PDA

View Full Version : IAPS success - YeeHaw!

mudfish
11-17-2014, 02:33 PM
Whoo hoo, I got every class I wanted at this years convention. Had to fight for a room at the hotel, tho - think I got the last one at 3 mins after opening. I didn't know so many of you were coming! Can't wait to meet & greet! :clap: Imagine, a whole week filled with Beeman, McKinley, Jaenicke, soooo many others. I'm in awe. Gotta go dust off my snakeskin boots :wave:

Nick7
11-17-2014, 03:03 PM
You lucky Americans... :D

Enjoy and then tell lots of stories!! :)

Barbara WC
11-17-2014, 03:09 PM
Wow, I didn't know it would be so crowded. If I can't get a hotel room there, I'll probably skip...

Have fun!

julieindvik
11-17-2014, 03:25 PM
I was fortunate as well. I got my first choices of four classes plus the hotel! This will be my first time going and I can't wait!

Barbara I bet lots of people over book the hotel so if you didn't get in now, you probably will get in later!

AnnaLisa
11-17-2014, 03:35 PM
Congrats!!

Hope we can see some photos later:)

Theodorablau
11-17-2014, 04:44 PM
Hi guys, I am coming as well, got all my classes (WS Sally Strand and Stan Sperlak, Demos Lorenzo Chavez, William Schneider, Barbara Jaenicke, Alain Picard)! I am SOO excited to meet a lot of my FB and WC friends!!

Barbara WC
11-17-2014, 05:34 PM
Well, I decided to sign up after all- my husband will be joining me- we will probably drive down from San Francisco. I haven't tried to book the hotel yet- my DH said maybe we should bring our two small dogs... But if we have a car, I don't care if I stay in the conference hotel or not.

I'm glad that figure painting doesn't seem to be as popular as landscape painting- got into Diane Rappisi two day figure painting workshop, and William Schnider's portrait demo- also chose Mike Beeman's still-life demo- I like his work...

Gosh, I've never made such a quick decision to jump into signing up for something so quickly... have been on the fence about IAPS for a couple of months, just last week decided probably not to go- was going to wait until first of the year to decide-

my gosh, classes fill quickly...

water girl
11-17-2014, 07:11 PM
I'm so happy to see that you are all going to IAPS! I wish I could join you this time, but it's not in the cards. Is it OK if I still envy your adventures? Have fun! There is noting like the excitment of IAPS!

rugman
11-17-2014, 07:36 PM
All you going to IAPS.....we give you a couple weeks after convention to decompress and digest your experience....then we expect to see some fantastic, inspired paintings!! Especially Mudfish, since you started this and have me all jealous of your classes :) Just sayin....:)

bnoonan
11-17-2014, 08:29 PM
Happy Days for you ahead! You will have a great time I'm sure.

mudfish
11-17-2014, 08:56 PM
Way to go, Barbara! If you have an interest in figures don't skip Luanna Luconi Winner. She is GREAT!! I took a workshop of hers a couple years ago. So many of you I'm looking forward to meeting. Ron, I had really hoped you would be there - I so admire your work and I thought you would appreciate my pearl gray snakeskin boots :lol: .

Potoma
11-17-2014, 11:10 PM
YeeHaw - that says it all!

Turpintine45
11-17-2014, 11:38 PM
Take plenty of cash or tie you hands!! Enjoy!

Barbara WC
11-17-2014, 11:48 PM
This will be my first time at IAPS- feel ready to attend this year- been working in pastels about 5 years now, but didn't feel ready last time. Last time IAPS was here, I wanted to take ALL of the classes, didn't know where to start, that told me I wasn't ready to attend a pastel convention yet (the "want" versus "need" thing again!). Now have an idea of what I hope to "take home" from IAPS...

Mudfish- It was a hard decision on which classes to sign up for. I ended up signing up for Dianne Rappisi's workshop because her contemporary approach is where my portraits and figures seem to be headed. At a certain point in my portrait and figure sessions over the past few years, my art has told me where it is going, not where I was telling it to go :)

Looking forward to meeting all of the WC members that attend!

water girl
11-18-2014, 04:47 AM
Let's all make a promise to go to the convention in 2017, if 2015 isn't in your plans. So much to see, experience and learn. You'll see faces you recognize from Pastl Journal or WC. :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:It's a great party!

robertsloan2
11-18-2014, 05:30 AM
2017 is much more likely for me. I'll be 62 and possibly on old age Social Security which would mean I could sell art to fund the trip. Although even if I don't, I could sell art to fund the trip and reasonably call it a business trip. That is definitely a thought. Don't have the resources to do it yet but 2017 is a real possibility.

So just like Nick - take lots of pics and tell me all about it! Some idea of expenses if shared too.

Barbara, that sounds so wonderful. Are you driving or flying? If you drive in 2017 I may want to talk to you about sharing gas and riding on account of planes give me a lot of pain in my messed up ears. You're close enough I could take the BART out to meet you or you could come through SF and pick me up. But not this time, just could not get the money together in time even if I went tossing everything on sale online.

I'll just sit back, dream and plan.

Potoma
11-18-2014, 01:28 PM
It happens during the school year and I have my son 18 more months, so that means 2017 at the earliest for me, too.

I don't even look at what's offered. That would be playing mind games.

Ruthie57
11-18-2014, 03:20 PM
Wish I could be there too! maybe one day......it's a loooong way! I guess I could pencil in 2017......:confused:

Still-trying
11-18-2014, 05:43 PM
I just fav'ed this thread so I can look up some of the names that are new to me. If you all keep this thread alive, those of us not going will be able to learn about a lot of good artists. And yes, please tell us about your experiences. Have a good time and make great art!!!

VanessaT
11-20-2014, 07:30 AM
Hi fellow pastelist! I'm return gin to IAPS as well in 2015. I absolutely had a blast at the 2013 conference and can't wait to go back.

The hotel I see is all sold out. Is there anyone that is already booked that may be interested in sharing a room and splitting the cost? :D

Barbara WC
11-20-2014, 01:32 PM
Vanessa- I read on the IAPS hotel page that you can e-mail Susan Webster at IAPS to get matched with a roommate.

My husband is going to be with me...

VanessaT
11-20-2014, 02:39 PM
Vanessa- I read on the IAPS hotel page that you can e-mail Susan Webster at IAPS to get matched with a roommate.

My husband is going to be with me...

Thanks for the tip Barbara! I've emailed Susan so hopefully that is a solution! :crossfingers: