PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions?

SWells99
12-29-2014, 08:49 AM
Hello!
I need to know where to get/order scratchboard tools...especially something to use for textures.

I also need to know what I should use to color a scratchboard and techniques. I have poked around in this forum and found some wonderful advice by someone using a Basset Hound as an example that was very helpful.

What fixative should I use?

Thank you in advance!
Sue W

SandeVBL
12-29-2014, 06:05 PM
I see you've been looking at some of the sticky threads. Those should be really helpful, even reading through the comments. People use a lot variety of tools that are widely available: #11 exacto knives, sandpaper, emery boards, tattoo needles, fiberglass brushes, etc. You can google them and find sources. I have bought a lot of my things from Amazon. My own personal favorite is the #11 scalpel blade on a retractable knife. Ampersand company sells a few tools specific to scratchboard.
Some people use Ampersand inks. They are nice enough. Some use colored pencils, watercolors, or acrylic inks. I like the FW Acrylic inks, but they are a bit tougher to scratch through but great to layer.
Sprays? There is a huge variety of opinions on which sprays are the best. Whole long threads here and on the Facebook Scratchboard page (are you there too?) For me, after ruining several drawings trying different brands I started using the Lascaux UV satin and did much better, but it's pretty pricey. I recently tried Golden Archival Spray Varnish in the satin finish. I thought it was going to be gloppy, but it dried very well even with 4 coats - probably the best yet, for me at least.
Hope this is helpful.

SWells99
12-30-2014, 07:01 AM
Oh Sande...thank you so much for the input! I try to poke around and read what I can find but your personal experience has been very helpful!

I want to get my technique down so I can attempt what I imagine to be some glorious scratchboards...lol!

Sue W
:wave:

ggart4u
12-30-2014, 10:55 AM
I also like Derwent inktense pencils for color. You'll find what you like - and don't - as you go along. It's fun and always something new to learn as you try new textures and techniques.

PaintDog
12-30-2014, 06:02 PM
Welcome Sue!

If you're on Facebook, there's a great scratchboard group there and I've posted a document with links to various helpful discussions here and on FB.

The group is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/14010698466

And the document is here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/scratchboard-artists/helpful-links/10152597186628467

I think you'd have to join the group in order to see the document.

Regarding sealers, there was a discussion here on WC: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1324978

And there were a couple of other sealer discussions on FB and the links to those are in that document.

My personal preferences:

Lascaux sealer in semi-matte

a #16 X-acto, although on rare occasions I'll use a #11 or a scalpel

Derwent Inktense for color. Ampersand inks are good too, you just have to remember to mix more than you think you'll need and save it in a container for additional layering or touch ups.

I also put together a "scratchboard resources" page on my web site with links to all sorts of scratchboard-related stuff: www.annran.com/website/gallery/scratchboard/scratchboard-resources