PDA

View Full Version : Yes, we'll gather at the riiiiii-ver

sundiver
10-02-2003, 08:35 PM
When I was finished it reminded me of that old hymn.

This is a compilation of 2 photos I snapped of the same place as we were passing it in a boat. I'm not sure it works.
Is the contrast in the foreground too strong , or the background too weak? What about the colors in the church? Of course I can't even tell if the scan is any good; stupid monitor.
Advice! (please :) )
Thanks for looking.

Dyin
10-02-2003, 10:16 PM
well, I like it...it's like a 'peek' of the church as you're coming round the bend...oops...that's another song lol! Just as if you were canoeing down the river you are trying to see around the foreground to the focal point, the church, which I like the colors in.
I think if you lightened the trees behind the church it would NOT help as the dark allows the white to stand out...I like the whole concept of this one...it really works for me and is different than a lot of landscapes...

CarlyHardy
10-02-2003, 10:24 PM
Just had to drop in and sing along with you! Like the viewpoint for the church very much! The peek makes it more interesting and tells more of the story.

The one spot I do notice is the back of the church building which jumps out because of the sharper contrast in value between it and the tree trunk. I'd take that down a bit to keep the focus on the front of the church and the steeple.

carly

sundiver
10-03-2003, 06:51 AM
Thanks, Sue and Carly! :)
I agree about that back part of the church, it needs dulling down.

jackiesimmonds
10-03-2003, 08:39 AM
Just one more thought - why not bring a little of the blue you have used, for the roof of the church, or perhaps just half a shade darker, into the foliage of the foreground trees. They are a little heavy in tone, and given that they are right up close to the viewer, I think there might be a bit more variety in the mid-dark tones.

J

meowmeow
10-03-2003, 08:51 AM
Neat painting! I like it a lot!
I agree about not lightening the trees in the background, but I might try to add a bit of greyish blue to dull them down a bit.
I like the idea of adding some blue to the front, even some ighter blue to add interest and a bit of highlighting.

Sandy

blissfullyunaware
10-03-2003, 10:43 AM
This is very pretty and I agree with Sue ... like it just the way it is... :D .... very nice (is this part of the water project?) Take care Sharon

ctmobitz
10-03-2003, 10:46 AM
Love the lights, darks and shadows they are all so well executed...congrats

great painting!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Claude

sundiver
10-03-2003, 03:33 PM
Thanks, Jackie, Sandy, Sharon and Claude! :)
Jackie and Sandy, your advice is bang-on, thanks!