. These were done with a combination of pencil, watercolor pencils, and regular watercolors.

Glynda B.
01-05-2015, 08:37 AM
"Killer heels" is the right terminology, Joan. I couldn't bear wearing those. Wonderful sketches of them, though. I liked the people sketches and the Fulton statue. You do a wonderful job sketching people. Sketching in a dim place would be too much for me. Good for you!

DrDebby
01-05-2015, 02:25 PM
Fabulous collection of sketches. I can't wear killer heels either. The last time I wore heels was to my dad's funeral. It was one of his last requests that I dress up, including heels, for his funeral. :rolleyes:

Joan T
01-05-2015, 08:09 PM
Thanks Glynda and Debby. I wear heel maybe for weddings.

robertsloan2
01-05-2015, 09:51 PM
Wonderful start to the year! I love that field. Your bakery's excellent too and all the people sketches, but I think that field is one of my favorites of anything you've done. It's so colorful and effective. Less is more. Cool technique with the Tombow pens too. I'll have to give that a try, there's even a water brush in the Tombow set itself for blending out. Good variety of weird high heels, I guess the idea of putting women on stilts is an ancient one.

Eye
01-06-2015, 02:19 AM
Joan, I love those heel sketches and the cute looking chef entrance.

Joan T
01-06-2015, 09:10 PM
Robert - Thanks. There were a lot of odd high heels and when I came home I did a little reading about the history of high heels in cultures.

Thanks, Ai.

hobbyartist87
01-06-2015, 09:44 PM
Joan, you have really nice sketches. I am in awe of your work every time I look at it. Your sketch using Tombow pens has really inspired me to want to do my sketches in pen and ink after I use up either my pads of paper or our colored pencils.

Joan T
01-07-2015, 10:02 PM
Yesterday my portrait sketch group met and our model was Beth. I finished early so I did a tiny sketch of her in one of my small sketchbooks.

Tonight my other sketch group went to a local cheese shop, The Cheese Patch. It was fun sketching the counter with all the displays and bottles.

Sydney214
01-08-2015, 05:45 AM
Great sketches all around. I particularly like the field and the cheese shop, beautiful colours in both. I very much admire your ability to produce such beautiful scenes that connect with the viewer. Any time I attempt to do a scene is is always clinical and lacks any life. I don't really enjoy doing them but, just in case it is because I am so bad at it, I keep trying. Maybe if I get better at it I will enjoy it more.

robertsloan2
01-08-2015, 09:07 AM
Great cheese shop sketch! I love the mass of detail and the interesting nuances in all your urban scenes. You capture and catalogue so much that's quaint and colorful in life, everywhere you go. I tend to simplify a lot, would only do a tenth of the objects you put into a sketch like that and somehow you make it work, you mass them, the details flow into a coherent pattern and lovely composition. I'm always impressed by those complex scenes because it's so easy to make something like that come out confusing and unbalanced.

Great portrait of your friend Beth too. She has interesting features and I'm still awed by anyone doing people in watercolor.

DrDebby
01-08-2015, 02:37 PM
Lovely portrait. Great sketch of the cheese shop.

pezk
01-08-2015, 03:53 PM
Some of those heels look like weapons. I'd fall and break an ankle.
The cheese sketch is wonderful. Do They have sandwiches too?
Nice work.
Portraits are well done.

Joan T
01-10-2015, 12:01 PM
Sydney - Thanks so much. Like with anything it takes a lot of practice, which I do daily. I had an instructor for a workshop once and he said that if you think about all the other forms of art...dancers practice for hours, musicians practice for hours, vocalists practice for hours, etc. It is only painters who expect to sit right down and create a masterpiece without even warming up. lol

Robert - Thanks. You should see some of what I leave out of those scenes.

Debby - Thank you.

Pat - I thin some of those shoes could be used as weapons lol Thanks. The Cheese Patch had cheese, wine, soup but I didn't see sandwiches.

I haven't been getting out with my sketchbook so much lately due to the cold weather up here in NY and the fact that I am participating in Leslie Saeta's "30 Paintings in 30 Days." (Robert is too.) I've also been posting all the paintings from that challenge as a "Sky Series" over in the Watercolor Forum. Here is a link to it if you want to see.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1369031

I did get out yesterday for a quick sketch in my journal. This was a display in front of one of the restaurants that are closed for the season down by the water in Sayville.

robertsloan2
01-10-2015, 04:01 PM
Wow, great scene. I love the way it all ties together and you have all those textures. It's beautiful. Great atmosphere and accuracy. I love the loose vignette edges too, the way the strokes fan out. You're so good with watercolor and pen.

DrDebby
01-10-2015, 06:00 PM
Great urban sketch.

Joan T
01-14-2015, 10:01 PM
Thanks Robert and Debby. I love reading your comments.

Most of what I have been doing is for the "30 Paintings in 30 Days" challenge and those aren't in sketchbooks. Here are a few sketches I did get done.

I went to the local library the other day when it was raining and sketched some people.

Yesterday my portrait group met and Liz sat for us. I had time for a regular portrait in my sketchbook and a quick sketch of her too.

Joan T
01-14-2015, 10:03 PM
Tonight my sketch group met at Panera Bread again. (We've run out of different places to sketch indoors.) At least there are usually people around and some interesting displays.

Blooming
01-15-2015, 06:41 AM
I am eagerly awaiting Spring to be able to sketch outdoors again! It's nice that you have a group to go out sketching with! Kudos to you for sketching people... something I shy away from.

Sydney214
01-15-2015, 09:10 AM
I love your sketching style. I also want to slightly hijack your thread and say I have been working my way through all of the Art journal posts and have just read through a couple of yours from 2010! They are lovely, I am especially taken with your Venice journal (I am going to be so embarassed if it wasn't Venice... pretty sure it was).

DrDebby
01-15-2015, 03:34 PM
You have such great people drawings in your sketches. It really adds life to them.

Joan T
01-17-2015, 06:12 PM
Blooming - I am like you and am anxious to be able to go sketching outdoors. For now I'll sketch indoors or from my car.

Sydney - Thanks so much! Yes, I did several Venice journals because we were there two summers while my husband was working with some musicians. I also have one from Ireland and one from the last trip which was the cruise and Lake Como.

Thanks, Debby. One of my friends laughs because now at least I give features to the faces of the prople. lol

Joan T
01-17-2015, 06:27 PM
Things have been busy so between that and the cold temps outside I haven't been getting out as much as I was before. Then there is also my "30 Paintings in 30 Days" challenge. Those paintings are posted over in the Watercolor Forum as my "Sky Series." I am more than halfway through the challenge. Here is a link to them if you want to check them out. I know some of you have already gone over to look. I add to it every few days. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1369031

I did some sketching in office waiting rooms recently. The first one is from the doctor's office that I took my father-in-law to, and the second one was done yesterday while my husband was in seeing the dentist. I'm sure it would have been a more exciting sketch in the dentist's room, but I don't think either one would want me sketching while his tooth was being extracted. :wink2:

Joan T
01-17-2015, 06:29 PM
Today I sat in my car and sketched Main Street in Sayville. It is hard to sketch when the traffic keeps blocking your view. lol

zebby
01-18-2015, 01:26 PM
Love your main street sketch - ...must go through more later.

zebby
01-18-2015, 01:27 PM
Panera bread - wonderful! and now I know what I will eat today for lunch while football is on all day. I'll treat myself.

DrDebby
01-18-2015, 02:52 PM
At least you are still sketching even if it is under trying circumstances. Main Street is super.

Joan T
01-23-2015, 05:06 PM
Thanks Zebby and Debby! Sometimes if the traffic isn't too heavy I can sketch the small towns here.

Barry was our model on Tuesday morning.

Wednesday night my sketch group met in the local Michaels store. Someone found out that if the store doesn't have something scheduled in their craft room it is available for local groups to use. We reserved it and each of us brought along a few items to put into a still life. We had lots of items so we ended up setting up a few small scenes. Sophia brought in silk flowers in a vase so I did that first. Then I sketched the tall cat sculpture with the doll and the pomegranate.

DrDebby
01-23-2015, 06:42 PM
Great sketches. Super details on the guy's sweater.

zebby
01-25-2015, 01:02 PM
i really enjoy seeing your sketches! I find buildings and houses difficult unless I am seeing a straight on front view with no angles. I've been practicing cabins in the mountains near where I live and I get so frustrated.

jmb57
01-26-2015, 09:27 AM
love your sketches!!!

Joan T
01-28-2015, 06:07 PM
The other day I just HAD to do a visit to the ocean. I think that is where my soul gets recharged and I hadn't seen the waves in much too long. I took along my oil pastels which I used sort of like a resist for the whites of the water and the waves. The rest is all watercolor. I'm glad I went when I did because the next day is shown in the next post.

Joan T
01-28-2015, 06:20 PM
The Blizzard of 2015 hit us here in NY that night into the following day! My area of NY, the middle to eastern end of Long Island received about 16 inches of snow. I was snowed in and since the roads were closed I made the best of the situation. In the morning I painted the view from my bedroom window. I could just barely see over the snow piled on top of the bushes outside the window. I used watercolors, watercolor pencils and a bit of ink for this one.

Next I dressed for the arctic conditions outside with lots of layers and my warm hat, gloves, scarf, etc. I tucked my tiny palette of watercolors, a waterbrush and a pen into my inside pocket (so the water wouldn't freeze), and headed outside. I had my camera and took a few photos but I was looking for a spot where I could stand inside and get a view of the parking lot which was where all the activity was with the snowplows and everyone trying to shovel out their cars. My car is garaged so I didn't have to worry about doing that...just wait until maintenance cleared the driveway behind me. Anyway I found a view from the community center by the pool. The only windows that had a view were the ones in the doors, but it was fairly comfortable to sketch and I had a pretty good view of someone digging out their car.

Blooming
01-28-2015, 09:05 PM
What a fantastic scene to capture in your sketchbook! And to think you were at the ocean the day before!

zebby
01-28-2015, 10:08 PM
So interesting to see your sketches - everybody I imagine was tuned into the news about the big storm. Here in So Cal - your weather was what people talked about in the stores.

Can't believe you went outside to paint - wow, that's commitment. Love your sketches.

we had snow predicted which never happened but did get rain which we need so bad out here.

DrDebby
01-29-2015, 03:16 PM
Now that's dedication to getting some sketching done. Great picture.

vhere
01-30-2015, 04:06 AM
So glad we don't get snow that deep where I live!

Lovely sketches , especially the snow and shops.

Joan T
02-13-2015, 09:28 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments. Somehow I got behind in posting again.

This winter continues to give me lots of opportunity to sketch snow and ice. lol Here are a few more.

Joan T
02-13-2015, 09:30 PM
I've sketched a few people too at our portrait group. Dino was the model, but when I finished him I sketched Sally sketching him.

Joan T
02-13-2015, 09:33 PM
Here are a few more snow scenes. One was done locally and the other out the window of my sister's house looking up her street.

vhere
02-14-2015, 08:45 AM
brrrrr! shivering!

Joan T
02-14-2015, 09:12 AM
Vivien, glad you felt the atmosphere. lol

DrDebby
02-14-2015, 02:48 PM
You are right, lots of snow and ice. Great sketches.

Joan T
02-14-2015, 03:25 PM
Thanks, Debby. We still have so much snow and ice around and are expecting more today into tomorrow.

Joan T
02-14-2015, 03:32 PM
Last Saturday I met the NYC Urban Sketchers at the Metropolitan Museum of Art for a day of sketching. These were done in a 5.5 x 8.5 sketchbook. I used watercolor pencils and ink rather than my wc palette because the museum's website says no wet media, but they didn't stop anyone from painting or using water at all. I got to do three full page sketches and one of one small one of one the other sketchers.

DrDebby
02-15-2015, 02:42 PM
Great sketches. Like the knights.

Joan T
02-16-2015, 09:09 PM
Thanks Debby.

Here is a sketch done at the beach where there was some snow on the dunes, a sketch done in a grocery store of the fish counter, and a sketch from our local coffee/tea shop.

DrDebby
02-17-2015, 02:32 PM
You are the master of sketching anywhere you are. That is amazing. Great sketches.

Glynda B.
02-17-2015, 03:16 PM
Joan, your work always wows me. You do so well in all the situations you find yourself. It's exciting to see what you've found next to paint. I really enjoy your shop scenes. Love the people and the shop environs. Keep it up!

Joan T
02-19-2015, 09:18 PM
Thanks Debby and Glynda!

Last week I had to take my car for its state inspection and new rear brakes. While I was at the Nissan Service Center I did quite a bit of sketching.

Joan T
02-19-2015, 09:21 PM
People were very cooperative. LOL The big excitement there seemed to be their new coffee machine that wasn't working quite right. I think everyone who works in the office was there at some time to fiddle with it. That's what was happening in the first sketch here. I was lucky to get a cup of coffee while it was working. Before I left they put an "out of order" sign on it. Take the coffee away from the staff and they aren't happy. lol

DrDebby
02-20-2015, 04:57 PM
Lots of people. Great job. Sorry about the coffee.

Joan T
02-22-2015, 06:45 PM
Debby - Thanks. I had my coffee so I was happy. They even supplied bagel for breakfast.

The first sketch of the bread area was done at a local market. The other sketches are from my local library. We've had some really cold days so sketching indoors was better than sketching in the cold car.

Joan T
02-22-2015, 06:49 PM
Here are a few unrelated sketches.

One was done at the local arboretum while I sat in my car.
One was done sitting at a Starbucks at a Macy's department store looking at the mannequins by the entrance.
The last is a pencil self portrait...here's looking at you!

DrDebby
02-23-2015, 04:18 PM
You always seem to have great variety in your sketches. Marvelous.

JennyMK
02-25-2015, 12:13 AM
I really miss the snow when I see your winter scenes… So lovely!

Joan T
03-17-2015, 09:45 PM
Thanks Debbie and Jenny.

With all our snow this winter I did quite a few sketches of the snow. The one of the ice boat was done from a photo for a challenge and the others were done en plein air from my car. I bought a Strathmore journal with toned paper so I did a snow scene that way too.

Joan T
03-17-2015, 09:48 PM
Here are a few more winter scenes...it feels like it will never end. lol

DrDebby
03-18-2015, 01:48 PM
Wonderful winter scenes. Spring is just about here. Just a few more days.

Joan T
03-19-2015, 04:01 PM
Thanks Debby. Spring may be arriving tomorrow, but they are forecasting 2 -4 inches of snow here on Long Island. Winter seems to be hanging on tight.

Here is another winter scene on toned paper.

Joan T
03-19-2015, 04:06 PM
This group was done on an outing with the NYC Urban Sketchers. We went to the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens to get out of the winter weather. They have a great bonsai museum and a desert room. At lunch we always sketch each other, so I got to sketch a few people too.

Joan T
03-19-2015, 04:08 PM
Back to a few more garden sketches and then one from Tooker Alley, a local bar where we went to share our sketches. The two people were seated at the bar across from me.

eyepaint
03-19-2015, 08:33 PM
Joan, these are wonderful. Love all those snow scenes. What were you using to make the white parts? How do you enjoy working on the toned paper? I've seen those Strathmore books available and was interested to hear your feedback.

Joan T
03-19-2015, 09:32 PM
Thanks EP. I used a white colored pencil but I really had to press hard to get it to show so much and my hand hurt from pressing so much. I give credit to people who use colored pencil and do all those layers. Maybe the next time I'll try a white conte crayon. I like the look the toned paper gives, but you know me...I'm a watercolorist. I haven't tried to see what happens if I add watercolor. A friend of mine who was using the toned paper before me does add some watercolor. I'll have to give it a try.

DrDebby
03-20-2015, 02:45 PM
Wonderful sketches. Gosh, it's been ages since I've been to a botanical garden. Maybe it's time to find one and go. :)

Joan T
03-22-2015, 08:57 PM
Thanks Debby!

I was recently away for a family visit and then a painting workshop in Myrtle Beach, SC. On the way down to my brother's in Georgia I took my sketchbook to a seafood restaurant. The only thing to sketch was my dinner...shrimp, a sweet potato, and some hush puppies.

My brother drove us up to an interesting town north of him called Blue Ridge. I sat and sketched part of the town and the scenic railroad.

Then came a week of no sketching...only painting. By the time we were driving home I was feeling sketch deprived. After we checked into the Hampton Inn in Fredericksburg, VA I sketched the view out the window. At dinner that night at the Mexican restaurant across the street there was a great stone fireplace with a massive bull head. It was crying to be sketched. lol

Joan T
03-22-2015, 09:03 PM
Here are a few sketches I did since my return.

First is the Carmen's River Deli.
My husband's birthday was last week. He wanted to go to the Chinese buffet for his birthday dinner. I elected to leave out all the other tables of hot food there.
Last here is a sketch done from the parking lot at a boat dock. I was in the upper lot which has a nice view of Connecticut across the sound.

DrDebby
03-23-2015, 02:09 PM
Can't have you feeling sketch deprived! Wonderful group of sketches.

Glynda B.
03-27-2015, 05:19 AM
Joan, your sketches are just wonderful. I'm always amazed at how you take a simple scene and suddenly it's something well worth sketching. To me, my environment is so ordinary, I don't see the use in it. LOL! BTW, your snow scenes on the toned paper make me want to try that paper. Thanks for showing us that. Your garden and people sketches, are as usual very interesting and fun. Your snow sketches filled a lack for me. Here in S. Carolina, we had NO snow or ice during the winter. Thanks and keep sketching!

Joan T
03-27-2015, 05:38 PM
Thanks Debby and Glynda!

I saw this old truck when I was out driving one day and HAD to sketch it.

Next is a sketch from our local coffee place. I've sketched it so many times that I had to do a different view this time.

I've passed the paving company below so many times thinking it would make a good sketch but there really isn't anywhere to park. I ended up pulling up on the grass under some trees across the street and sketching from my car. I didn't know what kind of business it was since there was no name anywhere. I did find the address and googled it to find out it was a paving company.

Glynda B.
03-28-2015, 08:25 AM
Oh boy. Those sketches are so interesting, Joan. Love the truck and the paving company especially. That guy at the coffee shop looks like he's entertaining himself. I really like the way your sketches pull the viewer in. I want to know what's in the truck, what the man is looking at so diligently, and how the paving place works.

DrDebby
03-28-2015, 02:38 PM
Strange the paving company didn't have a name posted. Great sketches.

Joan T
03-28-2015, 09:01 PM
Glynda - Thanks. I had fun with the one of the paving company. The coffee shop guy was friendly and didn't seem to mind being sketched.

Debby - Thank you. I rode back and forth from the office to the two entrances. Lots of signs telling truckers what to do, but no name...strange.

This group of sketches is from last week's outing with the NYC Urban Sketchers. We went to the Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine in Manhattan. The cathedral is impressive looking, and while we were there there was almost constant music. Choirs from around the country came in and sang, took some photos and left. It was wonderful for those of us who were sketching since it made it seem like we were in heaven. I sketched one of the many choirs we heard.

Then I sketched a bit of the view from the center of the church to the front doors.

I had a few minutes before we were leaving for lunch, so I sketched a young girl from another choir. She reminded me of the Degas ballerina.

Joan T
03-28-2015, 09:06 PM
At the cathedral there had been a year-long exhibit by a Chinese artist. The exhibit was called the Phoenix and two huge birds (male and female) had been hanging from the ceiling. The sculptures were made from found materials. The exhibit was taken down on Friday and we were there on Saturday, so the pieces of it were on palettes on the floor of the cathedral, waiting to be shipped back. I sketched one of the birds.

I also did one last sketch from one of the side rooms of the cathedral looking through the arches and more arches across the cathedral.

Glynda B.
03-29-2015, 08:15 AM
I really like the sketches of the cathedral. The choir reminded me of my choral days. The sound in a place like a cathedral is just heavenly. I'm sure you enjoyed your time there. Thanks for the wonderful work!

DrDebby
03-29-2015, 01:44 PM
What an amazing sketch opportunity.

thevaliantx
03-29-2015, 05:56 PM
Love your sketches, Joan!

Joan T
03-31-2015, 04:21 PM
Thanks Glynda, Debby, and ValiantX! The cathedral was definitely inspiring.

Here are some recent sketches.
I love the colorful boat yard. I've been there before to sketch and there are usually boats in the water. With our long winter I was surprised to see boats uncovered in the yard. This was sketched from my car.

The beach was also sketched from my car on a cold, windy day. There were still some patches of snow on the sand.

Taylor posed for us last week. When she first sat down I didn't think she would work as a model. She sat still, except for her head. She was obviously very uncomfortable with a room full of people looking at her. It didn't help that her sister was in the back and any time their eyes met Taylor would start to laugh. It took about 20 minutes before she was able to stay still. That is the problem with using young models.

Joan T
03-31-2015, 04:27 PM
On Thursday I went out to my sister's house. We had to pick up paintings from a show upstate, so while we were there we found a barn to sketch from my car.

Back at her house I noticed that her neighbor had 2 bird feeders hanging outside the window. There were a lot of birds stopping by and what seemed to be one hungry squirrel. I stood by the window by the sink to sketch the view.

Mickey and I were working on trying out using gold-leaf in our paintings. We had watched a demo of it in the workshop we went to at the beginning of the month. I was busy waiting for my adhesive to dry so I sketched Mickey across the table from me.

Glynda B.
04-01-2015, 06:33 AM
Wonderful sketches, Joan. Had to laugh at that squirrel. They do dedicate a lot of their time to stealing the bird seed.

DrDebby
04-01-2015, 01:18 PM
Delightful sketches.

Joan T
04-01-2015, 09:22 PM
Thanks Glynda and Debby.

These were all done on Sunday at the Planting Fields Arboretum in Oyster Bay. They have a great tropical greenhouse. Right now in addition to the tropical plants they had a lot of Spring flowers.

DrDebby
04-02-2015, 02:01 PM
I think I'd be too distracted by all the lushness to sketch. Great job.

Glynda B.
04-03-2015, 10:19 AM
Joan, the scent must have been heady. You show the arboretum well. I feel the humidity just looking at them. Very nice.

Joan T
04-06-2015, 11:08 PM
Thanks Debby & Glynda.

Here's a recent portrait of Barry who has posed for our portrait group before.

This landscape was done at Longwood Estate in Ridge.

Joan T
04-06-2015, 11:11 PM
The other night two friends and I went to an acoustic jam to sketch. I was able to sketch all of the musicians except one who was blocked by the others.

Joan T
04-06-2015, 11:14 PM
This one was sketched en plein air today and is about 3 1/2 x 5.

KreativeK
04-07-2015, 09:41 AM
Joan, I'm loving seeing your sketches! They keep getting better and better.

DrDebby
04-07-2015, 03:16 PM
Sketching, friends and music. What a wonderful evening. :)

Glynda B.
04-08-2015, 06:17 AM
Joan, your sketches of the musicians are so much fun. I can't think of anything more fun to do while you're listening to music than to sketch the music makers. I almost never get to hear live music when I'm out, and I always enjoy seeing musicians through your eyes.

Gribbey
04-08-2015, 08:29 AM
Love your sketches, Joan. Just great!

robertsloan2
04-13-2015, 10:22 PM
Wonderful sketches of so many places and people. You capture a lot of a person's quirks in your sketching, but what I love most are the plein air forest and the arboretum paintings. All of them are jumping with life!

Joan T
04-13-2015, 10:35 PM
Kay - Thanks so much!

Debby - Thanks. It was a fun time.

Glynda - Thank you. It isn't easy to find live music, but I jumped at the chance.

Gribbey - Thanks.

Robert - I appreciate your kind words. Thanks!

It seems like musicians keep popping up. lol There is a big band that plays at a local bar the first Monday of the month. Three of us went to sketch them the other day. These were harder to do because it was so dim in the bar. I sketched them there in pencil and added a bit of color at home.

DrDebby
04-14-2015, 02:36 PM
Great series of musicians.

Joan T
04-20-2015, 06:03 PM
Thanks Debby. I have a bit of catching up to do here.

Tyler posted for my portrait group recently.

These are 3 mini (2 1/2 x 3) landscapes that I did near the beach.

Joan T
04-20-2015, 06:13 PM
This group was done at a sketching session with the NYC Urban Sketchers at Sotheby's Auction Houde in Manhattan. I thought it would be strange to sketch there but everyone was very nice to us and let us pretty much sketch anywhere. I did a statue that was right near a $million Monet painting.

There was a floor with designer showcases. I picked the room with the pink walls and while I was sketching it I met the young man who designed it. I loved his sense of color. When he walked out of the room there was an elderly gent sitting in a chair in the corner of the room. He asked me if I do the sketches for fun or do I sell them. I told him that a lot of them are done for fun but that I do sell them sometimes. He asked if the sketch was available and bought it for the designer who happened to be his grandson as a remembrance of his first show at Sotheby's. Now I can say that one of my sketches sold at Sotheby's. lol

Then I sketched another designer room, my friend Janet sketching, and a still life in one of the bedrooms.

DrDebby
04-21-2015, 02:09 PM
Wonderful sketches. Great that you sold a sketch. Congrats.

Glynda B.
04-21-2015, 02:56 PM
Wonderful that you were able to paint at Sotheby's. I know that young designer will treasure your sketches. His grandfather was really on his toes to spot a way to make it special for his grandson; I'm glad it was to your benefit, too. Nice sketches.

Joan T
05-08-2015, 09:02 PM
Thanks Debby and Glynda. It always makes it special when someone appreciates your art and buys it.

Both of these were done at local beaches. If you are wondering what the cross-shaped thing is in the first sketch, it is an osprey nest platform.

Joan T
05-08-2015, 09:09 PM
Here are two recent portraits and a windmill from a local park.

Joan T
05-08-2015, 09:11 PM
Here are a few sketches done on the NYC subway going into the city.

vhere
05-09-2015, 04:03 AM
Lovely story bout the designer and grandfather:)

And you dazzle me with how much sketching you fit in!

DrDebby
05-09-2015, 02:54 PM
Delightful subway sketches.

Glynda B.
05-10-2015, 06:40 AM
I'm always amazed at your subway, etc., sketches. I don't know how you get away with sketching people. I wonder whether you ever have discussions about sketching with your subjects. I'm sure they'd be very happy with the results after the sketching, but I wonder about the first comments on it. I'll bet you have some interesting stories about those.

Joan T
05-11-2015, 09:47 PM
Thanks Vivien, Debby, and Glynda. It is very rare that the people I sketch on the subway or train ever notice what I'm doing. lol People are so unaware of what is going on around them...like these ladies. Of course the back of the train seats sort of hid me a lot.

Joan T
05-11-2015, 09:51 PM
These were done on an outing with the NYC Urban Sketchers to Roosevelt Island which is between Manhattan and Queens. It is small enough to walk from end to end (barely) and has a lighthouse at the tip of it. To get to it from Manhattan you have to take a tram.

DrDebby
05-12-2015, 02:43 PM
Wonderful sketches.

zebby
05-13-2015, 12:51 PM
Joan - I love all your latest sketches. The people in the subway, and...is that a vase of forsythia - my favorite flowers - ....(in Kansas we had a row of forsythia plants when i was a kid and i've always been reminded of home when I see them blooming on our mountain side.

You have such a talent!

Joan T
05-23-2015, 05:36 PM
Thanks Zebby! It is great that certain things remind us of earlier days.

We have been lucky to have had a few weeks of so many trees in bloom. I was in heaven!

Joan T
05-23-2015, 05:39 PM
I recently did an art show. During the lulls I worked on a sketch of the show itself.

Jim was done at our portrait group. He brought along his guitar. I had trouble with the foreshortening of his arms in the position he held. I should crop that part out of the picture. lol

Joan T
05-23-2015, 05:41 PM
Starbucks is a good location for sketching when the weather is rainy.

The sketch of the farm stand was done from the comfort of my car. The parking lot there is too crazy to attempt to sit outside.

robertsloan2
05-23-2015, 05:41 PM
Joan, these are great! I love that magnolia especially. Awesome flowering tree but the magnolia sings. Good people sketching too.

DrDebby
05-24-2015, 01:42 PM
Great sketches. You are an inspiration.

Joan T
05-25-2015, 07:44 PM
Thanks Robert and Debby!

A few weeks ago the NYC Urban Sketchers met on a cold, windy day in the meatpacking district of Manhattan to sketch the new Whitney Museum and it's surroundings. It is a rather modern looking building. I didn't think much of it from the outside and didn't feel it fits in with the look of the neighborhood, but it is supposed to be phenomenal on the inside. Here is a sketch of the Whitney, one of the corner down from the Whitney which includes part of Highline Park at the top. I also did one of a restaurant and some of the other sketchers.

vhere
05-26-2015, 04:17 AM
Great glimpses into NY :) the informal, every day life.

Glynda B.
05-26-2015, 08:53 AM
Joan, I love these sketches. You make me feel like I went along on the trips. The sketches about the Whitney Museum and surroundings were really nice.

robertsloan2
05-26-2015, 02:36 PM
Joan, these are great! Well done on all four of them. That's so cool. Like the one you did of the sketchers, their proportions are excellent and I'm sure you got the likeness well!

DrDebby
05-26-2015, 03:01 PM
Delightful sketches.

Joan T
06-01-2015, 09:11 PM
Thanks so much Vivien, Glynda, Robert and Debby!

These were done at the portrait group I belong to. When I finished our model I sketched two of the other artists at work.

Joan T
06-01-2015, 09:15 PM
Here are two local sketches. One of a cow done at the Suffolk County Farm. I'm always happy when they bring the cows in from the pasture to be fed...sometimes they just let them stay out and graze.

The second sketch was done from the memorial garden at the beach looking over the dunes.

DrDebby
06-02-2015, 02:52 PM
The cow and her earrings are quite fun. Great sketches.

Joan T
06-03-2015, 05:28 PM
Love that Debby....the cow and her earrings. lol

For the month of May I was doing "Every Day in May" so here are a few of them and a sketch of some dunes.

Joan T
06-03-2015, 05:32 PM
This group was done in Manhattan when I met the NYC Urban Sketchers in Central Park at Bethesda Fountain. It is a place chock full of people and activity in any direction you look. Can you tell I was inspired?

DrDebby
06-04-2015, 02:32 PM
Is that a guy making giant bubbles? Brilliant work.

Joan T
06-04-2015, 08:41 PM
LOL Yes, Debbie, he was making giant bubbles. Thanks.

robertsloan2
06-06-2015, 10:32 AM
So cool! Great detail and character!

Joan T
06-09-2015, 02:28 PM
Thanks, Robert!

Recently I took a ride up to Port Jefferson to catch their Sunday farmers market. There were a number of interesting stalls, but I wanted to be out of the way of the shoppers so that limited which ones I could sketch. I loved the bread lady who was talking with one of the security guards...she loved it later when she saw it. The jams and jellies booth had a lot of traffic. I had to make sure to sketch it during the lulls. lol I also did a sketch of the harbor area. It was a warm day and a few people were actually brave enough to put their feet in the cold water.

Joan T
06-09-2015, 02:32 PM
Seamus posed for our portrait group recently. It looks just like him. He reminds me of a seafaring man and could definitely fit in on the boat in the next sketch. When the wisteria was in bloom here I was sketching it a lot. You'll see more of it in soon.

DrDebby
06-09-2015, 03:09 PM
Marvelous sketches.

Joan T
06-16-2015, 09:20 PM
Thanks Debby.

I usually don't let an arrangement of flowers that comes into the house go unsketched.

My sister and I went to Presby Iris Garden in NJ to sketch one day. It was a bit overwhelming, so I sketched as many of them as I could in watercolors. I even got my sister in the sketch.

Joan T
06-16-2015, 09:23 PM
This group was done over Memorial Day Weekend. I sketched with friends at a farm, sketched the lifeguards at the beach, and the end of a local Memorial Day Parade.

vhere
06-17-2015, 03:01 AM
Very evocative :)

DrDebby
06-17-2015, 02:48 PM
The irises are beautiful. Great summer sketches.

Joan T
06-18-2015, 08:04 PM
Thanks Vivien and Debby.

Here's some wisteria from the arboretum and some sketches done at the beach.

Joan T
06-18-2015, 08:08 PM
These were done going to on or back on the mainland from an outing with the NYC Urban Sketchers to Governors Island.

jacquip
06-19-2015, 03:52 AM
Joan these are all looking so wonderful. Loving all the people in the sketches too. What a great travel diary.

DrDebby
06-19-2015, 02:54 PM
The wisteria is gorgeous. Great group of sketches.

Glynda B.
06-21-2015, 12:20 PM
Joan, all of these are wonderful. I particularly liked your tulips, iris, and wisteria. However, you also do such a marvelous job painting scenes you see. I never tire of seeing your work. Love it.

Joan T
06-21-2015, 07:21 PM
Thank for your comments Jacqui, Debby, and Glynda.

The man and woman were on the train with me coming back from the city. I ran out of room when I was sketching the man. His little girl fell asleep with her head in his lap.

The other sketch was done at Sayville Beach which is a tiny local beach. Right next to the sand is a walkway and a few benches. It is fun to sit on the beach because I can easily see the cast of characters that sit for a while. Of course some stay a while and some are gone quickly.

Joan T
06-21-2015, 07:27 PM
Over on another blog that I do with a group of people we have a theme that changes about every two weeks. The theme in the beginning of June was to paint something in the style of one of your favorite artists. My marsh was done ala Van Gogh, but watercolors tend to blend a bit too much for that style.

The veggies and fruit were for another project.

Elfe was our model one morning. I did a portrait of her in my large sketchbook and a small, quick sketch of her.

Joan T
06-21-2015, 07:30 PM
This one of the marsh I did with an Elegant Writer pen which activates if you wet it. I like the sort of washy look I got with it.

My sketch group went out one evening to sketch at a local clam shack. It is a fun place to sketch but it was freezing that night. I thought we had returned to winter. lol I had on long pants, a turtleneck shirt, 2 sweatshirts and fingerless gloves.

Glynda B.
06-22-2015, 09:36 AM
Joan, your sketches are wonderful as usual. I loved the Crab Shack and the Sayville Beach sketches in particular. The marsh scenes were interesting too. I always like seeing marshes, but I don't care for being too close to those here in SC. Keep up the intereresting work.

DrDebby
06-22-2015, 03:37 PM
Wonderful array of sketches. :)

zebby
06-24-2015, 12:17 AM
all your latest sketches I quickly went through them and you are so talented. But, i have to say the ones in NYC are my favorite - so beautiful!!

robertsloan2
06-25-2015, 11:17 AM
Once again a wonderful sense of time and place in all your sketches. Your people are characterized in so few strokes and such a small area sometimes. Well done! Interesting Van Gogh texture in watercolor, very effective considering the medium.

Joan T
08-16-2015, 08:29 PM
Sorry it has been so long since I've been here. I've tried to catch up on everyone's sketchbooks, and now mine.

Thanks Glynda, Debbie, Zebby, and Robert.

My next trip into NYC with the urban sketchers was to sketch the Intrepid which is a HUGE aircraft carrier turned into a museum. I was very close to it and there was no way I could get the entire structure into one sketch. So I did the front and the rear...fore and aft? I missed the middle entirely.

Joan T
08-16-2015, 08:31 PM
On the way back to the subway I passed an interesting outdoor flea market. I had to stop. I also did some sketching on the subway.

Joan T
08-16-2015, 08:33 PM
This tree was sketched in Setauket. There are two of these massive trees and both of them have all sorts of interesting details to their trunks and lots of carved initials.

The second sketch is along the walkway by the water in Sayville.

Joan T
08-16-2015, 08:35 PM
These two sketches were done at the beach. There are so many great models there.

Joan T
08-16-2015, 08:37 PM
At my Tuesday evening sketch group Alex posed for us. I did a long sketch and then a quick one which I happen to like better.

robertsloan2
08-17-2015, 01:16 AM
Wow! You've been prolific again with lots of complex people and buildings. Great perspective and sense of place. That little lunch place with a crowd around it in the green is so effective, so bright and red against the setting. My favorite is the big tree though, that just leaps out at me. You managed to convey its unique character and pale bark so well. Gorgeous sense of size and age there.

Joan T
08-17-2015, 08:11 AM
Thanks so much Robert! I still try to make sure I sketch something or paint something every day. If I don't I end up feeling out of sorts. LOL I love that tree too. I'll have to check and see what kind of tree it is. I love the light bark and massive size.

DrDebby
08-17-2015, 03:29 PM
Amazing group of sketches. You do people in scenes so well.

Joan T
08-17-2015, 09:37 PM
Thanks Debbie.

My sketch group sketched one evening at a community garden. The veggies were just starting to grow.

Joan T
08-17-2015, 09:40 PM
I know a lot of artists sketch their food and I do sometimes. Just so you get an idea of the size of this creature I am including a photo of myself holding it. It is real. The lobster was 7.11 pounds. This was done with an Elegant Writer caligraphy pen. It bleeds so nicely when you touch it with water.

Joan T
08-17-2015, 09:48 PM
I visited FAO Schwarz with the NYC Urban Sketchers. It is a famous toy store in Manhattan that was featured in several movies, including "Big" (with Tom Hanks). We decided to sketch there because the store was closing due to the high rents on 5th Avenue. It is sad to see it disappear. As you enter the store you were greeted by a toy soldier. There was a giant piano keyboard on the floor which you could play. Later we went by Central Park to sketch the carriage horses which may also be leaving NYC. A decision hasn't been reached on that yet.

DrDebby
08-18-2015, 05:31 PM
That is a huge lobster! Sad about the FAO Schwarz store. Great sketches.

Joan T
08-18-2015, 09:08 PM
Thanks, Debbie.

One of the good things about traveling into the city is I usually get to sketch passengers either on the Long Island Railroad or the NYC subway. These were done on the subway.

Joan T
08-18-2015, 09:16 PM
These were done at Riverside South Park at 71st St and the Hudson River with the NYC Urban Sketchers. It was a day where it drizzled on and off, but we had a good spot under umbrellas at an outdoor cafe.

Joan T
08-18-2015, 09:18 PM
Of course i got to do a few train sketches that day too since I took the LIRR into the city. I even managed a sketch of some people waiting for trains in Penn Station.

DrDebby
08-19-2015, 04:59 PM
Great people sketches.

robertsloan2
08-20-2015, 01:02 AM
Great sketches and all of them so varied! I'd heard about FAO Schwarz, it seems odd that even upscale places can't make the rent now. That's just crazy.

Joan T
08-23-2015, 09:00 AM
Thanks Debby and Robert.

Robert, I'm sure they will end up building an apartment building on the site. The rents in Manhattan are out of sight.

My sketch group met at Robert Moses State Park one evening. I always enjoy sketching the lighthouse. That night it was so humid that the paper just wouldn't dry and everything kept bleeding. Plein air painting at it's best. lol I did sketch the lighthouse and then this strange plant I was told is called mullein.

DrDebby
08-23-2015, 04:00 PM
Yup that's a mullein plant. Bees love them. Great sketches.

chammi kaiser
08-28-2015, 04:30 AM
I have really enjoyed looking through all these sketches Joan. Love the lighthouse.

RainySea
08-28-2015, 08:13 PM
Joan, you do so well at capturing the nuances of the places you are each day! Well done.

Joan T
08-31-2015, 08:42 PM
Debby, Chammi, and Rainy...thanks!

These were done at a park in Queens. We had a view of the city, a living sculpture, and a yoga class to sketch.

Joan T
08-31-2015, 08:46 PM
Here are some beach sketches. Some I've just done in ink. Most are done directly in ink without any pencil first. I've been trying to do at least one sketch that way when I go to the beach.

Joan T
08-31-2015, 08:49 PM
We have a local farm/museum with a few silos and some animals that are fun to sketch. While I was there a little kid was having a birthday party and they were giving the kids a tour of the farm and letting them meet the animals.

DrDebby
09-01-2015, 01:54 PM
Fun summer sketches.

Joan T
09-01-2015, 10:45 PM
Thanks so much Debby!

My husband and I went to DC during the summer for his nephew's wedding. On the way we stopped for some Maryland blue crabs. We stayed at the St. Regis Hotel so I sketched a bit of the lobby.

The wedding guests were treated to a guided bus tour of Washington, DC. Of course I sketched a few of the stops...very quickly so I wouldn't be late getting back on the bus for the next stop.

RainySea
09-01-2015, 10:48 PM
Awesome sketches, Joan. I especially like the crabs... YUM

Joan T
09-01-2015, 10:49 PM
I haven't neglected portraits. Dennis posed for us one night.

I went to Ocean Beach, Fire Island with two friends. The ocean was really rough and the tide was really high so we stayed on the platform of the stairs over the dunes to sketch some of the houses right on the beach. The last sketch was of the center of town.

DrDebby
09-02-2015, 05:07 PM
Great selection of sights as always. :)

Joan T
09-18-2015, 10:51 PM
Thanks Debby!

I've been getting some opportunities to sketch people while out and about.

Joan T
09-18-2015, 10:55 PM
This group was done on an outing with the NYC Urban Sketchers to Hoboken, NJ which is right across the river from Manhattan.

Joan T
09-18-2015, 10:58 PM
Here are a few more people sketched here and there.

DrDebby
09-19-2015, 03:17 PM
Marvelous group of sketches.

Joan T
09-22-2015, 04:59 PM
Rainy, I missed your comment on the crabs back a ways. Thanks. They were so yummy, but a lot of work. LOL

I love doing sketches of the Fire Island Lighthouse. This was done from across the Great South Bay. The second sketch is a local restaurant.

Joan T
09-22-2015, 05:11 PM
One of the local towns here had something they called "Dogs Night Out" which included a parade of dogs available from the local shelter for adoption. They each came down the street in an old car. They were too hard to sketch but I think every person who owned a dog in Bellport brought their dog in for the festivities. The dogs had a lot of fun socializing, as did their owners. The owners were easier to sketch because they stood in the same spot for a while. LOL

Joan T
09-22-2015, 05:13 PM
I don't know about you, but I love visiting the farmers' market both to sketch and to shop. This one was right down the road from me. Before I did the sketch of all the veggies, I asked permission from the owner of the booth that I had sketched. I didn't want to get in the way of his paying customers, but he was very happy to have me sketch.

DrDebby
09-23-2015, 03:33 PM
Great sketch opportunities. Marvelous job.

chammi kaiser
09-23-2015, 04:13 PM
They are all wonderful sketches. Full of life and a great reminder that there is something to sketch wherever we might be. You have really inspired me to keep my sketchbook handy. Thanks for sharing.

Joan T
09-23-2015, 09:44 PM
Thanks Debby and Chammy!

With all my visits to the beach I got in some beach sketches done directly in ink.

Joan T
09-23-2015, 09:47 PM
Here are some bits of this and that all done from life.

Joan T
09-23-2015, 09:50 PM
Here are two small watercolor sunsets done in my sketchbook. The last sketch was done at Captree State Park Marina where the fishing boats leave from. I'm glad I sketched a few people before they boarded.

DrDebby
09-25-2015, 02:31 PM
Brilliant. Lovely sketches.

laudesan
09-26-2015, 08:00 AM
I just love your work Joan!

Joan T
09-26-2015, 06:24 PM
Thanks Debbie and JJ!

I joined the NYC Urban Sketchers in the city one Saturday to sketch at Madison Park where there was an unusual art installation. I have been taking an online class with Marc Taro Holmes where we have been sketching in ink, brush pens, and watercolors. I don't usually sketch directly in ink so this is a big change for me and I think it shows a bit. I did the building with the fire escape and the Flatiron Building that way.

Joan T
09-26-2015, 06:27 PM
Here are a few sketches of people on the train into the city.

Joan T
09-26-2015, 06:31 PM
Here are some beach sketches done directly in ink.

DrDebby
09-26-2015, 09:25 PM
Great work on all of these.

chammi kaiser
09-27-2015, 08:03 AM
Joan. Great beach sketches. You have captured the holiday feeling perfectly.

BeeG
09-27-2015, 11:01 AM
Very fun! And not a trace of sand anywhere on the line work....I would have been afraid that the sand would clog my ink!

laudesan
09-28-2015, 04:28 AM
What wonderful sketches Joan. Love them!

Joan T
09-29-2015, 09:10 PM
Thanks Debby, Chammy, Bee G and JJ. Bee G, I never even think about the sand clogging the pens. It usually gets into my paint palette. lol

These were done for "homework" for the lessons in the online workshop I've been taking using fine line pens & brush pens, drawing directly in ink. I'm getting more confident doing my sketches that way.

Joan T
09-29-2015, 09:17 PM
I had some of my sketches in a show at a gallery recently along with other local sketchers that I go out with. A few of my sketches sold. A couple came into the gallery and were interested in having me sketch a house as a thank you gift for someone who hosted a fundraising party for their organization for the last few years. I needed to take photos of the front of the house while the people weren't there so they wouldn't know about it. The house was wide and I couldn't get the entire house in one photo because of a group of trees behind me. I ended up taking 3 photos and overlapping them. The roof lines in this were a nightmare. The people who commissioned this loved it, but they haven't given it to the homeowners yet so I haven't found out how they liked it.

Joan T
09-29-2015, 09:20 PM
I live in an area with a lot of waterfront areas nearby, so I am getting a lot of practice sketching boats of all kinds. Here are a sailboat and a ferry at the dock.

DrDebby
09-30-2015, 03:30 PM
Congrats on the sales and commission. Great variety of sketches.

robertsloan2
10-05-2015, 11:21 PM
Wow! Congratulations on the sale and the painting's wonderful. I know they'll love it. Great perspective especially for what you had to do with the references. All the rest great sketches. Love the strong darks of the three homework scenes, they are very striking. Great boats, you're really getting boats!

HarvestMoon
10-07-2015, 09:15 AM
Joan your sketches have inspired me for years! How nice to find them here all together! Love your very detailed boats!

Joan T
12-05-2015, 06:24 PM
I always have such good intentions to get back here to post but time disappears. I promised myself that before I would post new sketches I would have to comment on what was posted while I was away...and I think I've finally caught up.

Thanks for your comments Debby, Robert and Tina.
Tina, it was such a great surprise to see you posting over here now!:clap:

I'm not sure where I left off but if I don't get started I'll never get anything posted. lol I'll just jump in at a good spot.

Joan T
12-05-2015, 06:28 PM
Back in September I was doing a lot of ink sketches for a class I was doing online. Here are a few more of them. The bottom two were pretty much continuous line sketches.

Joan T
12-05-2015, 06:31 PM
Here are some sketches of people at the beach done in ink.

Joan T
12-05-2015, 06:33 PM
I have been trying to sketch directly in ink as much as possible. It was a real challenge for me to give up my pencil and eraser. I save those for the drawings I do for larger paintings now.

Joan T
12-05-2015, 06:36 PM
Here are more boat related sketches from houseboats to boat yards. All were done on location directly in ink.

Joan T
12-05-2015, 07:18 PM
I joined the NYC Urban Sketchers in Brooklyn at the Gowanus Canal, one of the most polluted waterways in the USA. They are slowly cleaning it up and the area has a certain charm with concrete plants, factories, and assorted strange buildings and structures. The ugly has a beauty to it.

Joan T
12-05-2015, 07:22 PM
These were done at a local Civil War reenactment. It was something a bit different.

Joan T
12-05-2015, 07:24 PM
Here are a few assorted local sketches.

hobbyartist87
12-05-2015, 09:30 PM
Joan, good sketches. I especially like how you combine ink and watercolor. Your sketches are among those that inspire me.

laudesan
12-05-2015, 10:19 PM
What a fabulous body of work! I would love to do a workshop live, with Marc Taro Holmes :)

Your sketching skills have grown and your work is awesome!!!

DrDebby
12-05-2015, 10:49 PM
Wonderful pages. Thank you for getting up the courage to post again. A delight to see.

Aiylah
12-06-2015, 05:14 PM
Great sketches, very lively! I admire anyone who can go and paint or draw outside with people around them. I tried it once and felt suddenly aware of everyone around me (whether or not they were looking) and then a bit anxious. So well done! Love the last two there that look like they are near the sea :)

Joan T
12-06-2015, 09:45 PM
Sandra - Thank you.

JJ - Thanks. I got a lot out of Marc's online class. I can just imagine what a live class would be like.

Debby - Thanks. Life seems to have been rather busy lately.

Alylah - Thank you. You find the more you sketch outdoors the less you notice people around you...or you don't care any more. lol

These were all done during a trip to Brooklyn Heights with the NYC Urban Sketchers. I could have spent a week there sketching. I just loved the brownstones.

Joan T
12-06-2015, 09:49 PM
These are all local sketches. The last few were done when my car battery died. First I was sitting in the parking lot waiting for the tow truck to come, and then the others were done at the Nissan service center waiting for the new battery to be installed. Times like that I'm always happy to have a sketchbook with me.

Joan T
12-06-2015, 09:52 PM
The NYC Urban Sketchers met at the Metropolitan Museum of Art to sketch. There is always a variety of subjects.

chammi kaiser
12-07-2015, 03:04 AM
Joan , great sketches - all of them but I just love those done in the Brooklyn Heights. :thumbsup: What a pleasure to sketch those lovely brownstone buildings.

hobbyartist87
12-07-2015, 05:04 PM
Good sketches, Joan. The musical instruments turned out really great.

DrDebby
12-07-2015, 05:35 PM
Wonderful sketches. Glad you had your sketch supplies with you when the car died.

HarvestMoon
12-07-2015, 06:16 PM
I always love your sketches! You were doing cool sketchbooks of travel and life way before the urban sketching trend!

Joan T
12-08-2015, 10:59 PM
Thanks Chammy, Sandra, Debby and Linda!

Linda, I just didn't know I was doing urban sketching. lol

Back in October I took a few short trips. The first was with my husband up to Cape Cod. We took the ferry over from the tip of Long Island to Connecticut and then drove the rest of the way. Our first stop was Hyannis where after lunch I sat by the harbor to sketch. The dunes and beach treasures were sketched right outside on the property where we were staying.

Joan T
12-08-2015, 11:03 PM
I wanted to sketch one of the lighthouses and the Nasuet Light seemed close enough to drive to...about 30 minutes from where we were staying. When I got there I realized my bag with my art supplies was still on the bed at the hotel. Luckily I keep a small moleskin notebook in my car with some sketching materials so I was able to do something small. The rocks were done on the beach in front of the lighthouse after climbing about 75 steps down to the beach.

Joan T
12-08-2015, 11:08 PM
The next day we drove to the end of Cape Cod to the town of Provincetown. It is a funky, interesting, artsy town. We go there every time we go to the Cape but it had been about 10 years since we were there. While I was sitting on the corner sketching the Lobster Pot restaurant, a woman pulled her car over, rolled down the window and asked if I was an urban sketcher. I told her I belong to the NYC Urban Sketchers and she said she belongs to a group there. The second sketch was from along Commercial Street which has a mix of shops, galleries, restaurants, and houses. The third sketch I did from the beach looking back at the town.

Joan T
12-08-2015, 11:11 PM
It was a short trip, and on our last morning first I did a continuous line drawing of the bed in our room and then I sat out at the hotel to sketch a bit of the grounds. Then there was a final sketch on the ferry going back home.

DrDebby
12-09-2015, 01:37 PM
Wonderful vacation sketches. Glad you had an emergency stash of art supplies with you after making your way to the lighthouse.

hobbyartist87
12-09-2015, 05:51 PM
Beautiful vacation sketches, Joan. I think your vacation trip proves there is a point to having a sketching kit in almost every bag so this does not happen.

Joan T
12-09-2015, 09:56 PM
Thanks, Debby. I make sure I have extra supplies tucked into different places.

Sandra, thank you. It pays to be prepared.

eyepaint
12-10-2015, 12:16 AM
The dunes and beach treasures were sketched right outside on the property where we were staying.

LOVE the inkwork for the dunes!!! Wowweeeee!!!

Joan T
12-10-2015, 11:06 PM
Thanks, EP!

Next we headed up to Maine to visit my sister and her family. Over Columbus Day Weekend her town hosts the Damariscotta Pumpkin Festival. There are all kinds of pumpkin related activities. One of my favorites includes the giant (400+ pound) pumpkins that line the street and are carved or painted by different artists. They are so creative!

Joan T
12-10-2015, 11:09 PM
One day we headed out for a ride and looked for some scenery to paint. I also sketched my sister sketching.

Joan T
12-10-2015, 11:14 PM
In October I was in the middle of doing a challenge where I was doing a sketch a day in ink, so you will be seeing some sketches just in ink.

Another part of the Pumpkin Festival is the Regatta. Some of the giant pumpkins are carved into boats that are paddled or steered by contestants who need to get them around some buoys out in the harbor. It is a very funny contest because the pumpkins in the water are not very stable and tend to tip easily. I sketched the crowd waiting for the event to start and then the race itself.

Joan T
12-10-2015, 11:16 PM
And a trip to that part of Maine has to have a visit to the Pemaquid Lighthouse. This was done as a single line drawing.

DrDebby
12-11-2015, 04:22 PM
Wonderful collection of sketches and memories.

RainySea
12-11-2015, 06:55 PM
Love how you capture so much in your quick sketches. Do you often look back at your old sketchbooks and remember these times?

hobbyartist87
12-11-2015, 08:21 PM
Beautiful sketches, Joan. Your quick pen-and-ink sketches are inspiring.

Joan T
12-11-2015, 09:31 PM
Thanks Debby, Rainy, and Sandra. I find when I look back at the sketches later it brings the whole trip back to me.

The first sketch was done at Panera when I met up with one of my sketch groups. The scarecrows were decorations on the trees and the lamp posts in Bellport. They were so much fun to sketch.

Joan T
12-11-2015, 09:35 PM
Here are a few more ink sketches I did in October.