PDA

View Full Version : eBay/auction article?

timelady
07-01-2001, 05:01 AM
After helping Rita with some html for eBay listings... I thought maybe I could write an article on auction tips and tricks. Would that be welcome?

If so my idea would be to include a basic introduction to the idea of auctions - time periods, bidding process, escrow, etc. The realities of fees (or none, as on ebsq). Then some specific ways some of us use the features for our artwork and some basic html that people could just copy and paste.

If anyone has tips or tricks please let me know! I'll trawl through the old ebay posts too because we've had some very information discussions about this. I'm particularly interested to hear from people who work differently than I do - 1) who do lots of low-price auctions (ie. less than $30), 2) who use reserve prices, 3) who use very low minimum bids, 4) people who don't have their own website and have another way of loading images onto eBay. Good or bad experiences with any auctions...

Feedback please?

Tina.

leesmith
07-01-2001, 09:45 PM
Hi Tina!

That's a great idea you have! It is hard trying to find a post after a while, time consuming!

I've only been doing ebay since April. Have sold one antique print on BIN ( buy it now ) plus my paintings: 4 completed sales, 2 more with bids right now. The smallest piece sold was a 7 X 5 framed for $57 ( frame was given to me ) I pick up nice gilt frames in antique and junk stores sometimes, if I have just a couple dollars in them, will offer something framed because I do think it helps something sell) I think it would be really hard to get the $ back for NEW frame, plus materials, plus something for your pocket.

There are so many pieces with starting bids of less than $20! Seems like if $30 or more, people won't bid UNLESS you've been selling for a while; there are repeat buyers. I've started all of mine at $20 min bid, always use BIN, no reserve. I did list a large framed piece with a low reserve of $75.00, $20 min. bid; about 140 viewers, no bids, 1 day remaining. I will relist w/o a reserve next go round and a better pix. Have not sold anything yet that is non feline! LOL But will keep putting different subject matter up.

Genuine antique paintings by listed artists go for hundreds to thousands! I sold 1 painting on BIN 24 X 18 that was painted in less than 30 minutes for $90 within hours of listing. I was right in the process of revising the listing when someone bought it. That was my best deal thus far. I am finding out there is no accounting for what will sell but from my research: nudes, animals ( dogs, roosters, horses, cats ) ballet, florals and colorful abstracts ( all of this apart from antique paintings and well known artists ) According to ebays favorite searches, landscapes are big sellers but I don't do them well.

The tremendous influx of overseas high quality, large canvases, makes it hard to sell anything that doesn't look like an old master but they usually set a reserve with sometimes a 1 cent start bid! I list only in Fine Art because of the extra fees for a 2nd category. I don't have my own website but have one at wwar, but could not get pix to load from that site; used photopoint hosting but they started charging fees, so switched to ebay pix services. First pix free, use the standard format and usually 1 or 2 extra detail closeups, I think at 15 cents extra for each. All my buyers have been really friendly which I like, they ask for particular things and volunteer what they like; and ask to be emailed when I put something up. I don't take escrow now that my FB file is growing.

Lee

arteitaliana
07-03-2001, 03:30 AM
First I have to publicly thanks Tina for the prompt and expert help with html code information.
She was really kind and knowledgeable. :):):)
Now...I have started Ebaying out of curiosity and because I try anything once. Sales have been slow at the gallery that represents me and I have a lot of work sitting around waiting to be painter over.
(That's what I do after a few months of seeing stuff that did not sell hanging on my walls...)
Soooo...I took the plunge and posted two oils on board, one 10x8" and one 16"20". I have a lot of small pastels but I know that pastel don't ship very well, so....
I put a reserve, quite high, so there is no danger of selling anything!! But I have already received bids with more than four days to go. One of the reasons why I tried eBay, if not the most important, was to attract viewers to my site (which is happening) and maybe have some kind of feedback on my work. Summer is a very slow season,sale wise, and I may also sell something, who knows?
Tina's idea seem great. I for sure need all the help I can get. I know nothing about eBaying apart fron the fact that a good title makes a difference.
Things like beautiful, stunning, don't really attract attention while "Venice" and "Sunflowers" and "Tuscany" or "Italy" did the trick. It is also fun to go and see " what's happening to my posts" kind of thing...
I have noticed that recently the loading of the images has changed and they now have a very easy "browse" loading system can can get the images stored in your computer. The first time I had to use an external loading site which was quite good, I must say.(http://www.deadzoom.com) You may want to try it . They are very nice and send you an email right away with the URL of your image ready to paste in the Ebay image box.
Happy ebaying!!

tess2000
07-04-2001, 01:39 AM
Greets!

I've been selling (off & on) on Ebay for 4 years now. If there is one thing that really counts for a sale is including many many keywords. As many as possible. Title Describtion is where to start. I'm not saying keyword spam. Include the colors, medium, etc., where the item would be suitable such as, bath, home, office, etc., what type person may have an interest in the work such as doctor, lawyer, collector, hunters, etc. Don't forget the possibility it may be purchased for a gift for a wedding, anniversary, garden party, graduation, baby shower or nursery, and so on. Many Many Many keywords.

Heres a few more:

good clear images ~ as many as 4 or 5. Make the file size small and reduce the resolution to make them load fast. Include detail images as well.

MUCH information! ~ Not only on the item but include Short bio, artist statment, or related matter. Include something about the work in that "why I created this" or something personal about it if possible.

Include a clickable link for the bidder/looker to email the seller ~ in the auction. Nobody likes going through the hassle of getting an email address on Ebay.

If possible include shipping fees in advance ~ People seem to like a set shipping fee.

POST A DISCLAIMER ~ such as: no returns, satisfaction garanteed, non-smoking home, smoking home, payment must be recieved in 10 days and so on.

CREDIT CARDS ~ If you can use them...you're sales will increase.

PRESENTATION ~ your ad should be a reflection of your pride in the work/item. Using a classy advertisement format will reflect on your item. Try to make your work appear as if it is in a gallery or museum. Marble screen backgrounds bordered within a table format that is black. Black really seems to show off art work that is full of color.

Heres one that is personal preferance but...

Java scripts, music, and animated gifs really slow down a page loading and some java scripts will lock up a viewer browser. Use them sparingly or not at all.

Well, thats about all I can think of for now. I think this is a great idea and hope to see the finished product. Think you can use any of this info?

Best of Luck,
Tess

timelady
07-04-2001, 05:43 AM
Thanks for all the great tips! Keep 'em coming!!! :)

Tina

leesmith
07-04-2001, 11:24 AM
Hey Tina again,

I read Rita's and Tess's post, very right on! Since the title is limited I put the best keywords in there, that is the words I believe buyers will search on. Then in the description, I will add more; as to style ( realism, impressionistic, ) I know some people search title only, myself I search titles and descriptions.

Tess mentioned about "gussying" up the ad with black or marble backgrounds. I haven't the faintest clue of how this is done. If you do the article, if there is a SIMPLE way to get these special effects in, maybe you could include that in your article. I did learn a little html from artistnation tutorial, that helped a lot.

tess2000
07-04-2001, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by leesmith
Hey Tina again,

I read Rita's and Tess's post, very right on! Since the title is limited I put the best keywords in there, that is the words I believe buyers will search on. Then in the description, I will add more; as to style ( realism, impressionistic, ) I know some people search title only, myself I search titles and descriptions.

Tess mentioned about "gussying" up the ad with black or marble backgrounds. I haven't the faintest clue of how this is done. If you do the article, if there is a SIMPLE way to get these special effects in, maybe you could include that in your article. I did learn a little html from artistnation tutorial, that helped a lot.

Dear LeeSmith,

Another thing to consider is that you don't have to type out the entire word for the search engines. You can type in impress*real*water*detail*art* and so on, in this way and you will get more hits plus the engine skips the * character and you can get more letters. I don't know if they corrected this or not but used if you typed in the describtion with *in between the words it will cause the listing to "wrap" the text and this really shows off in the catagory listing.

Do you use an HTML editor to post the ad or do you type it in the describtion box? If you use an editor, which one do you use? If you need the code I can send that and also include
Also if you use an HTML editor you can copy and paste the entire page into the describtion box on Ebay to list it. Just besure to add the [/Blockquote]at the very top or it will indent and look askew when posted.

I was thinking on this last night and I forgot to mention the "Packaging & Shipping" Department as well. There are several little tricks that will get you repeat and outside business in that area as well. Packaging & Shipping is just as important as any other areas of selling on Ebay. I'll get a few things together on that and post later on.

Let me know if you type in the description or if you use an HTML editor.

Regards,
Tess

leesmith
07-04-2001, 03:31 PM
Hi Tess,

Thanks for the extra posting....

I usually set up a basic description in MS Word which I revise for each different listing. Then I copy and paste it into the ebay listing, adding html to particular areas.

I don't know what a html editor is! LOL I am always interested in ANYTHING that is a timesaver but I warn everybody, I am not a computer whiz, learned mostly by trial and error, etc.

Thanks!

Lee

tess2000
07-04-2001, 04:34 PM
Hi Tess,

Thanks for the extra posting....

I usually set up a basic description in MS Word which I revise for each different listing. Then I copy and paste it into the ebay listing, adding html to particular areas.

I don't know what a html editor is! LOL I am always interested in ANYTHING that is a timesaver but I warn everybody, I am not a computer whiz, learned mostly by trial and error, etc.
Thanks!

Lee

I have Microsoft Word 97 but I don't use it much anymore. I use Netscape Composer BUT...

In MICROSOFT WORD when you create an HTML document under File/New/Webpages. You can select Blank Web Page.

Then under Format/Background/ select Fill Effects.
You should see several images there of differant "textures" and one I have is a white marble.

If you click once on the white marble and then click OK , you will see that on your document.

Now you can insert your table by clicking Table/Insert. You will see some window pane looking things and just drag your mouse on however big you want it. You add, combine, or take away any of the "cells" (separated spaces) as needed later on.

Then you will see the lines on top of the white marble.

If you click INSIDE the table area and then RIGHT mouse click you will see a window popup and then select TABLE PROPERTIES. You will then see BACKGROUND. By default it is set to auto and it appears black. Click the arrow by the black color and select the BLACK color and then click ok.

To change the color of the text you will have to move your mouse to where the text starts and then select Format/Font and select your font and color.

There are more options if you RIGHT mouse click within your documents. To me its easier than trying to remember all those buttons.

Once you complete the HTML file you can then select VIEW/HTML SOURCE. Your screen will show all the HTML code there. Then select Edit/Select all. Then Edit/Copy. Then paste all that into the description box on Ebay.

Just remember to add the "[/blockquote]" without the quotation marks at the very beginning of the HTML text on Ebay, or your document will be off center.

Let me know if your word will do all this. I am just assuming you are using Microsoft Office 97 and the version of Word that comes with that.

Best Regards,
Tess

P.S. I forgot to mention that your background images have to be uploaded to your server as well. Then you have to include the "path" (place where the images are ie: http://www.somepictureplace.com/yourpictures/thebackgroundimage.gif or whatever.

The reason for tables is that you can keep information that is repeated and its easier to just change the area for the item. A template of sorts. Plus it looks much nicer and you can arrange the information as needed within each "cell block" (square space)

boy, I am draggin bootie today! It's hot! but I guess turtles just have to do that:D

arteitaliana
07-05-2001, 02:30 AM
:clap: I went as far as the white marble...a little name at the top "Rita Monaco" and I did also upload the whole thing on the browser...then I died a slow death strangled by the grid, the squares, the arrows that moved them, the right mouse click, the left mouse click....:angel:
I am too old for this....or too stupid or both.:crying:
It was fun anyway, maybe I will try again:evil:

tess2000
07-05-2001, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by Rita Monaco
:clap: I went as far as the white marble...a little name at the top "Rita Monaco" and I did also upload the whole thing on the browser...then I died a slow death strangled by the grid, the squares, the arrows that moved them, the right mouse click, the left mouse click....:angel:
I am too old for this....or too stupid or both.:crying:
It was fun anyway, maybe I will try again:evil:

I can do a formatted one for you and post it on the web then you could download it and change what you need? At least you could see the workings of it.

Tess

arteitaliana
07-05-2001, 11:21 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

tess2000
07-05-2001, 03:25 PM

Ok.. here it is...

http://users.ticnet.com/tess2000/rita/arita.html

This is just a sample page but at least you can pull it into Word or any editor for HTML and make all the changes needed. I place instruction text in some areas that can be deleted and you can use your own text there.

Just make sure you change the "path" (place where your images are stored on the web) as I have uploaded a few to my site. You will see the address when you open it in word.

I guess just mainly poke around and see what everything does and how to change it.

Oh.. one more thing... when this opens in word it may appear to be more blocks that it actually is. That is because Word chops it up into printable pages. So don't be confused when you see that. It will look like it is now when posted on the web.

Let me know if you need more help.
Tess

CarlyHardy
07-05-2001, 10:16 PM
I've been selling thru EBay since April and the sales have been really good for me. But I did some research first and decided just what kind of art, size, medium, and prices I would use in the auctions. As some have mentioned before...not all art sells on EBay, and there is so much of it, that you can get lost in the multitude!

I decided to paint smaller watercolors in abstract and representational styles that I could start at a lower bid and hopefully get more for...but the first bid is my selling price! I do not use a reserve. Most bidders don't like reserve auctions (I don't when I'm the bidder!)

I set a shipping/insurance fee in the description for US bidders, but international bidders pay actual costs. I ship Priority USPS with my painting rolled and slipped into a tube. Insured and always with a Delivery Confirmation (this is important if the buyer does a charge back on BillPoint!) Some may not be aware but you can get free tubes, boxes, tape and mailing labels from the USPS by using their online ordering service. They will deliver supplies to your door!

Title is important!!! Use as many descriptive words as possible and remember you only have 45 spaces (not characters). The title must relate to your artwork. Using key words in a string that don't relate is considered key word spamming and EBay will get you! Create an identify that you use in your title....mine is CARLYART...and you can find all my auctions by using my "keyname" in search! If I have a painting that doesn't sell, and I want to relist it...I will always change the title! and take a good look at my description too. Sometimes just a change of name on the painting makes a difference!

Summer months are typically slow for sales at EBay. I've noticed a slow down in viewers since mid June but this doesn't mean you won't sell. I find that the viewers who are online now are buyers! not just lookers. So times of the year can effect sales as well as other factors.

My main tip would be...be consistent! With your identity. With your artwork. With your starting prices. With your purchasing features.
Bidders do look for consistency! They want to trust you as an artist who is selling your work outright and sometimes, it takes a few months to develop that trust. I have had repeat buyers just in the few months I've been selling and its really fun to see repeat bidders! You know that they trust you as an artist and as a business person....and you can trust them as buyers!

I've used an html editor from www.etusa.com which is super easy!
All you have to do is type in the information you want in your description...and when you click Create...its ready to be pasted into the ebay form! Then you can use the same file over and over...just changing titles and stuff about the artwork. I use the Ebay feature for uploading one painting (free) and I also put a pic in my description (from my artistnation site). I figure its good to have picture resources from more than one location!

Hope this helps with your article!
carly

Sumafra
07-05-2001, 10:50 PM
Wow, what a lot of fantastic information here. Thanks everyone. I've tried listing on Ebay a few times but no look so far. I don't even get a lot of 'hits'. I must rethink my titles and descriptions to include words that one might search on. I think that might be part of the problem. God knows my prices are low enough, I'm practically giving it away just to get things going. thanks again for all the info.:clap:

leesmith
07-05-2001, 11:44 PM
Thanks again Tess for that great information!

I'm going to print it out and when I have some time and my brain is clear ( LOL ) I'M going to try that. My computer has windows millineum and I'm sure it has lots of stuff I have no idea about.

Has anybody checked out Jeff Cohen on ebay? He gets decent prices on all of his work. That should be inspiring everybody to keep at ebaying. I have no doubt that people are buying his name; he puts a wide variety up, realism to expressionist. I notice he uses the BRIEFEST of descriptions.

A lot of the info I've been putting in my listings is redudant like the ship to US, payment methods accepted. That all shows up in red at the top just below the bid information. Check out also Heidi Shaulis ( ebay name: ricatart) She's from Rhode Island.

Sandi Byer seldom lists on ebay, but has sold 2 paintings for over a thousand each. Cats no less! She does super realism.

tess2000
07-06-2001, 12:07 AM
Thanks again Tess for that great information!

I'm going to print it out and when I have some time and my brain is clear ( LOL ) I'M going to try that. My computer has windows millineum and I'm sure it has lots of stuff I have no idea about.

Has anybody checked out Jeff Cohen on ebay? He gets decent prices on all of his work. That should be inspiring everybody to keep at ebaying. I have no doubt that people are buying his name; he puts a wide variety up, realism to expressionist. I notice he uses the BRIEFEST of descriptions.

A lot of the info I've been putting in my listings is redudant like the ship to US, payment methods accepted. That all shows up in red at the top just below the bid information. Check out also Heidi Shaulis ( ebay name: ricatart) She's from Rhode Island.

Sandi Byer seldom lists on ebay, but has sold 2 paintings for over a thousand each. Cats no less! She does super realism.

Your Welcome,

My system is so old I have to set my wall paper to a Geritol Image just to get it going in the AM. :)

Jeff Cohen: I always wondered how these Featured Plus Auctions do.... wonder if thats the trick? But hey, the work is awesome!

Campsart sells on Ebay. His work is really fantastic but I have no idea of how to weigh it as in work vs selling price. I sure do admire his work though and think it should be selling for much more. Like in the thousands as well.

I think I had mentioned in a previous Ebay post that Cats really do well on Ebay. Don't ask me why but I guess there are a lot of cat people out there. Gray cats are good and also those orange or gray tabbies. I have several previous bidders inquire about my cats to buy but of course I can't sell those or reproduce them. But cats really do well year round.

I was also wondering how many artist on WC that list on Ebay would be interested in providing a link to other WC artist auctions. As far as I know there's no rules against that as long as its within Ebay and it may help with exposure.

In august the sales on Ebay will bloom! Be ready.

Cordially,
Tess

arteitaliana
07-06-2001, 02:34 AM
Thanks to all the great people at WC !!
I have understood a few things:
1) I am a very green eBayer
2) I have to produce art just for eBay
3) Jeff Cohen is a very smart guy plus a good artist and I think that the combo works.
4)Bidders don't like reserve prices, it's better a more consistent minimum bid. I put a high reserve ($200-300) and a low minimum bid (5-10 dollars).
I cannot sell at eBay, nor I would want to, paintings that sell in the gallery for 500-800 dollars, plus the gallery would get really p...off!!

Tess's template is great. I really am thankful...let's see if I can make it work, now...

My first post at ebay has concluded with two bids and no sale. My second has 6 bids and it will be concluded the same way. No sale. I am surprised that I got bids anyway. I also got a lot more hits on my page which was one of my intents.I spent $13.50 (canadian) and had a lot of fun. :clap:

timelady
07-06-2001, 06:07 AM
This is precisely why I gave up on minimum bids and reserve prices. For my auctions, I've decided it's easier just to list the minimum price as the price I want, usually with the buy it now price the same. I think a lot of buyers are put off by reserve prices, myself included and I won't bid on something with a reserve.

It's works okay... although I'd love to find better ways. I think linking to other WetCanvasers would be fantastic! I'll see if I can find a way to set an html link based on a search term. I think we'd all have to put "WetCanvas" in our descriptions somewhere there for it to work. :)

Tina.

timelady
07-06-2001, 10:39 AM
Browsing through the ebay discussion boards I found this very useful site posted by one of the eBay guys. I haven't gone through it completely, but it's his own tips on images and listings. :)

Bob's tips (http://silver.bay-town.com/bobal/indexb/bobstips2.html)

Tina.

leesmith
07-06-2001, 02:52 PM
I've tried to include a link to a Jeff Cohen listing; his wife Leslie also paints! He generally keeps a cat on along with his other subject matter. I hope the link works:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1442217070

I have a small announcement.....I just sold my FIRST non-CAT painting on ebay as of today on Buy It Now! Didn't get what I should have, but hubby said, " lose that, it needs to go". :evil:

Plus the same buyer just bid on my cat painting and is the current high bidder. This is the kitty I posted at WC in Animal and Wildlife, "Especially for Animal, A Tame Kitty." I don't know which helped the other to sell!

This was a really large kitty painting I offered as a kind of "thank you" to ebayers. Large doesn't necessarily mean a bigger price. I can't afford to put that much time into a painting but occasionally will offer a larger painting. Tina has mentioned previously that some items don't get bids till almost the last day, I've noticed last minute sniping from a new bidder ( against ebay rules but it happens all the time ). You gotta love those last minute wars that drive the price up in minutes.

I like the idea about the WC link...:D

Lee

tess2000
07-06-2001, 02:54 PM
Dear Tina,

I was thinking of just putting a "see my WET CANVAS friends art available on Ebay!" in text link.
Then past the search code in for wetcanvas artist (such as WCAG (wet canvas artist group) to get all the artist auctions current listings.

I'm posting this link here to see if it works outside the Ebay format so if it doesn't I'll know. Excuse my test site please moderators but this is the only way I know of to really test this remotely.

It shouldn't find any items on Ebay unless those who list include the text WCAG. Like, I am a member of the WCAG and this work is blah blah blah. The the search should find it.

<a href="http://search-desc.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&pb=&ebaytag1=ebayreg&ht=1&query=WCAG&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&srchdesc=y">See
my wet canvas friends art on Ebay</a>

Tess

timelady
07-06-2001, 04:35 PM
Sounds great! I'm still waiting to figure out if a link like this is allowed. It's really difficult to tell. Only one reply to my post on ebay so far though...I'm guessing I have to wait for some of the serious ebayers to get home from work in the US. :)

Today's the first time I've heard the term "sniper". From what I read on the boards, it means someone who watches what other people are bidding on, then outbids at the last minute. I didn't think there was anything wrong with legitately waiting until the last moments to bid. It's the watching of others bid lists that seems to be the discouraged part. I'm not sure.

Tina.

tess2000
07-06-2001, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by timelady
Sounds great! I'm still waiting to figure out if a link like this is allowed. It's really difficult to tell.
Today's the first time I've heard the term "sniper". From what I read on the boards, it means someone who watches what other people are bidding on, then outbids at the last minute. I didn't think there was anything wrong with legitately waiting until the last moments to bid. It's the watching of others bid lists that seems to be the discouraged part. I'm not sure.

Tina.

Dear Tina,

As long as these links are only using a feature of Ebays that is already in effect I don't see how that can be against any of thier policy's. Plus the link will only work if this bidder is already logged into Ebay (the cookie thing). AND since these are all auctions within Ebay that would only mean more dollars for them.

This select group is not selling in relation to any commercial website and there is no third party involved. No one will know what the WCAG is for but us. In fact we don't even have to mention Wet Canvas unless we want to but just include the letters somewhere in the ad. Since EBSQ was bombed out because it is a commercial site and not affiliated with Ebay I thought this might work. I don't see it as being any differant than providing a link to another Ebay seller friends auctions.

Of course we would have to test this and get some of the sellers to post around the same time to see if the search results actually work. I do know that Ebay only searches the first 500 words of the describtion box so when posting the WCAG text would have to be at the top in the keywords part of the HTML document.

If anyone wants to give this a go they could let you know and you could organize a post date for a trail run. Maybe in a chat room or something? What do you think?

Sincerely,
Tess

pixelscapes
07-06-2001, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by tess2000
I have Microsoft Word 97 but I don't use it much anymore. I use Netscape Composer BUT...

In MICROSOFT WORD when you create an HTML document under File/New/Webpages. You can select Blank Web Page...

AUUGH, don't do that! Word is not a HTML editor -- it will produce messy, slow to load, and probably completely malfunctioning HTML. Even if it looks okay in your own browser, you can bet it still won't work for most other people out there (people with different versions, or using Netscape...)

Netscape Composer is almost as bad, only the other way around.

I mean, sure, it's only an auction and maybe it's no big deal... but wouldn't you rather make it easier for viewers to see your auction? Without it crashing their browser or displaying incorrectly/unreadably?

Wallpaper background on Ebay auctions almost always seem like a bad idea to me anyway... especially patterned backgrounds that make it impossible to read the actual text.

And keep in mind, other people may be using a different size of browser font or resolution than you... due to failing eyesight or simply a different monitor. Most editors like the ones described above are extremely unfriendly to anybody whose computer isn't exactly like yours.

-=- Jen "Headaches..." de la Cruz

timelady
07-07-2001, 04:38 AM
Tess,
I agree completely! I think it should fit within the rules, but just am waiting for some positive opinions from the hardcore ebay community. :)

I did a test on the search... taking the search result URL, then adding 'wetcanvas' to the text of one of my current auctions, then click the same search result URL later. And my auction was added. So the search does update, which is good. :) So we just need to decide what term to use. I hadn't ever seen the abbreviation WCAG before to be honest, but it works for me. I say we start a new thread with the exact html link for people to copy and paste. Maybe post it over on the cafe too, since it is a sort of web ring?

This is great!
Tina.

tess2000
07-07-2001, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by timelady
Tess,
I agree completely! I think it should fit within the rules, but just am waiting for some positive opinions from the hardcore ebay community. :)

I did a test on the search... taking the search result URL, then adding 'wetcanvas' to the text of one of my current auctions, then click the same search result URL later. And my auction was added. So the search does update, which is good. :) So we just need to decide what term to use. I hadn't ever seen the abbreviation WCAG before to be honest, but it works for me. I say we start a new thread with the exact html link for people to copy and paste. Maybe post it over on the cafe too, since it is a sort of web ring?

This is great!
Tina.

The reason I picked the short version of WCAG was so it could be added to a title easily without having to sacrifice to many spaces. Also its a unigue group of letters that would'nt be found on Ebay because its not a word. There may be a three letter combination that may work well also. Of course I agree it should be brought to a vote and you could use the poll thing for that after taking in some suggestions from sellers here. So a new thread could also serve this purpose as well.

Keep me posted on the progress ok?
Tess

tammy
07-07-2001, 05:39 PM
Ok, about the link thingy. I'm also a ebsqer. The link thing is kind of complicated. Ebsq also had a link to other ebsq artists auctions within ebay itself. Apparently some of the upper folks at ebay said it was ok and then others said it wasn't so I myself am still very confused about the whole link thing in the Item description area of ebay.

The bottom line I'm getting is that you can have a very small graphic yet it can not link to anything. ( Don't quote me, just the vibes I'm getting about it)

Links on your *Me*page on ebay are a whole different story though.

Ps, Not sure if its kosher etc to post a link to and about this subject that's over at ebsqart message board here but if you want to know more email me and I'll give you the link.

tammy
07-07-2001, 06:03 PM
BTW, Tina I just sold a painting on ebay for $1.00. :D
Well, you did mention under $30.00 Auctions, mine almost always are. The most I've ever got is 25.00 for a 16" x 20" Canvas.
:(

I'm starting to raise my minimum bids though just to see what happens.
On 2 of my Oils, I had up for $50.00 each and the auctions just ended with not many hits and no bids, but I don't think it hurts to try, like I did a search on ebay once for the highest prices on art and a few were asking a minimum of Thousands of dollars yet were getting bids for under 100.00 or around there.
It's amazing sometimes what a little research will do.... so would it really hurt to experiment and try minimiums like that? Lots of times folks on WC and other artists have said that sometimes we ask too little for Art and that it will sometimes turn buyers away.
Of course, I intend to paint something more than halfway decent to try this. :)

Sumafra
07-07-2001, 06:34 PM
Wow, I just got my first bid on an Ebay auction. I guess you just can't give up, sooner or later, there will be a buyer.

Next time, I'm planning to revamp my titles and descriptions. Maybe that will help. Presently, I get very few hits so I must find a way that people will be able to find my work on there with 'key' words. Appreciate all the great advice here.

PS: Well the auction has ended and I got 2 bids and the sale is being processed right now. How exciting for me. Hope there will be many more. ;)

Paintbrush74
07-07-2001, 08:15 PM
Speaking of key words, if you're into make-believe art, the word "fantasy" seems to draw a lot of hits. If your piece is truly beautiful, it won't hurt to put that in the title either, especially if it has a lot of contrasting, eye-catching color. I put that description in one of mine, and someone bought it about an hour after it listed, with buy it now. It was only a flat 8x10 that didn't take very long to paint, so I put the buy it now price at $20.00. My son chided me and said that I should have asked more, but I'm still an unknown at Ebay, and am trying to build trust.:angel:

arteitaliana
07-07-2001, 11:49 PM
My eBay report:
2 listings closed with no sales.
The first one got two bids: high one $10.50 (reserve was $200)
The second got 19 bids and went up to $101.00 (reserve was $300)
This shows two things: my pieces are of interest and my reserve was too high. (Also it cost more money to list with reserve)
I listed two more pieces: One with a minimum bid of $175 and the other is $195.No bids yet. They are large oils that I am tired of seeing hanging on my wall and were slated for destruction.
This is fun !!
Plus I got a lot of hits on my home page.
I have a question: everybody is talking about hits...how do you see them? The hit counter (Honesty Counter) provided by eBay never works so I don't even bother anymore. I am listing in eBay Canada. Should I list in eBay US? What is the difference? I noticed that my listings appear in eBay US anyway....and I think it cost more to list over there.

:confused:

tess2000
07-08-2001, 12:49 AM
Greets Folks again,

I just found this auction and don't have a clue about the seller or the bidder but if you get a chance, check it out and let me know what you think.

Hints:
1.)There are still 7 days left on this 10 day auction.
2.) There is a reserve.
3.) There are now 48 bids on this auction which triggers a flamming HOT icon in the listing.
4.) At present there are two bidders of which the first bidder has bid 47 times.
5.) There is a buy it now price at 399.00
6.) The bid has stopped at exactly 100.00

Extremely slick selling tactic or do you think there may be some ebay rules being manipulated?

Heres that link:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=1444603665

Tess

fmarsh
07-08-2001, 03:44 AM
I have a question: everybody is talking about hits...how do you see them? The hit counter (Honesty Counter) provided by eBay never works so I don't even bother anymore. I am listing in eBay Canada. Should I list in eBay US? What is the difference? I noticed that my listings appear in eBay US anyway....and I think it cost more to list over there.

:confused: <p>

Rita I looked at your 2 old auctions and the counter seems to have worked OK. The Venice piece shows 114 hits and Sunflowers 192. What does not seem to be working is that Honesty counters used to have a page which summarised all your auctions- thats gone belly up this week. Your numbers are about right if I compare with my numbers - with sunflowers towards the top of what I normally get - unless it has "nude" in the title. Then you can get 200 -300 hits. So I am going to try nude apples, nude trees etc.:D <p>

We are in a similiar situation as Canada & have listed in The Australian Ebay & the US. We are lucky as we get listing in both versions for the one fee. My comparison was that the hits were about the same - but I get more bids when it is in US Dollars. even from Australian and English buyers. About 50% of lookers are from the US, and I think that there is a greater comfort level in buying using US Dollars. Also if you want to accept credit cards,(without becoming a merchant) the systems are mainly in US dollars. Dont forget that you can accept credit card payments (in US Dollars) using your artistnation account. You won't get as many bids without credit cards.<p>

Also noticed that your new auctions are limited to Canadian and European buyers - did you intend to exclude those from US and Australia? Its a big market you have excluded from. You can change that if you do so before you receive your first bid.<p>
Fred

timelady
07-08-2001, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by tess2000
Greets Folks again,

I just found this auction and don't have a clue about the seller or the bidder but if you get a chance, check it out and let me know what you think.

Hints:
1.)There are still 7 days left on this 10 day auction.
2.) There is a reserve.
3.) There are now 48 bids on this auction which triggers a flamming HOT icon in the listing.
4.) At present there are two bidders of which the first bidder has bid 47 times.
5.) There is a buy it now price at 399.00
6.) The bid has stopped at exactly 100.00

Extremely slick selling tactic or do you think there may be some ebay rules being manipulated?

Heres that link:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=1444603665

Tess

sounds normal to me... the bidders have obviously placed "proxy" bids. This means you put in the MAX you're prepared to bid. If someone outbids you eBay will automaticlly place a higher bid for you by the increment (usually 50 cents or $1). If BOTH bidders have placed proxy bids there will be a succession of alternate $1 bids placed automatically by eBay until it reaches the higher of the proxy bid amount. This will give a high bid count but saves the actually bidders the trouble of sitting there and putting in outbids 40-odd times in a row. :)

In fact, 48 bids to get to $100 sounds just about right...imagining every outbid was $1 between 2 people = 48 x 2 = $96.

To Rita, I don't use the reserve because of the fees. Glad you got bids though! I've never sold anything over $180 on ebay. And about 3 total that were over $100. It's frustrating because we do so much larger work with more! I finally decided to add eBay to my working practice. I do small works (acrylic paintings and monoprints) specifically to market on eBay. Not necessarily worse work, just things I set my mind to keeping small or just a single work (rather than my series). I work towards a $50 pricetag. :) It's not much but I'd rather sell 4 of those a month than nothing, still selling the occassional item for $120.

Tina.

arteitaliana
07-08-2001, 12:54 PM
Fred

I never saw the counter. It always appeared as a broken link. Even in other pages.
I say I ship to Canada and US... I wonder why it shows only Canada. I checked last night and it did say Canada and US....
How did you find me on eBay?
I just received the first bid today on a relisted item. This time I had no reserve but a higher minimum: $99.
I thinking about the credit card payment option, I am thinking, I am thinking....
I wrote to the 3 highest bidders saying that the item was going to be relisted with no reserve. It worked, one of them just placed the first bid. So, I guess I have made my first sale ....
:clap:

Sumafra
07-08-2001, 01:56 PM
Rita, I too have listed with Ebay Canada. The fees may be a little cheaper and you're included in the US autions anyway. So that made sense to me. Plus the fees are in Canadian funds which is good for us. I listed my paintings in Canadian funds but I think that may have been a mistake. Next time, I'll list in US funds. Anyway, I have just made my first sale on Ebay and am very pleased. Hope there will be many more.

Tina & Tess, I looked up that auction and also thought that there was something funny there. Thanks Tina for explaining it. What I don't understand however is howcome the one bidder shows 47 bids and the other shows only 1. Don't they show each and every bid? Thanks. I'm still trying to figure it all out.

tammy
07-08-2001, 04:50 PM
I wrote to the 3 highest bidders saying that the item was going to be relisted with no reserve. It worked, one of them just placed the first bid. So, I guess I have made my first sale ....

Rita, I hate_to_tell_you_this but it sounds as if you are picking up the tools of the trade of a successful Ebayer!

tammy
07-08-2001, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Sumafra
. Thanks Tina for explaining it. What I don't understand however is howcome the one bidder shows 47 bids and the other shows only 1. Don't they show each and every bid? Thanks. I'm still trying to figure it all out.

Not sure but I think it probably means that the one with 47 bids is the proxy bidder and the other one just made a normal bid over the highest bid at the time considering that so far that one is the last bid.

leesmith
07-08-2001, 06:13 PM
Rita,

I found your auctions in US by clicking Antiques and Art, Fine art then paintings, entered Monaco in search key and yours came up. If I wanted to see paintings of sunflowers, I would have entered sunflowers in the search, if sunflowers was in your title it would come up. Once you have repeat buyers they will be searching for your listings by either your name or your ebay ID. I save my favorite "sellers" in "My ebay" under Favorites.

I found another section at ebay last night that I don't recall ever seeing, it was broken down by theme; such as animals, still life, etc. There weren't as many listings in each of these categories because a lot of sellers do not put these key words in title. The themes search seems to work only if the category word is in the title, i.e. animals or still life. I'll have to see if I can find the theme search again. The key to getting hits up is to try to think like a buyer. I can do a search "all of ebay" or search specific categories. My cat painting is listed in Fine Art: Painting but if a buyer was searching from the theme page and entered "cat painting" in search key my cat painting did not come up because I had not included the word "painting" in the title. If I go to paintings and enter "cat" in search my painting shows up. If I were searching "all of ebay" and entered "cat" into search, EVERYTHING ( plates, figurines, paintings ) that had cat in the title would come up! That was an eyeopener for me to include "cat" and "painting" in my title EVERY listing.

arteitaliana
07-08-2001, 07:05 PM
Lee:

thanks, I am careful to put words in my title that will show up in searches. For example I had titled one of my listings "Melograno" (I title all my paintings in Italian) I realized that nobody would search for that word and I changed it to "Pomegranate". I am careful to include "still life" or Italian or Tuscany. Unfortunately the number of characters is very small, so it's difficult at times. Anyway I am on the way to my first sale. I will start painting smaller pieces just for eBay. I am getting closer to join PayPal...:D

carly
07-08-2001, 07:10 PM
I won't go back and pull out quotes...that would take me too long!

In reply to the # of bids appearing...when two bidders are using proxy bids against one another...only one of the bidders will appear..the high bid each time. Only high bids appear. Last night I had a painting close with 2 bids...but only one bidder. He had placed a later proxy bid against any last minute snipers!

In regards to links on your actual auction page in the description. EBay policy has really been cracking down lately on links that are not allowed. The only links they will allow are 1.a link to your AboutMe Page, 2.a link to your email addy, and 3. a link to a third party source which provides a service to the auction itself. These last can include link to Payment Services like PayPal, BillPoint, BidPay or others. Link to Honesty.com which provides your counters, or other company that does that. Link to a company where you use a template for creating your description page. NO OTHER LINKS ARE LEGAL.

A link that would take you to other auctions is not allowed on the description page even if its to a search within the ebay listings themselves. I'm also with the EBSQ group (which is an inner group of linked artists self representing on ebay) and some members have received warnings and had auctions pulled because of these links.

You can however, have such links on your AboutMe Page. Right now you can use links to your websites and to other sites on the About Me Page. Eventually I think the links will be limited on that page also. Ebay is focusing on stopping the "free" advertising that they feel many people are taking advantage of with links. In some ways this is good, but for small business artists like me (who is a drop in the bucket at ebay)its bad. Joining with other artists and sharing links is not only being discouraged but is being outlawed.

I use my 'art' id in all my titles and my buyers are using it for search. I also use the 'ebsq' in my title which means my art will come up in about 700-1000 instead of the usual 14,000 paintings at ebay. I do feel this has helped my visibility a great deal.

I would love for all of us at WetCanvas to group together under some type of banner! Let me know if I can help with ideas!

Just wanted all of you to know that after months of selling from $19 to $60 (smaller watercolors) I posted an oil on canvas which sold for $297 last night. This is very encouraging to me to know that I can put some higher priced items out there and they will be bid on!
carly

tammy
07-08-2001, 07:45 PM
Carly has it right on the button. Unfortunately the Link (I believe it was Tess ) proposeing would be ebay illegal on item listing page. Think it may be ok on your ebay Me page. For more info here is a link to the Ebay Workshop held on this very subject.
It is time consuming to read through but informative.

http://forums.ebay.com/dws?128@187.5o95apr0VkL^0@.eebb5a8

leesmith
07-08-2001, 08:59 PM
Congrats! Carly, excellent sale!

Lee

tess2000
07-08-2001, 10:24 PM
Ok then, What about include the text SEE MY WCAG FRIENDS AUCTIONS ON MY ABOUT ME PAGE? Then place another clickable link to the ABOUT ME PAGE within the auction.

That would still key on WCAG and also take the viewer to the link?

Would that be allowed?

Also on that auction. My point was that I think it is an extremely slick selling tactic that doesn't actually break any rules since the reserve is never met. Which obligates no one to actually win the auction but does trigger the HOT flag in the catagory listings. Any views on that? I mean, I admit it is a bit sideways but still within the rules. right?

Tess

P.S. Where there is a will... there is a way...

leesmith
07-08-2001, 11:29 PM
Does anybody have a preference for Billpoint or PayPal?

I signed up for both. I have paid for purchases with Paypal via credit card.

I can't recall why, but I had to deposit $100 to fund my PayPal account. I had an international buyer that tried to pay by credit card thru paypal and it would never go thru, she had no prob with Billpoint. Plus I had emailed paypal to see what the prob was but it took them several days to get back to me with a generic type email, with possible reasons but I had checked them already i.e. they never gave me a possible reason why her payment failed to go thru. My buyer's first attempt thru Billpoint didn't go thru either, but when I contacted Billpoint, they went right into my account and said I needed to reset my Preferences pages to allow payment from international buyers. I did and it worked just fine. I went ahead and transferred my $100 in paypal back to my business account and plan to close paypal. I also seem to have an easier time finding info at Billpoint.

I need to refresh myself on the $ limits that I can receive each month; seems like this may have been why I had to deposit $100 with paypal. It was just sitting there, I could have used it to make purchases with but prefer using a credit card.

I put all this in for Rita. :)

And regarding Tess's link suggestion, if a link is not permitted by Ebay, couldn't we just include a statement in the listing description something like: " I am part of Wet Canvas Artists Group ( WCAG ). To see auctions by other WCAG artists, enter WCAG in the search key."

Of course, we would need to check with Scott to make sure that these suggestions don't violate Wet Canvas rules.:)

fmarsh
07-09-2001, 05:48 AM
Fred

I say I ship to Canada and US... I wonder why it shows only Canada. I checked last night and it did say Canada and US....

This is a bit odd. It appears that sometimes one sees different shipping information in the same auction, depending on which Ebay site you originally come through. For example using the 3 apples auction via the Canadian or Australian Ebay it shows available to bidders in the US. Here are the links:-

Ebay Canada<br>
http://cgi.ca.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1445189875 <p>

Ebay Australia<br>
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=1445189875 <p>

But if I enter via the US site it excludes the US & shows “Will ship to Canada and the following regions: Europe. Canada
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1445189875<br>
Do you see the same exclusion in the US site, as I. It has got me bamboozled. I wonder if it would be different if you had listed in US Dollars, rather than Canadian Dollars?<p>

<b>How did you find me on eBay? </b><br>

Search by surname. You can also search in the “Search by seller” facility using email addresses.

<br>

<b>Looked at your auction Carly.</B> I can clearly see why the Memories work has achieved this price, It really hits home with a very lucid message on the tragedy of Alzheimers disease . Congratulations.<br>

Got to rush - Wimbledon final starts in a few minutes and the country is on the verge of closing down to see Pat Rafter take it out. Go Pat<p>
Fred

leesmith
07-09-2001, 06:58 PM
Help! Anybody familiar with ebay check this out!

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=1445448958

How did this happen when the Buy It Now Price is supposed to disappear when someone bids the minimum. This auction had a reserve plus a Buy It Now. There were multiple bidders, so why didn't the buy it now disappear after the first bidder bid the minimum. Is this because the seller's reserve amount and the Buy It Now amount were the same? Apparently the reserve was $125.00. I just looked at this earlier this afternoon. I have never seen this. I've seen BIN and the first bidder chooses to pay the BIN price and auction ends immediately but this auction had multiple bids.

Thanks, anybody and everybody. :)

tammy
07-10-2001, 02:34 AM
Help! Anybody familiar with ebay check this out!

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=1445448958

How did this happen when the Buy It Now Price is supposed to disappear when someone bids the minimum.
Thanks, anybody and everybody. :)

Since the Auction is now ended I do not know what the Buy it now price was, do you? So, seeing what I see I believe that the last bidder had the Buy it now price of $125.00 and so not only won the auction but that also ended it.
The Buy it Now Price disappears when someone bids the "BIN price which the person is asking and only then does the auction end, not when someone bids the minimum. The Minimum is not always the BIN price.

More than likely the $125.00 was also the Reserve price too since it says that it had been met.

My only question is was their BIN price 125.00 or something else?
If if was 125.00 then everything is as it should be, if not then something is wrong I'm assuming.

Does this help?

leesmith
07-10-2001, 09:23 PM
Hi Tammy,

I get it now, don't know why I didn't before.
This is first time I've noticed a buy it now with a reserve, and like you say, apparently the BIN met the reserve, i.e. the BIN Price was also the reserve price. On an auction with a BIN, with no reserve, the BIN is only available to the first bidder. Say an auction had a $50. minimum start bid but a Buy It Now of $75.00. The first bidder can purchase on the buy it now and eliminate their competition and the auction ends. But if the first bidder, bid the min. bid of $50.00, the Buy It Now Feature disappears for good and the auction must continue.

On a similar note, I've seen sellers stated in their ad, "do not ask what the reserve price is". Then I've seen other sellers, tell in their ad what the reserve amount is. Go figure. If you have to have a certain amount for sure, the minimum bid can do that but you just might not get any bids. LOL

I love EBAY! I sold 2 this week!

To Sumafra: Congrats on your first ebay sale! I don't know how I missed that in your post!

Sumafra
07-11-2001, 08:05 PM
Thanks Lee. Actually, I sold 2 this past weekend. So I'm thrilled as this is not my first try and I've never had a bid before. And I must say that I've found the whole thing really exciting and fun. I guess I'm hooked and will be doing it again.

arteitaliana
07-12-2001, 01:30 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by leesmith
[B]Does anybody have a preference for Billpoint or PayPal?

I signed up for both. I have paid for purchases with Paypal via credit card.

I can't recall why, but I had to deposit $100 to fund my PayPal account. I had an international buyer that tried to pay by credit card thru paypal and it would never go thru, she had no prob with Billpoint.

I put all this in for Rita. :)

Thanks, Lee

I really needed that information. Tomorrow I will open a bank account just for eBay and then I will will be ready to enter the unfamiliar world of online buying and selling. I will be using Billpoint as you have suggested.(I hope to do mostly selling!!). I am in the process of making my first eBay sale (3 more days to go, but I have 3 bids and no reserve, so...)and that money will finance July listings. This eBay thing is quite addictive...

Sumafra: Congratulation for your two sales!:clap: