PDA

View Full Version : I'm a newbie about 18 months

Jay-bird77
12-08-2014, 01:09 PM
I just received my first artists quality soft pastels and I couldn't be more excited!
But as the Wetcanvas.com guru Robertsloan2 proclaims in a great article on his blog it's intimidating actually "breaking them in"!

Theset is from DickBlick art materials! The set isof 15 full and 30 half sticks for $49.99! Amazing!! any suggestions for sorting my box it's a 2 drawer beautiful black box. Should I list the pigments #'s?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2014/1190917-14180585226341494095410.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2014/1190917-14180585944791879265600.jpg

water girl
12-08-2014, 01:47 PM
Thank you for sharing! There is nothing more beautiful or intimidating as a box of new pastels. My very first set of pastels was a 60-piece set of Rembrandt half sticks. I also picked up only a few NuPastel sticks. That was enough to get me going. There is nothing wrong with keeping them in the box. I kept that first set together until the cardboard box broke apart. Now paint!

JPQ
12-08-2014, 03:08 PM
They changed sometimes their pigments for exampel red violet which should recent version also very lightfast. I dont like Rembrands itself.

julieindvik
12-08-2014, 03:17 PM
Congrats on your new set Jay, they are beautiful! My first set was a Rembrandt and I love them! I got started about 18 months ago too...you are much further along. I started drawing, oil, water color and pastel all at the same time which maybe why I'm so far behind you. Now I'm concentrating mostly on pastels and in an oils class too.

I really like the black box, looks very useful. I know it's good advice to put all of your pastels together and sort by hue and value, but I think I did it too soon. My second set was thr Maggie Price Values set and as a beginner it would have been easier for me to keep them sorted that way in the box. I see in your Rembrandts you have more than one value of many colors. It's handy to keep them together, at least for awhile.

Enjoy your new sticks!

Nick7
12-08-2014, 03:52 PM
Congratulations!! I took me so long to dare to broke anything :) But then I learned that my pastels get quickly dirty because I alternate between lights and darks a lot. And when I broke the sticks and use just one third of each, the rest remains wonderfully clean :D Now I can break my Unisons like a pro ;) :D

I do clean them, but not after each painting. It feels like a waste...

Happy painting!!!

Still-trying
12-08-2014, 03:52 PM
Congratulations on your new toys. Enjoy them so much.

westcoast_Mike
12-08-2014, 04:05 PM
Congratulations, thatís a great assortment to get started painting with. Up itís up to you if you want to break them in half. There a couple of reasons why some of do this. First, if we are putting them in a travel\plein air box like the Heilman or the ones from Dakota. It allows us to fit more sticks in there. The second is if you use up a stick, it helps make it easier to match up which one you need to replace. Plus, you have the other half to use while waiting on the replacement. Even if you donít break them, Iíd consider making a color chart. This is simply a mark made on a sheet of white paper, with the color id under it. This helps in reordering as well. Other than that bit of advice, itís time to get painting.

getdusty
12-08-2014, 06:48 PM
Beautiful set! Yup, it's time to put pastel to paper. Enjoy!

robertsloan2
12-14-2014, 09:52 PM
I would suggest breaking and peeling the full sticks, but make a chart of all of them. This will also give you the option of getting up to 15 more colors and break those from open stock to personalize and keep 60 colors in that elegant box. You can store extra halves in the small boxes they ship the open stock in if you do this.

Set boxes are extremely useful. I've found most of them pretty sturdy and permanent. The foam looks good in what you got. I bought the 60 half sticks but you're not limited to those same colors. I would recommend a deep dark violet and a deep dark green, maybe a dark red with them, maybe dark blue and create a half dozen spectrum deep darks among the new colors if you expand. Deep darks are very useful. So are mid darks. What specific other colors attract you, you can find out gradually while you paint. Near white colors are also useful, which I think you have some already.

Gorgeous set and you can't go wrong starting with this brand. I love them and have been using my 60 half sticks a lot!