PDA

View Full Version : interesting study on evening R&R

Cathy Morgan
10-04-2003, 12:41 PM
In a way, the results of this study are common sense - but then, I often need to be reminded of common sense.

Study on how rest & recreation in evening affects next morning's work (http://message.realage.com/HB/HBArticle.aspx?pid=1535&cid=14730)

The study reinforces a decision I made a few weeks ago to stop doing computer work late at night - either for clients or for myself. I've broken this rule a couple of times in my fervor to get going on ebay, but mostly I've followed it. And I'm sure it's helped me have psychic energy for studio work every morning.

Sometimes socializing drains my energy - I'm an introvert. Little hurts - psychic scratches, so to speak - bother me the following morning. Taking time to journal about these seems to relieve them - first aid. If writing doesn't work, free drawing helps. If I try to ignore these and just plunge into artwork, it doesn't seem to work as well.

Anyone else notice strong relationships between how they spend their evenings, and their ability to do artwork next morning? Or if you do your art in the afternoon or evening, how do you need to spend the time before?

melaleuca
10-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Cathy Morgan
Anyone else notice strong relationships between how they spend their evenings, and their ability to do artwork next morning? Or if you do your art in the afternoon or evening, how do you need to spend the time before?

Absolutely - I find many interactions "drain" me and spill into the next morning. This is not just art work for me Cathy but my other work too. So-- I've quit working at night, I stay away from the computer and the TV in the evenings, and I let the answering machine handle the calls (unless it's my mom - I love talking to her!!).

But it's been just 5 days since I started "being careful" about what I do. I'll have to try the 28 day thing :) to make it a habit.

acasto
10-04-2003, 09:12 PM
Evening.... what is that? :)

I usually wake up anytime between 12 noon and 6pm. Then I'll go to bed around 7am or so if I go to bed. Sometimes I'll just stay up a couple days. It's not work related or anything, I'm just screwed up in the head (bipolar). Although it does work with my work sometimes doing IT work requires me to slip in afterhours and pull some late nights on the servers.

I've tried the winding down before you go to bed thing, but I always end up failing at it. I'll try and read a book, but then stay up all night till I finish it. I'll just lay there and relax, but then I end up coming up with poems and stuff which I then have to write. Sometimes it helps if I go out and run a few miles that day so I'm a little worn out that night.

Actually, the best thing I have found to wear myself out... is driving. So I'll just take a trip up to the art store about 30 miles from here. The driving, and just all the energy it takes to pick between all the different stuff to buy, usually allows me to settle down when I should be getting sleep.

- Adam

Andrew
10-30-2003, 09:19 AM
After work, I tend to the pets needs (going out, walks, etc), put in some home renovation time, then its time for supper (which it usually either my turn to cook or for cleanup). Helping the kids with homework and/or shuttling them back and forth to band practice, soccer practice, musical practice, scouts, etc. is next. By then it is after 10:00 (2200 hrs for you militarily minded folks), and I try to squeeze in a little art time before bed. At 0500 it starts all over again.

Andrew

timelady
10-30-2003, 03:27 PM
Yeah, it's the sort of stuff they used to tell us at our induction talks for night shift work at the bank. So much is common sense but we push our bodies to do weird things, don't we?

I've always been a night person. But I wanted to actually be out during the light! And maybe see other people once in a while! I'm a very social worker actually, love chats and coffee breaks and visits up to my studio. Whereas in non-work I do not like other people. I'm weird. Anyhoo... it's taken me a long time to break the night-shift habit. Plus I have other habits that I only realised later were inherent in me and not part of night shift work - not falling asleep easily, not waking easily, mid-day fatigue, etc. So I just shift my day around. I take as long as I like to get up, spend the morning in pajamas doing computer bits and paperwork and watching TV. Then about 1pm I really get going and head over to the studio until about 8pm. Then back home for the serious computer work. I do this until I exhaust myself and go to bed.

So I guess technically my chill out time is in the morning before work, for about 3-4 hours. This works far better with how my brain works. I can't throw myself into any structured task in the morning anyway (such as taking a shower and dressing). And I don't 'wind down' in the evening because I just get bored and want to do something (usually more than one something at a time).

I'm a freak. But at least I know it. ;)
Tina.

Borum
10-30-2003, 04:16 PM
I rest between thoughts, in a place where there are no thoughts just silence. In this silence there is everything and nothing.

Try this...stop your thoughts....

pampe
11-02-2003, 09:24 PM
namaste

it works

Borum
11-03-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by pampe
namaste

it works

Pampe, I don't understand?