PDA

View Full Version : Tenatively sneaking into new forum- lino prints

lisilk
10-03-2003, 03:52 AM
Hi folks,

First time posting over here. I did intaglio years ago but since I have no press access I have started experimenting with linoleum prints. I am also interested in wood cut prints. Anyone here do that ?

Here are some recent smaller experiments.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2003/17813-PC16.Tina.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2003/17813-PC16.Tina.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2003/17813-PC21.JoAnn.jpg

Thank you for looking. Any advice welcome.

Li

lisilk
10-03-2003, 03:55 AM
One more.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2003/17813-PC17.Karen.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Li

sassybird
10-05-2003, 03:05 PM
Very nice, Li. You have a magic touch to anything you do:) You caught some wonderful expression in the first one through the mans pose and the set of his face. I like this one a great deal.

The second one reminds me of fall winds and leaves blowing across everything. It has great movement:)

The third one I see a bit of what they call orange peel where the ink went on a bit thick and begins to pull back from the paper some. In lino work more than intaglio you have to be careful with your coverage of the plate so that is even all across. Most of the time you find orange peel affect when doing multicolored pieces.

I have to give it to you. Hand pulling these prints takes a lot of elbow grease, and that is something I don't have a lot of anymore. Are you using a wooden spoon, baren or what to pull the prints? Did you know that you can set your plate on a piece of board, lay your paper on it, cover it with another board, and then drive your car tire right over it to pull a print? I used to do that before I got my press.......lol Right now you can get a press for very reasonable prices through Dick Blick, especially ones made just for lino work. You might want to check into that if you are going to continue working with lino. Oh, you can also do some really cool prints on fabric of all kinds too:) I know your love of that....lol

it'sALLart
10-09-2003, 08:31 AM
hope this isnt too late to talk about, lisilk....

above is one of a whole series of blockprints using Speedball's speedy cut... it cuts a lot easier than lino and you can make prints without so darn much pressure. you can use both sides of the block as well, so there's that incentive on materials. have used this stuff for about 5 years now and the block life is about 4 years before the rubber dries out and crumbles. make sure you buy FRESH blocks, not ones that have been sitting in the store forever. i rub veggie oil on mine when i'm done to help keep them soft, but you could probably use silicone spray too.

one thing that never occurred to me was layering prints on other prints with several blocks for larger pieces.. the guy down the street from my gallery showed me this and opened up completely new territory to me. changed the way i print. I don't probably do the "purist" route of printing, but the end result is pretty nice.... now i'm mixing inks on one block, "over inking" for special effects, making backgrounds to print on, using diff papers, layering blocks, all kinds of fun stuff. by the way, i use basic acrylic craft paint, the viscosity is perfect for this and you don't have all that oil based junk to clean up, just use water. then i coat with UV spray to keep the colors from fading.

happy printing!

it'sALLart
10-09-2003, 08:32 AM
hope this isnt too late to talk about, lisilk....

very nice prints!

above is one of a whole series of blockprints i did recently using Speedball's speedy cut... it cuts a lot easier than lino and you can make prints without so darn much pressure. you can use both sides of the block as well, so there's that incentive on materials. have used this stuff for about 5 years now and the block life is about 4 years before the rubber dries out and crumbles. make sure you buy FRESH blocks, not ones that have been sitting in the store forever. i rub veggie oil on mine when i'm done to help keep them soft, but you could probably use silicone spray too.

one thing that never occurred to me was layering prints on other prints with several blocks for larger pieces.. the guy down the street from my gallery showed me this and opened up completely new territory to me. changed the way i print. I don't probably do the "purist" route of printing, but the end result is pretty nice.... now i'm mixing inks on one block, "over inking" for special effects, making backgrounds to print on, using diff papers, layering blocks, all kinds of fun stuff. by the way, i use basic acrylic craft paint, the viscosity is perfect for this and you don't have all that oil based junk to clean up, just use water. then i coat with UV spray to keep the colors from fading.

happy printing!

Alan Cross
11-09-2003, 11:38 AM
Good job Li....
Alan :)