PDA

View Full Version : Paint Along 15 Discussion Thread

Johannes Instructor
11-23-2014, 08:46 PM
Paint along 15 starts Nov 29
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2014/135220-PromoPaintAlongct25.jpg

Follow Johannes' steps in a relaxed informal online studio environment. Strengthen your painting skills with 4 hours of painting fun for three Saturdays. He will start a painting from scratch and finish it in real time while you watch, “over his shoulder and hear him think out loud” and if you want, you will be able to complete your own art creation as well by painting along. During the class you will receive verbal techniques, color combinations, professional secrets, and instructions to guide you along the way. Watch as he mixes color in real time. If you miss a part of the class or cannot make it one day, don't worry, the classes will be recorded and available for download at no extra cost, so you miss nothing. One demo will be in oils, another in watercolor and another in pastels. No matter what medium you use, you will benefit from acquiring the “keys” to successful paintings. 12 hours of top quality art instruction!

TIME: 1:00 to 5:00 PM EST (The class may extend more than 4 hours)
DATES: 3 Saturdays: Nov 29, Dec 6 & 13
WHERE? From the comfort of your home
HOW MUCH? $18.99

*Deirdre*
11-27-2014, 07:18 PM
I'm looking forward to it Jo! I think I'm getting addicted...is there an Artists Anonymous Johannes 12 steps program for me?:evil: :lol:

mickisew
11-27-2014, 07:41 PM
LOL Deirdre - it is nice to have another painter added to "Jo's addicts".

I did class preparation today and, as always, look forward to class on Saturday.

Micki

*Deirdre*
11-28-2014, 01:33 PM
Yes...and I'm so proud...mine looks just like his just now!!:evil: :lol:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Nov-2014/33616-basecoat.jpg

I think I should sign it now ...whaddya think? :D

mickisew
11-28-2014, 04:17 PM
Yes...and I'm so proud...mine looks just like his just now!!:evil: :lol:
I think I should sign it now ...whaddya think? :D

How about we both sign our toned canvases and ask for a critique from Jo? ROFLMAO :clap:

Johannes Instructor
11-28-2014, 08:42 PM
I forgot to say that we don't add white to tone the canvas,

Johannes Instructor
11-28-2014, 08:43 PM
Isn't it neat that learning can be addictive?

*Deirdre*
11-29-2014, 12:46 AM
I forgot to say that we don't add white to tone the canvas,
Oh no!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2014/33616-34523-crying_with_kleenex.gif it looked as if you had - so I did! :eek: :eek: :eek:Will I have to discard this one and start again?
Your instructions now include Do not add white to the toned canvas. Use acrylics burnt sienna right out of the tube with just a bit of water to allow it to spread.
I used oil paint, as that was the only medium referred to until you changed it. I used underpainting white, as I assumed it would dry quickly.

Johannes Instructor
11-29-2014, 10:47 AM
You can use oils for toning as long as you let it dry first.

*Deirdre*
11-29-2014, 11:23 AM
You can use oils for toning as long as you let it dry first.
Dry enough to use transfer paper on...decided it was prudent to use that, normally use a pencil, but thought the transfer paper was kinder to the oil paint base!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2014/33616-basecoat1.jpg
Looks like I might get away with it this time! I really am an oil paint novice! Practically need a Janet &John reader to start me off! I keep trying though!!:lol:

AlaskaDan
11-29-2014, 12:58 PM
anyone have the link for today painting session? I never received one.

Rosemarie
11-29-2014, 01:02 PM
You should have gotten 1 or 2 emails with the link or go to the student page which has the link too.

AlaskaDan
11-29-2014, 01:04 PM
yes, I normally do, but not this time

Rosemarie
11-29-2014, 01:08 PM
IT you didn't get you didn't register when you had payed NorthLight. Go to the receipt and click on the link to regisster. Then be patienned you will be moved to the student page. book mark it for future use. Click on the video link and you will see the live video session

marionh
11-29-2014, 01:42 PM
I had the emails from Johannes, but when I go to student page on Improvemypaintings.com and click watch live class all I get is the Martha's vineyard demo page.
Please help.

Rosemarie
11-29-2014, 01:47 PM
MArtha you might have to delete browser cash. Are you sure you are on the Paint Along 15 student page?

marionh
11-29-2014, 01:54 PM
I've rebooted, shall try the cache. Yes I have the new painting photo and drawing up.

Rosemarie
11-29-2014, 02:03 PM
Martha, Joe has send us an email twice with the link to todays session but the video link on the PA 15 student page worked fine for me.

paintergyrl
11-29-2014, 05:36 PM
I didn't receive an email to the class today so I wasn't able to log on. This is the first time that I have had a problem with one of Jo's classes. It isn't the $18.99 that I have apparently wasted - but the wonderful instruction that is given during these classes. I am SO disappointed. I have been contacting North Light, even giving them prove of my purchase but to no avail.

*Deirdre*
11-29-2014, 05:47 PM
Did you get this...and follow it?
Paint Along 15 with Johannes Vloothuis
Important: to complete your registration for this online webcast, click on the link below and input your name and email address where indicated: Paint Along 15 with Johannes Vloothuis
You have to register with Johannes each time you buy a class or he won't know you bought it!

Rosemarie
11-30-2014, 10:09 AM
Johannes has just uploaded an additional video on Livestream. He is doing some changes on the painting. It did a difference.

Graleth
11-30-2014, 05:51 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2014/57597-2014.11.25-JV-PA15-GC2-1asm.jpg

Hi all, This is my first work in progress, lots still to do, pretty well just at the block in stage still, but I can see its potential. Considering it was a desert scene, I was surprised how little red Johannes actually put into the scene. He did explain why.
I decided to increase the size of the crack, not sure how that will work out yet. Thoughts ?

Regards all,

Ivor

Johannes Instructor
11-30-2014, 08:38 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2014/57597-2014.11.25-JV-PA15-GC2-1asm.jpg

Hi all, This is my first work in progress, lots still to do, pretty well just at the block in stage still, but I can see its potential. Considering it was a desert scene, I was surprised how little red Johannes actually put into the scene. He did explain why.
I decided to increase the size of the crack, not sure how that will work out yet. Thoughts ?

Regards all,

Ivor
For simplicity reasons I would refrain from subdividing the cliffs too many times and watch out for the cloning the sizes of those divisions.

Johannes Instructor
11-30-2014, 08:39 PM
I didn't receive an email to the class today so I wasn't able to log on. This is the first time that I have had a problem with one of Jo's classes. It isn't the $18.99 that I have apparently wasted - but the wonderful instruction that is given during these classes. I am SO disappointed. I have been contacting North Light, even giving them prove of my purchase but to no avail.
Send me an email with your receipt and I will take care of you

Graleth
12-01-2014, 09:47 PM
For simplicity reasons I would refrain from subdividing the cliffs too many times and watch out for the cloning the sizes of those divisions.

Hi Johannes,
Did you mean the blue cliffs in the background or my foreground creamy slope ? Do you think that the flat mass on the right above the bush should be slightly darker ?

Many thanks,

Ivor

wendyc1276
12-02-2014, 01:28 PM
Please tell me there is a way to download these videos. I can watch a video on livestream from start to finish okay, but if I try to pick up where I left off, the lag makes the video unwatchable - it keeps stopping and starting. In other words, I can't watch a couple hours and then try to watch the other two later...I have to start from the beginning. I don't have this problem with other livestream videos, maybe it's just that these are so long? Also, I cannot watch them at all on an iPad.

I have a very high bandwidth, so that is not the problem, and have gone through any and all troubleshooting provided by livestream support. For iPad support, the video needs to be broadcast in mobile compatible format...but I don't know if that will reduce the resolution for desktop users. I am okay with the desktop version, I just can't sit through all 4-5 hours at once.

Anyone else having trouble trying to jump to any part of the video?

Rosemarie
12-02-2014, 01:52 PM
Wendy, have some patience. In a few day you will be able to download the Hd version of last Saturdays class. The download link on the Access student page will start working and Johannes will also send all of us an email telling us that the video is downloadable.

wendyc1276
12-02-2014, 04:35 PM
Thanks, Rosemarie! Was hoping that was the case, this is my first paintalong. Really good info!

Graleth
12-02-2014, 08:39 PM
Hi all, Has everyone gone shy? I was expecting to see more works in progress before now or possibly a completed one or two. I hope to be back at mine soon. I have put a larger picture on my website, if you would like to take a look.

http://www.ivorcogdell.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Page-gallery-2014.htm

Regards all,

Ivor

*Deirdre*
12-05-2014, 01:05 AM
I'm not even half way through mine yet!

Jo - for Class 2- Watercolor. ...will you be using masking fluid, and if so where?

JELLYBEAD
12-05-2014, 05:04 AM
Hi Ivor,
I am working on mine, in oils. However I didn't get the values correct at first and have had to wait till it dries before proceeding. I don't know whats wrong with me on this one, but as well as being fun, its also a struggle.

Oh well, been late for the last 3 PA's, so guess I'll be late for this one too. LOL

mickisew
12-05-2014, 11:56 AM
Hi Deirdre:

Having taken classes with Jo since the onset, he has never used masking fluid.

Rosemarie
12-05-2014, 12:13 PM
Jo did use masking fluid in the wc class in Paint Along 14.

*Deirdre*
12-05-2014, 12:43 PM
That's why I asked the question Rosemarie...but I now see it's on his website, he's masking the horses....so I've done mine to give it time to dry properly before tomorrow.:D I've also taken the majority of his classes, since the beginning - but not all the paintalongs.

DMags
12-05-2014, 01:58 PM
How long does masking fluid take to dry?

Dan

Rosemarie
12-05-2014, 02:03 PM
Not long. Depends on how thick you lay it on.

*Deirdre*
12-05-2014, 03:46 PM
Mine is dry now even where it was thicker. I used a colour shaper to apply, rather than ruin another brush.:) It worked!

Graleth
12-05-2014, 09:57 PM
Hi Ivor,
I am working on mine, in oils. However I didn't get the values correct at first and have had to wait till it dries before proceeding. I don't know whats wrong with me on this one, but as well as being fun, its also a struggle.

Oh well, been late for the last 3 PA's, so guess I'll be late for this one too. LOL

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2014/57597-2014.12.05-AC-JV-GC2-2sm.jpg

Hi Derdrie, Jellybead and the gang,
I'm re-working mine as I go too, but I do appreciate acrylics are speedier than some other materials. I am just working on the far cliffs at the moment. The foreground will be dealt with later once everything else has been shifted into place.
The added bonus of including Works in progress is that you have a permanent record of how you got to your final piece. It encourages others too, that we have problems like them, how we solved them may give them ideas on where they are stuck.

Be brave and post, we don't bite.

Regards all,

Ivor

JELLYBEAD
12-06-2014, 05:55 AM
Ivor - didn't even think about posting WIP's, but thats a good idea. I for one would like to see more of these. So with that in mind I'll post a pix to show where I am at now.

JELLYBEAD
12-06-2014, 06:25 AM
This is my initial effort, oil on 16x12 canvas. I worked on the the whole painting, concentrating on the upper third shapes and values. I wasn't too happy with it but considered it a good days work even if it is ugly. I wanted it to dry before I muddied up the values.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2014/62974-PA15-CLASS1-DAY1.jpg

Next day
Well it really wasn't dry enough, but I just "had" to work on it some more - know what I mean? Here I worked on the upper third shapes and values as well as the middle third. I put in some highlights on the mountain to establish a path of light, put in the bottom right shapes- deep crevises, but they ended up cloned so I need to do something about that - not sure what yet. Also I still don't like the rock shapes in the middle third. I think some negative painting around them to establish a better shape will help.

There is more, but this post would run on and on, so I would appreciate any help offered.

Johanne is a fabulous teacher. I could not have found better - but it will take years of work to even begin to get to his level - this is going to be fun!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2014/62974-PA15-CLASS1-DAY2.jpg

*Deirdre*
12-06-2014, 08:39 AM
Mine is still a WIP too! However, if you want to see how far I got before I had to replace it with today's...here it is...too much white - I will have to do some glazing methinks! Not to mention the size of that bush! eek!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2014/33616-utah-dee.jpg

JELLYBEAD
12-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Deirdre - I like the way you did your upper third - so atmospheric. I see what you mean about the big bush, ya I'd break that up myself.

I didn't get a chance to work on mine today, out of town company on Monday and of course PA15 Second class was today. Hopefully I can get a little more done on it tomorrow.

Keep up the good work, can't wait to see how it progresses.

Graleth
12-06-2014, 08:35 PM
This is my initial effort, oil on 16x12 canvas. I worked on the the whole painting, concentrating on the upper third shapes and values. I wasn't too happy with it but considered it a good days work even if it is ugly. I wanted it to dry before I muddied up the values.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2014/62974-PA15-CLASS1-DAY1.jpg

Next day
Well it really wasn't dry enough, but I just "had" to work on it some more - know what I mean? Here I worked on the upper third shapes and values as well as the middle third. I put in some highlights on the mountain to establish a path of light, put in the bottom right shapes- deep crevises, but they ended up cloned so I need to do something about that - not sure what yet. Also I still don't like the rock shapes in the middle third. I think some negative painting around them to establish a better shape will help.

There is more, but this post would run on and on, so I would appreciate any help offered.

Johanne is a fabulous teacher. I could not have found better - but it will take years of work to even begin to get to his level - this is going to be fun!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2014/62974-PA15-CLASS1-DAY2.jpg

Hi all,Hi all, just back from the works Xmas party, so I missed today's paint along. Jellybead, its coming along nicely, your top third merges nicely with the mid third, my right mid third looks like it is tilting sideways. I was not sure if Jo was representing a clean break between his foregound and his middle left mass or just a fissure part way across. I will have to check the new painted result.
Deirdre, I don't know if you have been to Mt. Rushmore, but I can see a face in your blue cliff on the right, if you look at the first slab, the eye socket is level with your cliff, then the rectangular nose coming down. Saying that, I like it. I did think the blue was a bit intense on the right.
I like your distant mountains, can I detect a hint of even further mountains too. Overall, yours seem to flow better than mine.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2014/57597-33616-utah-dee-head.jpg

Regards all

Ivor

Johannes Instructor
12-06-2014, 11:24 PM
Hi Johannes,
Did you mean the blue cliffs in the background or my foreground creamy slope ? Do you think that the flat mass on the right above the bush should be slightly darker ?

Many thanks,

Ivor
All the areas that are subdivided too many times end up being clones. It's a general principle not only pertaining to your painting.

Johannes Instructor
12-06-2014, 11:27 PM
Mine is dry now even where it was thicker. I used a colour shaper to apply, rather than ruin another brush.:) It worked!
If you add dishwasher soap to the bristles before you dip it in the masking fluid it won't stick to the brush hairs.

Johannes Instructor
12-06-2014, 11:29 PM

Next day

You got the melodic lines on the cliffs right. I would ditch the color that is making the areas look blackish though. It will suffice if you only use Ultramarine Blue and Indian Red.

Johannes Instructor
12-06-2014, 11:32 PM
Mine is still a WIP too! However, if you want to see how far I got before I had to replace it with today's...here it is...too much white - I will have to do some glazing methinks! Not to mention the size of that bush! eek!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2014/33616-utah-dee.jpg
Professional portrait artists will reduce, even eliminate the wrinkles crevices in faces. The ones that remain would have little value contrast, just enough to give a sense there are indentations. This is the same case with the crevices in cliffs and mountains. I would lighten the value of the bush because it stands alone and stands out.

Rosemarie
12-07-2014, 02:30 AM
Thank you for yesterdays Paint Along. It was very informative on watercolours. The painting is a stunner!

*Deirdre*
12-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Thanks Jo...lost the video at one point (oils) so carried on to use the paint, intending to download again...retry. Note re clingfilm over underpainting white, proving you occlude the air and just lift it to nab paint then reseal, it lasts (useable and soft), for 1 week on your palette!

Now back to the painting board!

Alta Imp
12-07-2014, 04:11 PM
Here are my efforts from the past two Saturdays, the desert scene is still a challenging WIP....really enjoyed the classes.
Barb

Rosemarie
12-07-2014, 04:29 PM
They are lovely, Barb! The mountains is the one I like best. Would suite my apartment :) but so would the wc painting!

Jacdesusbielle
12-07-2014, 05:29 PM
Both are very good Barb. My preference goes to the horses. I am a pastellist and I know watercolour is very difficult. Bravo !

Akajun
12-07-2014, 09:25 PM
Hello all. I have been taking Jo's classes since last year and I have learned so much from him. Today I finally got up the courage to do my first ever painting. I did my own design as a gift for a friend requesting it. Next time I can do something that hopefully will be a better design. I used Pan Pastels. I want to try doing the Jo's horse painting next but with Pan Pastels. I need to do a little touch up on my first painting before trying to post it. Thanks so much Jo for your teaching and encouragement. Frances

Johannes Instructor
12-07-2014, 11:20 PM
Thanks Jo...lost the video at one point (oils) so carried on to use the paint, intending to download again...retry. Note re clingfilm over underpainting white, proving you occlude the air and just lift it to nab paint then reseal, it lasts (useable and soft), for 1 week on your palette!

Now back to the painting board!
Thx for the tip.

Johannes Instructor
12-07-2014, 11:23 PM
Here are my efforts from the past two Saturdays, the desert scene is still a challenging WIP....really enjoyed the classes.
Barb
Barb you are simplifying very well. You refrained from exaggerating the crevices in the cliffs that several fell in the trap by overstating. The left brain wants to document detail and report reality. We must refrain from this which you did. Again our artwork is not supposed to be based on nature in its details but only to derive ideas from. You hit the colors right in the horse painting and your horse renderings are very good. I feel the grass snow ratio is to close to 50-50 and repetitive and the linear movement can be made lazier. The background on the left is well handled.

Johannes Instructor
12-07-2014, 11:28 PM
Hello all. I have been taking Jo's classes since last year and I have learned so much from him. Today I finally got up the courage to do my first ever painting. I did my own design as a gift for a friend requesting it. Next time I can do something that hopefully will be a better design. I used Pan Pastels. I want to try doing the Jo's horse painting next but with Pan Pastels. I need to do a little touch up on my first painting before trying to post it. Thanks so much Jo for your teaching and encouragement. Frances
Frances I would do the horses and the building with pastel pencils though. The Pans are too blunt for the detailed work.

*Deirdre*
12-08-2014, 06:38 PM
You have to post the good with the bad eh? I got into trouble (not unusual with me and watercolours) early ....probably used the wrong paper - 16x12 Saunders Waterford 140 Rough....which, funnily enough was exactly how my painting turned out ROUGH! Even pastels didn't save it.....so here is my group of animals, right to left, Dartmoor pony, hybrid and pantomime horse!
I might try again on smooth paper, just found it - it's much smaller 12x9 Arches - Hot pressed...hmmm...I hate to be defeated! :evil: :crossfingers:

Make sure you're sitting squarely in your seat, I'd hate anyone to fall off theirs laughing! Here goes...http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2014/33616-dees-horses.jpg

Akajun
12-08-2014, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the tip Jo. I tried posting my first ever painting and I don't think it went through. I posted it in the critique section. Maybe it will show up later. Frances

Graleth
12-08-2014, 11:59 PM

Hi Frances and the gang, Well done. Its always nice to hear that someone has taken the plunge and joined in the fun of our hobby. Don't be worried if does not turn out as expected, you can either re work it or do another one, either way, you are learning by experience.

Enjoy,

Ivor

Graleth
12-09-2014, 12:00 AM

Hi Frances and the gang, (Apologies, editing a double post). Anybody else out there, thinking about having a go, now's the time, join Frances. Any questions or problems, nothing is too trivial to mention, post away.

Enjoy,

Ivor

Akajun
12-09-2014, 12:04 PM
For some reason my post in the critique section didn't go through. I will try again today. I just hate typing the message over. Frances

Akajun
12-09-2014, 12:10 PM
Thanks Ivor. I think I had a fear of totally messing up. The start was the hardest. Goodness knows I have bought enough supplies to be able to paint the rest of my life! LOL I am going to try to post my picture again on the Critique section. That should be interesting. See you folks on Saturday. Frances

*Deirdre*
12-09-2014, 12:14 PM
For some reason my post in the critique section didn't go through. I will try again today. I just hate typing the message over. Frances
Copy your message when you've typed it - next time...and if it doesn't go through, refresh your browser, start new message but paste in your saved message!

Akajun
12-09-2014, 02:27 PM
Thanks Dierdre. It went through this time. Good thing because I was going to copy the message but forgot. I am still learning about using Wet Canvas. Frances

SouthCarolinaNana
12-11-2014, 03:46 PM
Johannes, I tried to paint along which was a disaster. After cleaning as much of the paint off (Arches 300lb) I tried again after I got the photo of your finished painting. Thank you for the wonderful lessons and DVDs'
Martha in Charleston, SC

Johannes Instructor
12-11-2014, 07:49 PM
Johannes, I tried to paint along which was a disaster. After cleaning as much of the paint off (Arches 300lb) I tried again after I got the photo of your finished painting. Thank you for the wonderful lessons and DVDs'
Martha in Charleston, SC
Even top professionals need to do the same painting more that once before they get it right. Hang in there.

sherrysherman
12-11-2014, 10:04 PM
As usual, I now see things I'd change. I may do it if I paint tomorrow. One thing is either getting those bushes a little less purply, or else echo that color elsewhere in the painting, maybe lower right area.

Oh, and this is small - 9x12 because that was the only size of white paper I had. Pastels. I will tell you, doing those horses that small was a challenge!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2014/616112-horse_vignett_3-rev800.jpg

*Deirdre*
12-11-2014, 11:32 PM
Mine is 9x12 too...watercolour mainly, except for the bit right - back. My pantomime horse has changed places, he's now in the middle! I've worked out I'm not going live long enough to get good at using Watercolours!!:eek:

The paper is Arches hot-pressed though!:D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2014/33616-dees-horses.jpg

Oh the shame!:crying: What's next? Pastels? :lol: I like pastels!:thumbsup:

Johannes Instructor
12-12-2014, 10:38 AM
Your grass, background and dark foliage are all fresh and not overworked. Be careful over layering in watercolor unless you are darkening the side of a tree or bush to render a 3D form, otherwise it will look scabby.

Eileen R
12-12-2014, 07:40 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2014/946715-image.jpg
Here is my watercolor. I made my barn larger . Unfortunately, the horse is front of the barn is much smaller than intended. Thanks for another great series of classes, Jo.

TeaTrekkie
12-12-2014, 08:34 PM
I finally got the desert scene finished! It is in acrylics and slightly abstract in some respects (see the far mountains). My camera turned the closest shrubs into a bright green. Oh well! Just glad to have it finished. ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2014/979990-IMG_2930_auto_level_800.jpg

VanB
12-13-2014, 12:08 AM
Love the classes Jo!!!! Sure have had a time trying to post--technically challenged you know. Just finished the desert scene in oil and have learned much from you. Please critique. Thanks Janette819168 Oh above one is from this summer. Loved the way it turned out. Still trying to get the desert one.

Akajun
12-14-2014, 02:16 PM
I wanted to join the student group on Facebook. My daughter came over and got it set up for me. Now I can't find Robert's website to ask him to approve me. I thought I had written it down and bookmarked it but I can't find it. So if anyone can let me know how to get in touch with him or if anyone else can approve me I would really appreciate. I want to continue painting and I am working on painting #2. I enjoy Jo's classes very much and I attribute any good that I am doing to him. Frances

mickisew
12-14-2014, 02:44 PM
I wanted to join the student group on Facebook. My daughter came over and got it set up for me. Now I can't find Robert's website to ask him to approve me. I thought I had written it down and bookmarked it but I can't find it. So if anyone can let me know how to get in touch with him or if anyone else can approve me I would really appreciate. I want to continue painting and I am working on painting #2. I enjoy Jo's classes very much and I attribute any good that I am doing to him. Frances

https://www.facebook.com/groups/184426631570594/

Micki

LadyMadonna
12-14-2014, 04:41 PM
I really enjoyed painting this one ( although I still need to finish my horses) . I kept going and going with colour after colour and finally had to force myself to stop . I am also going to try something like this in oils . I loved the process and the look forward to our time of learning and camaraderie next year. Merry Christmas to all.

*Deirdre*
12-14-2014, 04:52 PM
Frances...don't worry - Robert will see your request as soon as he logs in to facebook, he'll have a notification that you asked to join. :)

Akajun
12-14-2014, 09:07 PM
Thanks for that. I am new at all of this and now adding Facebook too. I will not worry about it now that I know it will be taken care of. Frances

Alta Imp
12-15-2014, 11:50 AM
The Gallery District was great fun with lots of good tips, especially the wet reflections. Still working on that challenging desert scene, can't seem to get that soft blue distance and haven't fixed the 50/50 ratio on the snow and grass watercolor yet so will give me something to work on until the next paint along. Thanks Rosemarie, Jacdesusbielle and Jo for your feedback on the previous paintings.
Wishing you all a Merry Christmas.
Barb

Johannes Instructor
12-16-2014, 08:35 AM
The Gallery District was great fun with lots of good tips, especially the wet reflections. Still working on that challenging desert scene, can't seem to get that soft blue distance and haven't fixed the 50/50 ratio on the snow and grass watercolor yet so will give me something to work on until the next paint along. Thanks Rosemarie, Jacdesusbielle and Jo for your feedback on the previous paintings.
Wishing you all a Merry Christmas.
Barb
This looks good to me. I tend to add some oranges and red oranges to the lit windows for variance. Also some spots of white. You did a good job Barb.

TeaTrekkie
12-16-2014, 05:26 PM
I couldn't add this to my original post so I just started a new reply. Anyway, I made some changes per Jo's suggestions and fixed the shrub's color and arrangement somewhat and went for a sandy foreground with no random dark clones. I like it better now and learned a lot.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2014/979990-IMG_2918_800_wetcanvas.jpg

Rosemarie
12-17-2014, 12:43 AM
It looks so much better now! Good work!

TeaTrekkie
12-17-2014, 09:56 AM
Thanks, Rosemarie! I appreciate the comment. :)

olva
12-18-2014, 11:36 AM
LadyMadonna,
It is beautiful, You should be proud of yourself!
Olva

olva
12-18-2014, 12:24 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2014/1158774-Main_Street_2.jpg
This is my attempt to paint along with Jo Saturday. I gave out on the lower right corner. Comments and critiques appreciated.
Olva

Johannes Instructor
12-18-2014, 09:44 PM
Another success story. I am very pleased with the cityscapes that have been submitted, also in facebook. Olva tone down the light on the left building.

Sheri Hammond
12-19-2014, 05:08 PM
This was fun to paint, but I had a problem with old masking fluid on the house and horses. The fluid settled into the paper so I couldn,t get it off and it was difficult to paint on. So it is a good idea for us to try the masking fluid on a piece of scrap paper frist. Live and learn!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2014/678462-PC181066.JPG

JELLYBEAD
12-20-2014, 11:50 AM

Next day

UPDATE - 12/20/14
Well this is where I am at now. What do you think? Can I call this finished? Knowing me I could nit-pick it to death (i.e. details that probably don't need to be there - LOL)

Jo looking forward to any suggestions to improve it.

Thanks for you help!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2014/62974-pa15-class1.jpg

LadyMadonna
12-21-2014, 01:36 PM
I finally finished this one.
Merry Christmas one and all.

Rosemarie
12-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Merry Christmas Donna! Lovely painting as always.

Akajun
12-22-2014, 09:20 PM
Sheri-I had a problem with masking my horses also. I used Pan Pastels and I couldn't get my two forward horses to accept the pastels even though I sprayed them and tried again. I agree on not using the mask. I am very new to painting. (This was my second painting in my lifetime) I will try to take a photo of the finished painting and post it tomorrow. Frances

Graleth
12-23-2014, 12:26 AM
Hi all, great work from everybody.I am off work with a raging cough at the moment, frustrated at not being able to get at my canvas.

Have a great festive season everybody,

Ivor

JELLYBEAD
12-23-2014, 06:36 AM
Wishing everyone a wonderful Holiday Season and a happy painting New Year.

Johannes Instructor
12-23-2014, 09:56 AM
This was fun to paint, but I had a problem with old masking fluid on the house and horses. The fluid settled into the paper so I couldn,t get it off and it was difficult to paint on. So it is a good idea for us to try the masking fluid on a piece of scrap paper frist. Live and learn!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2014/678462-PC181066.JPG
You can easily remove the masking fluid with the sticky part of duct tape. Nice painting. Very loose and spontaneous brushwork especially in the grass-snow area.

Johannes Instructor
12-23-2014, 09:59 AM
UPDATE - 12/20/14
Well this is where I am at now. What do you think? Can I call this finished? Knowing me I could nit-pick it to death (i.e. details that probably don't need to be there - LOL)

Jo looking forward to any suggestions to improve it.

Thanks for you help!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2014/62974-pa15-class1.jpg
Nothing to nit-pick. It turned out great. Good handling of atmosphere and you achieved making the greens belong into the scene. You could scumble over the dark cracks in the bottom left corner so they don't attract the eye so much. Darks become eye magnets.

Johannes Instructor
12-23-2014, 10:01 AM
I finally finished this one.
Merry Christmas one and all.
No doubt you are an impressionist artist.

Akajun
12-23-2014, 05:05 PM
I am trying again to post the photo of my painting for the third time. This is the second painting of my life. It is done on Canson MiTientes pastel paper and painted with PanPastels. I had problems with the two front horses. I had used latex mask on them and then I tried to color them with pastel pencils but it wouldn't stick and kind of polished the paper even after spraying it. Also I know the horse in the back has too small a head but that was the way the drawing was. I hope that Jo can critique this. Frances

JELLYBEAD
12-24-2014, 04:44 AM
Nothing to nit-pick. It turned out great. Good handling of atmosphere and you achieved making the greens belong into the scene. You could scumble over the dark cracks in the bottom left corner so they don't attract the eye so much. Darks become eye magnets.

Thank you Jo. I'll scumble over that area and then repost next week.

Johannes Instructor
12-24-2014, 11:43 PM
I am trying again to post the photo of my painting for the third time. This is the second painting of my life. It is done on Canson MiTientes pastel paper and painted with PanPastels. I had problems with the two front horses. I had used latex mask on them and then I tried to color them with pastel pencils but it wouldn't stick and kind of polished the paper even after spraying it. Also I know the horse in the back has too small a head but that was the way the drawing was. I hope that Jo can critique this. Frances
You must be kidding? This is your second painting?? I have never seen anyone do something at this level so soon. You definitely have huge potential. I don't see a problem with the two horses. They are dark but so what. There is less light there. The eye movement on the grass-snow is excellent.

Nick7
12-25-2014, 03:43 AM
Hi Jo,

After attending your free lesson not long ago, I bought all your Essentials, some of your watecolor lessons and also Paint Along 15. Thank you for all your great advice. I am having a great time.

Merry Christmas! :)

Akajun
12-25-2014, 08:50 PM
Oh my goodness Jo!!! I am thrilled with your critique. And yes this is just my second painting. I owe it all to your classes and PanPastels. I should also say I owe a lot to my friends who have been encouraging me to start painting. I wish that I had found your classes earlier than I did. But now I am planning to follow you as long as I can. Needless to say, I am still stunned. Thanks again for being such a good teacher. Frances

JELLYBEAD
12-26-2014, 06:07 AM

Jo, here is the updated painting with the darks scumbled. Your right this really makes a significant difference to unify it. Thanks!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Dec-2014/62974-PA15-MYProgress_Pix-Class1.jpg

JELLYBEAD
12-26-2014, 06:17 AM
Good morning everyone. Well I have actually used watercolor per the lesson for this painting. I've messed around with watercolor affects, but even those looked horrible. It's a bit hard as I am used to oils and watercolor behaves sooo differently.

I know there are lots of mistakes, but thought I'd share this anyway in the hopes to get some suggestions. I'm not sure how I would even fix them in this painting, but could use them for the next watercolor.

So what do you think? Good, bad and/or ugly?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Dec-2014/62974-PA15-MYProgress_Pix-Class2.jpg

Johannes Instructor
12-26-2014, 06:05 PM
Jo, here is the updated painting with the darks scumbled. Your right this really makes a significant difference to unify it. Thanks!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Dec-2014/62974-PA15-MYProgress_Pix-Class1.jpg
Huge difference! The eye does not get magnetized in one spot!

Akajun
12-28-2014, 04:50 PM
I got with Robert and he said he would add me to the alumni group but it is still pending after a week or so. Is there anyone else who can admit me? I would enjoy being able to talk to people and posting paintings. Thanks Frances

*Deirdre*
12-28-2014, 07:17 PM
I think he's added you now Frances!:D

Alta Imp
12-29-2014, 12:48 PM
Well the desert scene is either finished or abandoned, time to try the Nov 8th lesson with the deer and waterfall now.
Jo, thanks for commenting on the lights in the windows on the Gallery District pastel, I put some oranges and reds in which really lit the buildings up, also fixed the horses watercolor so the snow and grass isn't 50/50 anymore.
Great to see all the postings for this paint along!
Barb

Johannes Instructor
12-30-2014, 11:24 AM
I got with Robert and he said he would add me to the alumni group but it is still pending after a week or so. Is there anyone else who can admit me? I would enjoy being able to talk to people and posting paintings. Thanks Frances
Maybe we can have a volunteer help Robert as an admin so a week does not go by?

Johannes Instructor
12-30-2014, 11:28 AM
Well the desert scene is either finished or abandoned, time to try the Nov 8th lesson with the deer and waterfall now.
Jo, thanks for commenting on the lights in the windows on the Gallery District pastel, I put some oranges and reds in which really lit the buildings up, also fixed the horses watercolor so the snow and grass isn't 50/50 anymore.
Great to see all the postings for this paint along!
Barb

Yeah nice work. Not much needs to be done. I would keep my purple and blue mountains cleaner though. Once that much atmospheric perspective kicks in you really don't see additional colors, just some hints of warmth where reflective light hits the bottom mountain cliffs. Green can be left out in blue mountains.

*Deirdre*
12-30-2014, 01:12 PM
Maybe we can have a volunteer help Robert as an admin so a week does not go by?
Done:D

*Deirdre*
12-31-2014, 08:11 AM
Thought I'd show that I'm still working on this, trying to get the values more, and still working on the final details of my universal street! Bad choice of paper, Daler-Rowney Ingres, lacks tooth! Have to keep using my electric eraser to get back to basics if I can't add more pastel...slow going to say the least!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2014/33616-the-street.jpg

HAPPY NEW YEAR to All!

*Deirdre*
01-01-2015, 05:51 PM
I've done as much as I can now...got to get on!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2015/33616-street.jpg

Johannes Instructor
01-07-2015, 06:01 PM
I've done as much as I can now...got to get on!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2015/33616-street.jpg
Nice. nice nice. This is the best painting I have seen you do. Be careful not to overstate. Keep it impressionist.

Akajun
01-21-2015, 04:49 PM
Hello all. I have just posted this painting to Jo for critique in the critique thread. It is my third painting ever and I spent a lot of time on it. It is Pan Pastel on blue 12X16 Canson paper. I tried to keep it soft like Jo's watercolor painting that I went by. I am learning steadily and of course enjoying Jo's classes. There is no where else that I could have learned so much for such a good price at that. Also, I don't have to go anywhere to get to the classes which is a really big bonus. Frances

Johannes Instructor
01-22-2015, 12:30 PM
Hello all. I have just posted this painting to Jo for critique in the critique thread. It is my third painting ever and I spent a lot of time on it. It is Pan Pastel on blue 12X16 Canson paper. I tried to keep it soft like Jo's watercolor painting that I went by. I am learning steadily and of course enjoying Jo's classes. There is no where else that I could have learned so much for such a good price at that. Also, I don't have to go anywhere to get to the classes which is a really big bonus. Frances
Can you give me a better photo? Hard to assess it this way.

Akajun
01-22-2015, 08:11 PM
Okay Jo. I thought it looked awful bad on here. I don't know what happened since it was a good photo until I made it smaller. I will give it another try. Thanks for looking. Frances

Akajun
01-22-2015, 09:36 PM
I am trying to get a better photo in this time. I took all new photos. Pan Pastel of Jo's watercolor painting. I am hoping that it isn't done too soft? I can see the tracing lines so maybe the painting will be sharper this time. Frances

Akajun
01-22-2015, 09:50 PM
I thought the photo was resized in Photoshop but it wasn't according to Microsoft paint. I am trying again to post the photo. Frances

Johannes Instructor
01-24-2015, 08:38 AM
I thought the photo was resized in Photoshop but it wasn't according to Microsoft paint. I am trying again to post the photo. Frances
It's too dark. Hard to assess. You can use the Enhance, adjust light tool to give it more light.

Graleth
08-01-2015, 10:02 AM
Hi all,
Just when you thought this thread was dead and gone, it pops up again. Meaning no disrespect to JV, I did not like how my painting turned out. So, I decided to leave it alone for a bit and then give it a makeover. Here are the stages I went through.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2015/57597-2014.12.05-AC-JV-GC2-3sm.jpg

From this, I chopped out a chunk of the middle ground,changed the colour of my rocks on the right, added a rock stack on the far right, being hopefully large enough to not break the "no fly zone" rule.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2015/57597-2015.05.30-AC-JV-GC3-9.jpg

Ive added more details and blended the rock reflections, added boulders and plants.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2015/57597-2015.07.07-AC-JV-GC3-11.jpg

This is where I am at the moment. Have I completely blown it with the red ? Tell me what you think.

Regards all,

Ivor