PDA

View Full Version : Unison deal at Amazon + storage help

jakertanner
11-08-2014, 10:03 PM
Hi,

Just had a credit from Amazon due some incorrect charges so I decided to get some pastels...lol So I have Prime, which includes free 2-day shipping, so I got 10 open stock Unison pastels, one of them is an SC, for $30 and change...which was actually free due to their error...lol The pastels range between $2.35-$6.11 each, but on average, I found a lot of them for a $3 average.

So, now I have roughly 40 or so in my collection...how would you suggest I store them if not in a pastel storage box? Are there any unique homemade boxes that others have used for Unisons? I was contemplating a low=profile jewelry box from the local arts and crafts store..and line that, or even use a wooden serving tray found at the same store...any cool suggestions?

Thanks.

AnnaLisa
11-09-2014, 09:49 AM
Hi Jake,

I have more than 100 Unison and I store them in the boxes they come in.
I break them in halfs so the other half I have in my Wood box with all the other pastels.

jakertanner
11-09-2014, 10:45 AM
Hi Annalisa, unfortu lately, I only have 2 portrait boxes of 8 so a lot are loose.

Still-trying
11-09-2014, 02:07 PM
Jake, the art store in Red Bank sells empty Unison boxes. G S P Redbank Exit, to Colorest On Newman Springs Road. I would call first to be sure they have them. They usually have one like 36 and sometimes a 72 size. Get on their mailing list for coupons.
Btw, Terry Ludwigs fit pretty well in those boxes too.

jakertanner
11-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Great Jay, thanks, I didn't even know there was a store in Red Bank. Will look it up now.

BTW, just saw that Hobby Lobby carries a table top easel, that has a built-in drawer and it tilts forward too to eliminate more dust...it's about $60 but they have a 40% coupon...may go see that.

robertsloan2
11-10-2014, 12:30 AM
Unison boxes are probably your best choice at that store. I love them. They're good for storing most pastels and so sturdy. I wish I'd managed to ship the box with the empty set boxes from the pastels I put in my Dakota Traveller because I'd probably unpack and repack it in different ways and would have my Senneliers filtered out to get at them easily when I want that texture. Moral of the story, never toss any set boxes even if you do get a fancy wood box to store the pastels. They turn out useful for something else.

Terry Ludwig also sells empty Ludwig boxes of different sizes on his site. I was thinking of getting a 90 color one or two 60 color ones to consolidate all the Ludwigs that I have in one place. I did find on moving that the slotted foam boxes are the best protection and storage, the Dakota Traveller was second best (but close.)

jakertanner
11-10-2014, 09:02 AM
Thanks Robert. I was wondering how much tax or shipping would be? I can get an empty pastelbox from my local store for$13 but doesn't fit a lot of what I have.

I found a few wooden boxes from a craft store. Expecting a bunch of Unisons today and tomorrow, so I'm gonna experiment and put something together from what I got. Will post pics...I'd like feedback.

robertsloan2
11-10-2014, 09:20 AM
In a very shallow drawer in a wood box where I didn't have space for foam above and below, I put a couple of layers of soft flannel under the pastels and some felt, just crafts felt, above them. That was enough to keep its contents from being wrecked in shipping once it was packed solidly enough not to bang around within the shipping box. So there are some alternatives to memory foam that can be improvised. It's just such good foam and adjusts well to pastels of different sizes in the same box!

jakertanner
11-10-2014, 07:08 PM
Thanks!! Gonna wait until I get all of my new shipment..hopefully by tomorrow, to make the new boxes, then I'll post some pics.

jakertanner
11-11-2014, 08:54 PM
Here are the two storage boxes I came up with. One is hinged, and seals tight, so I can carry it. The other is a simple picture frame, than I lined.

The hinged box shows Unisons pastels, while the other has a mix of brands.

Grinner
11-15-2014, 12:31 AM
Hmm, clever use of a picture frame!

jakertanner
11-15-2014, 09:41 AM
Thanks!

robertsloan2
11-15-2014, 08:23 PM
Now that's clever! Putting foam in the different sections worked so well.

jakertanner
11-15-2014, 08:39 PM
Thanks. Sadly i may have to sell off my entire collection. I am most likely moving to Nevada and I'll rebuy them at Blick out there. I'm not 100% into the idea of selling gthem, but it may come down to it. I should post some additional pictures to see if there is an interest for the lot.

robertsloan2
11-15-2014, 09:03 PM
Why not pack them securely and bring them if you're moving? I brought nearly all m pastels with me by packing them solidly into set boxes and foam padded boxes, then securely surrounding those with other art supplies and shipping my supplies by UPS. Once I knew where I was going I was able to do that. If you sell them you'd have to ship them to whoever's buying, then reorder and have new ones shipped to you.

With the frame tray I would lay flat foam over it and clamp a piece of mdf or the back of another box over it, strap them together securely enough that nothing inside will shift. That's how most of my pastels arrived solidly - contents of boxes padded and then packed so solid there was no room for any shaking around. Including stuffing around any gaps within the box that held multiple boxes. I saved a lot of bubble wrap from Blick and other orders and then got more of it from UPS.

jakertanner
11-15-2014, 11:17 PM
Robert, we are actually leaving everything behind. Selling everything off and traveling with barely anything. A total clean slate. We are also driving across country in a car, and not much room for anything, so I figured, selling them, even if I can fit them in the car, or ship them, I can use the extra cash for moving. We'd be paying about half of the rent we are paying now, so I know that I'll be able to replace them within a month or so..not too worried.

It's a back up plan in case we need the extra money for expenses...don't really want to, but I see better now, if I had to start over, what brands and colors to get.

robertsloan2
11-15-2014, 11:49 PM
Ah, okay, if you'd be swapping out what you have for what you wish you bought, why that'd be attractive. I'd still put together a field kit out of what you have though, so you can paint en route. If you are doing a road trip like that, you will have ample opportunity to go through beautiful places and just wish you had a field kit with you.

jakertanner
11-16-2014, 07:52 AM
True Robert. May just do that with nupastels though..lol

Blayne
11-16-2014, 12:24 PM
Jake, such a cool idea making a box out of picture frames! And your trip and move sounds so free-hearted and open to adventure. I agree, take a few pastels--the box could fit under the driver's seat--and I suggest you add a piece of at least one very dark pastel to your Nupastel set. I can never get a truly dark from them, and it would be easy to slip in a small piece of your preferred dark workhorse. Happy traveling!

jakertanner
11-17-2014, 07:35 PM
Thanks Blayne. 2 weeks and its a trip across country. I will rebuy all pastels, but maybe a bit more focused now that I know what's what's. I'm selling my lot to get some extra gas money. Check out the swap shop for more pics,thanks.