PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Stilman & Birn epsilon skipping ink.

cat1lady
11-08-2014, 06:14 PM
I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I have the 6 x 8 wire bound Epsilon. I'm using three different pens; micron, Pentel hybrid technica and uni ball vision needle. It happens with all three pens which is why I think it's the paper. I'll be drawing along and all of a sudden the ink won't write on the paper. I can go over it and over it and it won't work and then all of a sudden when I get past the spot all is well again. It feels like it's some kind of sizing or something. Eventually I can go over the same spot again and the paper will take the ink, but not on the first pass. There is nothing visible on the paper.
I'll attach picture of what I'm working on so the post won't be so boring:)
The shrinking of the photo makes it really blurry, it's not real life.
Thanks.

vhere
11-09-2014, 05:20 AM
I've never had any problems. But I don't like micron pens so I use ink in fountain pens or with twigs mostly and sometimes the double ended water soluble pens.

Do you use hand cream before drawing? I sometimes get interesting textures because of that. The problem is exactly as you describe but on any paper.

cat1lady
11-09-2014, 01:23 PM
I hadn't used any hand cream. But, I'm wondering if using my kneaded eraser left residue behind. I think maybe I'll experiment. Thanks.

DrDebby
11-09-2014, 02:01 PM
Even if you haven't used hand cream, the oils from your hand can be absorbed by the paper and cause a resist.

vhere
11-09-2014, 04:41 PM
Could be the eraser. I don't like the kneaded ones so can't say from experience.