PDA

View Full Version : IAPS shopping question :)

Barbara WC
11-22-2014, 01:40 PM
I'm getting really excited about IAPS next June. I was on the fence about attending, but now really happy I registered and got into Diane Rappisi's figure workshop...

Now I've been thinking about the shopping hall :evil:

Do the vendors have sales during IAPS? Terry Ludwig will be there, and I can't wait to pick out some open stock TL's myself.

We'll be driving so I don't have to worry about shoving all my purchases into a suitcase to fly home. This could be dangerous... :lol:

Looked at the vendor list, starting my shopping list now...

Nick7
11-22-2014, 02:10 PM
Oh boy :D:D:D This is going to be another funny thread! :D

AnnaLisa
11-22-2014, 03:46 PM
Ooh lucky you Barbara, what fun !!!

More photos to see then, of the pastels you will buy:)
I Believe that they have special prices during this event.

water girl
11-22-2014, 03:49 PM
For anyone who is flying in, bring a bit of small bubble, bubble wrap with you. Then, you can wrap your purchases and keep them safe in your carry on. Just don't tape the wrap until you go through security. We tell them up front that we are carrying artist's chalk because when those beautiful pastels in the sets pass through the machine, they may look like ammo.
The Candy Store is such a wonderful place to try product and see what's new. I'm jealous!!!

mudfish
11-22-2014, 07:03 PM
I need a plein air easel in the worst way but waiting until June so I can hopefully get my hands on exactly what I want, which is ???????? - bring easels, you vendors!!! I am driving w/ a friend who is a real travel pack rat (4 quilts last time for a summer beach trip - really?), so her stuff might get pitched by the side of the road ROFL.

Nick7
11-22-2014, 07:31 PM
:D :D
I am starting to get sad that I don't NEED anything :)

SAS Designs
11-28-2014, 10:50 AM
Nick7, I don't know you, but I've taken the liberty of scratching out the word NEED in your post, and inserting the word WANT, and of course the change eliminates the word "anything" cuz nobody doesn't want something...:)
have fun.
jealous, still a fantasy to go...
Suzy

Nick7
11-28-2014, 05:18 PM
lol Suzy.
I don't even want new pastels now. (oops, am I allowed to say that? :rolleyes: ) But I feel I need all the courses and instructional books I see :D So, yeah, I want to go to IAPS as well... Someday in the future :)

Davkin
11-28-2014, 06:38 PM
I'm more of a heretic than you Nick, not only do I not want to buy more pastels, I don't even want to attend IAPS. I've been tempted but I figured I'd rather spend the money on a week long workshop, (something else I've never done.) Maybe it's just because pastels aren't my only thing, or even my primary thing.

getdusty
11-29-2014, 11:39 AM
Not a heretic, David! :) I'd like to go for all of the great demos. Where else could you see such great pastelists giving demos in one place. I love the dvds of the 2011 demos.

Davkin
11-29-2014, 07:53 PM
Not a heretic, David! :) I'd like to go for all of the great demos. Where else could you see such great pastelists giving demos in one place. I love the dvds of the 2011 demos.

Attending the demos would be nice, but for the same price or less of each demo I can get a DVD and watch it over and over again, every time I watch one of my DVD's I learn something new, or it finally sinks in anyway, in that sense I think the demos are of less value even though they are live. The demos I would have been interested in where sold out in less than two hours anyway. Obviously I'm the exception, plenty of pastelists think IAPS is worth it. I also have the 2011 demo DVD's, they are very good, I wish they would make more.

David

julieindvik
11-30-2014, 11:58 AM
I am a big fan of DVD's too. I love watching them over and over especially if shot close range. But many of the pastelist at IAPS do not have dvd's out. I have booked one workshop and three demos! I could have booked more if I had more time...an extra workshop at least. Combine that with the trade show, the exhibits and the paint around, seems like a pastelist's dream!

Barbara WC
11-30-2014, 12:28 PM
I was on the fence about IAPS- it is a lot of money. However, I'm at the point with my portraits and figure painting after 6 years, that I need a change of pace. DVD's don't do it for me anymore, I've watched all the figure and portrait DVD's that are out there- most are more traditional portrait painting, I am interested in contemporary portrait and figure painting- and there aren't too many DVD's in pastel in portrait and figure painting- there are sooo many more in landscape painting! I've taken classes and workshops with local artists, but there aren't many figure artists in my area that focus exclusively on pastels. The one pastel teacher I really like, only works from photos (most of my figure work is from life). The other teacher, who works from life and who's work I love, isn't the best teacher. Figure painters who work in oils that I've had workshops with, don't "get" pastels... I've mostly been "winging" it on my own attending weekly portrait/figure sessions...

I saw that Diane Rappisi was teaching a workshop at IAPS, and that is the reason I'm going. The rest of it, especially the shopping at IAPS (picking out Terry Ludwig pastels in person!!!), is icing on the cake!

My husband is retiring next spring too, and we have talked about traveling after he retires. This will be our first road trip after he is done working! When my DH is asked what makes a happy marriage, he said if I'm happy, he's happy- and attending IAPS is going to make me very happy indeed :lol:

Julie- I didn't realize you were going to IAPS! We'll have to finally meet up- seems like we have a lot of the same perspectives on pastel brands :) And PS- we are thinking about moving down south in a year or two- maybe back to San Diego- that would put us closer to meet up and compare pastels! :wave:

Theodorablau
11-30-2014, 02:29 PM
Hi guys, I am flying in from Belgium! So no filling the car booth for me...Luckily I know a lovely pastellist from Albuquerque who I met during a pastel workshop in France last year. She is going to lend me an easel and board for the workshops.
It was really difficult to decide which demos and WS to choose! And I am looking forward to visiting the candy store; TL's are not available in Europe and postage and customs is hugely expensive. I know, for the price of the trip I could have bought the whole TL range, but this is such an extraordinary occasion for me! I am SOO looking forward to meeting all those amazing artists and seeing them work.

julieindvik
12-01-2014, 09:38 AM
Barbara I am so excited to go to IAPS! I got into Stan Sperlak's workshop plus demos of Mike Beeman (really wanted his workshop too), Barbara Jaenicke and Jeanne Rosier Smith. Basically I'm coming in on Friday morning and staying through Monday. Would have loved to do the first weekend as well but really can't leave my dog that long. Nice that you are bringing yours! I will admit that after I saw you were driving I mapped it out! Just don't think my dog could handle the drive either. I am bringing a big suitcase because I am stocking up on open stock of Terry Ludwig and anything else that I can't resist. I hope we can meet there!

Facet_Rough
12-03-2014, 05:23 AM
I couldn't wait for the IAPS to satisfy my new pastel itch... for me all it took was special ordering a couple darks (including the eggplant deep purple) to try out and then a cyber sale at Blick's for a 20% discount off a full 515 set, which worked out to $2.50 US a pastel, it is Christmas after all! I am obsessively enjoying my passion with pastels!

I may be the guy set up outside the hotel selling a set of 1/2 pastels to make my mortgage payment though.... stand by!

julieindvik
12-03-2014, 10:21 AM
That is a great buy, I was tempted myself especially since the site says its discontinued. Enjoy your beautiful full set!

robertsloan2
12-14-2014, 05:39 PM
Great buy, Steven! That rocks!

Wow! You folks going to IAPS are going to have so much fun. Those of you visiting the candy store, when you get back please do post photos of your new acquisitions. I love seeing everyone's new pastels. The more detail the better, since I do keep adding to my collection and love being able to decide what's next easier.

I won't be making it to this one but Someday.. and when I can afford the trip, I will also plan for a heavy shopping budget. Partly for the bargains but also because of the thrill of meeting the manufacturers. Not just pastels but papers. I'd love to meet Kitty Wallis in person and probably will stock up on lots of lovely surfaces when I finally go.

So please, keep posting on these happy subjects! Y'all are my vicarious IAPS experience!