PDA

View Full Version : Art Journal Goals 2015

Blooming
12-29-2014, 01:25 PM
What are your art journal goals for 2015?

Blooming
12-29-2014, 02:07 PM
I plan to fill twelve handmade journals ( Teesha Moore 16 page journal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z6qmXGRrsE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vvSsJ39bc0 ), one for each month, with a corresponding theme. These journals have five two page spreads and I will fill one per week.

Themes chosen are:

January: Objects
February: Self love
March: Interiors
April: Trees
May: None planned due to gardening
June: Flowers/garden
July: People
August: Man made structures
September: Landscape
October: Fall
November: Food
December: Doodle, Lettering

DrDebby
12-29-2014, 02:45 PM
Sounds like an ambitious project. Good luck to you.

I will once more attempt to finish (failed this year) at least one of my many sketchbooks to I can put it on the shelf completely full. :)

Blooming
12-29-2014, 03:16 PM
Aren't filled journals and sketchbook such a pleasure and feeling of accomplishment? Good luck with yours, Debby!

My goal has more to do with discipline and organization than anything. I draw all the time, but it is never in one place. It's in the margins of my journal and stray pieces of paper. Often it is a sketchbook and then I stop before it is full because I either hate the paper or want to use a different medium for a drawing. I thought these sketchbooks are small enough to fill, and allows me to change papers each month. It also allows me to use up my stash without having to make new purchases! Win/win!

gingery
12-30-2014, 05:24 AM
I find that by adding my stuff I did on other papers works well when I use matte gel to put it in the journal.
I'm seriously considering signing up for a year in Life Book where lots of different artist teach online...I think it would be a good challenge, but not sure if I can keep at it all year.
ginger

Sydney214
12-30-2014, 06:09 AM
My goal is to sketch more regularly. I tend to sketch/draw in obsessive bursts and love every minute. However I then let life get in the way and do nothing for a couple of weeks or more. I don't know why because I can easily fit a five minute sketch into the busiest day and even when I am a frustrated sketcher the overall effect on me is always positive.

vhere
12-31-2014, 05:17 AM
I too stick stuff into sketchbooks when it was done on random bits of paper.

I always have a few books on the go at any time. At least a dozen from A2 to A6 but preferably A4 plus are on the 'current' shelf.

Some are themed about a certain place and may take 3 years to fill but it keeps studies together. Others may be a mix of subjects. Different papers, different sizes .... I just grab the one I need at the time. No pressure about rushing to fill them, just about doing some work somewhere!

I haven't counted the filled books but it takes a lot of shelves!

So my new year target is

To get out plein air more
To do more studies in a Harlequin series (abstract)
To look at still life objects in a simple, uncluttered way, no formal set ups
To do more illustrated books for my grandchildren
To try new things - currently playing with some scratch board,, something I haven't used since school!

Blooming
12-31-2014, 09:15 AM
I love reading about everyone's approaches to the new year, and to journal keeping.

Vhere, I would love to peruse your shelves! I have considered making books for my granddaughter as well. She lives 1400 miles away from me, and I think it would be an awesome way to develop a connection other than a once or twice a year visit. I hope you plan to share your scratch art progress with us! That is an art that has always intrigued me as well.

vhere
12-31-2014, 11:08 AM
Thanks Blooming :). You can see some of my sketchbook pages here (http://sitekreator.com/viviensketches/main_page.html). If you are interested. My blog has some of the books I made for the grandchildren - not professionals standard, just for family :). And some are on WC

I love Cornwall but its a long trip, so those books are the ones that sometimes span 3 years/3 trips. Others like life drawing are ongoing over time as its something I only do occasionally.

MCWescott
12-31-2014, 08:46 PM
What a great question to ponder on New Year's Eve! Just this morning I wrote the following on the title page of my newest Moleskine journal: "art for the heart...a little art every day, in some small way to fill my heart with love for all that surrounds me." A little corny, I know but I was thinking that a written commitment to daily creative pursuits was a worthy goal. My art journal is just one way that I create art of the heart, for the heart. Happy New Year's Eve, WC friends!

Carole A
12-31-2014, 10:58 PM
I tend to shy away from resolutions. Rather, I like to focus on my accomplishments for the past year. As past-President of my local arts guild, I was instrumental in acquiring wall grids for my organization for displaying art in shows and sales. We had one amazing show and a co-op event that benefitted another non-profit. (And that's just about my involvement in the arts; and does not include growth in my business and repairing personal relationships) Coming up is a commitment to the local garden club to recruit plein-aire artists to participate in a two-city weekend garden show.

All that being said, and although it's a goal, not a resolution, I hope to produce some art that has appeal to a range of patrons. Part of my goal is to practice, practice and practice, until I have developed some level of confidence. And that will likely involve art journaling so that I can monitor my progress.

From time-to-time, I may ask for critiques. I will appreciate the forum's help in this.

Carole A

vhere
01-01-2015, 03:26 AM
Sounds really positive :). I like the link with gardens. We have lots of villages having Open Gardens in aid of charity in the spring/summer ... a link to plein air sketching during the event would be an interesting addition ,,,, thinking about that :).

robertsloan2
01-01-2015, 07:25 AM
This is a great thread and a great idea. You've got the whole year planned, Blooming!

I like what I did last year keeping everything in one thread, so I'll do that again this year. I do have one overarching goal. It may be a bit like gilding the lily, okay, maybe not just gilding it but shaking glitter and gluing some rhinestones on it too while stapling it to crumpled Mylar stuff.

I'd like to improve my cat and big cat sketching in 2015, start doing some more action and motion sketches and expand into other nature subjects. But mainly work on improving my cats and sometimes scenes with cats in them. Might even build up to planning a painting with a big wild cat as the focal area and main subject. A big cat out in a landscape. But if not, at least get lots better at drawing and painting cats.

I have help, Ari cat is posing for me again right at the moment, Brick Position, knees fluffed, ears up. It really helps to have a good model.

pezk
01-01-2015, 07:37 AM
I will once more attempt to finish (failed this year) at least one of my many sketchbooks to I can put it on the shelf completely full. :)

I love this sentence. It sounds so much like me.
I have started to revisited the CP sketchbooks that I worked in a couple yrs ago and decided to go back to work adding to those sketchbooks.
Also have started to follow the watercolor challenge on the watercolor forum.
Does anyone know of a online challenge, like a drawing/painting a day?
Just trying to find ways to stay motivated.

Hope everyone has a good New Year.

vhere
01-01-2015, 08:19 AM
Why not start a challenge Pat?

I have no interest in the ones where everyone works from photos provided but a
Looser interpretation , like 'winter' or cats or art materials or whatever, with people providing their own source (and preferably from life) would be fun.

vhere
01-01-2015, 08:20 AM
Rob sounds interesting. Keep the loose way you did your cub rather than the more outlined one? I thought the cub was lovely :)

Fish<><
01-01-2015, 09:17 AM
Great thread to kick off a new year!

My goal is to creatively destroy these Christmas gifts.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2015/54332-image.jpg

Been way out of practice but am committed to do something creative this year.

Blooming
01-01-2015, 10:25 AM
MCWescott: I don't think that's corny at all, in fact I love it and what I would call a beautiful spiritual discipline!

Carole: I couldn't agree more with your idea of goals versus resolutions. Just the word resolution brings the idea of failure and I think if one is actually trying something that is where the success lies rather than the achievement.

robertsloan: I admire your dedication to one subject!

pezk and vhere: I found this challenge just this morning. I do believe it is intended to last the entire year, and might contain the kind of prompts you are looking for. http://athena-myfirstbloggy.blogspot.com/

Blooming
01-01-2015, 10:27 AM
Fish: Operation destruction underway! Please post your destructive process! :)

pezk
01-01-2015, 06:24 PM
Thx Blooming for that link for prompts. It will give me ideas when I'm stumped.

eyepaint
01-01-2015, 06:39 PM
If you want inspiration you could join us on the Scavenger Hunts - we sketch items from life - new list every 9 days. These are in the Artwork from Life (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=336) forum.

... or Weekend Drawing Events which are actually weekend art events - any medium welcome - 16 new photos each weekend and we create something in 2 hours and share it. This is in the All Media Art Events (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133) forum. New photos for this weekend are supposed to be posted by 5pm Los Angeles time today!

My goals - besides the above I'm gonna try for the 30 Paintings in 30 days (http://30paintingsin30days.weebly.com/) ... maybe with a dog theme or maybe palette knife abstracts...

And daily sketch ... my hand I think - it's something I'll have with me daily :)

pezk
01-01-2015, 06:45 PM
Thx eyepaint. Those give me even more ideas and opportunities for when I'm suffering artists block. Thx again.

Shannon Expat
01-01-2015, 10:01 PM
My resolution is participating in this part of the forum. I have been lurking here for 2 years, but posting work only in the oil painting forum.

My goal is to start sketching in a fun, low stress way, try to make it a daily habit.

Off to start my own thread!

vhere
01-02-2015, 04:35 AM
Good list :)

eyepaint
01-02-2015, 10:48 AM
So far I've done two palette knife dog paintings (super quick) but need to sketch my hand twice today :)

Jack Giesen
01-03-2015, 01:22 PM
My goal is to sketch every weekday during my lunch break at work. :)

Scattykat
01-04-2015, 05:00 AM
Blooming, good idea a journal of different objects each month. :thumbsup:
Ginger n Vivian great ideas, I've never considered the sticking stuff into a journal, but what a top idea. Only yesterday I had to try and search out a painting I did last year for someone, and realized, again, I have to do something about my filing, or rather my piling system. I'm defo going to adopt this idea, thank you. :)
Debby, yes, must get better at finishing, I have a pile for that too ;)
Sydney, Patk, MCW Jack n Shannon, yes yes yes - sketch every day, certainly not corny, for the artist t'is absolutely necessary fer good health :D
Carole A, how positive to look at your achievements, as I always say to peeps, look at what you have done rather than focus on what ya have not... :smug:
Robert, a resident model is always a special help :)
Fish, sounds a top idea :)
EP, love the scav hunts, they really are a good source of inspiration when the doldrums set in... :thumbsup:

...how about an inspiration journal? - I used to carry one when I was at work, more often for poetry, but often I'd see something that made me go 'oh wow, that's a great painting idea', but by the end of the day these flashes had dulled into the melee of liaising with colleagues, ferrying children back n forth, rushing round for groceries and making meals, ironing n housework, helping with homework and getting prepared for the next day. This was a great little book for getting back some of those sparks on the days I did have time to write or paint. Inspiration in art is only inspirational for a moment, when it's passed it's very difficult to get back.

have a wonderful productive year y'all :cat: :wave:

Eye
01-06-2015, 02:27 AM
Hi, I am a busy working mom of two...who like to sketch/draw/paint but sometimes, I got way to exhausted to sketch... I will try to sketch more in Scavenger Hunt and possibly, also start a sketching journal here.

I have a few complete sketchbooks but a lot more of unfinished ones. I am kind of like to switch around as my heart feels at the moment. I'll try to focus to finish some of those pending sketchbooks.

Cheers to you all,

Blooming
01-06-2015, 09:54 AM
Skattykat: I know that feeling all to well of losing great ideas in the business of life. The best ideas seem to come when we are doing something else. I found that the memo or note section on my cellphone is a great place to jot things down. I am sure, for those who are technology savvy that there is a way to record these ideas, via voice, onto the cell phone. I know for me, that the best ideas ALWAYS come when I am driving, and I have an ancient voice recorder I keep in my car.

KreativeK
01-07-2015, 12:47 PM
I had a hard time finding this forum! For this year, I plan to add one sketch/day to my journal, fill it up, start over, and continue on with online Sketchbook Skool.
Pat, you can check out Leslie Saeta's 30 paintings in 30 days challenge on her blog HERE (http://lesliesaeta.blogspot.com/) joining in at any time, as EP mentioned above. Lots of fun! :clap: