PDA

View Full Version : Sennelier or Schmincke?

tmeks
01-01-2015, 06:53 PM
What do you recommend?
For these two companies I have access to.
I would like to start building a pallet.
Tomek

learning to paint
01-01-2015, 07:04 PM
What kind of work are you doing? Generally, Sennenier is a bit harder, and easier to control. I would start with a both of half-sticks because they dod not crumble (as some Sennelier sticks tend to do). Schmincke is more for finishing because they are softer, but you should try for yourself.

Single sticks, then half-stick sets, then whatever. Enjoy!

SAS Designs
01-01-2015, 07:12 PM
Definitely HALF STICKS. Check out the wonderful "collections" now available online, DB has the best descriptions, so does Jerry'sArtarama. The collections, Landscape, Paris of half sticks are really wonderful.
As mentioned above, especially for Sennelier, the half sticks hold their shape, less crumbly than the whole sticks, and no paper to unwrap.
Think I'd buy BOTH, and see what you like.
good luck
suzy

tmeks
01-01-2015, 07:48 PM
I prefer impresionist style. Sense of color and simplify shapes. I mean, I think i will go that way. Thanx for response

robertsloan2
01-01-2015, 08:49 PM
Sennelier and Schminke are both in the super soft category. Given that and price, I'd say go with Sennelier. The half sticks sets have a good palette, the 120 color Paris Collection is well organized for pretty much any subject. I got the 80 half sticks set before they came out with 120 Paris but still may get that one eventually. (Too bad they didn't do some "Additional 40" set to complete an 80 half sticks one from before!).

DAK723
01-01-2015, 11:11 PM
If it is possible to buy open stock, I would get 4 or 5 of each brand and then see which you like best.

You may also end up liking some colors from one brand and some from the other. You don't have to choose one over the other. I always choose new pastels by their color - not the brand.

Don

mudfish
01-01-2015, 11:46 PM
Schminke is way too soft for general work IMO.

Judy Manuche
01-02-2015, 10:28 PM
I agree with Mudfish, don't have a use for Schminkes, and use my senneliers sparingly, but I am a portrait artist and only use the softies for hair.

Nick7
01-03-2015, 01:40 PM
I don't remember what you have now.

I bought Paris as my first set (without trying any pastels before). I was happy with it for several month. Some sticks however are hard - they don't leave any marks on a paper. They would be probably OK for sanded papers. Or I should sand the outer coating.

Then I bought one white Schmincke and several Rembrandts and a set of Unisons.

I am very happy with the Unisons and gradually stopping using Senneliers. I don't see myself ever using more Schminckes than the white - very soon I create paste on the paper when I use it.

Many people are happy with Rembrandts. And it's not because they are affordable, it's because they are good.

I used to dream about Terry Ludwigs, but I am afraid it would drive me nuts how dusty they are :) And you can't get them in Europe.

tmeks
01-06-2015, 02:25 PM
Thanx for help!
I draw with palete of 60 half sticks Rembrandt pastels.
I ordered a dozen pastel Rembrand to complement palette.
I order also a few sticks of Senneliers.

chuas2
01-06-2015, 03:43 PM
I would get 4 or 5 of each brand and then see which you like best.
I always choose new pastels by their color - not the brand.
Don

Ditto that. I was just thinking about this, doing a painting that calls for that midnight blue Sennelier that I can't find in any other brand.

That said, I'm firmly in the Schmincke camp, with their gorgeous violets...just as I am with Girault and their neutrals..and..:lol:

SAS Designs
01-06-2015, 03:54 PM
tmeks
just want to make sure you know the HALF STICK sennelier have a different texture, less crumbly, seem to hold together better than the whole sticks. Also, there is no paper to peel off the half sticks either. When I took the paper off the whole stick, many crumbled, especially the darker colors: blues, violets.
good luck, hope you enjoy your new pastels.

JPQ
01-07-2015, 11:03 PM
I like Schmicnke more becouse in manufacturer tests less poor lightfastness hues. And even looking pigments looks true more odd when we talk ART not kids stuff or medicine...) pigments. Most my softpastels are Schmincke becouse both brands here where i live most of hues are special order only which means i need order 3 pastels of same hue.
ps. expect grays i really needed Sennelier (Unison,and Schmincke grays are too colourful to me for basic gray needs,they are useful but when i paint gray cat i want it look it not light blue or light orangish gray etc) and if you have open stock mix both brands. I mix all brands what i list. and use also w&n pastels to end. and also another handmade stuff which very liekly i never get again.(its not knowed if man who made them made them again and one important pigment if i remember correctly is now discontinued).

RickinNM
01-10-2015, 06:40 PM
I like the Schmicnke better myself.

This stems from a trip to the inlaws . They live near a big supplier of pastels. I bought some testers from various brands 5 or 6 of each Art spectrum , Mt Vision, Great American, Sennelier and Schmincke. 1 box had 5 Sennelier and 6 Schmicnkes . I put a padding of viva paper towels top and bottom of the box and a foam padding but not between them (that was a mistake ). Painted a little then home trip 2000+ miles in my luggage and in the back of a pick up (even skidded into a bar ditch from black ice).

Get home unpack and get ready to add new pastels to my slowly growing collection. Open up the box remove some and to my horror :eek: :eek: :( I find the rattling and bumping between them reduced 4/5 of the Sennelier to a tube of chunks and dust but 6/6 of the Schmicnkes seemed fine the white Schmicnkes did break while using it later but might have been I was heavy handed 6 months later. The unbroken Sennelier was a dark reddish brown forgot the name and is just plain hard. Everyone talks about how soft and fragile these are Sennelier is far more fragile than Schmicnkes by far.

Did I get a bad batch ? :confused: on 4 of them ? I called the company about them no other issues were reported , they said I needed to lighten up on my touch he did offer if I sent them back to him with copy of receipt he would make it right instead I added crumbles and water and reformed them. And the other ones were packaged the same way and with no causalities.

This certainly left a bad taste in my mouth . That was my first venture into the real soft pastels 2 years ago.

I am still using that box I keep Schmicnkes in it and haven't crumbled or shattered one of them yet, its been on long trips on the dirt roads around here. If I would have thought when ever you buy them online they are surrounded with foam.

Good light fastness and you can easily find out whats in them and more durable than its leading rival and very soft.

J.D.
01-12-2015, 09:00 PM
tmeks
just want to make sure you know the HALF STICK sennelier have a different texture, less crumbly, seem to hold together better than the whole sticks. Also, there is no paper to peel off the half sticks either. When I took the paper off the whole stick, many crumbled, especially the darker colors: blues, violets.
good luck, hope you enjoy your new pastels.

This was my experience as well. The half sticks and the whole sticks are like working with two different companies. I have the Paris set of half sticks and like them. The whole sticks are not worth the money.

tmeks
01-14-2015, 06:45 AM
Thanx for response.
For now, I stay with Rembrandts for most paints.
In future if I will decide Schmincke or Sennelier, it will be Schmincke I think. I buy one stick and I'm very happy. Schmincke however, require very different skills, control and sense with drawing.
Tomek.

tmeks
01-22-2015, 09:26 AM
I just ordered 25 Schmincke set.

120 half-sticks Sennelier is tempting choice but in future I couldn't buy single sticks thats comes to end.
I can buy in online store 180 single sticks but with the exception most of 120 half-stick.
So pallet replenishment without "live" looking up sticks would be very difficult.
Sennelier cost me about 2.20$
Schmincke cost me about 2.85$
It's impossible to buy Schmincke half-stick.

I choice 25 Schmincke full sticks and I will build up in future my pallete with single sticks.
As opposed to Sennelier, I have acces to full single sticks palete - 520 colors.

robertsloan2
01-24-2015, 05:23 PM
The colors in the half stick Sennelier sets are also available in full sticks. If I used one up I could order a replacement and just break it, store the second half for later. But I don't know what you have access to. The color numbers are listed on the box though so it's not hard to replace.

Very cool you got the 25 Schminke though. Get what suits you, that's the thing. Everyone has favorites.

tmeks
01-24-2015, 05:26 PM
I can't buy that sticks from 120 set in Poland. I check it first, before made decision.

robertsloan2
01-25-2015, 08:20 AM
Oh that's so frustrating. Yeah, given that I can see why you went for Schminke instead. They are really good, I just haven't gotten more than the sample ones because I already had so many Sennelier.

vanity
01-30-2015, 05:13 PM
I can't buy that sticks from 120 set in Poland. I check it first, before made decision.

That's probably a matter of personal preference but given that you already have a nice set of Rembrandts I'd say it's not that necessary to order any large sets of either brand. You may end up with colors you'll never find any use for. Since nowadays you can get both Schminkes and Sennies in open stock pretty easily in polish online art supply stores (finally), I stick (no pun intended) to buying colors that I may find useful and assemble my own palette. Senneliers are my go to brand when it comes to the darkest colors, while Schminke range has some of the best light hues very suitable for final touches available in any pastel range, but again, that's just my personal opinion.