PDA

View Full Version : Icons: Falcon WIP

XQB
12-26-2014, 04:12 PM
"Icons" is a new series I'm beginning today, which I'll be working on between other projects and commissions over the next year or so. I'll be examining branding for both motorcycles and cars ranging from the instantly recognizable (iconic) to the fairly obscure. This one is 8X10, and most of these will be that size or smaller.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Dec-2014/99275-Falcon_Dec_26_2014_2sm.jpg
The misaligned letters are true to the gorgeously restored example I photographed for this piece, and frankly are pretty true and consistent with how most cars left the factory in the 60's and 70's.

Obedec
12-27-2014, 10:39 AM
Aww, I got a Plymouth Valiant (with fins and push button) and my best friend got a Falcon...we went everywhere in those cars. This is a wonderful piece and sure brought the memories home.

shodansword
12-27-2014, 11:18 AM
I can fondly remember these beauties myself. My first car was a 71 Mercury Comet with a 302 and a 3 speed manual on the floor. It went very quick. That was the days when you could almost climb into the engine compartment to change the plugs, not today. - LOL You can't see the pavement looking under the hood nowadays.

SandeVBL
12-27-2014, 09:17 PM
You have a really nice start on this. The series sounds interesting. I like those quirky letters!

VENKAT
12-28-2014, 02:02 AM
Brilliant start

XQB
12-29-2014, 05:36 AM
I thank you all for your compliments, and I'm very pleased if I can evoke an emotional, memory-rich response. That is always the goal, is it not?
Not tons of progress this morning, but some, as the details begin to take shape...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Dec-2014/99275-Falcon_Dec_29_2014sm.jpg

Harry Seymour
12-29-2014, 08:08 AM
Should be a wonderful series.

shodansword
01-02-2015, 11:00 AM
Hey Matthew, hope you don't mind, but you have inspired me to tackle a few iconic cars from my younger days and maybe take a crack at doing a Scratch or two of them! Maybe even a few pieces on the more exotic side? Who knows?

Love your awesome work and I enjoyed browsing your web site as well! :thumbsup:

XQB
01-03-2015, 08:52 AM
Why on earth would I mind that? What artist doesn't aspire to inspire? Just promise to share them here for us all to see, and most of all, ENJOY!

shodansword
01-03-2015, 04:16 PM
Why on earth would I mind that? What artist doesn't aspire to inspire? Just promise to share them here for us all to see, and most of all, ENJOY!

I will share for sure, thank you for the encouragement!! Your work definitely inspires my friend!! :D

Rob

XQB
01-05-2015, 06:14 AM
Kill it, Rob! I look forward to seeing your approach! I have some exotics photographed that I'm awaiting the proper inspiration to scratch. I'm going to shoot an R8 this week (I think), which will likely inspire me a bit...
For now, though, I'm nearly there with the Falcon. Letting it stew for a day before I start re-inking and adjusting values, then I'll likely sign it and move on!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2015/99275-Falcon_Jan_5_2015sm.jpg

shodansword
01-05-2015, 03:03 PM
Your Falcon looks fabulous Matt! Reminds me of when I went to High School there was a student that was a very big man, probably in the 300-400 pound range.

He was so huge that the shocks on the driver side were permanently compressed down a bit when he wasn't in the car. When he was in the car, it was almost as if they were totally compressed. :lol:

Then the most funny part was that the Falcon was jet black and was covered on both the sides with colorful flower stickers from the seventy's. :eek: :lol: :lol:

Do you think anyone teased him? Not on your life! :lol: :lol:

Rob

donovansbrain
01-21-2015, 08:12 PM
Excellent. Nice to see the progress. My brother had a 1960 Falcon and I have some 2-1/4 negatives of the old classics with tons of chrome. I am now inspired to do one, or two, or three. :)