PDA

View Full Version : Cape Elizabeth Light

Javier
07-01-2001, 10:19 AM
This watercolour is 14" by 11" done 300 pound Arches' paper. It is taken from the front cover of 'Painting from Photographs' by Patrick Seslar. BTW the rocks, tree, and pennant were not in Mr. Seslar's painting.

I would value a critical critique of both its faults and its merits. Please, do not be afraid to be critical with constructive criticism. I can not improve without knowing where I missed the mark. On my last two posting I received some very valuable comments, which were gratefully accepted.

This is the Cape Elizabeth Light (East Tower) located at the entrance to Casco Bay, near Cape Elizabeth, Maine. It was established in 1828 and is still operational.

Don't forget there is an Art Project on Lighthouses (Advertisement). :) :p :clap:

Thanks in Advance (TIA),

j

Javier
07-01-2001, 10:21 AM
If you do a preview the picture goes away. hehehe

j

Javier
07-01-2001, 10:42 AM
I brightened it up a bit. After all the title has "Light" in it.

j

RuthT
07-01-2001, 11:11 AM
Hi Javier - I really like this painting. The sky is beautiful; how did you achieve this effect? I envy artists who can paint buildings, it is one of my weak points.
From the tree and the pennant it looks as if there is a strong wind blowing, but the grass is standing upright, I feel that some of the taller blades should be bent or slanted. Also the rocks (which I particularly like) look rather isolated in the lower left corner. I think they would be more part of the painting if a few blades of grass were growing between the rocks.
Good work Javier

:clap:

Javier
07-01-2001, 11:24 AM
RuthT, you're right about the grass -- the misstake I made was doing the grass before I did the tree. That's called planing ahead. hahaha

The rocks -- I just couldn't figure out how to push them back into the painting -- I'll try adding the grass to them.

The sky -- just wash and dry.

Thanks for the help,

j

Rod
07-02-2001, 06:22 AM
A lovely wet into wet sky. I agree with the comments re the grass. The rocks would combine more if you added the grass inbetween the larger ones and dirtied up some. Also the odd small rock on the grass would pull it together,
Rod.

Lise
07-02-2001, 06:50 AM
This is lovely. Agree that those rocks need a bit of dirtying up plus adding some windblown grass blades. Well done.

Javier
07-02-2001, 08:01 AM
This is really a great site with a lot of very helpful folks.

Thanks for the compliments and the help with those pesky old rock and that very strong grass that stands up right in a gale.

Next time I'll work on scuffing up those rocks and adding some bent grass. And yes, I just piled the rock there on the left side without letting them spill out into the painting. Next time.

Thanks Again,

j

ameliajordan
07-02-2001, 10:07 AM
Thanks for showing. I agree about the rocks and grass comments. I really like the way the wind is blowing - gives one the feeling of being there.

jenrou
07-03-2001, 11:06 PM
I like the good solid look to your lighthouse and buildings. The sky especially looks great too. I'm not qualified to comment on it further, but I like it.