PDA

View Full Version : pastel remorse

jakertanner
12-20-2014, 11:40 PM
Hi,
wonderingif anyone else has ever felt remorse or a difficulty selling or giving away pastels you no longer need? Or do you hold on to them regardless?

robertsloan2
12-21-2014, 12:00 AM
I have! I still miss my original 60 Grumbachers, 30 assorted and 30 Skin Tones, from back in the day when I was doing pastel portraits in New Orleans. It would be great to have all the pastels I ever had back again. Just never going to happen, they're discontinued.

I hang onto them even if I think I don't like them. What I don't know is whether some article or project or class next year or several years down the line suddenly makes everything click and I go "wow, I could use those, could figure out what to do with them now, they're just right for that..."

It's okay. Hang onto those you didn't sell and build on that. They will still be good. Go ahead and get more too, that usually helps. Terrible thing to go trough, letting go of good pastels in a move.

I gave a little student set away to a friend down the hall and had to order another one this month to replace it, so that itch is somewhat reduced for me now. And I do like my Rembrandts as much as the Grumbachers, they are good ones. I have plenty in that same category.

I still have most of the pastels I've ever owned.

There's need and then there's want. A large range and collection gives elbow room to experiment with different textures and palettes. No one that I know of actually has all of the pastels there are. I don't think that can be done really, and it wouldn't fit in a small home if someone did, would take sort of a millionaire artist maybe. But it's fun to imagine, isn't it?

The ones you don't feel you need now become something of a boredom-busting challenge later. "Try using the colors least-used" challenge or "Try using all neutrals in a painting, browns and grays in values." Or brights if you lean to brights. Textures not used often. They have different effects is what it is. I can honestly say, of artist grade pastels, I haven't met any that I really don't like. I tend to save the messy super soft Sennelier and Ludwigs for last because they are messy but that's more a function of not wanting to clean up than anything else.

You can get past this. Watch for coupons, look for the big holiday bargains, treat yourself to more pastels and do the thing you were thinking of, get the ones you wish you'd gotten in the first place.

jakertanner
12-21-2014, 12:14 AM
I understand exactly where you are coming from. I am still in need of selling, just not sure the ones I have are exactly what I want or need, so I am putting them up for sale again. I need to focus on one or two brands and become proficient with them, rather than scattered..but that's what I think would work for me.

I would love to keep them, but at the moment, I know I won't use them all, and could also use the money to get more focused. Especially if I am to try street painting here, I'd like to just have minimal brands for consistency.

robertsloan2
12-21-2014, 12:42 AM
Since you're working toward that, why not concentrate on selling some paintings online to help fund what you need? If it's that you need the money, that'll get you where you're going. Then those can either become part of your street kit or not.

Keep working on technique. What brands are you thinking of now for your main brand or two? I'm curious, given what all you've tried.

Are you looking for something firmer, more like the Rembrandt or Art Spectrums that'd give more control and fine detail? You went off into the very soft ones in your first round of buying. Rembrandt is closest to the old Grumbachers that I had when I first did it.

Or is it that the Girault are calling you? Those it might be a good idea to get the color chart from Dakota before putting it together.

jakertanner
12-21-2014, 12:53 AM
Robert, I wish I could knock out paintings and sell them faster than icansellthe pastels. They are listed here, but if I try to create then market it will take too long.

My focus would be probably AS...I know, after all the price fuss...lol or possibly Mungyo soft rounds for under. And for sorts, its not that I don't like what I have, but I need to start over with a more focused color pallate from sets then add to that, versus open stock first...then your almost certain to get duplicates through sets.

Also, crazy as it sounds, I'd like to slowly start building a Roche collection...3 at a time.

jakertanner
12-21-2014, 12:57 AM
I'd also love to focus on getting Caran d'Ache pastel pencils for some street work.

Potoma
12-21-2014, 05:18 PM
I have a set of Derwent pastels that barely made it past the packaging. At least they're in a flat, metal box, so they take up little room. Selling in person is so much easier than selling with shipping added.

I find that I can be over run with books.

One local art center has an annual art supply sell off and getting a table is only $10. I sold 1.5 large bins of books at about $10 each - no where near what I paid, put I have so much shelf space now! Plus I sold several wood sketch boxes and sets of oils. I only with she Soltek had sold - it was close to going!

Mentally, I am gathering more things to sell next year. Unfortunately for the people who brought them, open frames did not sell, which are another thing I have too many. I am sure I will come up with other stuff, though.

jakertanner
12-21-2014, 10:14 PM
Bonnie, you suggest then to include shipping for sale items? And I also have the pastels listed via Craigslist..I know not ideal, but that would cover the locals looking to just pick them up. Any other suggestions?

Potoma
12-21-2014, 11:19 PM
Hi Jake, I just meant people are reluctant to pay shipping in general. Great idea trying CL. I thought about doing it for my easel. I will think about more places.

jakertanner
12-22-2014, 03:33 AM
Not sure how to edit my post in swap shop to include free shipping. I don't see an edit button or even where to remove the listing once sold. if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Equus Art
12-22-2014, 06:49 AM
Just put in a second post below your first one, either to state price revision and then when they sell.

Cat

westcoast_Mike
12-22-2014, 10:59 AM
Nah, I hold on to em. The one who dies with the most sticks wins.

jakertanner
12-22-2014, 01:16 PM

lol:

jakertanner
12-22-2014, 01:17 PM
Just put in a second post below your first one, either to state price revision and then when they sell.

Cat

Thanks, I will do that

SAS Designs
12-22-2014, 05:45 PM
I'm with WestcoastMike..and I feel the same way about books too...
a friend, who likes me, collects books, described it something like having insurance, you never know when you're going to want to READ that specific book you found in a wonderful used book store, or on sale, or recommended or something...
Same with pastels...such fun to play.
suzy

jakertanner
12-22-2014, 07:27 PM
I understand if you are collecting, but if its a genuine overflow of pastels that will not get used for years, I'd rather just have the money now, and buy later when actually needed.

Barbara WC
12-22-2014, 08:18 PM
but if its a genuine overflow of pastels that will not get used for years, I'd rather just have the money now, and buy later when actually needed.
I don't think you've gotten to the 1,000 stick mark yet- anything below that isn't an overflow :lol:

PS- I looked at your sale thread- it looks to me that you have more of a paper overflow than a pastel paper flow... Maybe you should consider selling the paper and pastel separately...

MChesleyJohnson
12-22-2014, 08:38 PM
I never, ever give away art materials! You never know when you might need them. ;)

stapeliad
12-22-2014, 10:45 PM
Go ahead and get more too, that usually helps.

Quoted for emphasis!!

for the record once I adopt art supplies they have a forever home with me.

stapeliad
12-22-2014, 10:48 PM

Quoted for emphasis!!

jakertanner
12-23-2014, 02:36 AM
I don't think you've gotten to the 1,000 stick mark yet- anything below that isn't an overflow :lol:

PS- I looked at your sale thread- it looks to me that you have more of a paper overflow than a pastel paper flow... Maybe you should consider selling the paper and pastel separately...

Barbara, by overflow I meant pastels that I am not using. I purchased blindly and finding I need to start fresh and focused. The paper I would keep but I am giving it away to make the sale more attractive. I can't do any painting at the moment, and would rather make a sale than to hold on to art supplies I can't use for a while.

I appreciate your input :)

jakertanner
12-23-2014, 02:39 AM
Quoted for emphasis!!

for the record once I adopt art supplies they have a forever home with me.

it sounds like you are a collector...lol I would not be selling if I didn't have to. My current place is way to small, and I don't have the time..for a while, anyway to paint...so may as well sell. I can replace everything when ready, but with more emphasis on "need" rather than want.

JamieWG
12-24-2014, 05:26 PM
I'm always happy to get rid of anything that's not lightfast, and I never have regrets about that. Better that it's out of my studio and there's zero percent chance of it finding its way into my work.