PDA

View Full Version : The Goalpost - January 2015

robertsloan2
12-31-2014, 02:03 PM
Happy New Year!

Welcome the the Goal Post. Goal setting is a very good tool to help people get organized. If you write or post your thoughts, you are more committed and have a better chance of reaching those goals.

Your goals can be short term or long term. They can be daily, weekly, monthly or annual goals. Goals are personal, so everybody's goals will be different. They are your goals, so you can do what ever you want.

Come join the regular gang and get encouragement to help you reach your goals. We have a very friendly group and we are always looking for new people to join us.

Yeah, this is a bit early by some hours, but I am pretty sure I'm going to bed early tonight and will not be up to make the post when the people with televisions are watching a ball drop. So if you see this before midnight, give yourself some closure on the old thread and come back in a few hours to set your first January goals!

*Deirdre*
12-31-2014, 05:36 PM
Happy New Year Robert!
Hope everyone will achieve all their Goals in 2015!:wave:

robertsloan2
01-01-2015, 07:44 AM
Purr thanks Deirdre!

My own goals for January...

1. Daily Art
2. Spotlight
3. Work on editing one of my novels.

At least once during the month I want to get out one of my finished novels and work on editing it. I found a good cover artist for Elder's Pride (formerly Sabertooth), love her work and started the first payment for my cover commission. That's a commitment to actually make the book available, so, I should get cracking on editing it! As usual the first chapter is what'll really need a lot of work anyway.

Mij
01-01-2015, 04:01 PM
Happy new year to you all and Robert and thanks for starting us off. Good goals there. I do hope you get the book going.

My goals for this month will have to wait until I am a little freer with my time. I want to do more watercolour and gouache this year and I also want to try more miniatures, perhaps I can combine them. I will write some outcomes later in the month.

My sister and I did a 1000 piece puzzle last night and this morning and she wants to complete the 2000 piece puzzle before she goes home. That means that she can donate it to the charity shop she bought it from and will save her carrying it on the train. We had feared that some pieces might be missing but it was all there.

I get some time on the computer because SWMBO and Sis watch the soaps. Monday and Friday nights I call 'Cinema Nights' because the soaps are going from 19:00 until 21:00. Tonight is exceptional in that there are two episodes of each and go from 19:30 to 21:30.:angel:
jim

Judibelle
01-01-2015, 10:30 PM
Happy New Year to Deirdre, Rob, Jim, and all our 'goalpost buddies'....

i'm hoping to get off to a good start this year, so am determined to do at least one Spotlight and one 'other'. If I do more than that, it's all good...

Grinner
01-02-2015, 12:06 AM
Hello everyone :wave: Best wishes Robert, Judibelle, and Jim on your goals, and I hope your new year is off to a good start.

I have a tendency to do a big project and then do nothing for a while until the next big project. I did a trio of portraits for someone who gave them as a Christmas gift (thankfully both the giver and the recipient were very happy! Whew!), and I'd like to ride that momentum. Instead of letting myself fall away, I want to draw more regularly so I'm always "warmed up," as it were, and always growing and improving.

My goals for January are:
1) to set everything aside at least once a week to focus on drawing, and
2) to get to a life drawing session at least once this month.

Glad we can cheer for each other here!

robertsloan2
01-02-2015, 02:46 AM
Grinner, that sounds awesome. Life drawing is always so stimulating. Go you!

Judi, PURR! Looking forward to seeing your pastels, this is going to rock!

Jim, excellent goals and yes, that ought to work really well. Gouache is fantastic for miniatures and ATCs, so is watercolor really, but gouache gets an effect almost like pastels sometimes because you can do light over dark. Any watercolor that gets too frustrating can always be finished up with gouache too.

I have a set of 24 pan gouache paints on their way that were supposed to arrive yesterday, but now have vanished from tracking and have no expected arrival date. I'm wondering how long I should wait before telling Blick they went to the Twilight Zone, please re-send the package.

Dougwas
01-02-2015, 07:16 PM
Hi Gang! Happy New Year!

For a number of reasons I had to put my art on the back burner for a few months, but I never gave up on it and it. I will always find a way to be creative, because when I can't create, I am miserable. :clear: The friends I have made here are very special to me and it is great to be back!

For the past month I have been taking an online watercolor course at ArtTutor.com with Chris Berdoll, and I am really enjoying it. Watercolor will be my main medium for the next few months, but I still want to play with my other toys, so with that in mind, here are my goals for January 2015;

1) I will work on the Art Tutor watercolor course for 3 hours a day, 5 days a week.

2) I will play with other mediums at least once a week.

That's it. No more is needed. It will keep me learning and having fun and that's what I want. It is always fun to learn!

Take care!

Doug

Dougwas
01-02-2015, 07:30 PM
Robert- Great goals! Keep it simple! I also liked your resolutions on FB. :thumbsup: Thanks for hosting!

Grinner- Congratulations on the commissions. It is always reassuring when the customer is smiling. Good luck with putting aside some time for your drawing.

Judi- Glad to see you are still at it, Judi! One Spotlight and every other thing is gravy! Good luck with bot.

Jim- My MIL never misses an episode of C Street. It has to be one of, if not the longest running show on TV. I don't know if that is one of the soaps or nor. Just taking a guess. :wink2: It was puzzle week here between Boxing Day and New Years. I didn't get involved, but it kept my wife and daughters busy. I hope you find some time to do your watercolors. I have used gouache over failed watercolor paintings. Even if it doesn't turn out it doesn't matter because it was already a failure.:lol: It was quite liberating. I felt free to try things. Have fun!

Doug

getdusty
01-02-2015, 07:32 PM
simply put, my goal is to paint/draw/art stuff more :)

Grinner
01-03-2015, 12:33 AM
Thanks Robert and Doug!

Hey Doug, I've never heard of arttutor.com! Just checked it out, and I'm very intrigued. Would you mind sharing more about your experience with the site? Do you use the groups or mainly focus on watching the lessons?

Thanks so much for mentioning it. I might have to try it for a month - at that price, it's definitely worth a shot, but I'd love to know more.

Mij
01-03-2015, 05:08 AM
Hello Judi, good to see you drop in. I hope all went well over the festive season and a spotlight in the offing as a goal as well.

Hello Grinner, congratulations on the commission success, and a couple of good goals there. It's nice to have a long term goal as well as the monthly short term ones. Let's hope you achieve them to your satisfaction.

Hi there Robert. I see by the other page that your delivery arrived and a fine 'selfie' was included. No doubt we shall see them put to good use this next few weeks. That was a good tiger that I saw elsewhere!

Hi there Doug. It is good to see a post from yourself. Yes 'Corry' is one of the soaps and 'East Enders' and my sister follows 'Emmerdale' as well. I haven't done a puzzle in years excepting the six piece etc that we have for the grand children. It was good fun get back into it but my strategy has changed I'm sure.
Arttutor.com sounds good I think I have a set of watercolour disks from there. You have a couple of good goals there and let's hope your health allows you to achieve them.

Hi there Peg. That is a good goal and an easy one to remember. Anything art wise this month and goal achieved. A good one.

Today we have SWMBO's family get together and there will be 10 of us, 11 if the Grand Son (newly passed out teacher) turns up (has not answered text yet).
I think I'd better go downstairs and give a helping hand/moral support.
Jim

Dougwas
01-03-2015, 01:33 PM
Grinner- What an idiot I am.:wink2: It is WatercolorTutor.com and not Art Tutor.

I can't believe the help Chris has given me for so little money($18 a month). He loves teaching ( he is a high school math and art teacher) and you can tell. The videos are very easy to follow and the assignments are small "doodles." I section off a 1/4 sheet into 6 squares. When I am happy with two in a row I email the doodle to Chris and he critiques it and lets you know if you should move on or keep going at the same assignment. I have done as many as 20 doodles for one assignment. I just couldn't get it, but Chris guided me though it and I won't forget the technique. :lol:

The forums are not active. I have tried, but to no avail. When I first started I asked him if he wanted to see the paintings for each assignment or only the ones I was having trouble with. He said most people don't send him their paintings, but he wants to see them so I send him my paintings for every assignment. He usually gets back to you within a couple of hours and sometimes within half an hour.

I guess it is like most things, the more you put into the course the more you get out of it. I told him right away that I wanted to become a good watercolor painter and he could be very honest with me. I think it is paying off.:crossfingers: For $18 a month it is worth a try. He does insist on using Arches paper and certain watercolors.

Sorry about the confusion. I have belonged to Art Tutor as well and it was okay, but a lot like WC. It was more student lead. I need some one on one teaching.

Jim- I have heard of East Enders and I think my SIL watches it. I just finished watching the entire Spooks series this past year on Netflix. I warn my family that it was quite possible I might start talking with an Enlish accent. :lol:

Doug

Nick7
01-03-2015, 01:52 PM
Hi all :)

I think I will keep it simple. My goal is to spend less time in front of computer "doing research" and watching demos, and paint and draw more. I have very little free time so I need to be more picky how I spend it.

I put my pastels away before Christmas to have more room, so hopefully I will feel inspired enough to put them back on the table and get my hands dusty.

Doug, I have been taking watercolor lessons with http://www.janeblundellart.com/ and I really appreciate how helpful she is. I have just realized how difficult sketching in watercolor is for me, so practising this would be my January goal as well.

robertsloan2
01-03-2015, 03:37 PM
Sounds great, Doug. So glad you found the right teacher. If I wanted to get more into watercolor I'd be tempted after your description. The price is good and it seems like you're getting a lot of help. It makes a difference what you put into it with a teacher. Cool he answers that fast too!

Nick, that's a good plan. It helps to just do it, paint more and draw more. Yay for getting your pastels out again now that the holidays are over. I love how you paint, can't wait to see more from you.

Yesterday did Ari cat for my first artwork of 2015, today will at least get in a sketch and maybe more. I have home care coming though so Saturdays it's not always easy to get painting time.

Judibelle
01-03-2015, 05:17 PM
Hi guys...
Grinner and Peg...I'm all for keeping it simple! Good luck and Happy Painting!

Doug....How great to hear from you...i have wondered about how you are doing, and am so glad you posted! Good going on the art lessons!

Nick...yes, good idea to 'get off the computer and paint!" I need to do that, too!
Rob...great start with Ari...way to go...

Started a thumbnail today...but that's as far as I got with one of the spotlights refs...Need to do another with a different crop before I sit down to paint..(yep...procrastination!! I'm good at that!)

getdusty
01-03-2015, 06:21 PM
I'm happy to report that it is the third day of the month and I have accomplished a goal...already did a pic, charcoal as I've been having some difficulty with value and massing and thought if I eliminated the pesky, but lovable color, I might do better. Turned out quite well. Today I spent a couple a couple of hours reorganizing my "extras" into color families. So, now when I see (for example) that the yellows in my palette are getting sparse, I don't have to look through way too many boxes. I can just open the "yellows" container and start selecting. That's it for now, but I'm happy with the start I've made.
Sounds like everyone is making a good start.
Doug, glad to see you posting again. Will check out that site as watercolor is the other medium I am struggling with.

robertsloan2
01-05-2015, 02:53 AM
Judi, congratulations on your thumbnail. That's more than I managed yesterday and I wish I'd thought of it, or I would have done something like that. Today I did a black bird though, it came out pretty well. Posted it in Studio.

Mij
01-05-2015, 04:41 PM
Doug Said I have heard of East Enders and I think my SIL watches it. I just finished watching the entire Spooks series this past year on Netflix. I warn my family that it was quite possible I might start talking with an Enlish accent. :lol: I hadn't known about this series so googled it to find out. Fascinating and yes, I'll understand if you start using an English accent :lol:.

Ok Nick on taking watercolour classes with Jane Blundell and that she is really helpful. Also that your goals this month would be practising sketching in watercolours. I could easily join you in that. I sketch everything in graphite or charcoal.

Hi Robert, I did see Ari cat as a colouring exercise. A good idea for the beginners. I can understand about home care days – you have to fit everything around that. It is so essential to the rest of your week.

Hello JudiB. A thumbnail is the beginning of an image so you have made a start. That is the difficult stage over :angel:. The continuance is just moving from stage to stage innit?

Hiya Peg. You have already accomplished a goal by the third day of the month? Incredible! Well done you. I would really like some more demonstrators to do thumbnails and grey-scale/value images before they delve into inspiration and technique. Re-organizing pastels or art equipment or studio is a fundamental goal for any artist. :clap:.

My Sister goes back to St Austell (by train) tomorrow. As an evening meal I did bangers and mash with my sisters onion gravy. It was delicious and it slipped down with a bottle of Merlot to boot.
That is Christmas and new year over for 2014.
Now to get on with 2015.

Oh dear, it looks so financially bleak. The whole world is bankrupt! And it seems that we are leading them - but our papers are saying nothing? Why not?

It's being so cheerful that keeps me going.
Jim

getdusty
01-05-2015, 05:47 PM
Jim, "Well", she said sheepishly,"not really accomplished the goal, but got a start"...to have drawn or painted anything is a huge accomplishment these days. :) Glad your family visit went well and a bottle of merlot goes with just about everything.
Doug and Nick, watercolor classes, Judi with a thumbnail and Robert working around his home care with the ever inspiring Ari...it's a good beginning to the month.
Seems the most effective way for me to keep painting is to sign up for classes because then I have to go and do it. In that vein, I've signed up for a workshop in Chinese brush painting. I am intrigued by it and so will give it a try and hopefully, it will help my watercolor skills.

robertsloan2
01-05-2015, 10:09 PM
I signed up for the 30 Paintings in 30 Days challenge, because getting in one extra painting by the end of the month to make up for missing the 3d is possible. I just need to do two paintings one of these days. Or get a bit ahead doing it more than once. I wanted something to stay on track with daily painting and this is it - so I'll be getting really dusty. My theme for it is that it'll all be pastels even if some are just quick sketches.

Today did the Spotlight! I didn't like it at first but when I saw it in thumbnail I warmed to it. A lot of the loose paintings I feel that way, at first it's awful and then if I pull back it's not bad at all.

I think getting four out of five as a start means I might be able to pull that off. If I don't, I'll get closer than if I hadn't.

Jim, yeah, that's a bit trippy about the news. I quit watching news on television a decade ago because it got too narrow, too short on information and high on shock drama. For a while I got into newspapers but the Internet's easier to read now, for various logistic reasons. As for the world going bankrupt, that just floors me sometimes. There has to come a point people just don't put up with it any more. There's been too much fraud and white collar crime going into all that.

robertsloan2
01-06-2015, 12:22 AM
Yay, just caught up on 30 in 30 if I count watercolors as well as pastels. So much for sticking to a theme. "And The Next Sketch Is..." challenge had primary colors and so I painted Ari in primary colors. Got my cat sketch in for the day. Back to this year's Cat Study too. I really need to start sketching him in motion, just do it, even if he doesn't hold the pose that long.

Mettaphorica
01-06-2015, 04:59 AM
I would like to sign up for the goal post but am unsure of whether my goal is realistic. Just before Xmas I collected in a folder a photo of all the paintings I'd done for the year, mostly in pastel, and I worked out that, barring failures (and there were a few this year; prior to this year I had not ever given up on a piece) I did around 16 pieces of work.
That amounts to a bit more than 1 per month (it was probably a bit more, I had a few failures that weren't completed).
So based on that, I wanted to up my out put to 2 paintings per month.

But I don't know if I'm being realistic and setting myself up for failure, so I value other's imput on this, and goal setting.

Do I have the time to produce two per month? At the moment, yes, I don't have a regular job, so if I did nothing but paint, that would be fairly easy. At the moment I paint around 2 hours a day, although I have also become addicted to knitting, and the two sometimes compete!

A small chunk of my time is currently spent doing self-paced training in order to increase my skills for a 'regular' job. I lost mine nearly 2 years ago, and since moved to a rural area and it is harder to get work.

In order to paint more, and hit that goal, I would probably have to reduce or eliminate some of the training. This is a highly attractive prospect, and probably many artist's dream; to be able to paint and nothing else. I am in the position where I can do this if I truly want to, as my partner is happy if I just want to pursue art, yet a part of me has tried to keep my skills up because as we all know, most artists don't make it their day job. And so my survival side says to keep going with the training, even if I don't have a job as yet.
I don't want to set the bar too high by opting for 2 paintings a month only to find that I don't achieve this, at the same time, I could easily do it if I focus on art and not much else. Thoughts?
cheers
Donna

Mij
01-06-2015, 12:49 PM
Hello Donna and welcome to the goal post. I am so unable to help in your dilemma. I would not like to influence you in any direction as it is such a personal thing and it depends on so many personal factors.

Peg, to have got started is a move in the right direction and it prompted me to a move as well – so there you go. Signing up for some classes is a good way to go as it does commit you to attending and doing some regular art. Good for you.

Robert , you have signed for the 30 Day Challenge. Well done, that'll keep your eyes to the paper. Yes invariably my work looks better from a distance, the farther away the better!:lol:

I took my sister to the train station so it's all over for another year. She has just rung to say she had arrived ok. Peg's mention of a Chinese Brush Class reminded me I have a Chinese Brush set here abouts some where. I was also reminded about it when leafing the the Magazine this month. So I might try that.
First I'd like to finish a couple of things that have been hanging around too long.
Crop Delilahs head from a classic copy of Alexandre Cabanel's Samson And Delilah. Paint it either in gouache or acrylic.
Do some more work on the large pastel that I started after I went to Blancathra on a painting break with Alan Goodall.
Try some Chinese painting following the info given in the magz.I will try to fit in all of the above but I do know I have taxi jobs awaiting/booked as SWMBO has appointments in other counties.
Jim

robertsloan2
01-06-2015, 05:39 PM
Donna, two paintings a month does sound realistic. If you succeed, you'll know that you can do it. It's just about the right range for a stretch. You might cut back on other activities or you might find yourself painting more decisively, finishing in less time. That's happened to me more than once.

Also don't discount painting as a regular job. The more you paint, the better you'll get and the easier it is to sell art online even living in a rural area. There are many different ways to sell art or earn money on art. I'm building up to being able to do that again so keep that in mind too and see what happens.

Of course your reasons for wanting a regular job may include more than money, if it got you out of the house and socializing more. That's all yours, you know what you're doing. I have done both but preferred living on art by a lot for numerous personal reasons - more than half of them have to do with disability though, so that's humbling. I'm just a bit more aware than most that it's a feasible occupation with many different possible careers.

In terms of structuring your time, there may be other time sinks involved that wouldn't pinch as much as cutting out your self paced training, your knitting or your other avocations. You're not even doubling your output.

Don't define how large the paintings are. If the second one is smaller it might be finished faster. But if you're leaving some paintings unfinished and abandoning others as not good enough instead of fixing them, you have some elbow room for "paint more decisively." There's several ways to look at this as a year-goal.

The Goal Post is more for monthly goals but if you set a goal for the year in January you can evaluate it again later in the year and modify it. If you try for two a month on average and get halfway there, you'll still be ahead of what you did with 18 for the year instead of 16.

So no, I don't think you're setting yourself up for failure at all. I think you're pacing yourself to be able to paint more and will be finding out what limits your production along the way.

One thing that might work if painting and knitting compete is to paint first. That's a shift in priorities that wouldn't cut knitting out but does get you painting during the day when you've got better visibility. Knitting often doesn't take as much concentration and sometimes can be done without even looking at it, by feel, so they're activities that probably don't take up the same type of time. If you paint during good painting time, knitting will come along and take up times when painting isn't practical, but if you knit first you could be sitting there in the evening still knitting and miss the chance to paint.

I'm currently still focusing on "sketch or paint daily" and this month with the 30 in 30 challenge trying to do a bit more than just a quick cat gesture. I got up early today and did a larger loose sketch of a humpback whale on reading a prompt in Animal & Wildlife, so I'm 6 for 6 now, all caught up on that challenge. But that's just this month. My goal for the year is looser but I'm still looking at finding out how much I can do and plan the business so I can get back to selling art.

You've made me think, too, about annual goal setting. I get frustrated by it every year, it seems as if New Year's comes along at exactly the worst time for me to plan anything for the year. Today as I'm sitting here fighting the weather and could paint a second time today but might not be up to it, maybe that's not too far off. Just because something works well for lots of other people doesn't always mean it works for me.

New Year's does come at exactly the worst time of year for me to plan anything. I get sick from the winter weather and am not up to doing anything. I don't even feel like I want to do anything but crawl back into bed usually, that's not a great state of mind to plan for the year. I'm liable to underestimate what I can do during the good seasons ahead when I'm fighting weather related debility. It happens every year. I know it. I've lived here three years now and that's enough to get a feel for what I can do when. Last September and October I did loads of pastels, 14 or so, more than that one month, all by stepping up my focus on pastels and making an effort to stick to the daily art. It made a huge difference deciding what the day's goal was, to how much pastel painting I did.

But that's not how it works in winter, where I'm lucky to get a good hour or two in the day and need to work fast even if I am going to do something. That pressure has been good for my art in its own way, making it looser and more concise, more poetic and less expository. Goal setting helped a lot.

The main thing is, don't worry about whether that's too much. See how it goes month to month, what helps and what interferes. From your description it sounds very doable and may only be a matter of a priority shift. Especially with the knitting thing it could be as simple as which you do first on a given day when the lighting's good.

And if you don't do it on a given month, you'll understand why. It could be that you need that much planning and rumination time to do a good painting. Some people are faster than others. The creative process is personal and unique. So this is a good goal and the thing to do now is test it rather than treat it as something huge and overwhelming. Try for it a month at a time and see what happens. You'll do more than if you didn't.

Jim, that sounds like a lot of fun! So cool you found the Chinese brush set. Very cool if you can get into that again, it does wonders for being able to paint loose and concise. That style of painting makes me focus on strokes and being able to paint fast but accurate, loose without losing what I set out to convey. I didn't even realize it affected my pastels till recently but it does.

Very cool goals and glad your holiday with your family went so well. Luck on all that driving around, maybe you can snap reference photos on the outings?

Mij
01-07-2015, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the encouragement Robert, I want to try them in the order that I listed them though. So first will be cropping Delilah's head from Alexandre Cabanel's Sampson And Delilah - well my graphite drawing of it. This has been hanging over my head (well behind a bookcase actually) since it was a 'copy the masters' subject some time in 2011 :lol:.
I'd appreciate your opinion on where to crop as the way I've done it results in a square format - isn't that a no no?
A btw is would anyone mind if I put the graphite crop here?
jim

robertsloan2
01-07-2015, 09:28 AM
No, go ahead and post the graphite crop. Especially if you want advice on where to crop it, that would be awesome. I'm curious about it now.

Mij
01-07-2015, 09:50 AM
No, go ahead and post the graphite crop. Especially if you want advice on where to crop it, that would be awesome. I'm curious about it now.
Thanks for coming back on that Robert. This was done in 2011 so I have improved since then - well I think so :lol:. I have tried to erase the grid I used outside of the image but left it inside. It will be painted over anyway.
You may also indicate whether I should use gouache or acrylic. I do lean toward the latter because it wont lift if I re-wet it.
Jim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2015/69634-Delilah_cropped_graphite_image_reduced_image.jpg

getdusty
01-07-2015, 08:20 PM
That looks great, Jim. I don't think square is a no-no.

robertsloan2
01-07-2015, 10:27 PM
Square would be cool, Jim. I love the way you captured every detail of her features in great proportion, she's lovely. Not sure what effect you want but if you're more comfortable with acrylics, go for the acrylics. The effects are a bit different. Gouache would let you go back with pastel accents at the end though, which acrylics generally won't as the surface isn't toothy enough.

Forgot to mention yesterday, day 6 was a pastel humpback whale from the RIL, and today was day 7, did Winsor & Newton Watercolour markers painting of a red bellied woodpecker by mollerman, who often posts gorgeous pastel landscapes too. I need to do more cats though, next time I go back to the RIL I should head right for the cats.

Mij
01-08-2015, 05:18 AM
Thanks Peg and Robert. If I get no naysayers then square it will be. With acrylic I can always get around the highlight spots with other things. It's just that errors are so easily remedied with out the under colour lifting at all.
I do intend practising in gouache this year but not as quick as needed for this painting.
I will try to follow Cabanel's colours for Delilah as closely as possible. This size will be better to fit on my wall if it is frameable when finished as I do not sell any of my work.

I like the whale cow and the woodpecker you did Robert. I liked your response about eating them as well :lol:. The cows that is :wave:.
jim

robertsloan2
01-08-2015, 09:07 AM
That sounds great and I'm looking forward to seeing the painting. When you post her, would you please link to this thread so all of us can find her? The sketch is lovely, so classical. I especially like her hand even more than her delicate features.

Purr thanks about my whale cow and woodpecker! Painted early today again with a rattlesnake in its hole, posted in Pastel Studio already. I'm loving this 30 in 30 challenge, it's got me going again with not one day missed so far and so many of them pastels. I'm also finding that gift sketchbook weirdly inspiring, I loosen up on it and just do sketch after sketch without worrying about whether they're perfect.

Mij
01-08-2015, 06:52 PM
Doug said:-
For $18 a month it is worth a try. He does insist on using Arches paper and certain watercolors.

I see what you mean Doug, and I could also do with that sort of tuition.

However I will stay focussed on Delilah and the large pastel I have unfinished before I look for him. Before I do the pastel I aught to finish the box. I do have the monthly w/shop with Joe Francis Dowden starting again in February. His is watercolour.
Perhaps you could tell us the paints Chris Berdoll uses as I have W&N and most of the SAA colours.
Jim

robertsloan2
01-09-2015, 02:13 AM
Oh yeah, forgot about your beautiful pastels box! I've been watching that project for so long, looking forward to seeing you finish it when you do.

I've got some W&N watercolors, never tried the SAA ones though. One of those cool UK brands. I tried some others and my favorites are Daniel Smith -got a bit over 70 of those, they keep getting me with the triads on sale - and the Yarka Professional set that I really like. But I still use pan watercolors more often than tube ones. Probably because I couldn't find or didn't replace my porcelain flower palettes. It's funny how something like that can make such a big difference. I don't like cleaning out the little plastic ones, they stain too easily, while the porcelain never stains. I should probably just replace the flower palettes, if I get the original ones later in a box it won't hurt to have extras.

Mij
01-09-2015, 08:17 PM
Jim said:-
I do have the monthly w/shop with Joe Francis Dowden starting again in February.

Ooooops. a week away it is Saturday the 17th.

Yes Robert, I have the box to finish as well :eek: :angel:.
Jim

robertsloan2
01-10-2015, 01:35 PM
Looking forward to seeing it! Sounds like the class is going to be great too.

Painted today for yesterday's daily, so I'm caught up now that I did Dave the Cat. I'm going to do another one from the WDE today too, I think. Lin has some really good photos up and there's several I really like.

robertsloan2
01-10-2015, 02:37 PM
And just did get caught up doing the macaw in Winsor & Newton watercolour markers. Love those. So dramatic and fast, it's great being able to sketch and wash. Easier than real watercolor with that delivery method, they're getting to be as much fun as the watercolor pencils for that.

getdusty
01-10-2015, 07:27 PM
Did the Chinese Brush Painting class today. Almost didn't make it. Went out to the garage to find a dead car with a dead battery. Luckily for me, my neighbor and his son came over, checked it out, took me to Sears and then installed the new battery and I made it to class (about an hour late) My car's timing was good for a change as the neighbors leave for FL tomorrow. he class was very enjoyable and it was a full day of art...on my way to meeting my goals.
Robert, quite the pace you're maintaining.
Jim, enjoy the workshop and I, too, am looking forward to seeing the completed box (no pressure :) )

Mij
01-10-2015, 10:11 PM
Hiya JudiB, how's it going. Done anymore thumbnails?:wave:

Donna, did you get enough info to help you make a decision? You haven't said and I do think of these things. Personally I would advise anyone to stick to their dayjob training. That usually carries the sickness benefit and occupational pension over here but I don't know that is so where you live/work.

Doug it sounds like you have a good course there and I wish I was free enough to also take some sessions with Chris Berdoll.

I'll do a catch up tomorrow on the macaw Robert. Yes I can imagine they are quick to use – virtually no prep at all.

Ok Peg on your car's battery. What a let down – but good neighbours came to your rescue. Are you going to let us see the results of the Chinese W/shop – no pressure........:lol: :angel:

I have to taxi SWMBO to an out of county appointment on Wednesday and we will have an overnight stay. That will be two days out of my month gone. She says she will take her Ipad so that I can keep in touch as the B&B has a wifi connection (It will keep me happy whilst the specialists make their assessment).
No painting and no box. Ah well, lets hope the rest of the month holds good.

The physiotherapist signed me off on Friday so time to look at the new compound bows :thumbsup:.
Jim

robertsloan2
01-12-2015, 12:47 PM
Jim, you've had a time of it with the battery and now the out of county appointment. I'd be taking along sketch materials for the waiting room and any dead time on something like that, but that's me since I don't leave the house without pocket watercolor kit and assorted pencils and pens and Conte in my vest with pockets. Then again you have the Ipad so you could always sketch digitally. I've got Sketchbook Mobile on my phone and done some fiddling in it, but seem to drift more to playing with physical pocket sketchbooks instead when I have to go to appointments.

Yesterday's daily painting was another watercolor marker one, smaller, a hummingbird on half a page in a large Moleskine. It's posted in my art journals thread Rob's 2015 Sketches (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1368958&page=3) and also in Water Media and Animals & Wildlife, because I did it for "And the next animal art is..." thread there to get "something with flowers."

Not a real good day for painting though, I vaguely wanted to do a pastel as well but my body energy bottomed out a bit after noon and I spent most of the day and night sleeping like my cat. Up at 4am today to talk to my daughter on the phone for a couple of hours while she did her farm chores - this is a habit I'm falling into because she likes hanging out with me while milking the goats and feeding chickens, horses and assorted critters, then while driving out to the day's farrier appointments. It results in going to bed stupid early sometimes though. 1pm for crashing is pretty extreme.

I hate winter for shortening my days, the weather makes it hard to do anything large. But I am still keeping the pace with the 30 in 30 challenge. Those markers are a big help with it. I'd probably be using watercolor pencils if I didn't have them, or pen and wash. Or the Pitt Artist Pens, because those worked well for bold easily photographed fast sketching. But these markers wash out into soft washes so I have the choice of strong dark marks or soft washes that partly dissolve them. It's like they are one stage past the Pitt Artist Pens that way.

I've also been watching a lot of nature documentaries on Netflix to get myself going. Sometimes re-watching familiar ones. It became a habit decades ago that if I'm writing fiction I listen to music, if I'm painting I put videos on, especially nature videos.

I glance up every now and then but just listen to the familiar narration sometimes. I look up during the best bits like raptors or big cats and may scroll back to get the big cat in full if I hear one mentioned.

The narrator says something about a leopard, yes, I have to scroll back to get the full leopard bit. Then I focus completely on the art during the entire sequence where they talk about millions of roaches living in the bat guano, but looked at the pretty cave formations. That's really what the narration is best for, telling me when to look up and when to ignore it.

Also that's another reason why I like doing so with documentaries I've seen before. I really don't care about what the bugs look like and there are always a significant number of bug sequences. Yawn, more army ants eating grasshoppers. Cool, falcon diving.

I used to tape documentaries on my VCR during Big Cats Week and had one cat who watched them and had his own opinion. He thought I did that for him so that he could watch the special kitten training hunt videos. I watched him following a repeated sequence - the narrator repeated it twice - of a leopardess hunting an antelope. He was down on the floor carefully moving with the leopard as if he was imagining a squirrel sized antelope.

A week later I taped one about peregrine falcons. The second time I played it, that cat got up onto the top of the highest cabinets and did a perfect power dive landing precisely on a quarter inch bug in the middle of the room. He was serious about his hunting videos.

Ari prefers cartoons like Simon's Cat and does sometimes enact them, also likes all the cute-cat YouTube videos. He's less into hunting and more into being an urban kitty and service cat.

Mij
01-12-2015, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the link, I did see your macaw Robert. Very colourful. Also in good proportion as well. I saw your crows and the hummingbird. All very good, quite a dab hand at the birds as well as Ari.

It was Peg who had car battery problems not me.

I'll be using SWMBO's Renault (with the hoist to take her power chair) for the out of county appointment. Yes I will put my outdoor sketching bag (plus my new tripod/board) in SWMBO's car so that I can use that. The ipad's battery wont last very long will it. It looks as if I'll have to be swanning off to the shops tomorrow so that'll be another day gone.
Jim

Mij
01-14-2015, 04:02 PM
we got here with an hour to spare. I hope all the goals are on schedule as mine are not. Also I have just found out that we need to do another trip here in a few weeks time. I reckon that a 13:00 or 14:00 appointment would allow us to make it a one day trip; no over night stop.
Jim
PS I hope this goes ok as it is the first time using this Ipad in a B&B.

keepingpure
01-14-2015, 04:45 PM
Hello everyone!:clap:

Wow! It has seemed like years, but has only been about six since I was last on here. It's going to take me forever to catch up with everyone!

As I mentioned before I "left" I was moving and possibly going to college. I did both and have actually already finished a semester. I changed my original major and am now majoring in art. (Big surprise, no?) :lol:

I decided to put my pastels up for the fall semester and really focus on drawing. I learned SO much about placement, proportion and point-scale I can already see how much it is affecting everything I do art-wise. While I was working with charcoal, I cannot wait to get back into my passion, and now that the last semester is over, I'm pulling them out again.

My goals for January (On top of all my school work):rolleyes: :
-Start with a small pastel painting to get back into the feel of the pastels again.
-Break in my new pastel pencil set that I got last year, but have been to busy to use!
-Make a plan and schedule for pastel work to go with my college schedule.

I know it's not pastel, but this is just to show you how much I learned last semester, and how I anticipate the same techniques starting to show in my pastel paintings.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2015/1455022-10845932_1510132529249906_6781380380438279325_n.jpg
Please note: I didn't get a picture of it completely finished, but it gives you an idea at least.

Mij
01-15-2015, 04:17 AM
Hello everyone!:clap
-Make a plan and schedule for pastel work to go with my college schedule.

Please note: I didn't get a picture of it completely finished, but it gives you an idea at least.

Wow, some serious planning and organisation there Keeping pure I hope it all goes to plan, it sounds exciting.

It is 08:00 or just gone so have a cuppa brewing and then the other B part of the day. Then drive home.
These Ipads have there uses:angel: .
CUL(see you later)
Jim

robertsloan2
01-15-2015, 10:37 AM
Oh congratulations, KeepingPure! That rocks. I don't think it'll take much for you to go from charcoal back to pastels, the texture is similar and any good charcoal drawing is a great value preliminary to a pastel painting.

Yay Jim! It rocks that you got your sketch on and bring your supplies on these trips. That's so cool. Sounds like life keeps biting your painting time though.

I've had it a lot worse. The 13th did nothing. Yesterday nothing. Ow ow ow. Yesterday was really bad, the first time in months that going to my clinic appointment I didn't do at least a little thumbnail in the waiting room. I was so sick that I shouldn't even have gone out, but knew I needed the treatment. Net result after I got my shot, enough energy to make it back home and just pass out. Woke up at pain level 9 (involuntary tears) and zombied through the day and the trip on full pain medications but still at pain 8 significant cognitive impairments, could not make sense or control my emotions. Of course that was when I bumped into my doctor who had forgotten everything about my needs and wanted to wean me off my pain medication into alternatives and have me come in four times a year and start beta testing alternate medication. ACK no no alternitives just deal with the crew not answering faxes and doing refills and i'm fine this is the same chronic issues and the same usable treatments that actually help. Do not even think of signing me up as a beta tester.

I might want to wait on the medical marijuana till I'm on old-age social security where I can afford it. Safer and milder but out of pocket and no way to expand my income. Yet once in that happy condition, selling art could pay for it and buy me painting time on marginal days. Ditto chiropracty. Massage therapy might help but I would have to test that and find out if the exertion of going out to get it eliminates the gains it gives me. My back went off something nightmare yesterday and so did bad hip. Leading to two days no art and not feeling that great today, but, still early and might get more rest and feel better later.

So much for 30 in 30, my body tends to defeat me. But if I get a good day I still have some chance of catching up, especially if I manage to do something today. At least I have two weeks now before I have to go out and yesterday wasn't that cold, though something in the pressure from the change to warmer knocked me over huge. It's the cold but it's also changing back and forth that really plays hob with how well I can function.

blr2449
01-15-2015, 08:10 PM
Robert, I hope the weather stabilizes soon for you. My husband has a problem like that with his back and one hip, nothing yours' but enough so that the weather affects it a lot. Are you better in the warm, dry air? I see that San Fran is still in the 50s/60s so it's probably a bit chilly out there. To me it sounds downright tropical. :lol:

My goal is to be able to find more time for artistic opportunities. I work full-time....16 months till I can retire. When you get that close every day is torture. By the time Work is done, cats fed, supper made, cleanup done, all I want to do is sleep. LOL I think it will be better when it warms up and it stays lighter longer. :crossfingers:

Mij
01-15-2015, 09:35 PM
Hello everyone. I am back home again and have been for most of the day.

I like the charcoal composition Rebecca. It looks very professional. I like the different values you have managed with just the charcoal and paper. The folds in the backcloth look realistic as does the highlight in the glass. Your pseudonym rings a bell or two here perhaps I was lurking or was I posting then as well..... time does fly when you are enjoying your self :wave:.

Robert, I got little time to sketch/draw as it was dark'ish when we got there and we came away just after brekkers this morning. I did get a photo so perhaps I could get some practice with that. I am with you on the OAP and being able to sell your art to enable an unorthodox pain killer. SWMBO tried the chocolate with the painkiller in it but it gave her a headaches. She got it online :clear:. I am sorry to hear that you was effectively knocked out by your health issues these past few days. It must be devastating and debilitating to be in so much pain all the time. I hope it dwindles somewhat so you can have a few days pain free.

Hello Barbara and welcome. I am sorry to hear that your husband has trouble with his hip and back. Again it makes life such a misery and not the 'O be joyful' that we should all be experiencing. Only 16 months to retirement, you will wonder how you found the time to go to work :lol::clap:. In the meantime perhaps you'll be able to squeeze in some art time :crossfingers:.

Looking back at my time (retired early at 54 Yearsof age in 1996 - thank you Mrs Thatcher) I just did what bubbled to the top. I have had a whale of a time doing all those things I did not have time for whilst working. That is what I want to do or what needs doing next. Everything else is put further down the pile :lol:.
I also am a full-time carer for SWMBO as she has MS. She does like to retain some independence so she has a car with an electric hoist to lift her powerchair so she can get about if pain and balance allows her to drive.
Jim

robertsloan2
01-16-2015, 10:00 AM
Barbara, yeah, that must be so frustrating getting that close. It's how I feel getting close to old age Social Security where the rules are looser and I'd have to be actually rich to lose it. Hang on, you've got a good thing coming. I can so understand not having the energy for anything else after work. That's sometimes how I think of the sick days - that's my day job as disabled scheduling its own hours.

Jim, wow yeah. Unfortunately I don't ever get pain free days. There are less pain days that are tolerable, but a pain free hour on a good day is ecstatic, unbelievable, reason to jump up and do something crazy like paint in oils or cut lots of extra mats or go outside on purpose without an appointment. I have to rate the pain by how impaired I am because I ignore it, and pain free time is this exquisite physical pleasure. It happens but an entire day of it only happened on a drug that's been discontinued for causing heart attacks in people who had no history one in ten people. A lot of things would have to add up -go to a chiropractor on a Good Day and it will happen during and right after the treatment. What I have all the time though, it's tolerable by being what I'm used to. Days like the past three days are not.

Ugh, warm dry air doesn't do me good, it sets me off in other ways. I can't take aridity at all. It has to be warm and moist, why I'm better off here than any "healthful" desert.

Yesterday I slept 20 hours and made a few posts. Today I managed a life painting of my cat in watercolor markers. Slightly larger than the usual cat gesture but still smack in the middle of my comfort zone.

robertsloan2
01-16-2015, 02:28 PM
Yay, more progress, did a page of Ari sketches so down to only two days that need making up for. I might even get to another of them today. This would be good. Warming up to that.

blr2449
01-16-2015, 04:59 PM
mij Iwonder now how I find the time & energy to go to work :lol: I could have retired at 62 but wanted to wait till 66 when I can work as much as I want to and still collect full Social Security without penalty. Need to pay off bills, paint and renovate the old house while I'm still working.

Robert I'm glad you're better. I hope you have a long respite from the aches and pains. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your sketches.

Thank Goodness it's Friday! Maybe I can squeeze in some time to paint. Still figuring out how to do the Henri Rochι pastel sticks in a china bowl. And I've missed my oil painting. Gettin' itchy to wield the brushes again. :)

robertsloan2
01-17-2015, 02:56 AM
Oh that is so cool. I remember that photo and it will be a spectacular painting!

Yeah, 20 hours of sleep did a lot for me. Though I still went back to bed in the middle of the day for an extra sleep, I got up and did a third piece for the day - fast monochrome W&N marker painting of some flat top coral laid out in an abstract pattern. My experiment of sketching while watching a documentary paid off, I got the anatomy of the animals without actually drawing from the reference so it doesn't violate copyright. I defy anyone to tell what underwater documentary I got it from, considering I even changed the angle of view to looking straight down at it rather than from the angle the camera was at.

Mij
01-17-2015, 07:29 PM
Hi there Rebecca, I have my thinking head on today. Can't you devise some goals which will fulfill those of your school ones as well? Perhaps they do not coincide anywhere.

Hi there Barbara. I hear what you are saying. Yes do it asap because age brings along uninvited guests that limit what you can do. I am limited to art and archery :lol: oh and caring for SWMBO.

So a good sleep put you at the art paper again Robert. Well done, that is some goal though 30 images in as many days.

I had my w/shop with JFD today but I do need to practise watercolour more. I ommited to stretch the paper as well, The usual cockling resulted as I'd left my crocodlile clips at home. The masking tape used to keep a clean margin did not allow the edges of the paper to expand when water was used so profusely.
jim

robertsloan2
01-17-2015, 10:28 PM
Oh right, that's why watercolorists stretchh the paper. Makes sense now. I never really paint with that kind of soaking first, so no wonder I got away with never stretching it. Sounds frustrating.

Today went great. Did my Spotlight again as planned, and even if I didn't do two paintings today the one I got was a breakthrough. Bird in a landscape. Not bird or landscape, in it. That was a goal of mine for some time now. I used to try once in a while but rarely was happy with the results. This time it worked and I love it. Who knows what's next?

keepingpure
01-19-2015, 09:57 PM
My! I'm having such a good time sitting back and "listening" I'm forgetting to say anything! :-D

I hope you got to get into your art, Barbara. I found it can be tough to get into, but once you're in it's easy to keep going!

Wow, such a life of drama Robert, but I'm so glad you are getting some things accomplished. I hope your health keeps improving, as well as your art goals! ;-D

Thanks for the compliments and suggestion Jim! I had fits with that background! :-D I'm not sure if I'll be able to meet my goals this month, but Lord willing I'll be able to do so next month. But there is still some time left to January, and we'll see what happens. My other two classes start this week, so after this week I'll really be able to figure out what kind of time I'll have. Maybe juggling pastels with 21 hours of classes isn't the best idea in the world.... :-D Later in the semester we will be using pastels, and even later we get to choose our medium, so I should be able to coincide classes with art goals quite a bit then.

robertsloan2
01-20-2015, 06:55 AM
Oh that sounds great, keepingpure! If you can't make your goals, you'll know why. That's the big thing. Yay for your classes and especially when you'll get to use pastel for class projects.

I painted yesterday in the big cheap sketchbook and filled a page with a tolerable bright blue fish. It's going. Tonight is my big deal going out to see the exhibition I'm in, Vantage Points, and meet some other artists. Also get a lecture on art from an art museum curator who's going to speak on four of the artists represented. Part of my mind says that curator probably has them all picked out from being already local professionals and famous and most of all that they'll probably be nonobjective abstract artists. Part of me is desperately hoping she picks me out as an example Impressionist.

I have no idea what my odds are on that. They're not political and not abstract but I paint a whole lot better than I ever have in my life. What they really aren't is Modern Art though.

It's also the reveal day for the A&W challenge Fur, Scales and Feathers, so my subject for today's painting is already picked out. The fluffy calico cat. I'll probably do her face large since I don't feel like doing the white wicker chair she's sitting in. But I have a lot to do today. Home Care comes at one and then at five I go down to get on the van. I'd like to paint and post the painting before my hom care guy comes, but also need to have enough rest to be awake during the evening between six and seven thirty for the event.

I will try to get photos of the exhibition. I have no idea what the other artists in it did, only that the one picked out to put on the ads for it was a non objective abstract. Which might be because that worked best under type, but may mean most of them are non objective abstracts and I stand out like "what doesn't match the others?" - I will laugh if that's the case, but still glad I put those paintings in. Will find out tonight if it's that or if half the people in it are profoundly good pastel and oil Impressionists that make mine look like cute little studies.

Mij
01-20-2015, 08:36 AM
Hi Robert. It matters not how much the paper is soaked but it does if some is and some not. I usually soak all the paper if I want a soft edge around a colour and then all of the paper expands and I just allow it to, and move the crocodile clips I use along to allow for that. Joe uses staples to stretch his paper then masking tape to give a clean edge – a very professional finish. If I use just masking tape to fix the paper to the board the dry (beneath the masking tape) makes the paper cockle. I have ordered a stapler and staples. I find it best to use the same technique as the instructing artist. Just make sure the board is thicker than the staples are long.

Rebecca, I'd have thought I could have made any school goals art goals for this purpose, unless you want to do entirely different goals on wet canvas. It sounds as if you do.
My! I'm having such a good time sitting back and "listening" I'm forgetting to say anything! :-D
:lol: I do hope it is a little bit amusing, it helps to enjoy the process :lol:.

Barbara, yes things get harder to do with age but it sure beats the alternative. The 16 months will probably fly by if you don't watch the clock.......somebody has as their signature that life is like a roll of toilet paper, it goes faster towards the end :lol:.

I was taxi-ing yesterday as SWMBO had a surgery appointment, pharmacy pick up (her powerchair wont make the step), and some shopping to do. The rest of my time was taken with domestic duties. Ah well there is next month - all being well :confused:.
Jim

blr2449
01-20-2015, 09:53 AM
Robert~~~I'm looking forward to your thoughts and pictures
of the exhibit. I do hope they spotlight you. Have a wonderful
time. :cat:

Barbara

blr2449
01-20-2015, 02:48 PM
life is like a roll of toilet paper, it goes faster towards the end
Jim

I LOVE this. And oh, how true

robertsloan2
01-21-2015, 12:49 AM
I didn't get spotlighted but seeing who and what did, was not surprised - the artists who did she had a really interesting presentation about each of them and all were a bit closer on theme than I was. Also I found out that my crazy wild colored Impressionist pieces seemed very soft and gentle compared to the sheer overwhelming drama of everything in the show. Massive color saturation, strong light and dark contrasts, my three little Impressionist pieces looked soft and pretty and had no topical political content as many cool ones did. I liked it, enjoyed it, and yeah saw how easily my stuff got overpowered in that context. Everything was loud rock and roll while I tinkled on a lute, was the feeling - not that I was ashamed of mine and people liked them, but they were not the big attention getters.

I did get pictures but haven't sorted them yet. Am now dead tired. Did get home care and bathe before going, so went out on the same day as a bath, so wiped out completely. I even needed a nap before going. Home carer thoughtfully let me sleep and woke me after an hour.

The nice thing was that mine hung in very good light with a good placement. There were other representational artists, the whole show was extremely eclectic, most of it wasn't pure abstract. I also drank a glass of wine. Amazing that I am still conscious, considering how tired I was going in and how much rambling around on the walker I did looking at the whole show. Met a wonderful 90 year old professor who was charming and funny and sweet, hung out with him a lot. Felt very young hanging out with him, he'd done some amazing things in his life.

Also managed to paint the A&W challenge kitty before going, in those wonderful Winsor Newton markers. Didn't finish posting her anywhere else but now I have and she's up on the challenge post. All three of the day's goals done. Time to fold up and get some sleep.

Judibelle
01-21-2015, 01:16 PM
Sorry you didn't get spotlighted, Rob, but glad it was a rewarding show!
Jim...I feel your weariness from all the taxi-ing....I no longer do it...now we call a cabulance when dH has to go out.
Lovely charcoal drawing, KP (rebecca).

I FInally got down to start a Spotlight painting....I'm liking it so far, but have a good ways to go. anyway, sure feels good to hold those pastels again!

Norma46
01-21-2015, 01:23 PM
Hello all. I've not been in WC for weeks! I purchased a winter place in Florida, arrived on Christmas day and have been working to get the place cleaned, updated. The end is in sight. I have a newly "constructed" alcove to work in and hope to have some paintings started soon!

blr2449
01-21-2015, 03:03 PM
Rob, it's too bad your paintings didn't get spotlighted. At least you have a good idea why and just having them there in good light let others see them, too. You never know what may come of it. I *am* glad you found someone to chat with. He sounds delightful.

robertsloan2
01-22-2015, 12:49 AM
Norma, congratulations! That sounds wonderful. Glad to see you here!

Barbara, I think I made a good entrance. I know now what they're looking for and what that museum likes. I also know where I'm going with my art and where that'd intersect. For what she was trying to talk about in the lecture, mine would not have been a good example - and with a big crowd of people, they were quite small for everyone to see anyway. Most of her examples were very large and the one that wasn't was actually a video animation on a flat screen like laptop size - very amazing, each scene the artist drew over and over and erased the previous drawing so the ghosts of previous drawings were there as grayed trails. That was something that really needed a discussion while mine were pretty simple.

Did today's daily art despite being totally unmotivated today. So wiped out from going out I had a hard time even thinking of doing anything. I spent most of the day sleeping but finally was up to doing something with watercolor markers.

Dougwas
01-22-2015, 11:07 PM
I promised myself that I would keep in touch here, but it just hasn't happened.:o After painting during the day I usually just crash in the evening and rest up for the next day. As for my goals, I have worked on my course for more than three hours a day. Some days if my back cooperates, I paint in the morning and afternoon. I am enjoying watercolors so much my other goal of using other mediums has taken a back seat. Oh well. Painting is painting.

Your show sounded very interesting, Robert, and it sounded like you had a good time. We have to get out once in a while. I hope you get more opportunities.

Doug

robertsloan2
01-22-2015, 11:52 PM
Purr thanks, Doug! So glad to see you again. Missed you!

Today was another near-wipeout. I started an ambitious 8" x 10" pastel painting with Roche' pastels to test the metallics, but haven't gotten to adding them yet. Will be doing so soon though! Tomorrow. Meanwhile posted a page of cat gestures I had done earlier, have one side of another cats double spread done but will post that. So I did daily art and posted similar daily art. SHe did say it didn't matter what day it was done. This fishes thing will take more than one day, maybe even more than two.

It's going to be cool though, I'm optimistic about it. Hate the paper though now and wish I'd used Pastelmat.

robertsloan2
01-23-2015, 10:57 PM
Well, today finished the Silver Fish, which did not get as layered as I'd thought because the paper fought me. Then did a couple of pages of cat sketching. So I'm doing pretty good. Especially for a day when I was still wiping out and getting sick from weather.

robertsloan2
01-24-2015, 04:36 PM
Yay, painted early today with a little shark swimming toward you over a coral reef, then did a full page of sketches in Tombow markers on letter size sketchbook with a really good sleeping Ari from life. Now attending Johannes Class waiting for him to return, Livestream dropped him. Yay he's back!

Judibelle
01-24-2015, 07:27 PM
Hope the class went well, Rob. It's annoying when the connections don't work!

Doug...good to see you back...I miss you, too. Glad you are enjoying the watercolors...keep on keeping on!

I spent the afternoon watching videos from Mazuma Productions , .and Artist Network and got a lot of pointers. Hoping to get back to the Spotlight I started the other day, and apply some of the 'touches' that so differ from what I'm used to...

robertsloan2
01-25-2015, 01:15 PM
Oh that sounds like so much fun! So tempted to subscribe again to ArtistsNetworkTV... used to love that. Hmm. Not February but maybe later on... got to balance that with possible supply orders...

Painted already today! And cleaned all my Terry Ludwig pastels after painting, so now I can tell what colors they are next time I use them. Love the colors. Definitely got the pastel itch today. May do some sketching later on too.

robertsloan2
01-26-2015, 11:20 PM
Painted again today, after cleaning all 120 of my Unison half sticks. The set is all bright and lovely again. I used those and Rembrandts and Roche' Metallic to do three holiday ornaments in my pastel journal. One more day in the 30 in 30 challenge. Hope I can keep painting. Today was a bit slower and less energetic than when I did those fruits, hope I can have another high energy day.

Dougwas
01-27-2015, 12:41 PM
Judi- Thanks for the welcome back.:) Watching art videos is a great motivator. I know I always get ideas when watching them and it gets the creative juices flowing. Have fun!

Robert- Cleaning pastels is a pain, but the payoff is worth it. All those clean babies looking at you and all ready to get dirty again. :lol: It is great to see you painting or drawing daily.

I have been busy on the course. The past two days I have painted way more than three hours a day. The more I learn, the more I get into the zone and forget about pain. I love that feeling! Today there won't be any painting. My two daughters and I are going on a field trip to the art store. It is an hour and a have drive there, but it is the closest art store to us and they have a great selection. Fun stuff! I better get going.

Have fun being creative!

Doug

robertsloan2
01-27-2015, 02:45 PM
Doug, that sounds like so much fun! Be sure to post photos of your new swag in the Scumble. Nothing like "Art supply addiction by proxy" after all!

Oh man, I got those Metallic Henri Roche' pastels everywhere, even on my Kindle. But I got up early this morning, had my coffee and three hours of Waking Up Time, then got out the Uart 400 for my last test on them. Whoohoo! Painted with the rich and messy wonderful pastels. Debating getting a half stick set of them next month or saving up for ArtistsNetworkTV because I miss having those videos all the time. Or just spend the extra money to subscribe monthly even if that would cost more over the year. It'd get it for me now if I did though.

Too tempting. Lot of fun either way. Time to decide later. Heck, if I pass on next month I'll have a better budget in March.

Judibelle
01-27-2015, 03:14 PM
Doug...so glad to hear you are painting! I'm getting back, slowly but surely...
Rob..Happy to hear you are having a Good Day today....Loved your latest Lesson on Facebook...

getdusty
01-27-2015, 03:18 PM
Robert, sounds like you're doing quite well in your 30 in 30. Glad you're enjoying the Roches. I have the artist network subscription...waited for a sale and got a reduced price (which I thought would only be for the first month, but has continued...a "win" for me)
Judi, I love watching the videos, too, and I've been doing that. Just saw Alain Picard's on light wherein he does an apple still life. Really have to work at not doing so much blending.
Doug, nice to hear from you and that you're enjoying your classes. I haven't been to a watercolor class in several weeks...family stuff (mine) family stuff (instructor's) and snow/ice. Hopefully I can get back into that routine soon. I have been quite faithful to my pastel classes, though, even picking up an extra one here and there to make up for the lack of watercolor classes.

blr2449
01-27-2015, 03:47 PM
Rob..Loved your latest Lesson on Facebook...

I did, too. Now I want the TL Sunset set. :lol:

Judibelle
01-27-2015, 05:01 PM
hi Peg...yes, that is Sunset set is very tempting!

robertsloan2
01-27-2015, 05:59 PM
Peg, that is so great. I'm very tempted, it would mean not getting the Roche' half sticks next month but I do have a lot of other pastels to play with and could either set aside money toward a Paris Collection later or just get some more paper and things. Maybe monthly wouldn't be too bad, it's not that huge a thing. It would be trying to pay annually though.

Purr Judi! So glad you liked it! I've been neglecting those blogs and have got another product review to do soon - got the other sample of Pastel Premier paper to test and need to find just the right subject for it.

Hee hee, Barbara! I love mine, yes, it's worth it, so worth it. I love those rich colors and the value-hue arrangement is so elegant.

Mij
01-28-2015, 07:34 AM
Hi there Judi. Watching art videos is good and artist network similar. I hope you managed to get back to the spotlight :wink2:.

Hello Doug, Nice to hear from you and glad the watercolour is working out for you. A field trip to an art shop sounds dreamy, Christmas all over again! Sounds like your goals are intact :D.

Hello Peg, so stuff has kept you from the WC classes as well as the weather but has enabled you to pick up the odd pastel class. Good for you :thumbsup:.

Robert, you have done well this month, all that art! And it has been so good as well. I am glad you enjoyed putting your art out there, and your realization that it was smaller then the others. I am sorry to have to miss your FB art lesson but we have voted to give any social media a miss at this addy :clear:.

Barbara, nice to hear from you. And just think that you are almost a month closer to retiring :wave:.

Rebecca, I hope all goes well on your course work. That is so important. I hope you reach the goals you have in mind :).

I have not met any goals this month. I just pace myself and do whatever I can. This month in between 'carering/taxiing' I have just goofed off watching past proggies on youtube. I did try tacking down a carpet protector for my 'wheeled computer chair' but the staples were not long enough and will have to hammer in longer 'tacks'. The nail variety :lol:.
Jim.

robertsloan2
01-28-2015, 10:06 AM
Oh Jim, my art lesson is on my blog, not on Facebook. I linked it to Facebook so people could find it but it's actually just there on Rob's Art Lessons in my signature. Anyone on WC could find it easily. Bottom row first link on the left. You don't have to use Facebook to find my blogs except the Art Supply Reviews and I link that one to my other two so people can get them all by finding one.

I think it's even set up so people can subscribe to them, though right when I get up and setup I fumbled through over a year ago is a bit hazy right now. lol. Daily Painting I've been so active on it that it probably hits their inbox nearly daily. I only missed a couple of days this month, which is usual for my really sticking to daily art. I went to a 6" square format for some of the paintings by noticing what some of the other daily painters do.

I haven't painted yet today but chances are I'll at least do a sketch. I'm up early so that bodes well for painting before I leave for my appointment, then as usual I'll get some photos and maybe sketches in at it.

Mettaphorica
01-29-2015, 06:17 AM
Well, I achieved my goal for January, got two paintings done...actually more like 2 plus 2 almost finished, but the 2 almost finisheds are CPs and I started them a long time ago. But here's my goal complete for January! I have already posted the first one, "Little Sir Echo", complete in his own thread. I started and finished this in January. The second one, LOng-haired Dachsund, I actually started in December, but forced myself to work on to make it one of January's. I have already started on a painting for Feb...but that's yet to be posted...the goals idea is good, I'm glad I got into it, I've never committed to it here before, so glad that I did, it helped keep me focused for what has been a tumultuous month. Thanks to you Robert for being the mod, it was nice knowing you are around, and I do read your painting a day emails! blessings to you all,
Donna

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2015/979263-IMG_4647.WEB.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2015/979263-IMG_4653WEB.jpg

Mij
01-29-2015, 10:01 AM
Oh well done Donna, those are great. You have been resolved in completing some paintings. I like both and it is immaterial when they were started, they are now finished. They are fine as they are. :thumbsup:
Jim

robertsloan2
01-29-2015, 11:03 AM
Donna, these are both so beautiful. You have a wonderful style for animals, even if it takes a long time to finish it's worth the wait! Well done! I like the background on the dog, it's very graceful and lively, cool texture!

If your style is slow and it takes numerous sessions to finish a painting, it's still glorious and well worth the time. So cool you're planning a new one. I can't wait till you do a cat of course.

No painting yet today but I am in a more painting-ish mood than yesterday, so I will hopefully get dusty in a bit. Just need to warm up some.

getdusty
01-29-2015, 08:18 PM
Donna, great paintings. Love "Sir's" eyes.

Dougwas
01-29-2015, 11:26 PM
Robert- I hope you got dusty today. You seem to be doing a lot of painting lately. Good to see. There really isn't much to see from my shopping trip, just three tubes of watercolors and ten sheets of Arches CP paper. Not as exciting as buying new pastels.

Peg- Missing watercolor classes but adding pastel classes sounds like a fair trade. As long as you are finding time for yourself and being creative. That's the main thing.:)

Jim- Next month is just around the corner, so you can start fresh. I know it takes time and energy to be a care giver. You will get back at it before you know it.:thumbsup:

Donna- Wonderful paintings! Congratulations on making your goals!

The shopping trip was quite tame. Three tubes of paint and ten sheets of wc paper. That should keep me supplied for a while. Nice thing about watercolor paper is you can use both sides. We are using 1/4 sheets and dividing them into two.

I have painted today and yesterday and plan on painting tomorrow and Saturday. Sunday is Super Bowl, so no painting that day. Might even have a beer or two.:evil:

I am very proud of my wife. She just received her MBA diploma!:clap: She has been taking courses for over ten years while working full time. She is now a MBA, CPA, CGA. :lol: That's a lot of letters. Anyway, I am proud of her. She set her goals and achieved them. Thought some of the people who go way back with me would like to know.

Take care everyone. Paint, paint, paint!

Doug

Judibelle
01-30-2015, 08:54 AM
Beautiful paintings, Donna! Love the expressions!

Doug...always good to hear from you. Glad your trip went well, and that you are painting regularly. (Super Sunday excluded...)
Congratulations to your wife...Yes, I remember when she started taking courses. A job well done!

Jim...not to worry...Feb. is right around the corner...
I haven't done any more, either. we were 'snowed in' for a couple of days, and my time was spent shoveling and sweeping....

robertsloan2
01-30-2015, 09:06 AM
Purr! It's been a good month after all - and yes, I got dusty yesterday, with a good detailed Lorikeet and then a Pan Pastels stormy sky landscape in my sketchbook, second in my Landscapes MI thread. However long it takes, I'm going to do fifty landscapes from memory or imagination and try to improve on my ability to design landscape paintings rather than just interpret photos. It's the next big step for me. Especially clouds. This is about skies and clouds. A clear sky simple gradient is something I've done for years but there are some kinds of clouds I have yet to get right. Others that I have in other media but would love to see in pastels.

Doug, that may not be new pastels but it can be fun! I just got six sheets of tinted Bockingford watercolor paper last month, so have lots to play with for tube watercolors and those new watercolor markers. Three tubes might be replacements or new pigments, the way watercolor goes even one new color expands everything by so much.

I have a huge collection of over 70 Daniel Smith tubes, plus a dozen or so little Winsor & Newton ones. They are loads of fun. I'm just nowhere near as good at that as I am with pastels, unless I use Pigma Micron pens with them. Which is fun and I'm expanding in that direction too, just more for myself and not for future career plans. Those are definitely Pastel Oriented.

getdusty
01-30-2015, 02:12 PM
Doug, congrats to your wife! I wasn't on here when she started her coursework, but what a great achievement. My older daughter got her B.S. while working full time and being a mother and my younger daughter is working on her BSN while working full time, so I know how difficult it is to juggle work, life and school. Again, a great big CONGRATS!!!!
and thank goodness a new month with a new shot at accomplishing my goals is right around the corner :)

robertsloan2
01-30-2015, 03:52 PM
Yay Peg! Heh, I know the feeling.

Just as I finished up 30 in 30 with my pastel Ari painting this morning, I got tagged on Facebook for another art challenge - this time 3 paintings a day for 5 days. Uh huh. Step up the pace to insane, hoping I don't get sick, when I am coming down with a cold anyway. But my friends pleaded so I jumped in and did it, they can always get three little 2" long Ari gestures if I'm not feeling good. And each count as its own drawing.

I made a good start with three pastel paintings today, albeit two of them simple fruit studies. But those look cool and I had fun giving one of them a gold background, playing with my Ludwig Sunsets and Basic set again.

I've got a runny nose and sore throat and sinus headache but I'm still on a pastels kick, still in love with the colorful dust. And my sketch wall got more colorful, fast!

Judibelle
01-30-2015, 05:44 PM
Oh Rob...so sorry you are not feeling well! Hope it passes quickly and isn't the dreaded FLU! and congrats on the new Facebook challenge...you can do it, you can do it, you can do it!

robertsloan2
01-30-2015, 07:32 PM
Purr thanks, Judi! Tomorrow's going to be really challenging with Johannes class in the morning. I might only have little quick sketches from life of random things in brush pens because class takes most of the day. That and cold is progressing. It's the sneezing runny nose sinus headache sort of one though, not the deep bronchitis leaning toward pneumonia or the flu. Hopefully it won't last long.

getdusty
01-31-2015, 05:09 PM
Rob, hope you feel better. If it's the same fb challenge I'm thinking of, they don't have to be new paintings. That would take some of the pressure off. :)

robertsloan2
01-31-2015, 11:07 PM
I know they don't, but I'm doing it as I took it because that makes it an actual challenge. I'd heard of it a bit earlier and thought "maybe I could do that if I got really focused." But yeah, they could just be posting three previous ones. I'll do that if I have a bad day. Or if I really, really want to show off my three cool entries to the Vantage Points Exhibition together, because they made a nice show together and look good together again hanging on my wall!

Still, two days in, I've kept up with my personal-challenge version. I just made it clear in my post that it's my personal challenge to try this. I would like to get to where I do more than one sketch in a day, especially. I've gotten it to where I can do daily art most days, as long as I define that to include two inch long gesture sketches of my cat. I would like to go a little farther - but I didn't insist they all be on separate pieces of paper or anything. Today's three were on one large sketchbook page.

I did well this month. I did the challenge, actually did more than 30 paintings and drawings since I made up for lost days and overdid the last two days. Then got the exhibition visited AND the art retrieved, rehung. I'm happy about January, it's a good start and I have my daily art habit back. Now to keep it! Oh and I had Spotlight on goals and did get that too.