PDA

View Full Version : Dakota boxes for pastel pencils?

Skinnybonedog
12-06-2014, 02:45 PM
Hi all,

Am trying to think of the best way to keep my pastel pencils in a way that allows mw to put them away quickly but also have easy access when using them. I have looked at the 2 and 3 drawer units on amazon and dakota has one two but I could never take that with me in a pack. So I was wondering if anyone had tried the Dakota traveler for pencils? I have asked Dakota and they said it would work fine. But wanted to see if anyone was actually doing it. And if so would the small one work for about 200 pencils or would I need to get the large box. I do realize the pencils will be somewhat stacked and not a single line, one pencil thick and that is ok. Anyone?

Tammy

stapeliad
12-06-2014, 06:10 PM
I keep my pastel pencils (Derwents) in the tin they came in.

Grinner
12-07-2014, 02:07 PM
I use these cases (http://www.dickblick.com/items/22744-2120/#photos) - you can click on the other photo to see what it looks like open.

Barbara WC
12-07-2014, 03:17 PM
I have both the small and the large Dakota Traveler.

I haven't tried it, and sorry I'm out of town so I can't test, but I can't imagine 200 pastel pencils fitting in the small Traveler. I am pretty sure they would fit in the large one.

I suggest measuring out on a large piece of packing paper, or on the ground, the dimensions of the Dakota traveler. Seems like overkill for pastel pencils. And the large box weighs 5 1/2 pounds empty. You mention taking it "in a pack", if you mean backpack, the large traveler won't fit in a backpack....

norskgal
12-07-2014, 05:44 PM
May I suggest you google Flambeau cases. When I was using colored pencils I bought two of their cases. They are splendid. But I can not find the exact ones I bought about 20 years ago. Mine are suitcase style with recessed handles. About 12" by 18" in size with adjustable compartments. I could easily handle 200 pencils. I divided mine into 8 compartments (9" x 2") for the pencils; leaving 8 compartments of 2" x 3". Sorted my pencils by value. They are sturdy and cheap. It is something you could buy for not too much money and use until you decide what will work best. And maybe you will luck out and find that Flambeau is a keeper.

SAS Designs
12-07-2014, 06:18 PM
I have the Global leather, and canvas: BUT it's a tight fit for 3 per elastic "space" esp. in the 120.
More convenient, I think, is several of the http://www.dickblick.com/products/yasutomo-niji-roll/
Always have trouble putting in a link on WC, but it's the Ninji rolls on DB.
Each holds 36 easily - for $5.
Suzy

Skinnybonedog
12-07-2014, 11:35 PM
I have two of the global cases and can't stand them for working out of. They would be fine for throwing in a bag but to get pencils out and back in is quite time consuming. That is why I was thinkin a more loose type of set up would be much less frustrating. I just ordered two Dakota boxes....one for pastel sticks, one for pencils. Will see how it works out.

SAS Designs
12-08-2014, 03:17 PM
Agree with the Global cases being too snug for 3 pencils, yet just 2 per slide around. Both in leather & canvas.
suzy

Potoma
12-10-2014, 12:26 AM
Blush. I use a gallon ziploc bag.

Skinnybonedog
12-10-2014, 12:29 AM
Lol....I will probably wish I had done something more simple and less costly....

robertsloan2
12-15-2014, 09:24 AM
I use two Niji rolls and it would drive me nuts using a Traveller case for the pencils.

JustinM
12-15-2014, 12:18 PM
I use a Pampered Chef Carousel like this (not my photo but you can see just how much stuff you can fit in it):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2014/60943-IMG_3807E.jpg

I can fit a 48 set of contes, 48 bruynzeel and 48 gioconda for a total of 144 pencils in there at once. I have a coffee mug that I use as a supplement, pulling out the 20 or so Im working with at the time until im done that particular painting.

Skinnybonedog
12-15-2014, 09:33 PM
Got my two Dakota boxes.....here they are. Not as many pencils fit as I would have liked but I think it will work.