PDA

View Full Version : violet + green mixes

Patrick1
11-16-2014, 02:18 PM
I recently showed one of my all-time favorite mixes: orange-red + green. Here's one that is less surprising & interesting but still very useful: Dioxazine Purple PV23 + green.

I used Amsterdam Standard 'Permament Blue Violet' which is actually PV23 + PV19 ...but it seems that the amount of PV19 added is insignificant ...it looks and mixes very much like all other pure Dioxazine Purples I have used before. The green is my now-infamous :clear: Amsterdam Standard 'Sap Green' which is pure PG8.

Around the halfway point (step 3), you get a lovely black that is a 'real' black in masstone and slightly blueish in undertone and more so in tints ...much like Paynes Gray. But mixing Paynes Gray is much easier with Ultramarine Blue + Burnt Sienna because it's less finicky about the proportions.

About halfway between green and the midway point (step 4), you get a very dark, blackish green much like Perylene Green/Black. With less purple you would get a slightly brighter 'forest green' or British Racing Green.

When a small amount of green is added to the purple (step 2) you get a dreamy, nocturnal sky blackish-purple.

tinting with white gives a range of soft, smoky purples, blues, and greens, nice for distant hills and rainy/foggy atmosphere.

I have made similar mixes with Phthalo Green YS (PG36) instead of PG8 ...this gives mixes that are a bit less grey, a bit more blueish, but quite similar. Phthalo Green Blue Shade (PG7) gives mixes that are even more stridently blueish ...ask Mythrill about that :lol: .

Mythrill
11-16-2014, 10:04 PM
Hi, Patrick!

First of all, thanks for taking some time and making us a beautiful color chart. Even though I don't like PG8, showing these mixes is always something not only useful, but also fun to read!

I have made similar mixes with Phthalo Green YS (PG36) instead of PG8 ...this gives mixes that are a bit less grey, a bit more blueish, but quite similar. Phthalo Green Blue Shade (PG7) gives mixes that are even more stridently blueish ...ask Mythrill about that :lol: .

That's true. Phthalo Green (PG 7) is not only too green, but it's also very bluish and some hues are bluer than others, due to how paints are made.

Considering PG7 + PV23 loses too much chroma when mixed with white, an interesting alternative to a cyan at a lower chroma would be Ultramarine Blue (PB 29) + Dioxazine Violet (PG 7). If you want cyan that's not made of phthalo and versatile tints with white, this combo would be an intriguing combination!

Mythrill
11-16-2014, 11:11 PM
Just to correct myself:

Considering PG7 + PV23 loses too much chroma when mixed with white, an interesting alternative to a cyan at a lower chroma would be Ultramarine Blue (PB 29) + Dioxazine Violet (PG 7). If you want cyan that's not made of phthalo and versatile tints with white, this combo would be an intriguing combination!

The correct mix here would actually be Ultramarine Blue (PB 29) + Phthalo Blue Green Shade (PG 7).

Patrick1
11-17-2014, 04:18 PM
Thanks, Mythrill. Whaddya mean you don't like PG8? :clear:

Years ago I too sought what kind of cyan can be made from Ultramarine Blue + Phthalo Green BS. I wanted to know just how 'unmixable' cyan is. With the pigments used, it seemed no 'worse' than the blues and purples mixed from PR122 + PB15. Sorry I only did drawdowns/water dilution back then. Nowadays I also make tints for all my swatches.

When I get Phthalo Green YS, I will try mixing that with Ultramarine. Since these are the 'best' examples of secondary green and blue, I'm curious what kind of cyan they can mix...likely a bit duller than this one.