PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for attaching paper/canvas

bunford
11-08-2014, 01:41 PM
Ok, I have my easel set up in the spare room with all my painting gear. However, sometimes I fancy painting in the lounge whilst watching TV. I have just bought a Reeves Art and Craft A2 Workstation. Here it is: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reeves-Art-Craft-Workstation-A2/dp/B00110RIO4

I went for this because of the solid backplate and I am able to put it on my coffee table to use while watching TV. However, I have just thought of something and fancied some suggestions.

Basically, I will be using it to draw, charcoal sketch and paint in acrylics and oils. I plan to use the oil paper/canvas pad sheets for painting on and Bristol board paper to draw on. I am wondering what is the best way I can attach the sheets to the board so I can draw, sketch and paint on them?

I have though of double sided tape and blue tack so far. However, blue tack may 'bump' the paper on the drawing'/painting side and not sure if double sided tape will give/warp in time and may be difficult to take off after finishing. I also thought of clips, but will want to paint to the edges so clips might work for drawing, but not for painting.

Any ideas?

asmith38
11-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Some use masking tape, others staples, I use clothespins and move them as I'm getting to the edges. I haven't used paper for a long time, but in my limited experience, it seems that putting some gesso on both sides helps it stay flat. Also, I don't use a lot of water in my paints, so that's another factor.

This thread is one of many that come up if you do a search:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1324664&highlight=stretching+paper

bunford
11-08-2014, 03:43 PM
I am not necessarily talking about the "stretching" the paper out that you say comes up in other threads. I am looking for a way to have the paper supported hands free in the middle of the panel, so am more looking for a way to support the paper/canvas without damaging the painting rather than how to keep the paper flat as I know gessoing both sides will help stiffen the paper (also works to stop hardboard bending for info!).

asmith38
11-08-2014, 04:10 PM
Ok then, masking tape, staples, clips. Maybe someone else has a better idea.

Karendart84
11-08-2014, 04:16 PM
When I paint on canvas paper I cut a side of a cardboard box the tape to that. It will stand on my easel.

Lobke Spain
11-08-2014, 10:48 PM
I use masking tape. If you do use masking tape, buy blocks of paper that are only pinned down on a single side if you're able. Detaching papers from 4 sides can be such a pain, and if you're clumsy like me, you already have a tiny warp from trying to detach the paper from the block, which then makes it harder to get it flat on your board with the masking tape.

Some people use the double sided tape trick, but I found it clumsy to use, on many papers you do get a tiny bumps and if you're going to attach your paper to a backboard, you want it completely flat against the backboard so you get some kind of support that allows the pressure to pull off the paint easily from a brush. It's already harder on paper because unlike a canvas, it doesn't give way through spring, so you need all the support you can get. The more rrigid support I have behind my paper, the more comfortable I feel and the better I paint.