PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Scumble December 2014

Shirl Parker
11-30-2014, 09:08 PM
Hi everyone! Welcome to the Scumble, our monthly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives! I hope you will all chime in and look forward to hearing about them.

:wave:

Shirl Parker
12-07-2014, 11:55 AM
Yesterday I came across an episode of "Comedians in a car getting coffee" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcBnicKhZL8), the YouTube series by Jerry Seinfeld. It was an interview with Howard Stern, and it was quite interesting, so I had to share. Mind you, I have never been a fan of Howard Stern, but I hope that won't keep you from watching. It is an hour and a half long, but once I started watching, I couldn't stop.

DBfarmgirl
12-09-2014, 11:50 AM
My comic relief has been the neighbors two white rabbits, Easter bunnies no longer wanted and let loose. I really only thought they would last a couple days with all the predators around, but it's been at least a month. They are like little glow sticks in the moonlight and I couldn't imagine how the owls haven't gotten them.

stapeliad
12-09-2014, 11:58 AM
oh poor bunnies! :(

DBfarmgirl
12-09-2014, 08:54 PM
the bunnies are doing surprisingly well. They have taken over part of our pasture and make regular visits to our yard- they have a rather large territory. They have become my "Where's Waldo". Bonus points when it snowed.::wink2:

stapeliad
12-10-2014, 11:45 AM
LOL that's funny. I'm glad the bunnies are doing well.

Blayne
12-10-2014, 10:21 PM
Are there going to be baby bunnies? It sounds like the two are friends. I wonder how they are staying safe and finding food.

I have one cat that is feral and won't come into the house through the cat door. She comes onto the back deck for food, so I built a cathouse (no comments, please!) and put it on the deck. It has a heating pad so she can stay warm in winter. But I always feel so sorry for her when she's out for a few days and doesn't get home before a snow. She turns up in a day or two. Last year I tracked her little footprints leading from far into the woods, over on a neighbor's property, so I didn't trespasses to see exactly where she'd been. So far, she's made it for 8 years. Fingers crossed for her and your rabbits!

stapeliad
12-11-2014, 08:07 AM
I need a pic of the cathouse.

DBfarmgirl
12-11-2014, 11:42 AM
not sure if there will be baby bunnies or if I'll have brown and white spotted mixes. They seem to be hanging out in the neighbors brush pile when it's cold. They're fat. I'm not sure what they're eating, but it must be a lot.

Funny about the stray cat. We always have a few usually feral ones around. There's a black and white tuxedo cat as of late. Unfortunately, cat is a favorite food of coyotes and they don't last long. I have found the tame ones homes, but most times you can't get near them.

Blayne
12-11-2014, 07:35 PM
I'll try to get a pic of the cathouse in daylight tomorrow!

I've live-trapped and taken for neutering about ten cats in the fifteen years I've lived here. I found the home of one and returned it. Another ran away. The others I've adopted. So sad that people drop them in rural areas thinking they will find homes. The number off family farms has drastically decreased, and there are no longer warm barns and grain sheds with lots of mice.

I'm glad your bunnies are fat. They're finding enough food somewhere. And your right, they'll likely mate with the wild rabbits.

I occasionally hear coyotes in the distance and have lost three cats mysteriously over the years. I've suspected perhaps bobcats caught them. It was so sad to have my kitties just never come home again.

Blayne
12-12-2014, 01:07 PM
Here is my cathouse. Unfortunately you cannot see the entry because I've had to move the cathouse up close to the steps so that the cat, Coyote, enters from beneath the steps, her summer hideout. The roof is hinged at the back and lifts up for me to put in the heating pad and bedding, and I've put the house on a large plant stand with rollers so I can easily move it. The cathouse looked very nice sitting in the corner of my deck but, unfortunately other cats would come by and scare her or take over her home. I've even had to remove an opossum from it! Coyote is the only cat who is small enough to slip underneath the stairs from the left side, so now that is also her entry to her house. A piece of clear Plexiglass covers the opening except for room for her to get in. Does it inconvenience me to have it there? Oh, yes! But a human's comfort and convenience are not the issues where a cat is concerned, are they?:lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2014/75339-IMG_20141212_091003.jpg

stapeliad
12-12-2014, 06:07 PM
Oh such a nice cat house! I bet she loves it. I love how it matches your house and even has roof shingles! :heart: :cat:

Blayne
12-12-2014, 09:18 PM
Thanks! I had leftover supplies of siding and shingles from when my house was built. The inside of the cathouse has a thick slab of Styrofoam insulation three walls, covered by vinyl flooring. Oh, and goose down pillows for bedding--a friend was throwing away a goose down mattress topper, and asked if I wanted the feathers. Well, of course! All that cat needs now is a crown to signify her royalty!

TBuneaux
12-17-2014, 02:47 PM
Love the cat story and the cat house Blayne. My husband and I are building a house in the country and we spend the weekends working on it. The neighbor's dog stays with us all weekend so I always make sure I have dog food and dog treats. I even make a bed for him with a dog pillow and several blankets to keep him warm at night. Sunday evenings he goes back home and then shows up again when we arrive on Friday.

stapeliad
12-17-2014, 02:54 PM
Tina- that's really funny. The dog just invites himself over every weekend? :lol:

robertsloan2
12-17-2014, 03:13 PM
Great story about the now-feral rabbits doing well. Somehow I'm not surprised. Blayne, that is so cool what you did for Coyote the outdoor cat. Nice house you built for her and clever entryway. Tina, that's neat about your part time dog! Maybe when the house is done he'll move in all week long.

Sometimes they are the ones who decide which family they belong to.

Makes me happy to keep Ari indoors though, thinking of coyotes. Where I live it's more often going to be cars preying on them but still.

TBuneaux
12-17-2014, 03:16 PM
Yes, it started with Harry, the blue tick hound mix, showing up every weekend. Then he started bringing his friend, a golden retriever. Even though Harry died the golden retriever still comes over. As soon as I get out of the vehicle I see him (we call him Shredder) running down the hill towards us wagging his tail like crazy. Our time out there wouldn't be same without him.

Harry and Shredder loved to run up and down the hills. One day my husband and I were picking blackberries and we heard a loud rumbling like a herd of cattle stampeding. I thought, "Wow those dogs are running HARD down the hill!" When I turned to look a deer, with Harry and Shredder in hot pursuit, were tearing down the hill and missed running over us by less than 10 feet. How do you explain that accident to the ER doctor and the insurance company? Run over by a deer and two dogs?!?!

Life is never boring on the farm.

TBuneaux
12-17-2014, 03:17 PM
Robert, I would love to have him full time!

robertsloan2
12-17-2014, 08:15 PM
Tina, that is so cool! Shredder sounds like a trip.

We've had cold weather the past few days after a long period of very hot inside our room. The hot water pipes for the floors above and below us or the steam pipes for the radiators run through one of my walls, it gets really hot even if I turn the radiator off. So inside my room it got very hot and sweaty most times.

Then lately it got chilly even in my room, very sudden. Ari is a colorpoint longhair, think a very shaggy Siamese with long silky sort of Art Nouveau fur. Oh I'll post his picture to make it clearer.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2014/70184-Ari_portrait_great_post.jpg
Serious fluffiness going on here, born photogenic and never lost his kitten cuteness. Even his voice is very high and kitten cute though he weighs 15 lb and is not fat. He's just big.

Anyway, when it got cold he got lively! Random cat dance, announcing his playtime with loud rowdy cat yells. Sudden obstacle course race over my power chair, the floor, me, furniture, the bed, the floor, massacre of toy mice and catnip carrots flinging them all around. Then up on the bed again for Bed Trampoline Tail Chase, which is unbelievable.

He invented that trick after we moved here because we used to have a waterbed and now have a rather firm mattress. He can bounce on it. So he jumps up and down about three feet into the air and twirls around chasing his tail while flying. I keep trying to get a video of it but by the time I've got the camera he's done and running around the room or washing himself afterward.

The other thing cold weather does is induce sudden cuddly impulses. I'll be typing away and boom, he comes flying over the arm of my chair to land in my lap, trample around a bit, cling, purr, get petted and settle there for the next three hours. He likes to know I'm always there right in reach when he gets lonely. So if I get a little too clingy on my cat, it's definitely mutual.

In hot weather he winds up draping himself flat over as much carpet as he can and spreads very thin. Does a good speed bump impression.

TBuneaux
12-17-2014, 08:51 PM
Robert - Ari is gorgeous!! And your story is so funny. I can picture him running around and flying on the bed. Aren't animals wonderful!

I was going to post a photo of Harry and Shredder to show you but couldn't figure out how to do it. I'm very new on this site. Oh well.

Blayne
12-17-2014, 10:00 PM
Tina, your story of almost getting run over was hilarious! And it sounds like Shredder is going to become a dog with two homes once you move in. One of my cats is actually a neighbor's cat who goes back and forth. Speaking of same--he just walked in the door! He's a long haired Siamese who looks like Ari except is lighter in color.

Glad you like my cathouse, Robert. Your tales of Ari's antics are wonderful. And yes, the animals decide which family they belong to!

stapeliad
12-18-2014, 09:48 AM
Ohhhh... Ari!!!!! :heart: :cat: :heart: :cat: :heart: :cat: :heart: :cat: :heart: :cat:

I love Ari.

robertsloan2
12-19-2014, 04:48 PM
Blayne, your part time cat sounds so beautiful. Ari's mother was like him but lighter, she had tabby "lynx" points and he got the dark mask from his daddy, a big black cat. Also his size. Other than the black mask some of how dark he is comes from his being 14 years old. My guess is your special friend is quite younger, Siamese and color points darken steadily from kitten onward.

Ari was mostly white as a baby kitten except he had black ears and a tiny little black mask over just his nose. A bigger striped mask is still there around the edges. His feet and tail showed a lighter gray brown when he was little too. His body was pure cream, just beautiful - and his hair was as long as it is now so he was actually about 3/4 fur. He looked good sized but it was all fluff, my fingers kept sinking deeper and deeper before I got to the kitten inside!

We domesticated them, but in the same process they domesticated us. Ari is still my best friend and best-ever roommate. He's taken over our bed for the moment and is just relaxing while I post. He sheds Cat Hairs of Inspiration at everyone again!

Blayne
12-19-2014, 08:11 PM
Robert, it's nice that you've had Ari from a kitten. And he really is playful for a mature 14-year-old! I've had some wonderful lynx points in my life. They are gorgeous cats. I thought my part-time cat was a Ragdoll, but the vet said he's probably a long-haired Siamese. He acts like a Ragdoll, because he just goes limp when you pick him up and lets you carry him with no protesting.

stapeliad
12-19-2014, 08:35 PM
Tree at Rockefeller Center this year :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2014/53789-1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2014/53789-2.jpg

and the Zamboni because that is important too

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2014/53789-3.jpg

robertsloan2
12-20-2014, 06:11 PM
Blayne, that is so cool! Ari sometimes acts like a Ragdoll too. If he's sleeping in my chair and I want to sit down, I pick him up. He dangles limp. I sit down and put him on my lap. He stays on my lap, yawns, purrs and goes back to sleep.

Domestic Long Hair Color Point are a wonderful breed. I think that Ragdolls must occasionally contribute kittens to it, since I've met them before and that sweet personality seems consistent. Or maybe the clingy snuggles come from the Siamese side. Or they get socialized to it because prettiest kitten at the shelter or in the lab. However it works, they are great cats!

Jessica, thank you for the NYC photos! Love the big Christmas tree, that is spectacular. You got incredible photos of it. That last looks like a skating rink, but why isn't anyone using it? Don't they let people go skate on it, is it just kept for shows and hockey games?

Today the Salvation Army came with the big Christmas box. I filled out a wish list and as always listed Art on my hobbies. I got most of what I had on the list, happily the big bath towel I needed and it's so thick and plush, also a hoodie and a beautiful velvety dark purple throw blanket, a couple of books that included something by an author I don't know and an old SF favorite, "I Am Legend," about the last man in the world when everyone else turned into vampires. (Beef industry soared on account of they could drink animal blood). So like, billions of vampires hunting this man to convert him, fun survival story. Can't remember if he gave in at the end.

And this...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2014/70184-Kids_Art_Set.jpg
Kids art set with a variety of mediums in a black styrene case that makes all those saturated colors really shine. Nothing better for inspiring "just play with it and don't worry about whether it's good!"

That completely busted my art block. I had to play with it. Opened the box immediately of course, this is Solstice Eve! So I scrolled up to the WDE and picked a reference, did the roses, might do more and play with the markers, colored pencils, oil pastels and my new cheap student pastels that I meant to try on something. This was just fun. Went ahead and posted it here to share.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2014/70184-12-20-2014_Crayon_Roses_WDE.jpg
WDE 12-18-2014 Crayon Roses
8 1/2" x 11"
Wax crayons on drawing paper
Photo reference by Ronnier for 12/18/2014 Weekend Drawing Event.
Complementary two-color challenge, did use lighter and darker versions of red and green to create it. Four crayons in all.

So if you get art-blocked, the solution is play with dimestore stuff for a bit! No Pressure, but if anything comes out well you can redo it in good supplies.

And with the same set, black marker pen...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2014/70184-12-20-2014_Ari_Coloring_Page.jpg
Ari Coloring Page
pen on paper

They had a hippo, elephant, snake, puppy, horse... but no cats in the little coloring book. Had to make up the gap!

stapeliad
12-20-2014, 06:23 PM
Robert- NICE supplies!!

Everyone skates at the rink in Rockefeller Center..if they want to spend the money. It is stupid-expensive and I have never done it. They are cleaning the rink with the zamboni in the pic. :)

robertsloan2
12-20-2014, 07:11 PM
Oh that's what a Zamboni is! Thank you! Makes sense no one's skating while it's being cleaned.

Having fun today with the kid stuff, may even play with the student pastels in the same sketchbook since it is one with a cover.

I can't believe it's already Solstice Eve. Tonight is the Longest Night of the year, after this it'll start getting better with days lengthening again. Or tomorrow night is the longest. Solstice is tomorrow. Either way, wow!

Happy Holidays, whatever ones you celebrate! Ari purrs at you and sheds Cat Hairs of Inspiration!

stapeliad
12-20-2014, 07:25 PM
Solstice is tomorrow, the longest night is tomorrow night. :)

Blayne
12-20-2014, 09:23 PM
Beautiful photos, stapeliad! And, Robert, I'm glad your art block is broken, because we've missed your paintings. As for Zambonis, I always think they should be something like Coney Island hotdogs topped with gelato.:)

I'm so glad there are others holding their breath, waiting for the solstice. Those precious more minutes of daylight will soon be starting!

robertsloan2
12-21-2014, 12:59 AM
Ooh yes! Really looking forward to that in the Nearly Longest Night tonight. Enjoying all the presents though. My best friend and editor bought me a new t-shirt based on the Stephen King "The Dark Tower" epic series (Which blows "Game of Thrones" right out of the water, imo.) My home carer bought me a pair of new sweat pants, so now I have two pairs again and don't have to buy clothes and am wearing clean clothes.

I tried all of the colors in the kid set on the page with the Ari coloring page piece and discovered the crayons are more saturated with pigment than the cheap oil pastels, but the cheap paint is bright and usable.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2014/70184-12-20-2014_Color_Tests.jpg
Color Tests and Coloring Cat Ari
8 1/2" x 11"
Oil Pastels, Marker Pens, Colored Pencils, Watercolors, Wax Crayons
Medium weight acid free drawing paper.

The pens wash out into washes, not waterproof, so if I do pen and watercolor should do the washes first. But all these pages are tempting and I think the little student pastels will go well on them too. Then back to the nice Rembrandts to do a gift for some friends who moved into a real apartment and a lion with a red streak in his mane for Kitten.

CM Neidhofer
12-24-2014, 11:14 PM
I haven't posted here in a while. Here's Granddaughter Saundra, now just shy of 4 1/2 yrs old! In her snuggly jammies and practicing her letters. Hard to believe she'll start Kindergarten this fall already!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Dec-2014/40633-Saundra_jammies_12-14.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Dec-2014/40633-Working_on_letters__12-14.jpg

And her most loyal kitty, Gadget. He absolutely adores her and lets her do anything with him!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Dec-2014/40633-Snowman_Gadget_12-14.jpg

Merry Christmas everybody!

robertsloan2
12-27-2014, 09:06 PM
Awww Christine, this is so cute! Your granddaughter's gorgeous and poor little Gadget looks so sweet. He really would put up with anything. He's such an adorable cat. So lovable.

Wow yeah, she's smart if she's already learning her letters. It's always good to get them started before school begins, they will have a much better love of reading if they start at home.

Blayne
12-27-2014, 10:36 PM
Such cute pics, Christine! Your Saundra is beautiful, and I love that second pic showing such a look of concentration on her face. Her cat is unbelievable, allowing that costume. He looks quite comfortable in it!

Glad you got some nice gifts, Robert! Sweats are my winter attire at home, and I started to look for some last week at the store but decided to wait for sales. I have to save money for art supplies! Your sketch of Ari is cute!

robertsloan2
12-27-2014, 10:56 PM
Gadget has such big eyes and a sweet expression peering out from the Frosty the Snowman Hood. ((Somebody pet me and tell me I'm still cute?))

He's a total sweetheart.

Blayne, I think that has to be one of the great inventions of the history of art, sweats. Seriously. It goes with the work. Simple good quality comfortable clothing you can throw in the awsh once it's been painted on. What's not to love? And of course put it off to get art supplies.

I only finally got a hat for plein air because Terry Ludwig threw it in for free with a box of pastels and some sanded Uart paper. This after three years of going out twice a month to that clinic and strolling in the garden getting rose photos and other plants and sketching. You'd think I'd have finally got it that a hat would be a good idea, but till now hadn't seen one attached to art supplies.

Shirl Parker
01-01-2015, 12:55 AM
Time for a new chat thread. Click here. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20329493#post20329493)