PDA

View Full Version : You Red it here; Swatches of some reddish colours

Bradicus
12-13-2014, 10:15 PM
Hey All,
I said I would post reds when I got the new ones in, and here they are!
Ok, there are magentas too, and a couple violets, but makes for a good range for looking at pigments. Kinda of a cloudy days so lighting is not 'ideal'.
FYI, the 122(Gigalot's famous) and 209 were very strong in tints.
I liked working with the Norma and W&N red. The rest are what you would expect. The v19 makes great pinks and I think the 264 was closer to AC than the perm versions in tint.
It is interesting to compare them.
Cheer, Brad
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2014/1961250-reds.jpeg
Top row from left to right, full strength, and tinted with titanium White
Norma, Vermilion Red Deep pr255/po62 semi-opaque, lf1
Blue Ridge, Cadmium Vermilion pr108 opaque, lf1
M Graham, Cadmium Red Light pr108 opaque, lf1
M Graham, Quinacridone Red pr209 transparent, lf1
Maimeri Puro, Avignon Orange pr206 semi-opaque, lf1
Winsor & Newton, Bright Red pr254 transparent, lf1
M Graham, Cadmium Red pr108 opaque, lf1
Gamblin, Napthol Red, pr112, lf2

Bottom row from left to right, full strength, and tinted with titanium White
Gamblin, Alizarin Permanent pr177/pg36 transparent, lf1
Grumbacher, Alizarin Crimson pr83 transparent, lf3
Blue Ridge, Permanent Alizarin Crimson pr264/pb29/pv19 transparent, lf1
Rembrandt, Permanent Madder Deep pr264 semi-transparent, lf1
Grumbacher, Thio Violet pr122 transparent, lf1
Grumbacher, Thalo Red Rose pv19 semi-opaque, lf1
Rembrandt, Rose's Lilac made from roses and lilacs, opaque, lf1, smells good
Blue Ridge, Cobalt Violet pv14 semi-transparent , lf1

Patrick1
12-14-2014, 03:30 AM
Thanks Brad...I especially like the deep masstone of the transparent colors...great for mixing darks. Your Maimeri PR206 looks delish (try mixing with PB15 to see what kind of black you get)...but I'm surprised it's labeled as semi-opaque (?)

opainter
12-14-2014, 03:48 AM
I also noticed that PR206. Elsewhere it's called Quinacridone Burnt Orange. Chroma in both of their Jo Sonja and Atelier Interactive lines (acrylics) has a Brown Madder (PR175) that I think looks similar. I also like the first color, your Norma Vermilion Red Deep (PR255/PO62). I wonder why it is that this color looks redder than the next color, the Blue Ridge Cadmium Red (PR108), which looks positively orange? Maybe because of their technical wizardry? :confused:

Bradicus
12-14-2014, 03:46 PM
Hey Patrick, I was surprised to by the semi-opaque sign on the tube.
I havent investiagated into it yet.
MPNancy and Becca put me onto the puro.

Opainter, The cad virmilion from blue ridge is VERY orange.
Acts like a cad in every way to me, but not red!

Cheers,
Brad

yellow_oxide
12-14-2014, 04:37 PM
Cadmium orange (PO20) and cadmium red (PR108) are both made from Cadmium Selenosulphide. The difference, as far as I've read, is the proportions of those ingredients. At some point the percent of one or more of them becomes low/high enough that they stop calling it orange and start calling it red. That's what I've read anyways. There may be a difference in manufacturing for all I know.

Blue Ridge cadmium vermilion might be right on the border of the two pigments. It's only a little redder than cadmium red orange (PO20) from Blockx, both of which I have and just compared.

Bradicus
12-14-2014, 09:44 PM
Cadmium orange (PO20) and cadmium red (PR108) are both made from Cadmium Selenosulphide. The difference, as far as I've read, is the proportions of those ingredients. At some point the percent of one or more of them becomes low/high enough that they stop calling it orange and start calling it red. That's what I've read anyways. There may be a difference in manufacturing for all I know.

Blue Ridge cadmium vermilion might be right on the border of the two pigments. It's only a little redder than cadmium red orange (PO20) from Blockx, both of which I have and just compared.
YO,
I didnt know that about cad red 108. So can have po20 in it unlisted?
Brad

yellow_oxide
12-14-2014, 10:35 PM
I don't know the rules about listing pigments so I would only be guessing. I prefer to just assume that what's listed is all that's there. :)

Mythrill
12-17-2014, 12:04 PM
Hey All,
I said I would post reds when I got the new ones in, and here they are!
Ok, there are magentas too, and a couple violets, but makes for a good range for looking at pigments. Kinda of a cloudy days so lighting is not 'ideal'.
FYI, the 122(Gigalot's famous) and 209 were very strong in tints.
I liked working with the Norma and W&N red. The rest are what you would expect. The v19 makes great pinks and I think the 264 was closer to AC than the perm versions in tint.
It is interesting to compare them.
Cheer, Brad
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2014/1961250-reds.jpeg
Top row from left to right, full strength, and tinted with titanium White
Norma, Vermilion Red Deep pr255/po62 semi-opaque, lf1
Blue Ridge, Cadmium Vermilion pr108 opaque, lf1
M Graham, Cadmium Red Light pr108 opaque, lf1
M Graham, Quinacridone Red pr209 transparent, lf1
Maimeri Puro, Avignon Orange pr206 semi-opaque, lf1
Winsor & Newton, Bright Red pr254 transparent, lf1
M Graham, Cadmium Red pr108 opaque, lf1
Gamblin, Napthol Red, pr112, lf2

Bottom row from left to right, full strength, and tinted with titanium White
Gamblin, Alizarin Permanent pr177/pg36 transparent, lf1
Grumbacher, Alizarin Crimson pr83 transparent, lf3
Blue Ridge, Permanent Alizarin Crimson pr264/pb29/pv19 transparent, lf1
Rembrandt, Permanent Madder Deep pr264 semi-transparent, lf1
Grumbacher, Thio Violet pr122 transparent, lf1
Grumbacher, Thalo Red Rose pv19 semi-opaque, lf1
Rembrandt, Rose's Lilac made from roses and lilacs, opaque, lf1, smells good
Blue Ridge, Cobalt Violet pv14 semi-transparent , lf1

Brad, thank you for all these swatches!

Which of these pigments do you like best?

Bradicus
12-17-2014, 07:10 PM
Brad, thank you for all these swatches!

Which of these pigments do you like best?
Mythrill,
In the reds, I have to say I dont love cads. They do the job, but they dont speak to me. I havent explored the puro 206 yet much.
Couldnt be a primary red for me, but for portraits might be a workhorse.
The one that surprised me was the Norma. I like it. I will do a mix sheet with a few and post. We'll see where that one falls.
The WN bright red is great, and I like napthol. So those are top three so far non-cads.

In the magentas and beyond. The Rembrandt Madder deep is a staple for me as it mixes like AC but is LF1. The other two AC replacements work great too and have that slight blue undertone in mass. I have never used AC strait outta the tube so I am happy with the Madder. For me personally, the rembrandt mixes easier than the others as it is slightly less strong.
The pv19 is super purrrrty, and the 122 is probibly the best magenta for the dollar. Strong and cheap. I dont love it like Alex but I have both for when I might need.

The Rose's Lilac is just for fun, and I bought cobalt voilet but just dont use at all...

What about you Mythrill? Which ones are you using for a magenta and red? And do you use a violet?

Brad

Mythrill
12-17-2014, 07:45 PM
Hi, Brad! Thanks for the analysis. I might consider PR206 in the future. :)

What about you Mythrill? Which ones are you using for a magenta and red? And do you use a violet?

Brad

I usually like to pair up red-violets, for example: Permanent Rose (PV 19-gamma) and Perylene Marron (PR 179), or Quinacridone Magenta (PR 122) + Quinacridone Rose.

As for reds, I love Winsor & Newton's Cadmium Red Medium (PR 108). In tints, it can actually pass as a very soft magenta. However, if I need a very bright red-orange, I use Pyrrole Red Light (PR 255). Sometimes, I will pair up a saturated red-orange with a low chroma one, for example, Winsor & Newton's Light Red (PR 102) with Cadmium Red Medium. This helps graying saturated red-oranges beautifully!

If, for some reason, I can't use multiple red-violets, or if they won't fit there, I just stick with Quinacridone Magenta (PR 122).This is, without a doubt, the most versatile magenta pigment we have today.