PDA

View Full Version : Do you use music as a source of inspiration when you create?

Smileawhyl
10-02-2003, 09:57 PM
:music:

I have always found music to be a great impetus to keep me inspired and working through a project. From Miles Davis "Blue in Green" for work of introspection, Elvis Costello's "Pump It Up" for fun and energy, to Smash Mouth's "All Star" when I want to stupidly ignore what anyone else's voice is trying to say to bring me down.

I'm really interested what, if any, music that WC members might use to put them in the mood to sustain the energy of their work.

all the best :)

Patty

seaglass
10-02-2003, 10:02 PM
I love to crank up Bach in the old earphones. (i know, but that's just how I am). Right now I'm totally into Norah Jones, too. "Come away with me".......

Smileawhyl
10-02-2003, 10:13 PM
I love your organic 'Midsummer Night's Dream' beads.

The lyrical order and methodical chaos of classical music also has a place on my palette. I like Ravel and most of the composers who mirror the birth and blossom of the impressionists.

Isn't Nora Jones the daughter of Ravi Shankar?

seaglass
10-03-2003, 01:18 AM
Thank you, Patty!! And I have no idea who Norah belongs to. :)

acasto
10-03-2003, 05:17 AM
I listen to whatever matches the mood or work I am doing. Anything from classical to psych-trance. Sometimes I like to turn on an internet radio station and just let it play so I don't have to worry about changing it every ten minutes.

- Adam

Smileawhyl
10-03-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by acasto
Sometimes I like to turn on an internet radio station and just let it play so I don't have to worry about changing it every ten minutes.

- Adam

Interesting. I've never tried using internet radio for that purpose, but it's worth a try.

Thanks Adam :)

DanaT
10-03-2003, 11:40 PM
No but I get my most creative ideas when I'm cleaning house listening to the radio. :)

Smileawhyl
10-04-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by DanaT
No but I get my most creative ideas when I'm cleaning house listening to the radio. :)

LOL Dana, while I can relate to being inspired by music, this in conjunction with cleaning the house, for me, would be distressing because I would be more likely to focus on how bizarre it would be for me to actually be cleaning the house!

Thanks Dana :)

Cathy Morgan
10-04-2003, 09:41 PM
It can help me a lot to link a certain piece of music, or a certain CD, to studio work. Years ago I made a tape of favorite music - some off the radio, some off other tapes or LP records. (I do mean "years ago.") Whenever I do blacksmithing - forging iron for bowl sculptures - playing that tape is both energizing and reassuring. When I hear it I "let go" in some way and start to feel confident.

Also I sometimes link a specific piece of music to work on a specific bowl. It helps me get with that bowl, and carry it forward for however many weeks or months it takes to finish it.

Recently I bought a CD of old Doris Day songs - because I wanted the song "There's a Song in My Heart." Somehow I kind of got hooked on the CD - played it through all the painting and varnishing cycles on two bowls I'm workig on. Now unless I need total silence while working on those bowls, I put on that CD. Right away I'm "with" these two pieces and in working mode.

Sometimes the music piece is a popular song, other times opera or other classical music. Sometimes I hunt for music that will fit a piece I'm working on. When I find it, I make a tape or CD of that music repeated over and over. It really helps me sustain the feeling of an artwork that takes a long time to do.

Smileawhyl
10-05-2003, 10:54 AM
Thanks for your post, Cathy.

You use some great verbs, "energizing" "reassuring"!

As well as "unless I need total silence while working." The punctuation of silence is important to me as well.

btw, I peeked at your links and that really is some exhuberant work you are doing. Is there a place where I can see some of these bowls?

Best regards,

Patty

Cathy Morgan
10-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Smileawhyl
Is there a place where I can see some of these bowls?

I just finished two today, in the new mixed media series (iron, paper, copper mesh and more.) Next comes photography - then I'll be delighted to send you a photo. I'm working on my website but of course I need the photos before I publish it.

Thanks very much for your interest.

Keith Russell
10-05-2003, 02:49 PM
The Pink Opaque, Cocteau Twins
Bone Machine, Tom Waits
Cost of Living, Rick Wakeman
Ink, The Fixx
Pride, Robert Palmer
Ninth Symphony, Beethoven, conducted by Karajan
Hounds of Love, Kate Bush
Bright Red, Laurie Anderson
From the Choirgirl Hotel, Tori Amos
Loehengrin, Wagner

K

acasto
10-05-2003, 03:28 PM
As well as "unless I need total silence while working." The punctuation of silence is important to me as well.

But without the music... the voices appear :(

Not really, at least not all the time. They've been fixed with some pills... but perhaps it's the silence of them not being there that drives me crazy. I don't know what's more frightening, voices, or echoes of emptiness.

- Adam

Smileawhyl
10-05-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Keith Russell
The Pink Opaque, Cocteau Twins
Bone Machine, Tom Waits
Cost of Living, Rick Wakeman
Ink, The Fixx
Pride, Robert Palmer
Ninth Symphony, Beethoven, conducted by Karajan
Hounds of Love, Kate Bush
Bright Red, Laurie Anderson
From the Choirgirl Hotel, Tori Amos
Loehengrin, Wagner

K [/B]

Keith, you just reminded to buy Bone Machine, (. . . looking at my Beautiful Maladies--The Island Years and Mule Variations as I try to type :)

Thanks!

Patty

Smileawhyl
10-05-2003, 04:33 PM

But without the music... the voices appear :(

Not really, at least not all the time. They've been fixed with some pills... but perhaps it's the silence of them not being there that drives me crazy. I don't know what's more frightening, voices, or echoes of emptiness.

Music sounds like a good alternative to fill the emptiness, Adam.

The best pianist I ever met suffers from schizophrenia, but between the meds and the music, he holds it all together, and he taught me some great performance riffs.

Hey! And I tried internet radio (Radio Free Virgin), but I'd rather not download anyone else's player. Do you have any suggestions? Right now I only have Windows Media Player and I don't want to start bogging down my computer with outside downloads.

Thanks,

Patty

acasto
10-05-2003, 05:07 PM
Oops, I should've noted that I'm bipolar. You're right though about schizophrenia, it's a very difficult condition, and those who live through it are amazing individuals.

About the internet radio, I'm just using Windows Meida Palyer 9. Which version do you have?

- Adam

Keith Russell
10-05-2003, 05:26 PM
Patty, I have about eight or nine of his discs, not all of them.

But, of the ones I have...Bone Machine is--right now--my favourite Tom Waits CD.

K

Smileawhyl
10-05-2003, 06:42 PM
Version 9, Adam, and I finally figured it out (and am very happy because they are playing Elvis Costello Green Shirt right now :) ) The only problem I can see with this is that once I get all jones'd for a song, I want to hear it over and over again. (Okay, now it's Pink Floyd . . . I used to go to the Hayden Planetarium, when I visited NYC, every Saturday night for their 11 p.m. laser light show of Dark Side of the Moon . . . yeah, I can do internet radio!)

Well, I do know something about bi-polar. My ex-husband had it and my oldest daughter has it to a marginally extreme degree (i.e. she can keep a job but for no longer than 2 years at a time before blowing up the job and everyone around her). She has never heard voices, at least not that she's told me about, but she is very frightened to be alone and has a lot of panic attacks. She is struggling to find the right meds. I hope you are doing better than she in that regard.

And where can I see some of your work? I think you use acrylics don't you?

Patty

Smileawhyl
10-05-2003, 07:06 PM
Keith, I don't even have 8 or 9 discs, but I know how his music makes me feel and I've heard some really nice reviews about Bone Machine . I don't hear enough about him, so when his name comes up I try to pay attention. And I know all too well that the only way you can really show a musician you care is to buy his music. LOL

Smileawhyl
10-05-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Cathy Morgan

I just finished two today, in the new mixed media series (iron, paper, copper mesh and more.) Next comes photography - then I'll be delighted to send you a photo. I'm working on my website but of course I need the photos before I publish it.

Please do send me a picture. It sounds so interesting! :)

I'm one of those 'everything AND the kitchen sink' type of artists and the description of materials is intriguing.

it'sALLart
10-05-2003, 08:29 PM
not sure if anyone out there has heard of him , but Steve Tibbitts is about the best stuff i've ever listened to while painting. totally takes you "out there". i've done monster painting sessions for 9 hours listening to him. it helps to have MP3's so you never have to change the CD's. :-)

Smileawhyl
10-05-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by it'sALLart
not sure if anyone out there has heard of him , but Steve Tibbitts is about the best stuff i've ever listened to while painting. totally takes you "out there". i've done monster painting sessions for 9 hours listening to him. it helps to have MP3's so you never have to change the CD's. :-)

First, thank you for posting to this thread.

Second, please put a link (I wouldn't do that without your permission) to your site in this thread if it is okay by you because I want all creative music lovers to see your work.

Third, please tell me which Steve Tibbitts album you would recommend for a first impression.

Fourth (and anyone who has ever been in a thread with me knows this doesn't happen often), I am speechless. If Steve Tibbitts helped you do that amazing work, we all need a dose of him. And this Forum could use even one of the detailed tutorials you have on your site.

Thanks so much! . . . me . . . speechless . . .

it'sALLart
10-05-2003, 09:46 PM
wow. smile, you are welcome and THANK YOU, because you gave me a much needed boost. thanks for your compliments, they meant a lot to me today as i was flagging in confidence!

ok, steve's site: www.frammis.com

the CD that i would get first would be northern song, because it is the most "spacious" of all of them. (yes, i have all of them.) then, get safe journey, because it starts to introduce his later flavors slowly... then just pick any of them after that. i am really getting into "fall of us all" right now and "big map idea" because they both are very energizing and i'm entering an abstract phase and that kind of music works well for me.

my site:

http://www.itsallart.com

just go to the "online gallery" green button at the top, then go to the "creeks and waterways" show, there's a little link to the demo for the painting "reflections".

kinda funny, i just posted a rather whiney thing in the discussions area about being bummed due to lack of sales. so you've helped me realize that all success is not sales related. if you've been rendered speechless by my work, then i've achieved some kind of success. color me happy. :-)

Smileawhyl
10-05-2003, 10:09 PM
entering your abstract phase? . . . speechless

Steve Tibbitts' been bery bery good to you . . .

it'sALLart
10-05-2003, 10:34 PM
well, smile, yes, entering it again.... i vascillate all over the place... i'm schizophrenic when it comes to styles of art. at least i've gotten it down to doing the same style for a few months instead of changing daily. i think it's the beer. or perhaps the tibbitts.

acasto
10-06-2003, 11:12 AM
And where can I see some of your work? I think you use acrylics don't you?

I don't have a site up yet. I spend so much of my time working on computers and internal sites, that I don't get to enthusiastic about setting up my own. Hoepfully one day soon though.

I do have one picture of a painting I did on my parents site's sever though. It's the only one I have up now 'cause I've only been paiting for a little over a month now.

http://www.mountainshowcasegroup.com/assets/images/adams/depressed_fairy.jpg

It's was basically an expression of mood.

- Adam

Smileawhyl
10-06-2003, 06:47 PM

http://www.mountainshowcasegroup.com/assets/images/adams/depressed_fairy.jpg

- Adam

OK, I think I saw that somewhere in here, or at least a link to it. For painting only a month this is great. It reminds me of a very muted Rousseau and for expressing a mood, a very good conveyor. LOL Rousseau would have thrown in some deep shadows and vines and called it "Primal Fairy", quite a different mood :)

Thanks for the link. One of the interesting aspects of this thread has been seeing the types of work people are creating and the music they contribute to the effort.

Looks like your parents are part of the Smokey Mountain artisan community. You could add a new depth to the art of the area.

best regards,

Patty

Smileawhyl
10-06-2003, 07:07 PM
i think it's the beer. or perhaps the tibbitts.

. . . beer . . . tibbitts . . . beer . . . tibbitts . . .

any particular brand of beer? LOLOL :)

Keith Russell
10-07-2003, 07:44 PM
Keith, I don't even have 8 or 9 discs, but I know how his music makes me feel and I've heard some really nice reviews about Bone Machine . I don't hear enough about him, so when his name comes up I try to pay attention. And I know all too well that the only way you can really show a musician you care is to buy his music. LOL

Smile, absolutely.

I have over 1,000 CDs, with five more from EBay, and over a dozen from BMG, and at least ten from Columbia, on the way.

I buy an average of 2 CDs a week, and have since 1988, when I began collecting the darned things.

K

Smileawhyl
10-08-2003, 09:02 PM

I have over 1,000 CDs, with five more from EBay, and over a dozen from BMG, and at least ten from Columbia, on the way.

I buy an average of 2 CDs a week, and have since 1988, when I began collecting the darned things.

K

K, I'm on my way to that again. My daughter used to manage a record store so I got all the good stuff first, but after a period of time where I gave up most worldly goods, like a car where I used to spend a lot of time hearing new music, television, newspapers--a sort of sensory reconnection with myself--I found that return to civilization meant my collection had been raided and I've had to start again.

You would think, living in the middle of a major metropolis, that I should be able to walk into a record store and find Steve Tibbitts, but it seems Wash DC has its own agenda, so I've had to order his music online. I'm excited about it, though. In reading Tibbitts' reviews they mention John Fahey (I do have everything he and Leo Kottke have done . . . glad none of my 'raiders' had an appreciation for them) and I definitely like eastern influenced music, the Sabre Brothers and Sufi music in general, so I look forward to opening this musical window. Are you familiar with him?

Also, I just got an invitation to paint a series of picture windows that separate the main dining area from the hallways in a nursing home, and I was thinking about Tom Waits, some of his more sentimental stuff, as a nostalgic theme palette--Ever Since I Put Your Picture In A Frame--from Mule Variations. This should be interesting since I haven't painted windows since doing campaign headquarters windows in the 70's.

it'sALLart
10-09-2003, 08:05 AM
the odd thing about Tibbits, i had a friend give me the LP of Northern Song way back in the late 70's... and just sort of never listened to it. I mean REALLY listened to it. I had taped one song off of it back when those 90 minute cassettes first came out but that was it. (LP's, cassettes, remember those?)

then, 2 years ago, Restoration Hardware came out with those little record players that were only 100 bucks and i thought, why not? I had all these great LP's and wanted to hear them again. I modified the player to play thru my big stereo speakers and was having a blast in my studio. Then I put on Tibbits. woah.... I guess you have to cross that 40 year line to understand because I was hearing things I never heard on there before.

Also, "Big map idea" is incredible to do gardening with, via discman. very zen.

what kind of beer? MGD or Michelob Lager or whatever's cheap at the time. Hey, I'm not picky about beer, just music. oh, and brushes.

taffetta
10-09-2003, 10:58 AM
depends, most of what i listen to is a bit loud and raucous.
mostly old school punk, pop punk, industrial metal, hard house, anything thats loud, noisy and i can sing along to in bits - which eaves out most of the above list, makes me paint faster in the main.
rammstein, green day, two sick monkeys, rancid, linkin park, sort of type stuff.

cryingraven
10-09-2003, 03:15 PM
I listen to music all the time when I paint. I listen to a lot of Coltrane. I also listen to Joanne Shennendoah, Billie Holiday, Robbie Robertson, Miles Davis, Elton John , Lou Reed and Duke Ellington. I choose the cd's according to my mood. I was told recently by my wife (my greatest critic , supporter and inspiration) told that when I listen to Billie Holiday and Lou Reed my paintings come out dark and cool. Oh by the way I just but the Nora Jones cd. I love it. we'll see how the painting I'm working on now comes out.

Jack

Smileawhyl
10-09-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by taffetta
depends, most of what i listen to is a bit loud and raucous.
mostly old school punk, pop punk, industrial metal, hard house, anything thats loud, noisy and i can sing along to in bits - which eaves out most of the above list, makes me paint faster in the main.
rammstein, green day, two sick monkeys, rancid, linkin park, sort of type stuff.

Yeah, but whatever you are listening to is effective for you. I visited your link and really like your palette and vibrant skintones. Was that your mixed media also? I really enjoyed that, especially 'pro patria'. Love copper, especially copperfoil.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Patty

Smileawhyl
10-09-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by cryingraven
I listen to music all the time when I paint. I listen to a lot of Coltrane. I also listen to Joanne Shennendoah, Billie Holiday, Robbie Robertson, Miles Davis, Elton John , Lou Reed and Duke Ellington. I choose the cd's according to my mood. I was told recently by my wife (my greatest critic , supporter and inspiration) told that when I listen to Billie Holiday and Lou Reed my paintings come out dark and cool. Oh by the way I just but the Nora Jones cd. I love it. we'll see how the painting I'm working on now comes out.

Jack

Funny, for whatever differences my ex and I had, he was always very supportive of my art. Nice jazz mix, with a little Elton thrown in :)

Miles' blue in green defines 'yearning' to me but I've never painted to it. I would like to see some of your work. That has been one of the most fascinating things about the artists who have replied. But I still haven't found out if Norah Jones is Ravi Shankar's daughter. A bit of irony is always nice.

Thanks for the post!

Patty

Smileawhyl
10-09-2003, 09:49 PM
the odd thing about Tibbits, i had a friend give me the LP of Northern Song way back in the late 70's... and just sort of never listened to it. I mean REALLY listened to it. I had taped one song off of it back when those 90 minute cassettes first came out but that was it. (LP's, cassettes, remember those?)

woah.... I guess you have to cross that 40 year line to understand because I was hearing things I never heard on there before.

Crossed it, never looked back! LOL My worst birthday was 26. I enjoy life a lot more now. My kids are so much older at a younger age. How's that happen? I've had an inverse experience with some music that I used to love, though. But that put me on a path to a more eastern musical palette, which is very rewarding. I look forward to the arrival of my own Tibbitts!

Punky
10-10-2003, 11:06 AM
I have found that music really helps me get involved in my painting. I often listen to classical or jazz music while I am painting. Also, one of my favorites is the soundtrack from "The Red Violin" - some great music.

Dellamorte
10-11-2003, 08:06 AM

Keith, you just reminded to buy Bone Machine, (. . . looking at my Beautiful Maladies--The Island Years and Mule Variations as I try to type :)

Thanks!

Patty

Bone Machine started me on Tom! Besides Mule Variations Tom fans should also grab Blue Valentine, Frank's Wild Years, Rain Dogs, The Black Rider, ....oh just get it all. (If you have B.M., then you'll probably already have some songs from these albums of course, but there's some good ones not on there)
He's had two new albums released last year as well, Alice, and Blood Money.

Also, John Hammond's Wicked Grin has a slew of Tom cover songs, as well as Tom himself appearing here and there on the album.

Keith Russell
10-12-2003, 10:37 PM
...how could you fail to mention Waits' Swordfishtrombones?

K

Keith Russell
10-12-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by cryingraven

Jack

Lou Reed and Laurie Anderson have been a couple for a few years now.

Are you familiar with Laurie Anderson?

K

cryingraven
10-15-2003, 08:48 AM
I'm not familure w/Laurie Anderson... who is she???

Keith Russell
10-15-2003, 07:32 PM
www.laurieanderson.com

K

Smileawhyl
10-15-2003, 07:48 PM
Lou Reed and Laurie Anderson, oddly appropriate. The link is missing some images. I really would like to see more of her art.

I was surprised when I finally got into Tom Waits, at what a prolific songwriter he happens to be. I didn't know until I heard him sing "Downtown Train". I have seen John Hammond on Austin City Limits singing Tom Waits songs. It was quite a treat!

Dellamorte
10-16-2003, 05:26 AM
I have seen John Hammond on Austin City Limits singing Tom Waits songs. It was quite a treat!

Agh! Damn I didn't even know he ever made an appearance on there. I need to watch more TV sometimes.

it'sALLart
10-16-2003, 08:39 AM
Is Tom Waits the guy that sings "The Piano Has Been Drinking" ?

Wondering....

Austin City Limits is a little piece of heaven in a desert of bad TV.

Hey Patty, have you tried yur tibbits today?

Smileawhyl
10-16-2003, 09:38 AM
Is Tom Waits the guy that sings "The Piano Has Been Drinking" ?

Wondering....

Austin City Limits is a little piece of heaven in a desert of bad TV.

Hey Patty, have you tried yur tibbits today?

I haven't seen the CDs come in yet. I'm not sure how they were shipped. Maybe that's why I've been in such a weird mood lately? Must . . . be . . . patient . . .

Keith would be a better source, or better yet Dellamorte, about "The Piano Has Been Drinking". Tom takes you in and out of every saloon in every corner of the world. Sounds a lot like him though. That was the lovely part about hearing John Hammond on ACL, I recognized the music but not the group. Nobody I've heard of has a voice like Tom Waits. I have a barely live TV which doesn't get PBS stations anymore and I really do miss Austin City Limits. It was always a surprise . . . and a good one!

Keith Russell
10-16-2003, 03:59 PM
"The Piano Has Been Drinking (Not Me)", from the Tom Waits album, Closing Time.

(One Waits album I don't have, yet...)

K

gillyvu
10-16-2003, 05:47 PM
I love using music, and actually for art class we're actually incorporating music into art.

We're choosing songs that concern important issues. (I chose "Awful" by Hole) You choose some words from the song that somehow relate to the issue, without being too obvious. Then we're using cups, stacked. We fill them with symbols representing the song, and the issue. Nothing cliche, like heart for love, etc. One thing you have to put in is a small picture of the songwriter. Another objectif is to not make it obvious that they are cups, but one singular container. It sounds like it is going to be lots of fun. Havn't really started yet though.

"Our teacher was inspired by the movie, I forgot, the new one that just came out with Jack Black. We also looked at slides of a group of artists, I also forgot the name of the group but who I think are from Montreal. They went to clubs and worked on large canvases and did a sort of underground way. They potray the performers with colour representing the mood of the songs. They also incorporate underground and even popular culture into their work, like Star Wars, and Graffiti. It was very inspiring.

I love listening to music while I do art, even on my own. My favorites are emotional songs, and musiciens who have that stage presence (or CD presence). Also, hockey games are great to listen to on the radio and do art. Especially a one-one tie. Yet, I always end up getting a bit more paint on my hands, and kinda spread it around a bit. Not much though. My rant is now over!

Smileawhyl
10-16-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by gillyvu
I Also, hockey games are great to listen to on the radio and do art. Especially a one-one tie. Yet, I always end up getting a bit more paint on my hands, and kinda spread it around a bit. Not much though. My rant is now over!

I didn't think it was a rant, it was sweet and elegant. LOL how hockey got dropped into it escapes me. That's definitely a new one for me! I don't think I could paint listening to a basketball game, but I think there are many Chicago Cubs fans who could benefit from a little "art" therapy after their disappointing loss 2 nights ago.

I, too, used to love group instruction where we all painted and drew the same subject from our own perspective. Until I ran into the art professor from Hades. He made us all paint the same thing in the exact same way (painting as though we were rolling the picture out onto the canvas an inch at a time. I thought it was nuts to have us paint "2 more inches from the corner" for a class period. The funniest part was that we had our end of semester show at his house, and when we finally got to see his work, he only used black paint on white canvas, very japanese looking, limited to no more than 5 big strokes, which he said took him months to contemplate before he would 'attack the canvas' with one monster stroke.

gillyvu
10-16-2003, 09:12 PM
Maybe we should set up an art therapy group for all you poor Cub fans!!! (Please don't kill the guy who caught that ball)

it'sALLart
10-16-2003, 09:46 PM
Hey, thanks Keith R, I'll have to make that my first introduction as a buyer of Tom Waits... i've seen him around for a while, just havnt taken the plunge.

Smileawhyl
10-22-2003, 11:04 PM
I knew a handful of Tom Waits songs early in his career and actually considered that he was a very good character actor as much as a musician. The turning point for me with him as a musician was Beautiful Maladies: The Island Years. I couldn't wait for the next album once I had that one. Mule Variations was the next--my favorite--I do lots of painting to that one as it takes me quickly from rowdy and irreverent to tender and nostalgic in the short periods I have available to paint.

Tibbitts is sooooooo big. I am enjoying every minute I get with his music. Keith H is right about starting with Northern Song. You have to know if you can like him there. The next album, Safe Journey is such an expansive musical idea of a journey, all translated only by notes and rhythms. I look forward to having the time to invest in using this as a backdrop for a large, difficult project.

Keith Russell
10-24-2003, 10:16 AM
Still, if its energy you want, you can't do much better than KMFDM's Nihil...

K

Smileawhyl
10-24-2003, 12:06 PM
Still, if its energy you want, you can't do much better than KMFDM's Nihil...

K

I'll consider KMFCM's if you can promise me that it won't make me dance my butt off between brush strokes. At least with Mule Variations I get a soothing break every other song or so (okay, I actually start to 'tear up' when "Take it with me when I go" comes on). My "on/off" switch is usually stuck in the 'on' position to begin with.

Keith Russell
10-24-2003, 05:56 PM
Well, KMFDM is a kind of dance music, I suppose.

Mainly, though, it's just...loud!

K

Smileawhyl
10-24-2003, 06:33 PM
I did go out at lunch today but my favorite bookstore didn't have Nihil. I settled, instead, for a CD of "Good Charlotte" but only because they are from where I used to live in Maryland. When I asked the clerk about them he said 'you mean the mediocre GREEN DAY ? I don't like Green Day. This could be bad news.

And I am actually growing more and more fond of Steely Dan's Everything Must Go without a few of the more annoying songs. On a different level from Keith H's Tibbitts Safe Journey it is a very tongue in cheek retail gluttony salute.

Homeward bound--Patty

it'sALLart
10-24-2003, 08:04 PM
oooh, steely dan.... another fave of mine. although i've not heard of that (i'm so outta the loop, man) is that new? should I get it? or should I just get a cd of the ones i like from someone else's computer? hee hee.

Smileawhyl
10-24-2003, 08:24 PM
oooh, steely dan.... another fave of mine. although i've not heard of that (i'm so outta the loop, man) is that new? should I get it? or should I just get a cd of the ones i like from someone else's computer? hee hee.

I'm sure we could work something out:) I'd really like to see you have Mule Variations and throwing in Everything Must Go wouldn't be that big a stretch. Keith R and I have Two Against Nature , their next to last one, but I've found some really great qualities about the Everything Must Go (their most recent) in comparison to Two Against Nature, especially if you are into irony. Personally, I have a bowl of it (irony) for breakfast every morning before throwing my body to corporate america. Helps make the deadlines!

:) Patty

Keith Russell
10-25-2003, 08:09 PM
Green Day isn't fit to tie KMFDM's shoes, IMO.

KMFDM have been doing the same kind of in-your-face, take no prisoners, hardcore techno-punk-metal for twenty years--way before NIN, Rammstein, Rob Zombie, Marilyn Manson, and Prodigy. Green Day? Give me a break.

Were the members of Green Day even alive in 1984?

KMFDM is the loudest band I've ever seen live. (And, I saw Ozzy with Rhoads in '83, and Maiden in '84.)

K

Smileawhyl
10-26-2003, 03:23 PM
Well, I have to say that I really like Good Charlotte. They are young, artful, and honest. IMO that says a lot for a suburban angst band.

I will have to buy KMFDM to have an opinion about them. In general, I developed a taste for loud music as I grew older and even though I'm over 40, I'm an anomalous headbanger at times. Maybe it was from being so obedient (without having been given a good reason to be) when I was younger.

Keith H, I'm still holding off on opening Exploded View. What could it be? Maybe fear? LOLOL Maybe I'll turn off the sound on the TV and play it while rewatching The Matrix Reloaded!

I have enjoyed some smooth moments, too, with Coltrane (thanks, CryingRaven).

it'sALLart
10-26-2003, 06:14 PM
well, smyl, i had exploded view, big map idea, northern song and safe journey along with alex degrassi all loaded in the cd player to paint with today. totally zen'd out here now. i think exploded is very lively comparitively speaking so be prepared.

Smileawhyl
10-26-2003, 07:04 PM
well, smyl, i had exploded view, big map idea, northern song and safe journey along with alex degrassi all loaded in the cd player to paint with today. totally zen'd out here now. i think exploded is very lively comparitively speaking so be prepared.

Are you kidding? That's why I'm scared :eek:

And you know I'm really looking forward to seeing this afternoon's results :)

Seraph
10-28-2003, 02:30 AM
Hey everyone.
Im more or less brand new here but I just had to jump in and contribute my two cents to this thread!

I almost always listen to music when I paint, although its hard for me to think of a time when Im not listening to something.

Beyond just being something to break the silence while Im working, though, I find that I can get a huge amount of inspiration from music. Tool is without a doubt my favourite band ever, and the inspiration for a disproportionately large amount of my artwork, but I listen to just about everything under the sun, from Emperor to Mozart and almost everything in between.

Music and visual art have a lot in common and its really interesting to see how much they influence each other. Great thread, if I may say so myself. Just my opinion.

~Seraph

Andrew
10-28-2003, 09:19 AM
I frequently through CDs in the changer and listen to them on random to urge me onward in my artistic endeavors. Whether the music inspires the painting or the work inspires the choice of music is pure subjective.

Andrew

Smileawhyl
10-28-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Andrew
I frequently through CDs in the changer and listen to them on random to urge me onward in my artistic endeavors. Whether the music inspires the painting or the work inspires the choice of music is pure subjective.

Andrew

Now THAT would make a good Project in WetCanvas! Take 5 different CD's, play 'creative roulette', give yourself a time limit and see what you come up with.

Love your "quote" . . . love Rowdy Roddy Piper!

And I thoroughly agree with you, Seraph. 'Art' cannot be confined to canvas. IMO art (of the hands) and music are both intuitive languages, spoken freely among those who want to understand each other or themselves.

Baltar
10-28-2003, 08:44 PM
Windows media player has a good internet radio on it. I have been using musicmatch and have been pretty happy with it. The digital cable has some real good stations on it also.

Smileawhyl
10-28-2003, 09:50 PM
This is a pretty happy thread. I've gotten a lot from hearing what everyone is listening to and seeing their art work. My only real problem is that I'm a better 'angry' painter than happy painter and I just don't have the room right now to sling oil and turpentine like I used to.

But I've had a great time re-visiting old 'friends' (music I just forgot to take time with) and making some new friends. ItsAllArt has really opened me up to Tibbitts. Tibbitts seems to keep me calm enough to try and stick with acrylics until I can find more room for oils.

If you've got some links or threads where your work can be found, let us know. There quite a broad spectrum of work I've seen from the participants in this thread.

Keith Russell
11-03-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Seraph
Hey everyone.
Im more or less brand new here but I just had to jump in and contribute my two cents to this thread!

I almost always listen to music when I paint, although its hard for me to think of a time when Im not listening to something.

Beyond just being something to break the silence while Im working, though, I find that I can get a huge amount of inspiration from music. Tool is without a doubt my favourite band ever, and the inspiration for a disproportionately large amount of my artwork, but I listen to just about everything under the sun, from Emperor to Mozart and almost everything in between.

Music and visual art have a lot in common and its really interesting to see how much they influence each other. Great thread, if I may say so myself. Just my opinion.

~Seraph

Two years ago, Tool toured with one of my favourite bands, King Crimson.

If you like Tool, you owe it to yourself to check out Crimson's latest, The Power to Believe.

K

Smileawhyl
11-03-2003, 05:42 PM

Two years ago, Tool toured with one of my favourite bands, King Crimson.

If you like Tool, you owe it to yourself to check out Crimson's latest, The Power to Believe.

K

I nearly bought that the day I was looking for KFMDM's album. I'll give it a spin at Barnes and Noble next time I'm there.

Gisele
11-05-2003, 12:40 PM
Music is a must for me. Anyting from classical, international, new age to jazz, soft rock....as long as it suits the mood.

Gisele:)

Smileawhyl
11-05-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Gisele
Music is a must for me. Anyting from classical, international, new age to jazz, soft rock....as long as it suits the mood.

Gisele:)

How about using it to help direct a mood? I know I pick up certain music when I want to prepare for a certain task or painting.

Punky
11-06-2003, 09:04 AM
How about using it to help direct a mood? I know I pick up certain music when I want to prepare for a certain task or painting.

I find that certain music is great for directing a mood. One thing I notice is that jazz affects my brush strokes and that I get into a rhythmic brushstroke which really connects with the music.

Elven Prince
11-06-2003, 09:36 AM
Enya I find to be very relaxing and inspiring to draw too. When I need energy i just listen to the local mix station on the radio. Works for me! :D

l0v3n
11-22-2003, 02:28 AM
I used to think msic was inspiriting but it somehow is not useful to me anymore. I find it very distracting. Which I find very odd... I'm going through a phase of a "New" me, maybe?

Smileawhyl
11-22-2003, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by l0v3n
I used to think msic was inspiriting but it somehow is not useful to me anymore. I find it very distracting. Which I find very odd... I'm going through a phase of a "New" me, maybe?
Actually, I think I know a bit of what you are referring to. I've found with the piece I'm now working on, although I used music to get it started, I now need to concentrate and really don't want further distractions since I have the completed image in my mind. I also found that curious.

Keith Russell
11-26-2003, 01:31 AM
I'm not finding music to be distracting enough.

It's time for a DVD player for the studio!

K

waynebrekke
11-29-2003, 12:29 PM
Being a musician myself, I use music heavily in my art. I always paint with music. Many different styles. I name many of my paintings after song titles, lyrics, or whatnot. The meaning is mine but the soundtrack of the time I was painting is due to the music.

I have a vision of putting on a "gig" where I have a PA blasting out my favorite tunes while I paint on a large canvas or panel. Doing this at a venue and charging a small cover. I am a very animated painter and use my hands and fingers too, I've done this at some of my art openings. It definately draws a crowd, and the merging of art and music is key to enjoying my art.

eh, it's what I do...

Visit my site and see! (http://www.wayneartgallery.com)

voodoolily
11-29-2003, 03:13 PM
It depends on what I'm doing and on what mood I'm in. Usually if I'm at home working, I will most likely listen to music. More often then not I throw in some Beck or anti-folk, just because I love the spirit.

If I'm doing photography on the other hand, I don't want any music (unless it's 'live band' kind of shots - which I rarely do), tv, etc. I like to be able to really concentrate, and I just can't concentrate on taking a good picture if there's somebody with me who's yapping in my ear.

Smileawhyl
11-29-2003, 09:30 PM
Music actually works out for me at large functions. I try to get candid shots and the music helps distract my subjects. Now, if I could keep the drinks out of their hands . . .

Keith Russell
12-03-2003, 12:49 AM
Wayne, what new music are you listening to these days?

K

dolphinfire
12-03-2003, 10:11 AM
I find music helps me zone out the distractions and help me focus.:music:

gealflings
12-03-2003, 04:35 PM
Jumping into this a little late, but..

I've been fighting for inspiration for a couple of days - serious kicking and screaming, so yesterday I popped in "pretty hate machine" by Nine Inch Nails (something I haven't listened to in YEARS), sat down and started sketching. Next thing I knew, the CD was over, and I had a really good start on what I was doing. hehehe

Other than that, I'm usually good with anything by Bowie. :D :evil:

Keith Russell
12-03-2003, 05:19 PM
Sarah, have you heard Johnny Cash' cover of Hurt?

I kid you not. It'll send a chill down your spine.

Amazing...

K

arourapope
12-03-2003, 05:41 PM
I just recently got turned on to the Ozric Tentacles. Pretty exciting stuff. :)

gealflings
12-03-2003, 05:59 PM
Keith: I have - it is pretty amazing. The first time I heard it, I swore I was hallucinating. "That CAN'T be Johnny Cash covering NIN, can it??!" Pretty amazing how he gets so much angst into it with just the acoustic guitar and all.

I still like Bowie's version best, but I'm mildly obsessed.. heh

EarthTones
12-06-2003, 01:52 AM
Wow...what a great topic!

I listen to music 24/7...it definitley feeds my soul and tickles my spirit. When I am creating I can be playing anything including Nina Simone, Duke Ellington and John Coltrane to No Doubt, Jazzanova, Ursula Rucker to trip-hop, trance, techno.

Sometimes I pop a particular cd in depending on my mood...and other times I just pop a random cd in first, and take it from there.

Keith Russell
12-10-2003, 12:06 PM
Sarah, I haven't heard Bowie's version. I'll have to check that out, thanks!

K

diamondbird
01-08-2004, 10:07 PM
:music:
Like dolphin fire, I also use music to tune to the painting that I'm working on.....
Am Listening to Ravi Shankar and Ali Akbar Khan in a raga seesion at the moment...good aid to concentration.
Also love slow jazz...such as Wilton Felders... and great voices such as Virginia Rodrigues (...her first Ablum ..Sol Negro...fantastic) :music: :music:
:angel: :angel:

Termini.
01-31-2004, 11:41 PM
A little Led Zepplin, some Def Leopard, More of the Doors, and alota George Thorougood(However that is spelled).

Keith Russell
02-01-2004, 12:19 PM
Lately, I can't get enough of Klaus Schulze, or Wendy Carlos...

K

Bad Dobby
02-01-2004, 02:02 PM
Do I use music as a source of inspiration when I paint? Nope!

I might if I lived somewhere else .. But here, finding quiet away from music is a daily challenge. In Mexico there are no "disturbing the peace" violations. We are constantly bombarded by noise with no recourse. All the shops have huge speakers in their doorways blasting music into the streets (I guess this is suppose to attract customers ... I put my fingers in my ears and run past). I used to love to go to the parks to read .. but over a year ago they installed speakers thorughout all the parks ... so now music is piped in, very annoying. Kids have cars with speakers angled out of the windows with loud music blasting, enough to pop your eardrums. Cars with huge electrical megaphones drive up and down the streets all down soliciting this and that, from events, to advertisements, to political propoganda. The water and gas sales people blast bell and whistle noises and musical jingles. The hundred Churches in the area chime their bells all day long to remind people of their religious commitments. The car horn is used to the extreme here. If you live on a street where young people live together (like 3 women or 3 men) as I do, then you are treated to music every Friday and Saturday night until 5am (head banger type).

In the studio ... I just want a few moments of quiet to create without noise pollution. I do love music ... but I listen to less of it now, for peace of mind and sanity.

BD

Smileawhyl
02-02-2004, 12:45 PM
Do I use music as a source of inspiration when I paint? Nope!

I might if I lived somewhere else .. But here, finding quiet away from music is a daily challenge. In Mexico there are no "disturbing the peace" violations. We are constantly bombarded by noise with no recourse. All the shops have huge speakers in their doorways blasting music into the streets (I guess this is suppose to attract customers ... I put my fingers in my ears and run past). I used to love to go to the parks to read .. but over a year ago they installed speakers thorughout all the parks ... so now music is piped in, very annoying. Kids have cars with speakers angled out of the windows with loud music blasting, enough to pop your eardrums. Cars with huge electrical megaphones drive up and down the streets all down soliciting this and that, from events, to advertisements, to political propoganda. The water and gas sales people blast bell and whistle noises and musical jingles. The hundred Churches in the area chime their bells all day long to remind people of their religious commitments. The car horn is used to the extreme here. If you live on a street where young people live together (like 3 women or 3 men) as I do, then you are treated to music every Friday and Saturday night until 5am (head banger type).

In the studio ... I just want a few moments of quiet to create without noise pollution. I do love music ... but I listen to less of it now, for peace of mind and sanity.

BD
Jeez BD, I think I'd go crazy living like that. Sometimes I can go for days and not wish to hear a sound when I get sensory overload, but to have no escape? Sounds like a field trip to the desert would be in order.

Keith Russell
02-02-2004, 07:31 PM
There are many types of headphones that fully enclose the ear, and isolate it from outside sounds. I have yet to find any that will completely cut you off from loud noises, but you could also start soundproofing your studio. (It's really not that expensive to greatly reduce the level of outside noise that creeps in.)

Partial soundproofing, combines with a good pair of enclosed headphones, and you'll be hearing the music you want, and not the noise.

K

Bad Dobby
02-02-2004, 07:55 PM
Jeez BD, I think I'd go crazy living like that. Sometimes I can go for days and not wish to hear a sound when I get sensory overload, but to have no escape? Sounds like a field trip to the desert would be in order.

Inside my house it is OK (except for when my University student neighbors party it up all night). Actually, before here, I lived isolated in the high desert of Northern New Mexico in the USA for 10 years. There was no pollution there .. no light pollution, no noise pollution, no air pollution. The only noise at night came from howling coyotes and wild winds. Sometimes It felt too quiet and isolated (plus I'd get snowed in). There I got tired of 6-8 months of winter.... so this is a nice change for me.

Mexicans just love noise .. part of their culture. Luckily I live in a big house that has some rooms suitable for escape, and a nice big enclosed garden to chill out in. I do need solitude to rejuvenate and focus.