PDA

View Full Version : Quentin de la Tour

geej
11-13-2014, 06:39 PM
I purchased some Quentin de la Tour (Girault) pastels on ebay. All of them
have a plastic tube around them-some of them seem to be stuck in the tubes. Does anyone know how I can get them out without a lot of damage?
Thank you.

Equus Art
11-13-2014, 07:13 PM
Was that the vintage set in the box? I kept my eye on that one but there was a lot of pinks and other colors that I probably would never use. Post a photo of them!

Cat

geej
11-14-2014, 12:03 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Nov-2014/1735147-PB140444_600x800.jpg

Any ideas on how to get them out of the tubes?

J Miller
11-14-2014, 12:17 AM
I assume the tubes are plastic, so I'd slit the tubes lengthwise with an x-acto knife. I'd keep scoring lightly until it goes through. It might take a quite a few strokes and you might end up having to do it 2 - 3 three times per tube depending how flexible the plastic is. I'd start with the broken stick!

Still-trying
11-14-2014, 08:35 AM
What about writing to the company and asking them about it? Never hurts to ask. They might offer to replace them if that's an option for you.

Blayne
11-14-2014, 11:44 AM
Jay's idea to contact the company sounds like the way to go. If you get a reply, do you think gently heating them would expand the plastic? When stripping electrical wire (those copper strands wrapped in plastic), if you score the plastic too deep, you can cut through some of those tiny hairlike wires. So you score it all the way around, then briefly hold a cigarette lighter under the scored line, and the wire melts away on each side. But I'm thinking you might just get enough expansion with a hairdryer to slide the plastic tubing off the pastels. Wonder why they thought it necessary to put that on the sticks?

robertsloan2
11-15-2014, 08:37 PM
Looks like it was a portrait set from the colors and value range. I hope heating them helps get them unstuck, they do look great.

allydoodle
11-16-2014, 03:17 AM
I have these, and I remember I slit the plastic sleeve with an x-axto knife right down the length of the pastel and removed them. It was years ago that I did this, though I'm sure it worked fine.

geej
11-17-2014, 11:53 AM
Thanks all for the input.
Blayne- I tried the hairdryer-had some success.
J. Miller and Chris- I will try the x-acto knife next on the remaining.
Jay- I e-mailed the company- haven't heard back yet.
Robert- Portraits? Oh Boy- not yet- wouldn't dare- but some day...