PDA

View Full Version : The Goalpost December 2014

*Deirdre*
12-01-2014, 01:45 AM
Hi

Welcome the the Goal Post. Goal setting is a very good tool to help people get organized. If you write or post your thoughts, you are more committed and have a better chance of reaching those goals.

Your goals can be short term or long term. They can be daily, weekly, monthly or annual goals. Goals are personal, so everybody's goals will be different. They are your goals, so you can do what ever you want.

Come join the regular gang and get encouragement to help you reach your goals. We have a very friendly group and we are always looking for new people to join us.
I'm sure Robert will be along any minute, but, as you know, I promised him I would start it off if he was a tad late

robertsloan2
12-01-2014, 02:02 PM
Oh, ya got me! I had the reminder set for the morning on the 1st when I really need to do it on the night of the last night of the month. Thank you for picking it up! Purring at you!

I'm here and back from November's novel extravaganza, ready to shift back into art mode and hang out to paint. December is my lazy month.

Goals:
1: Have a good time
2: Get back in the habit of daily art
3: Do something for the Spotlight.

Nick7
12-01-2014, 05:53 PM
Those are wonderful goals, Rob!

Here is mine: when I come home from work, I am going to sketch a bird first and only after that I will open WC :D
That's 30 birds, that would be great. Plus one pastel bird each weekend. :clap:

Mij
12-02-2014, 05:18 AM
Thanks Deirdre for starting us off.

Good goals Robert, and you did so well last month on the mammoth writing.

Nick well done and again good goals. A bird? Yes they are not easy are they, although you seem to make light of them.

I have an outstanding goal of the Christmas Card Exchange and the last post date is the 4th of this month for Australia and the 5th for the USA and Canada. After that get my art store sorry spare room ready for sis who is joining us for the festivities .
Best of luck everybody :clap:.
Jim

ligerwolve
12-03-2014, 06:56 AM
Nice goals Robert!

Good luck Nick!

I wouldn't mind staying in an art store/spare room Jim :lol: Good luck with all the cards :)

My left over goals are:

Complete pastel frog/dragon fly.
Complete a pastel of a puppy.
Paint Eagle for my brother for Christmas.
Finish clouded leopard.
Start on a logo design for a friend of her dogs eyes in pastel

See I'm working through them :P

Mij
12-03-2014, 01:38 PM
I wouldn't mind staying in an art store/spare room Jim :lol: My sister is safe enough in there as she is a double cross stitch and a knitting peeps. She wont attempt art in any other form.
Good luck with all the cards :) Thanks, I have only the rest of this day to go before the last post to overseas and I still have four scenes to finish :angel::clear:
Good luck with your goals. This is the month of self indulgence though :lol:.

ligerwolve
12-04-2014, 03:39 AM
Yesterday was my birthday so I did very little. Back to the grind today. I think I will finish this lot.

Mij
12-04-2014, 04:38 AM
Yesterday was my birthday so I did very little. Many Happy Returns of yesterday then.:wave:

Done all the cards so will address the envelopes and up to the post with them. This has taught me a lot. :D
Jim

stapeliad
12-05-2014, 09:20 AM
Goal setting is a very good tool to help people get organized. If you write or post your thoughts, you are more committed and have a better chance of reaching those goals.

Ah, excellent! Here are my December goals:
1) finish the pastel tree on my easel
2) drink a lot of tea
3) stop making everything so "formal" in my head and work on a few smaller pieces just to have a bit of fun-- prob cloud studies
4) drink more tea
5) keep the stupid cats out of my panpastels
6) drink more tea

When Oil Painters Go Bad

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2014/53789-pastels1.jpg

Judibelle
12-05-2014, 11:20 AM
HaHa, Stapeliad, Love your goals! (and your blog!)
Jim, glad you got your cards done....good going!
Ligerwolve... a belated Happy Birthday!
Robert....love 'having a good time'....and hope you do!
Nick....how's it going with the birds?

My goal for Dec. was to bring up the Christmas Tree before Christmas. Mission accomplished!
Tonight is the Community Art Show opening...I do have a piece in it.
Tomorrow is the Community Studio Tour....I have some pieces showing in the local Roadside Store and Cafe... The weather is s'posed to be awful...So we'll see what happens.

After that, maybe I can get to painting again...

Mij
12-05-2014, 12:00 PM
Stapeliad, good goals there. Don't remind me, trees in pastel! I spent a long time trying to get them right. I hope you will give us the URL when you finish it. Keeping the animals away from the pastels is a good idea. They are like children in that everything has to be tasted.

Hi there JudiB. A nice set of goals for the December month. I did not understand what you meant by bring up the Christmas tree before Christmas. I say this because I cannot be bothered with a tree and decs. We will have table decs but there it ends.
Jim

Judibelle
12-05-2014, 02:13 PM
LOL Jim....we have a small already-decorated and lights-on tree our daughter gave us about 5 years ago. I keep it downstairs til it's time to 'bring it up' and plug it in. Last year I never brought it up at all....
But it sure is 'purdie' when it's up and lit...

Mij
12-05-2014, 04:13 PM
I see JudiB :D.Momentarily I was forgetting that lots of houses stateside have a 'basement' under the house where you store things like that :lol:. We don't although some older houses might have them. Hence the term 'bring them up' :lol:.

This house was new when we moved in and our 'plastic' tree is stored in what SWMBO calls 'the glory hole', the cupboard under the stairs :).
Jim

Judibelle
12-06-2014, 10:05 AM
Yes, Jim.....our 'downstairs' is actually the basement....with heat, and also serves as my Art 'Studio'......
It's a nice 'space' and I enjoy being down there...

Barbara WC
12-11-2014, 04:22 PM
Hi Everyone-

I'm not in the Goal Post very often, but wanted to drop by and let everyone know that I've finally created an art website, and started a blog at the same time.

Partly inspired by people at a local art association I joined in July asking me for a website with more of my work. Finally I've gotten around to it :)

Right now I'm in Barcelona, Spain, and went to the Picasso museum today. Saw the most gorgeous pastel portrait of his mother. I would not have recognized the work as Picasso, so I wrote about that today in my blog post...

I also recently wrote about what it was like to be involved in "jury night" with an art association that I belong to, maybe some of you will find that helpful.

Let's see if I can keep this up. I really hate taking the time to photograph my work, have piles of portraits and figure paintings from the past 5-6 years (with a break for a year in 2013), but have only a few on the website...

One thing I'm struggling with is whether to include nudes on my website. I go to two different model sessions- a clothed session, and a nude figure model session. I really could care less if the general public, and my art friends see nudes on my website, but I kind of feel a little shy about my family seeing my website with nudes on it! Any thoughts?

Take a look if you have a chance, and let me know what you think!

barrighiart.com

Turpintine45
12-11-2014, 11:08 PM
Well I have been on the move and about to go off again for Christmas but I did get a couple of paintings done this month three of them pastels and one oil. I even managed a Spotlight and I haven't done that in several months. So last goal finish sending out my Christmas cards before I leave on Tuesday!! I posted my Holiday Greetings in the Pastel gallery along with the other two.
Barbara I enjoyed the blog and the paintings of Picasso. He did some beautiful realistic heads in clay too.
Well done all of you who completed goals and I hope to join you all in the New Year again!

Mij
12-13-2014, 04:15 AM
Hello Jen. I hope you enjoy your trip and your Christmas break. Have a good one. I wish you all the best for the festive season.
jim

Judibelle
12-13-2014, 08:54 AM
Hi Jen...Good to catch a brief glance of you before you leave again...
Barbara...congrats on your website...
Anyone heard from Robert lately? Wonder if he got swamped by the storm...

I'm still battling a bout of bronchitis...second time I've had it, and it really throws me for a loop...Haven't touched the pastels at all...don't want to take a chance with the dust...

Mij
12-13-2014, 09:56 AM
Hi Judi, I have read posts from Robert on other pages but have not noted the dates. He maybe under the weather but also may be fully engrossed in his writing.
Sorry to hear you are under the weather, I hope it clears up quickly.
I had some physio on my bow shoulder yesterday but the physiotherapist is away for Christmas so I wont see him again 'til January.
Jim

julieindvik
12-13-2014, 10:40 AM
Barbara, I really enjoyed your new website/ blog. My current pastel class assignment is cubism and like you I was surprised Picaso painted that portrait..more shocked by his age! Great info! Enjoyed seeing your work too. What a nice accomplishment all around!

Judi I have seen recent posts on other boards from Robert too. I wish he'd come post over here on the dusty side!

robertsloan2
12-13-2014, 12:30 PM
Yeah, that's basically what it is. Both under the weather and engrossed in my writing, which is mindless self-entertainment rather than anything particularly creative at the moment. More like goofing around getting ideas. I may get back to the real writing project around April.

It's been really cold and rainy here in San Francisco. There were serious waves and a transformer blew because flooding from the heavy waves in the bay got to it. So I was without power for two or three hours, a bit trippy.

This morning I've got Johannes class so that's still going to pull me in, also today it's a pastel class! Going to really pay attention because it's pastel cityscapes.

Purring and cheering on everyone on their goals, even if I'm sleeping through December I know y'all are doing great!

Turpintine45
12-13-2014, 02:08 PM
Hey Robert did you see all the birthday wishes for you on this pastel talk site. Sorry the weather is getting to you.
Thanks for all the good wishes Jim, you too.
Judi hope you get well soon and have a good Christmas.

Mij
12-13-2014, 10:09 PM
Hello Robert, it is good to hear from you. Also that you are well, just keeping below the parapet with your writing and health issues. I do look forward to the day when you put these writings up on the web for download as I am always intrigued by a good story :wave: .
Jim

robertsloan2
12-15-2014, 05:09 PM
Barbara, your website is beautiful! Very professional. I would go ahead and put the nudes up but give them a tab under gallery, so people need to specifically select them. Personally I'd love to see them, I like nudes and your work is so beautiful that I know your nudes will rock. Butt icon it. If there's some way to butt icon blog entries that'd work too.

Purr yes, I did see my birthday thread! Big thanks to everyone who posted. I answered it yesterday I think, after I read it, but it might have gotten more comments now. Wow there's lots of us born in December.

I'm still sleeping a lot though, it's gotten cold suddenly. Like last year it's a lot more bitter than previous winters, must be the climate change. Very annoying since that grabs most of my body energy.

robertsloan2
12-20-2014, 06:00 PM
Busted the December Art Block today because Salvation Army showed up with this year's big Christmas box. I signed up and filled out the Wish List when they brought it around in November and got most of what was on it plus extras, a couple of good books including an old SF favorite "I am Legend," a great new deep purple bath towel I sorely needed, a hoodie, a thick soft purple velvet lap throw blanket... and a Kids Art Set plus letter size sketchbook.

So I did a WDE sketch of the roses with the crayons in the set. I draw better than I did as a kid. I couldn't fail with those supplies, but also got moved to work bigger than usual on bigger sketchbook. Maybe will start the daily art thing this month after all if I keep that handy.

Mij
12-21-2014, 05:28 AM
Well done Robert. Back to some art this month. I have done quite a few wc art scenes with the Christmas card exchange. Mostly inspired by Alan Owen who helps us wannabe watercolourists with his demo's on youtube. Still some way to go with prepping for the festive season and visitors coming next week. Today it's oven cleaning day :lol:. Oh and make up the bed in the spare room as sister is coming up for a few days on Monday.
Jim

robertsloan2
12-22-2014, 11:11 PM
Oh purr, those sound awesome, Jim! I ought to look up his videos on YouTube. Wow, you've got a life, guests and everything.

I came down with another bronchitis. Second time this winter. Ugh. December is just not going my way. If I paint again it'll be a big deal. Still want to do a Spotlight but may have to stick to watercolor or Pan Pastels or something on account of dust, bronchitis, mess etc. Not feeling like cleaning up dust now. Much drug out and sleepy.

Ari is bounding with health though, he rockets around the room celebrating his new food and happy with the world. Much lap time too and therapeutic chest purring every time I lay down.

blr2449
12-22-2014, 11:47 PM
I hope you're able to kick the bronchitis quickly. I've been the victim a couple of times and it's not fun. I also contracted whooping cough the first of this year and put me out of commission for quite a while. It's popping up here again now and I'm going to call the doctor to see if I can get a booster.

Lousy way to spend the holiday. Stay warm and drink lots of liquids, my friend.

Mij
12-23-2014, 03:00 AM
Hello Robert, I too hope you are able to fend off the bronchitis. That is no fun to have at this at time of the year.
I liked the page of stuff you completed with the low cost art stuff and the colouring in exercise of Ari.

I picked up my sister from Lewes rail station yesterday. There were lots of delays despite all of the rail networks extra efforts to ensure there were none :clear:. But she was only 15 minutes late after a 6.5 hour journey, I didn't mind as I was a few minutes late getting to Lewes with all the traffic on the road.

I've caught SWMBO's cold , sister had one last week. I tried my remedy but it hasn't worked so I'll have to try it again :rolleyes: (it involves lots of hot toddies).

I didn't put up many goals at the beginning of this month as too many were not art. That said I did manage the card exchange which meant doing some five snow scenes in w/c and one in acrylic.
jim

robertsloan2
12-23-2014, 07:36 AM
Purr thanks Barbara! Mew Jim, that bites. Hope your remedy works. I tried some Vicks Vaporub and that actually is helping, forgot I had it last time so didn't take it till late in it. I think that actually knocks it out faster.

Yay for your card exchange!

Annoying to feel so sluggish and not get any art done though.

getdusty
12-23-2014, 06:39 PM
Merry Christmas to all. Hoping Jim and Robert feel better. I'd choose hot toddies over Vicks, though. Busy getting the house ready and cookies baked. Art stuff is all put away until after Christmas.
Wishing everyone a good holiday.

Nick7
12-23-2014, 07:39 PM
Those are wonderful goals, Rob!

Here is mine: when I come home from work, I am going to sketch a bird first and only after that I will open WC :D
That's 30 birds, that would be great. Plus one pastel bird each weekend. :clap:

Hmm, I was full of enthusiasm. It seems that I am going to be covered in feathers in the next week if I want to catch up...

I hope you all will have nice holidays and everyone will be well soon :wave:

robertsloan2
12-23-2014, 09:12 PM
Purr thank you! Peg, the hot toddy is a good idea. But the Vicks did help last night and will help again tonight.

Nick, sometimes goals can get overly optimistic. Try for it anyway. You never know when you'll actually catch up! Especially if you do a lot of quick sketches.

I did my Spotlight today so that's something. At least got it in. Might go back to it later with other pastels and paper too.

Mij
12-24-2014, 05:23 AM
Merry Christmas to all. A merry Christmas to you too and to every one here.:clap:

Hoping Jim and Robert feel better. I'd choose hot toddies over Vicks, though. Me too :lol:. It did actually disappear by lunchtime, I had to have a couple to ensure it stayed gone :D
Today the grands are coming so I will be away from the keyboard until evening.
jim

Judibelle
12-24-2014, 10:20 AM
I've been absent most of the month, also with Bronchitis! Must be catching!
Anyway, the worst is over for me, and I hope Jim and Rob are healing well.
Wishing everyone a Joyous Holiday....Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Mij
12-24-2014, 03:39 PM
Hi Peg and Judi.
The grands came today and brought pasties with them :wave:and I had switched on the oven in preparation for them. And we had a fine time.
It is heartening to hear that your bronchitis is diminishing Judi.
My cold has disappeared and my shoulder is improving with the physiotherapist. I'll be looking for a new bow come January.
Jim

Nick7
12-24-2014, 07:48 PM
Hmm, I was full of enthusiasm. It seems that I am going to be covered in feathers in the next week if I want to catch up...

I hope you all will have nice holidays and everyone will be well soon :wave:

I have just counted my bird sketches and I have 24 of them :eek: I was really diligent during the first week of the month. What a nice Christmas gift to myself lol.

Merry Christmas everyone :)

We have already opened our presents. And I have got a pastel painting from my son - his first ever :clap: :heart:

robertsloan2
12-24-2014, 08:59 PM
Oh Jim, I am so glad! And your holiday sounds wonderful. Pasties and family over, that's so cool. Judi, glad you're getting over it.

Nick, YAY! Oh you will make your goal, you're just caught up, this is fantastic. I was going to suggest to do some fast studies in order to catch up but you won't need to! Just keep painting! Awesome your son gave you a pastel painting, that is so wonderful.

I'm still fighting the bronchitis and mostly sleeping. I got up after 12 hours of sleep, stayed up for maybe a couple of hours and then laid down for another sleep. I just seem to be sleeping it off. This is not the worst it could be. That kind of sleeping is going to help me knock it out, and it is making it lots easier to live with it.

Mij
12-24-2014, 09:21 PM
Oh Robert it so awful to go into the 25th with bronchitis. I do hope the Vick works and you can break the cycle. Yes sleep can repair and it will. Give it a chance.
Ok I will be off the air for a while.
Speak soon.
jim

Nick7
12-25-2014, 03:56 AM
Oh, Rob, I am sorry to hear that. Feel better soon!

Yeah, it was a really nice surprise. Instead of feeling like I have failed, I am ready to draw more. I need to remember this - how quickly the attitude can change.

ligerwolve
12-26-2014, 08:53 AM
Sorry to hear some have been sick.

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas day anyway :)

Finishing my dog commission and then I just have one painting left :) Don't think I will finish it in time but pretty good effort I think.

robertsloan2
12-26-2014, 10:25 AM
Wow! You accomplished a lot, liger! That is so cool.

Still coughing and dripping today, really tired of not being able to breathe. I'd rather be pasteling. Instead, been sleepin a whole lot.

robertsloan2
12-27-2014, 08:29 PM
Oh, ya got me! I had the reminder set for the morning on the 1st when I really need to do it on the night of the last night of the month. Thank you for picking it up! Purring at you!

I'm here and back from November's novel extravaganza, ready to shift back into art mode and hang out to paint. December is my lazy month.

Goals:
1: Have a good time
2: Get back in the habit of daily art
3: Do something for the Spotlight.

Well, I'm glad I kept this month's goals clear and simple. I think I'm doing okay on them. Did two Spotlight pieces and I sketched today, so I am getting back into daily art. Didn't say how early or late in the month I'd get back to it, only that I wanted to get back to it in December. lol

Could actually succeed at these, just need to keep it up a few days more now.

Mij
12-29-2014, 04:27 AM
Well done everyone!:clap:

Everybody achieved some goals - good well done. :thumbsup:

I managed all of my cards for the exchange, redecorated and altered this room, cleaned all the carpets in the house, entertained family and am in the midst of a 500 piece puzzle with my elder sister. It is a long time since we've done a puzzle together - some 50 odd years or so. My sister goes back on Tuesday next week (6th Jan.) so I'll probably not be into anything arty until after then.
jim

robertsloan2
12-29-2014, 09:46 AM
That sounds so awesome, Jim. Great that your sister's staying this long, makes sense to enjoy the time you have to spend with her. It's been a long time since I did one of those puzzles too, they've been around all my life but I haven't often been in situations where anyone had one.

Today I think I'll sketch a tiger, going to keep going with the sketchbook.

Mij
12-29-2014, 12:53 PM
That sounds so awesome, Jim. Great that your sister's staying this long whilst I was with my son and grands having a meal out on a farm, SWMBO took sis to a charity shop where she got a 2000 piece puzzle! and we have to do it she said before she goes home :lol:

Today I think I'll sketch a tiger, going to keep going with the sketchbook. Good for you, I'll look out for that.
jim

Nick7
12-31-2014, 07:15 PM
:) I haven't painted or drawn every day, but I have 65 sketches, small and bigger, and that makes me happy. It was looking hopeless at some point, so I have learned that I should never give up on my goals :)

robertsloan2
12-31-2014, 08:22 PM
Oh that sounds spectacular, the 2000 piece puzzle will keep you all busy! LOL Jim, going to be a bit crazy, that.

Nick, that's more than one per day! You've been going so strong! Fantastic!

I sketched a rose while I was out. Not much and isn't a tiger, but I did get in a daily sketch for the last day of the year. Ready to keep going in January!