PDA

View Full Version : First Real Attempt

SeaScaper
11-08-2014, 07:43 PM
I just got home from my first painting class. I had a lot of fun. There's still a lot to learn! I didn't like how close they had us sitting together (I get a bit claustrophobic in small spaces) and the only gave us two brushes to work with. One was large and one was small, but the small was still too big to get the small details in, but we managed. :)

So, the things I learned. I need to practice blending, especially on the water glare. I think I had my brush going the wrong way doing that part. I need to relax more and try not to be so perfect. Mainly with birds I found myself trying to "fix" them and made them worst. I also learned that less is more. I got a little carried away doing branches on the trees on the right side and had to try to cover some up.

Over all, I did enjoy it and will continue working on it. Any other pointers from you are welcome! :)

wilfred
11-08-2014, 11:08 PM
SeaScaper, you did pretty well in your first painting class! Next step, maybe add some shadings of brown on the trees since they are on the foreground?

WebCat
11-09-2014, 04:10 AM
You did a great job! And you have a lot of talent. It looks like you like symmetry with everything nice and even and in multiples of two. Did you know that about yourself? Every time a person paints they reveal things about themselves. The reflected shadow under your flying goose is a nice touch. It also brings that goose up to a multiple of two. ;)

Nature rarely has anything that can be divided by two (unless its an animal pair bond). But this is your interpretation and I find it very pleasing to look at.

Your instincts are good. The thin trees that we can look through were a good choice. l like the glare on the water. It fits in perfectly with the style of this painting.

I'm so glad you're having fun! It shows in your painting. I can't wait to see more paintings.

gaykir
11-09-2014, 09:42 AM
Welcome. For a first attempt I'd say you did a fine job. Save this one forever and some day you can drag it out and see how far you've come as you learn and develope your own style. Have fun with your class.

ColinS
11-09-2014, 10:29 AM
Welcome to the Forum. This is a great first painting. I like the lattice effect created by the trees.

Reflections on water are very difficult, and over time you will get a sense for this kind of thing. Have fun with the next painting!

Charlie's Mum
11-09-2014, 11:02 AM
A warm welcome to painting, acrylics and to the forum.

I agree with the posts above and just emphasise you've done well for a first!

You ask for pointers - well, follow these links and you'll learn a lot from here!:)

First, we have an Information Kiosk (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=329) where we keep lots of interesting and informative threads. It's a sub forum here so always available above the main forum opening page.
Go there and check out our Classrooms Index (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432555) - lots of reading but if you try to follow any that interest you, you will learn!:)

Also in the IK is a 'Tips for Acrylic Painters' thread - that might be useful to you.

At the top of the main forum page you'll find a number of 'sticky' threads, one of which is an Umbrella thread for links to commonly asked questions (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1363257) - take a look!

These should all help!

Mostly, keep practicing and enjoy your painting!:D

RPut
11-09-2014, 07:14 PM
Welcome! And a FINE First Time!

menko
11-10-2014, 05:12 AM
Hello fellow newbie, and a very well done to you!

chammi kaiser
11-10-2014, 05:14 AM
A very warm welcome from me too. You certainly do have talent and this is excellent for a first attempt. You will enjoy the learning curve here. I have learned so much and never stop picking up new tips and new inspiration. I look forward to your next work.

LavenderFrost
11-10-2014, 12:12 PM
Very nice. Keep painting and experimenting.

dceska93
11-10-2014, 11:29 PM
Welcome to the forum and you did great for your first painting! I agree with all the comments above! I am a fairly new member myself and have learned quite a bit in only a short time. And I agree completely with Chammi that you will enjoy the learning curve. I know I do! Keep up the great work and great to have you here!!

old_hobbyist
11-11-2014, 12:02 AM
Great first attempt. Hopefully your brushes were flats. Why? Because flats have two flat sides, two rather sharp edges, and a flat tip. And because you paint with one hand, you have two ways of using each aspect of the brush - left and right or back and forth. Meaning that a flat gives you 10 ways of putting paint on the canvas.

SeaScaper
11-12-2014, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone! :)

I'm really looking forward to learning more about painting. I just completed my second painting following a Youtube tutorial and I am so proud of it. It's really much more relaxing than I thought it would be. Lots of fun! :)